PDA

View Full Version : Injury Update: Manu Ginobili Questionable (Back), Everyone Else Okay

timvp
11-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Manu Ginobili's back has flared up again :(

He's questionable tonight against the Lakers. Pretty damn horrible news. We shouldn't overreact but a reoccurring back issue is about the last thing you wish on an aging basketball player.

All the sick players are reportedly feeling better. DeJuan Blair, who missed last game with a knee contusion, is expected to play.

bklynspursfan
11-13-2012, 02:47 PM
:bang

I hope he plays... We need his aggressiveness tonight.

Bruno
11-13-2012, 02:53 PM
$14,107,492

Paranoid Pop
11-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Man, if only Manu's contract ended one year earlier we could have signed Batum... Don't get me wrong Manu is awesome but his health problems are very very concerning at this point.

Chinook
11-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Man, if only Manu's contract ended one year earlier we could have signed Batum... Don't get me wrong Manu is awesome but his health problems are very very concerning at this point.

Actually, the better scenario would have been if Nic had just accepted his qualifying offer instead of taking Minnesota's offer sheet. Then he would have been unrestricted next summer, and the Spurs could have signed him without fear of Portland matching.

widowmaker
11-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Some icey hot and a shot of cocaine directly in the back should do the trick. Come on Manu I'm pulling for u tonight!

ajballer4
11-13-2012, 03:07 PM
http://youtu.be/Xn_ueKsDVLk

Manu-20
11-13-2012, 03:16 PM
I hope manus back probelms are nothing serious would hate to see him retire after this year but I would understand if he did.

loveforthegame
11-13-2012, 03:21 PM
This sucks. I hope it's not serious and they're just being extra cautious with him.

BillMc
11-13-2012, 03:23 PM
Manu Ginobili's back has flared up again :(

He's questionable tonight against the Lakers. Pretty damn horrible news. We shouldn't overreact but a reoccurring back issue is about the last thing you wish on an aging basketball player.

All the sick players are reportedly feeling better. DeJuan Blair, who missed last game with a knee contusion, is expected to play.

I'm getting a "Larry Bird at the end of his career vibe from Manu." :(

Bruno
11-13-2012, 03:35 PM
And if Manu is out, I want to see some Nando. Spurs second unit will need his creativity.

colargol
11-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Nando

:clap:hungry:

Paranoid Pop
11-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Yup Nando+Neal could be good if Nando handles the ball, would only make Neal deadlier to be able to play off the ball.

freetiago
11-13-2012, 04:02 PM
ginobilis become too much of a liability now
either breaks himself during the playoffs or misses most of the reg season
if he does decide to resign next year it should be for around 3 mil a year and the spurs could possibly get the 2 guard of the future

Bill_Brasky
11-13-2012, 04:29 PM
Manu :cry

hater
11-13-2012, 04:31 PM
no worries. Matt Bonner's feeling 100%

timtonymanu
11-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Damn it, Manu.

UZER
11-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Manu not playing has a Poppish 6-1 is too good too soon feeling to it.

AusSpur
11-13-2012, 04:43 PM
$14,107,492

Will be replaced by:

$854,389 &

$1,400,000

rmt
11-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Manu not playing has a Poppish 6-1 is too good too soon feeling to it.

The upcoming 5 game schedule should naturally take care of that too good 6-1 record.

KL2
11-13-2012, 05:01 PM
It's not like the Spurs will need him against this scrub ass lottery bound team tbh....

TMTTRIO
11-13-2012, 05:59 PM
time for Manu to retire and take on a coaching gig for the rest of the season. Fortunately we have enough guard talent that we can survive without him.

Vic Petro
11-13-2012, 06:02 PM
time for Manu to retire and take on a coaching gig for the rest of the season.

:rollin

TD 21
11-13-2012, 06:20 PM
I think we all know how this is going to end. He's not going to play tonight, he'll be day to day, he'll come back relatively soon, then as soon as he's on the precipice of being in game shape/rhythm, he'll have another setback and this time they'll shut him down long term. He'll miss weeks, maybe even months and whether they'll have him back in time at all (let alone in game shape/rhythm) for the playoffs will be in question. And if he does end up playing, it'll be like '08 or '11 all over again, where he's clearly not right. Then we'll look back at the playoff run and think, if only he were healthy. Same thing, different year. This is why last season was more than likely their last shot.

SpursRock20
11-13-2012, 06:58 PM
I think we all know how this is going to end. He's not going to play tonight, he'll be day to day, he'll come back relatively soon, then as soon as he's on the precipice of being in game shape/rhythm, he'll have another setback and this time they'll shut him down long term. He'll miss weeks, maybe even months and whether they'll have him back in time at all (let alone in game shape/rhythm) for the playoffs will be in question. And if he does end up playing, it'll be like '08 or '11 all over again, where he's clearly not right. Then we'll look back at the playoff run and think, if only he were healthy. Same thing, different year. This is why last season was more than likely their last shot.

http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=3099985&t=o (http://gifsoup.com/view/3099985/debbie-downer.html)

Dr. John R. Brinkley
11-13-2012, 07:10 PM

I see the logic but I think your overreacting and jumping the gun on this one.

crc21209
11-13-2012, 07:12 PM
I don't like the sound of this, but to me it sounds like it could be a day-to-day thing for quite awhile. Not good news...:td

siraulo23
11-13-2012, 07:14 PM

huh, cant say i disagree tbh

im hoping it's not the case this year

Johnny RIngo
11-13-2012, 07:31 PM
He's an expiring contract, right? Could be useful for a future trade....

Seventyniner
11-13-2012, 07:49 PM
Yup Nando+Neal could be good if Nando handles the ball, would only make Neal deadlier to be able to play off the ball.

I actually see this as a potential trade scenario for the Spurs. If Nando + Neal works out well enough, the Spurs could actually trade Danny Green and start Manu. Green + Bonner (mostly unguaranteed next year) + Mills (assuming Neal can become anything better than an atrocious defender) can bring back up to $11M in salary if my numbers are right. It's a relatively enticing package for a team trying to shed salary.

superjames1992
11-13-2012, 07:57 PM
Maybe we should shut down Manu for a solid amount of time. We don't really need him at this point in the season and we need his back to be okay long-term for the playoffs.

I don't know; it makes me sad to see him struggle with injuries over the last few years. :(

CGD
11-13-2012, 07:59 PM
$14,107,492

Meh, Spurs got a hell of a deal early on in his career.

Uriel
11-13-2012, 08:05 PM
The notion that this could be Manu's last season with the team is becoming more and more realistic. That would no doubt be a difficult reality for Spurs fans to swallow. But even though Manu at his best can still be a game changer, it cannot be denied that with the sheer depth of this team, going forward, he isn't nearly as valuable as he once was.

Kidd K
11-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Well, so much for another 2-3 years before we start to suck. Looks like it might start now.

Yeah, Ginobili's always hurt, but we won't win shit without him. Nobody on the team can carry enough load to help Tony and Timmy. Tim's too old to dominate the way he used to, and Tony's never really been an MVP type guy, just a great wingman.

If this back this is truly a career-ending type thing, we're basically just a better version of what the Hawks were for years. We'll win 50. . .but it won't mean shit come playoff time. We're 2nd round team at best without Manu. I hope this stuff about his injury being that significant is just doomsaying nonsense, and not entirely founded in reality.

timvp
11-13-2012, 08:37 PM
Tbh, I think it's good news that Ginobili is questionable and not definitely out. I don't expect him to play (I'd be shocked if he did play) but there's still hope this is just a minor thing that keeps flaring up.

At least I hope it is. There's simply no way that the Spurs can do much in the playoffs without Ginobili.

superjames1992
11-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Perhaps Manu can develop into more of a perimeter shooter like Brent Berry did late in his career.

Once Manu (and Timmy) retires, the Spurs won't be the same. Makes me sad. It's been amazing that we've been able to keep those two and Tony together on one team for so long. Not many teams these days can say that. :(

Yeah, who do you think is going to carry the team in the playoffs together with Tim and Tony?... Neal? De Colo?. Good luck with that
Bonner.

racm
11-13-2012, 08:39 PM
Tbh, I think it's good news that Ginobili is questionable and not definitely out. I don't expect him to play (I'd be shocked if he did play) but there's still hope this is just a minor thing that keeps flaring up.

At least I hope it is. There's simply no way that the Spurs can do much in the playoffs without Ginobili.

Better him being out now than in April, tbh...

Also :lol at all the meltdowns - I swear some of you just do it to repeat a tired shtick.

Stabula
11-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Well, so much for another 2-3 years before we start to suck. Looks like it might start now.

Tim's too old to dominate the way he used to

Not so fast...

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1672145/duncandunkin.gif

superbigtime
11-13-2012, 09:07 PM
Poor Manu, he must be very frustrated. He did make alot of slashing moves and twists to the basket vs Portalnd, that would rack up anyone else's back. I think shutting him down for a few games and/or limiting him to home games for a couple weeks may be the right thing. Who knows though. Typical scenario of him being tantalizingly close to returning to form. Hope this doesn't turn out to be a scenario like it was for Peja Stojakovic a couple years ago, always out with back spasms (he was on my fantasy team lol). Honestly as long as Manu's ankles are okay, he will be playing when it counts. He'll play with his head ripped off.

jon123spurs
11-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Ric Renner (@RicRenFSSW) tweeted at 8:13 PM on Tue, Nov 13, 2012:
Spurs are at 100% tonite..Knicks are up big on Orlando in the closing moments..so, NYK will come into ATT Thurs as the NBA's only Undefeated. Maybe manu is playing.

intlspurshk
11-13-2012, 09:23 PM
SPURS have to shallow some losses to develop the young players like Mill and Nando, maybe CJ as well. It also helps to move up in the draft. It's not like SPURS will be a contender for this season when the team's big 3 become big 1.5 whereas other contenders have legitmate big 3 or even big 3.5.

racm
11-13-2012, 09:55 PM
SPURS have to shallow some losses to develop the young players like Mill and Nando, maybe CJ as well. It also helps to move up in the draft. It's not like SPURS will be a contender for this season when the team's big 3 become big 1.5 whereas other contenders have legitmate big 3 or even big 3.5.

You'd seriously blow Tim Duncan's final contract on a tanking session?

The Spurs could use moving up in the draft but they've done their best with late first rounders. See George Hill (26th) compared to James Anderson (20th).

HI-FI
11-13-2012, 10:01 PM
guess I'll go back to tempering my playoff hopes. I suppose it's better to have this stuff happen now before we resign him to a new deal, just so the FO has a more complete picture. He certainly hasn't been Capt. Reliable the past few years. I know he's a unique player but are there any Ginobli-esque guys out there?

ElNono
11-13-2012, 10:04 PM
Non-Issue

Spursfan092120
11-13-2012, 10:07 PM
WE'RE 6 AND FUCKING 1!!! Either jump off the cliff or come back to reality. Settle down. Manu hasn't been healthy for any game yet, and we're 6 and 1.

jestersmash
11-13-2012, 10:08 PM
The NBATV on court reporter said Ginobili took about 20-30 practice shots but was "grimacing" throughout. He stretched before and after.

HI-FI
11-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Non-Issue
Let's pay him a lot and sign him long term, plus trade Bonner
/El Nnono

ElNono
11-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Let's pay him a lot and sign him long term, plus trade Bonner
/El Nnono

Not a lot... If Tim gets $10m/season in his twilight, Manu for $8m/season if he wants to continue for 2 more seasons is reasonable.

Bonner has to go though.

spectator
11-14-2012, 01:07 AM
man, this does not look good for poor manu. if he continues to struggle with his back, will the spurs try to sign him again? will they afford a max-type contract?

Kidd K
11-14-2012, 03:17 AM
Not so fast...

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1672145/duncandunkin.gif

lol, true true.

But I mean like. . .if we assume Manu's gone (hypothetically), we would need at least 2007 Duncan to win. Maybe een 2005 Duncan. Don't think we'd quite need the 2002 or 2003 Super Duncan, but basically right now we have 2010 Duncan. . .which as nice as that is, won't be enough since the rest of the team won't be able to overcome all these super teams we're seein now.