PDA

View Full Version : Splitter just played his best game of the season..

Malik Hairston
11-14-2012, 12:52 AM
It's about time, tbh..

9 points, 9 boards, a couple of assists and steals, a block and he finally played tough inside..

dylankerouac
11-14-2012, 12:56 AM
Great to hear. My cable box shat on itself.

Josepatches_
11-14-2012, 12:57 AM
TD/Splitter did a good job. We should play them together more time

DPG21920
11-14-2012, 12:58 AM
He did so much more than his stats. He got his hands on a lot of balls that gained the Spurs extra possessions and really played tough.

loveforthegame
11-14-2012, 12:59 AM
He did a good job on the boards and played hard. :tu

Whisky Dog
11-14-2012, 01:00 AM
Splitter needed this kind of game. Pop needs to play him more immediately in the next game next to Tim if possible and ride that momentum.

HI-FI
11-14-2012, 01:00 AM
Amen..

statement game from him.

Malik Hairston
11-14-2012, 01:01 AM
He did so much more than his stats. He got his hands on a lot of balls that gained the Spurs extra possessions and really played tough.

True, his positional D was also solid(he got called for a shitty foul against Kobe IMO)..

lakerhaterade
11-14-2012, 01:01 AM
Agree with DPG, and OP. Splitter did work that won't show up on the stat line. Great tough outing by the Euro.

007nites
11-14-2012, 01:02 AM
For sure. He played like a grown man out there tonight. Getting grown man rebounds and other GROWN MAN MOVES.

therealtruth
11-14-2012, 01:03 AM
Surprising what a little confidence can do. That's why he should probably start. He's a confidence player. I think they may need to start Manu to get him going.

crc21209
11-14-2012, 01:04 AM
His D and hustle all over the floor was HUGE tonight...:tu

lefty
11-14-2012, 01:05 AM
lol Split pwning Dwight in the 4th :lol

Manu-20
11-14-2012, 01:08 AM
Pop needs to start splitter that is the best way to get him going and get the most out of him.

Obstructed_View
11-14-2012, 01:09 AM

Yep, starting like two years ago.

JRHernandez88
11-14-2012, 01:10 AM
I like what I saw today from him. He played hard & hustled

UZER
11-14-2012, 01:14 AM
Pop needs to stop playing around and let Splitter and Duncan become a twin tower duo this season. Stop benching Splitter every time he plays bad. Let him play through it. We're gonna need it in the playoffs.

And thank goodness Bonner didn't see a minute of action. You can't coach height.

jag
11-14-2012, 01:16 AM

Oh yeah?

SayTown
11-14-2012, 01:19 AM
Splitter grew a pair and man'd up tonight, if only he could play this way all the time

freetiago
11-14-2012, 01:19 AM
splitter can always play like this
the problem is he always plays next to a 6'7 SG as his PF
then hes stuck rotating to get neal/manus guys since there horrible defenders and he has to boxout 2 7 footers and try to grab a rebound
if he plays with another 7 footer or a decent PF and doesnt have to play like dwight howard to look average then hell be fine

SA210
11-14-2012, 01:21 AM
Tiago was awesome. I hope Pop continues to start him, and hope he stays healthy

jag
11-14-2012, 01:21 AM
I'd like to see Pop free Tiago, but until he toughens up he'll rarely receive more than "matchup" minutes.

Mouth is Bleeding
11-14-2012, 01:26 AM
Offense is terrible with Splitter and Timmy and arguably only works very well defensively against the unique LA big man combo but where Pau also has a lot tougher time guarding quicker players at the PF.

The NBA has changed a lot and playing two centers, maybe not even if they're as good as what the lakers have, but certainly not a Duncan-Splitter tandem, won't win longterm in the current climate.

Obstructed_View
11-14-2012, 01:28 AM
Offense is terrible with Splitter and Timmy and arguably only works very well defensively against the unique LA big man combo but where Pau also has a lot tougher time guarding quicker players at the PF.

The NBA has changed a lot and playing two centers, maybe not even if they're as good as what the lakers have, but certainly not a Duncan-Splitter tandem, won't win longterm in the current climate.

We've had ample time to see smallball fail. I'd like Duncan and Splitter get a stretch of games to prove you correct.

SA210
11-14-2012, 01:29 AM
We've had ample time to see smallball fail. I'd like Duncan and Splitter get a stretch of games to prove you correct.

SpurPadre
11-14-2012, 01:31 AM
he was solid but damnit he needed to do a better job of securing that board at the end of the game. He still needs to show more balls out there but yeah, it was a good game for him and hopefully he can build from it.

spurraider21
11-14-2012, 01:33 AM
What about when OKC plays small and puts Durant at the 4? Splitter couldn't even post up Fisher last year.

Obstructed_View
11-14-2012, 01:35 AM
What about when OKC plays small and puts Durant at the 4? Splitter couldn't even post up Fisher last year.

gnsf tbh.

freetiago
11-14-2012, 01:38 AM
as soon as splitter got the ball they called him for an offensive foul
duncans postup on artest would have gotten him ejected if he was splitter

he also gets called for the stupidest fouls
like when kobe runs right into a stationary splitter with his arms up

Mouth is Bleeding
11-14-2012, 01:39 AM
I was also on the Splitter more minutes bandwagon for a long time, including with Duncan and it makes sense for Pop to follwup on last season's big-man success against the Lakers, but we have Diaw now and tbh I think we could have won (much?) more comfortably with him playing the extended PF minutes tonight.

But will take the win of course and whatever lessons (including shambolic offense by Spurs standards) learned by Pop going forward.

DAF86
11-14-2012, 01:39 AM
If we're not going to get another big I want to see a rotation of Duncan/Diaw/Splitter on the playoffs. No Blair or Bonner, no matter what.

Spur|n|Austin
11-14-2012, 01:45 AM

Word!

spurraider21
11-14-2012, 01:57 AM
gnsf tbh.
Ok rather than being condescending, how about having a memory of how Splitter has played over the long haul. If he gets better or keeps playing strong, I'll be his biggest supporter. But even this season we have seen Splitter go soft, finishing at the rim palm up instead of finishing with authority. This was a response to those saying we should play Tim and Splitter together more often. I think Splitter is still better off with the second unit so we can have a rim presence even when Duncan sits.

Somebody here proposed we should play the 2 centers together regularly. If the Thunder do indeed go small, how confident are you that the Spurs can truly take advantage on offense, keeping in mind Duncan or Splitter would have to defend an athletic perimeter player.

Don't gnsf me. I resent that. Just because I haven't been posting on this forum doesn't mean I haven't been an educated fan throughout the years.

Malik Hairston
11-14-2012, 02:05 AM
I'm not a fan of Duncan/Splitter playing together against teams other than both LA teams and Memphis IMO..against other teams, Diaw is a better matchup..

Regardless, it's nice to see Splitter playing up to his potential and playing with balls..hopefully he starts finishing at the rim at the rate that we're accustomed to seeing..

Fully agree with Daf about the big rotation..hopefully neither Blair nor Bonner see the floor at any point during the post-season..

silverblk mystix
11-14-2012, 02:13 AM
Pop needs to stop playing around and let Splitter and Duncan become a twin tower duo this season. Stop benching Splitter every time he plays bad. Let him play through it. We're gonna need it in the playoffs.

And thank goodness Bonner didn't see a minute of action. You can't coach height.

Well, fucking DUH!!!!!

Years and years and any moron can see this....but wait....you don't have 4 rings so.....nevermind....

Pop knows better than what was obvious years ago....

This has only been obvious for a couple of seasons now...but I am sure Pop will immediately bench Tiago and bring back Bonner-ball!!!!!

Obstructed_View
11-14-2012, 02:15 AM
Don't gnsf me. I resent that. Just because I haven't been posting on this forum doesn't mean I haven't been an educated fan throughout the years.
Apologies for punting, but frankly, if you say "Splitter couldn't post up Derek Fisher" I don't consider you an educated fan, and I came to that conclusion while trying to explain it to you. Perhaps you were being hyperbolous or ironical, but citing a single bad play, particularly a freak play, to say why you think a player sucks is weak tea.

The Spurs have plenty of options to go small. Durant at the 4 is something that might need to be countered if it's effective, but it's something you evaluate at the time. Failing to play your best bigs together because the possibility exists that one of two teams with an incredibly talented small forward might change their lineup makes absolutely no sense, and failing to do so because Splitter got called for a cheap foul last year against a backup point guard is an order of magnitude less sensible. You play talented players together, and you play combinations that work, and you play your best center next to your best power forward. Up to this point, Duncan and Splitter have an embarrassingly small body of work together after three years.

Great teams impose their will and make other teams adjust. It'd be nice for the Spurs to do that for a change. Challenge a team to get past you, and once they get there, they've got to try to score over the trees. If they miss, that ball's not coming back down. If they figure out a way to break it down, then you adjust. If they shoot over it, you adjust.

A lot of us were excited to see Splitter and Duncan together in 2010. If it's such a bad idea, I wonder why Pop goes to it when he wants to beat the Lakers or when he gets desperate in the postseason. It's way past time to find out how it works for a longer stretch of games, and it's way past time for the Spurs to make sure both guys have plenty of rhythm together in case they need to be paired in the playoffs.

silverblk mystix
11-14-2012, 02:21 AM
Apologies for punting, but frankly, if you say "Splitter couldn't post up Derek Fisher" I don't consider you an educated fan, and I came to that conclusion while trying to explain it to you. Perhaps you were being hyperbolous or ironical, but citing a single bad play, particularly a freak play, to say why you think a player sucks is weak tea.

The Spurs have plenty of options to go small. Durant at the 4 is something that might need to be countered if it's effective, but it's something you evaluate at the time. Failing to play your best bigs together because the possibility exists that one of two teams with an incredibly talented small forward might change their lineup makes absolutely no sense, and failing to do so because Splitter got called for a cheap foul last year against a backup point guard is an order of magnitude less sensible. You play talented players together, and you play combinations that work, and you play your best center next to your best power forward. Up to this point, Duncan and Splitter have an embarrassingly small body of work together after three years.

Great teams impose their will and make other teams adjust. It'd be nice for the Spurs to do that for a change. Challenge a team to get past you, and once they get there, they've got to try to score over the trees. If they miss, that ball's not coming back down. If they figure out a way to break it down, then you adjust. If they shoot over it, you adjust.

A lot of us were excited to see Splitter and Duncan together in 2010. If it's such a bad idea, I wonder why Pop goes to it when he wants to beat the Lakers or when he gets desperate in the postseason. It's way past time to find out how it works for a longer stretch of games, and it's way past time for the Spurs to make sure both guys have plenty of rhythm together in case they need to be paired in the playoffs.

How dare you use common basketball sense in this forum. Pop is a hall of famer. 4 rings biatch.

How dare you insinuate that Lord Pop would not have done this years ago!

Blasphemy.

Raven
11-14-2012, 02:23 AM
i don't really know how i feel about splitter starting.. don't get me wrong, i always liked the guy and think his performances are underrated, but it just doesn't seem worth to start him all season just for a team with a losing record. Perhaps the matchup start is the best choice.

UZER
11-14-2012, 02:24 AM
Well, fucking DUH!!!!!

Years and years and any moron can see this....but wait....you don't have 4 rings so.....nevermind....

Pop knows better than what was obvious years ago....

This has only been obvious for a couple of seasons now...but I am sure Pop will immediately bench Tiago and bring back Bonner-ball!!!!!

My point was exactly...Pop has wasted more than a few years playing Bonner as a big. Most have been shouting that from the roof tops for a few years already...except of course the 4 rings people.

spurraider21
11-14-2012, 02:46 AM

We wanted to see Duncan-Splitter in '10 but that year Splitter started off hurt and missed camp and never really made much of an impact that year. Pop likes to have a rim protector on the bench so when Duncan sits we won't have to resort to the turd towers of Bonner and Blair. In '10 he often used McDyess as that backup. However if you remember near the end of that season McDyess moved into the starting 5. Memphis went on to pound us, but I do remember Splitter having a double double or two in that series.

As for why Pop starts Duncan and Splitter together in big games like this, its a matchup. It happened last season too. Last season in our first matchup with the Lakers pop sent out Duncan and Blair and for the first quarter had Duncan guarding Gasol. Yes, that means Blair was guarding Bynum. The game was never close. Bynum went on to finish with 30 rebounds. Less than a week later, in a game against the Lakers, this time in LA (I game I can gladly say I attended. I'm a lonely Spurs fan in Los Angeles, as you can imagine), Pop started Splitter with Duncan simply to counter the Laker twin towers, because he had no other choice. He did this in the third meeting against the Lakers as well, and it worked out well.

If the matchup demands it, such as a Lakers matchup, Pop will start Splitter with Duncan out of necessity. You should also realize that Duncan played 36 minutes tonight, something that was forced because there no longer could Pop sub in Splitter for Duncan. A Splitter-Duncan combo is also a possibility should we meet Memphis, or even the Clippers if Deandre Jordan keeps playing like he did against us last week. While a Duncan-Splitter combo is a good idea, it leaves our bench bigs all to be undersized. Would you really trust Diaw, Bonner, or Blair to protect the rim? Also, playing Tim and Splitter together is a huge risk because if one of them gets in foul trouble, there's a good chance we would have a turd tower sighting.

And yes, there was some hyperbole in the Splitter-fisher comment, as there was one painfully memorable sequence in that series. But over the course of the Thunder series, Splitter's impact was minimal. I will grant you that he sparked us in the 4th quarter of game 1, but he was virtually nonexistent the rest of the series. After that game 1 his high in rebounds was 2. The Thunder don't have their Perkins-Ibaka lineup out there for long stretches at a time. In those rare minutes, a Duncan-Splitter combo SHOULD be used, but the Thunder play a majority of their minutes with Durant as a stretch 4. I don't know if we could rely on Tiago or Duncan defending one of their perimeter players, and I'm equally unsure about Tiago's ability to score in isolation against smaller players, especially in crucial playoff moments.

spurraider21
11-14-2012, 02:49 AM
Continued... Ideally I'd like to see Splitter getting over 25 minutes a night. He is currently averaging 15 minutes per game and Bonner is averaging 10. By giving those minutes to Tiago, we could literally hit two birds with one stone.

Obstructed_View
11-14-2012, 03:07 AM
We wanted to see Duncan-Splitter in '10 but that year Splitter started off hurt and missed camp and never really made much of an impact that year.

Another oft-repeated thing that I disagree with, primarily because it's just not true. Splitter was indeed hurt during camp, but his lack of impact was due to all the DNP-CDs he racked up along with being pulled at the first mistake when he did get time and then benched as punishment for several games. Despite that, Splitter was the best player for the Spurs at times against Memphis, and there were a lot of people that knew the Grizzlies were going to be a nightmare matchup for the Spurs without a developed Splitter and without Splitter and Duncan having any time together. Among those that knew that: The Grizzlies.

Manu missed camp his rookie year due to a badly sprained ankle and he was well-established in the rotation by the playoffs.

If it fails, fine. It's never too late to go back to what you were doing before. It's ludicrous that they haven't gotten more time, and it's equally ludicrous that Splitter hasn't been more integrated into the rotation going on his third year with the team.

Everything else is speculation until we see how it goes.

spurraider21
11-14-2012, 03:09 AM
Another oft-repeated thing that I disagree with, primarily because it's just not true. Splitter was indeed hurt during camp, but his lack of impact was due to all the DNP-CDs he racked up along with being pulled at the first mistake when he did get time and then benched as punishment for several games. Despite that, Splitter was the best player for the Spurs at times against Memphis, and there were a lot of people that knew the Grizzlies were going to be a nightmare matchup for the Spurs without a developed Splitter and without Splitter and Duncan having any time together. Among those that knew that: The Grizzlies.

Manu missed camp his rookie year due to a badly sprained ankle and he was well-established in the rotation by the playoffs.

If it fails, fine. It's never too late to go back to what you were doing before. It's ludicrous that they haven't gotten more time, and it's equally ludicrous that Splitter hasn't been more integrated into the rotation going on his third year with the team.

Everything else is speculation until we see how it goes.
I'll be the first to agree Splitter's ineffectiveness that year was due to the DNP's. I never stated otherwise. He was definitely mismanaged that rookie season because (as I mentioned) we had McDyess on the bench, who was a competent backup rim protector (which we currently lack outside of Tiago)

therealtruth
11-14-2012, 03:20 AM

I remember a TWolves game last year. They tried going small with Derrick Williams at the 4. Splitter made them pay in the post and they had to abandon it very quickly. It's called imposing your will on the other team. Does anyone honestly believe the Spurs are going to win a championship by playing better small ball than the Heat? No they'll win by taking advantage of their lack of an inside presence.

DrSteffo
11-14-2012, 03:22 AM
Splitter is still very good. No surprises.

Fireball
11-14-2012, 06:01 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdguv9dm221qe6tsho1_500.jpg

Splitters smile says: "Finally I did something right" ...

Keep your confidence Tiago!

biskvito
11-14-2012, 06:05 AM
Whatever Pop does, it's good to hear Tony Parker interviews saying the focus has changed to defense in this season. This alone should give Splitter more playing time.

gee
11-14-2012, 08:42 AM

So good to see him finally play a tough game, good energy and hustle from him the way whole through.
His fucking face when the Spurs won after his scramble on the board was priceless, he looked like it was the greatest moment thus far in his life. Hopefully he enjoys the feel of winning a hard fought game and it motivates him to keep playing like this in the future.

Chase_the_Bass
11-14-2012, 10:27 AM

Looks like Duncan was anticipating Splitter to kick him in the balls.

Fireball
11-14-2012, 10:33 AM
Looks like Duncan was anticipating Splitter to kick him in the balls.

you're right :lol

Kobe's look at Artest is priceless as well ...

lakerhaterade
11-14-2012, 10:48 AM
you're right :lol

Kobe's look at Artest is priceless as well ...
:lol

benstanfield
11-14-2012, 11:45 AM
splitter can always play like this
the problem is he always plays next to a 6'7 SG as his PF
then hes stuck rotating to get neal/manus guys since there horrible defenders and he has to boxout 2 7 footers and try to grab a rebound
if he plays with another 7 footer or a decent PF and doesnt have to play like dwight howard to look average then hell be fine

ChumpDumper
11-14-2012, 10:54 PM
lol don't make excuses for him when he does well.

Poolboy5623
11-14-2012, 10:58 PM
He even made a free throw! The only way I can see the spurs contending is if they get more inside help or if pop just lets splitter play...then I see pop says, "expect more small ball" :-(

gambit1990
11-15-2012, 12:41 AM
i wanna see the dunk he got in the 2nd half.

cd021
11-15-2012, 01:31 PM

Against the Lakers, Grizzles, absolutely and and a couple of other games mixed in their. Maybe 15 games a season with both of them starting.

Malik Hairston
11-15-2012, 11:16 PM
Brilliant 4th quarter from Splitter..

Overall, consecutive quality performances from Splitter..with Parker struggling and Manu looking geriatric, the Spurs need Splitter to play like he did during last year's 2-3 week stretch where he played dominant ball..

SA210
11-15-2012, 11:19 PM
Even though I'm extremely pissed about the team choking the game away, this is good imo, as far as continuing the focus on D. I'll give some games away as long as we stick to a defensive mindset. Hopefully that happens. Tiago was awesome. Keep Bonner on the damn bench

Spurs Brazil
11-15-2012, 11:19 PM
He played well in the 4th but we can't forget he made Sheed look good.

Tiago still has to improve a lot on defense

Stabula
11-15-2012, 11:22 PM
Splitter looked great out there wish they would have kept him in to the end.

silverblk mystix
11-15-2012, 11:22 PM
Tiago was so awesome against the Lakers that it earned Blair a start for this game tonight.

Tiago was so awesome tonight against the knicks that it probably means Bonner will earn a spot and jump ahead of Splitter in the rotation for the next game.

Genius coach. 4 rings.

DPG21920
11-15-2012, 11:27 PM
tiago was awful in the first half. He's lucky he got another opportunity - he played well though when he did.

ElNono
11-15-2012, 11:29 PM
The big problem is we're one Tiago boo boo away from having to trot out Blair or Bonner out there... basically, Tiago has to play well or we're in deep shit.