PDA

View Full Version : Pop's Genius Down the Stretch

timvp
11-14-2012, 01:03 AM
What a great play Pop drew up for Danny Green's game-winner. Common sense said to give the ball to TP or TD but Pop's outside-the-box thinking was genius. When attacking the Lakers defense, their biggest weakness is Kobe's aimless roaming. He is ALWAYS looking to play the passing lanes and really just isn't good at navigating around screens.

So on the design of the play, Pop's play first took advantage of Kobe looking to make a play off the ball. Then it took advantage of Kobe being slow to get around screens. The result was a wide, wide open three-pointer. Great call, Pop :tu

And let's not forget the defense. Pop didn't flinch all game when Kobe was lighting up Green. For the final two minutes, he switched Leonard onto Kobe ... and dealing with Leonard's length seemed to throw Kobe's rhythm off. Pop's patience in not using the Leonard switch until the very end also ended up being genius.

Hall of Fame coach doing Hall of Fame things, to be honest.

lefty
11-14-2012, 01:06 AM
Great

Now stop playing fucking Matt Bonner in the playoffs and fucking up the rotations in a crucial WCF game 5

Wildcat67
Or he could of put Leonard on him to start the second half and we win by 10.

BillMc
Well said! Fantastic move by POP!

Obstructed_View
11-14-2012, 01:07 AM
What a great play Pop drew up for Danny Green's game-winner. Common sense said to give the ball to TP or TD but Pop's outside-the-box thinking was genius. When attacking the Lakers defense, their biggest weakness is Kobe's aimless roaming. He is ALWAYS looking to play the passing lanes and really just isn't good at navigating around screens.

So on the design of the play, Pop's play first took advantage of Kobe looking to make a play off the ball. Then it took advantage of Kobe being slow to get around screens. The result was a wide, wide open three-pointer. Great call, Pop :tu

And let's not forget the defense. Pop didn't flinch all game when Kobe was lighting up Green. For the final two minutes, he switched Leonard onto Kobe ... and dealing with Leonard's length seemed to throw Kobe's rhythm off. Pop's patience in not using the Leonard switch until the very end also ended up being genius.

All the credit in the world to Pop. Let's hope he does the same things in the playoffs when the team is desperate for a win. Last time I remember him doing this was when he put Jacque Vaughn under the basket so the Suns couldn't leave him alone.

ffadicted
11-14-2012, 01:08 AM
goat

Malik Hairston
11-14-2012, 01:08 AM
He's the best coach of my lifetime at drawing up game winning set plays, tbh..

I also like how he opted against using hack-a-Howard..it'll be part of the strategy if the Spurs face LA in the playoffs, especially if LA's offense improves under Pringles..

Spur|n|Austin
11-14-2012, 01:09 AM
And I don't think I saw a minute of the Red Sprockette tonight.

Fabbs
11-14-2012, 01:10 AM
:lol

Nathan89
Playing Tiago over 10 min was also a good decision.

lefty
And then everyone praising Pop right now will be calling for his head in the playoffs

gospursgojas
11-14-2012, 01:15 AM
Dont forget that great play he drew up for Matt bonner to sit on the bench

letmk
11-14-2012, 01:18 AM
As tony just told NBATV, Pop designed the play to take advantage KB's "cheat on defense by staying in the paint." That's a tremendous game plan.

SA210
11-14-2012, 01:19 AM
Are these signs that the old Pop is back? I hope the focus stays on D. I'll take lower scoring games over the 110 point games. As long as it's all about the Defense

Mugen
11-14-2012, 01:22 AM
Yeah he can outcoach Bernie Bickerstaff but can he outcoach Mike D'An... :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Arcadian
11-14-2012, 01:26 AM
Bonner - DNP CD :tu

lefty
11-14-2012, 01:27 AM
Pop didnt screw up in the playoffs

yaayyyyyyyyy..............

Bipolar Spurs fans :lmao

spurraider21
11-14-2012, 01:28 AM
Dont forget that great play he drew up for Matt bonner to sit on the bench
I'm still laughing at this haha

Darius McCrary
11-14-2012, 01:29 AM
TP completely validating timvp's take on NBA TV

racm
11-14-2012, 01:29 AM
Bonner should never play against the Lakers tbh

lefty
11-14-2012, 01:30 AM
Bonner should never play again

fify

SenorSpur
11-14-2012, 01:42 AM
Fantastic call by Pop to run a play for Green. In listening to TP's post-game comments on NBATV, he indicated that "we all know Kobe likes to cheat off his man and stay in the paint", which is EXACTLY what happened. Bryant got nudged off a pick and was late getting out on Green. I think Kobe was as surprised as anyone that the play was ran for Green. Excellent chess move by the master - Pop.

Another brilliant move by Pop was the insertion of Splitter into the starting lineup. A move likely made to help deal with the Fakers length. This is something that many here in the forum, myself included, have been pleading for for a couple of seasons now. While Splitter is just seemingly destined for a regular date with foul trouble, he was active on the offensive glass, defended Gasol as best he could and got some garbage baskets on putbacks. He even managed to draw a couple of key offensive fouls on Howard in the 4th quarter. While he still needs to be more aggressive, he did his job.

The last brilliant move by Pop was giving Bonner a DNP-CD. In my opinion, Bonner wasn't missed at all. The thought of him trying to go up against either Pau Gasol or Jordan Hill is a frightening one. It's a good thing we didn't have to endure it. I could certainly stand to see a few DNPs for the big red-head.

Big :tu to the head coach for this game!

Obstructed_View
11-14-2012, 01:44 AM
I have no problem with Bonner getting minutes, what I have a problem with is him getting ROTATION minutes. His minutes should correlate with how many baskets he makes. His time on the floor should result in one of two things: Increased three point attempts or a spike in points in the paint.

Splits
11-14-2012, 01:49 AM
Another brilliant move by Pop was the insertion of Splitter into the starting lineup. A move likely made to help deal with the Fakers length.

This is not new. Splitter started 2 games last season. Both of them were against the Lakers.

Stabula
11-14-2012, 02:10 AM

UZER
11-14-2012, 02:14 AM
Pop is Pop. He draws up good plays in crunch time...except for Terry Porter dribbling to his knees.

But we will all still be cursing his name if Bonner is a big in the rotations in the playoffs.

Fabbs
11-14-2012, 02:20 AM
Pop is genius. Who else could have thought of those moves?

Floyd Pacquiao
11-14-2012, 02:24 AM
I thought I saw coach Bud drawing up that play tbh could be wrong though.

Fabbs
11-14-2012, 02:38 AM
I thought I saw coach Bud drawing up that play tbh could be wrong though.
:lol:lol

Baseline
11-14-2012, 02:52 AM

Great point, timvp. Pop is astute enough to know that Bryant hasn't played real defense for probably four years, and even when he did play D, it was "hero" defense. Meaning he'll play the passing lanes for the flashy stea rather than just solid team defense.

Whatever the flashy, selfish, look-at-me play is...that's what he'll do 95% of the time. I mean, what's glamorous about fighting through a screen?

So it was that much sweeter that Pop took advantage of Bryant's tendencies and Danny Green made it pay off.

Stabula
11-14-2012, 02:56 AM
So it was that much sweeter that Pop took advantage of Bryant's tendencies and Danny Green made it pay off.

Exploiting Kobe's selfishness is always oh-so sweet.

Raven
11-14-2012, 03:28 AM
i still have nightmares of plays designed for udoka tbh

blizz
11-14-2012, 03:55 AM

The point is that pop intentionally left Leonard off him so that Kobe couldn't get used to his D and so that it would be a change that Kobe would have to adjust to

lakerhaterade
11-14-2012, 03:56 AM
i still have nightmares of plays designed for udoka tbh
Udoka was a sorry ass player

Raven
11-14-2012, 04:11 AM
Udoka was a sorry ass player

that's why there shouldn't have been plays designed for him in the clutch ..

ChumpDumper
11-14-2012, 04:12 AM
Pop is genius. Who else could have thought of those moves?Not you.

buttsR4rebounding
11-14-2012, 06:38 AM
Yeah he can outcoach Bernie Bickerstaff but can he outcoach Mike D'An... :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

I don't know. Bernie had this wonderful insight after the game:

"If I can quote Shakespeare, the problem lies not within the stars, it lies within ourselves."-- Lakers coach Bernie Bickerstaff

Does that mean he's blaming it on the bench?

benefactor
11-14-2012, 06:57 AM
Another good thing is none of this should change when D'Antoni finally takes over. Pop was notorious for going into the fetal position against PJ but it's the exact opposite with Pringles. Pop has literally made a career out of outcoaching him. We'll see plenty more coaching goods from Pop if the Spurs see the Lakers in the playoffs.

turkish spurs fan
11-14-2012, 08:18 AM
nearly the same game winner set againts magic http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Qr58diX9L5c

via http://filelisepet.blogspot.com/2012/11/

spurspokesman
11-14-2012, 08:30 AM

My thinking exactly. Pop didnt show his hand until late hoping that the spurs would either be ahead or within a hair of the lakers and then throw leonard at kome. I had a gut feeling that pop set the play for green but told the guys if your open in a comfortable spot just let it fly.

Budkin
11-14-2012, 11:11 AM
I watched the play several times over on the DVR. Man they couldn't have run it more perfectly.

DejuanorwhatDude
11-14-2012, 11:34 AM
If you see the look on Danny Green's face right before the play you can tell he was gonna shoot. He had this deer in the headlights look right before it happened.

silverblk mystix
11-14-2012, 11:36 AM
It only took 3 years for Pop to realize he had no one else to pair with Timmy except for Splitter, but Pop made DAMN sure that Splitter was over himself before giving him minutes.

Next game though, Splitter is back to the doghouse. Oh yeah, Pop also mentioned that more "small ball" is coming.

Genius coach.

ace3g
11-14-2012, 01:38 PM
Gregg Popovich: Rare And Surprising
http://hoopchalk.com/2012/11/14/gregg-popovich-rare-and-surprising/

shows how they set up the play with pictures

dbreiden83080
11-14-2012, 01:51 PM
Praise of Pop..

Wow!!!

11-14-2012, 01:55 PM
The play for Green was pretty intelligent. Letting Green get abused over and over by simple screens was not.