PDA

View Full Version : Quick Grades: Spurs @ Lakers - Nov. 13, 2012

timvp
11-14-2012, 01:27 AM
Tim Duncan A
Did very good work on Howard. Offense got better as game progressed. High level play continues.

Manu Ginobili C-
Ugly on the offensive end. Wasn’t moving well. Defense was surprisingly pretty darn good.

Tony Parker B+
Solid defense. Took care of the ball. Very good shot selection. Made some big buckets.

Kawhi Leonard B
Unsure of himself early on. Morphed into a beast once the fourth quarter began.

Danny Green C-
Woeful D against Bryant. Took some iffy shots. Energy was a plus throughout and hit game-winner.

Tiago Splitter A
Great effort. Concentrated on defense, rebounding and other small things. Wasn’t soft at all.

Stephen Jackson B
Wasn’t completely in rhythm offensively but hit a couple key shots. Helpful D.

Boris Diaw C+
Really good defense but didn’t rebound or do much offensively.

DeJuan Blair C-
Played out of control most of the game but wasn’t a total disaster.

Gary Neal C
Reportedly cut open his finger after last game. That could explain his donut.

Patrick Mills B
Brought energy to the team in the second half. Shot without hesitation.

Pop A
Great call on game-winner. Defensive strategies were sound. Starting Splitter paid off.

egtonecity
11-14-2012, 01:30 AM
Spurs played down to their competition, tbh.

lefty
11-14-2012, 01:31 AM
TP has been great this season tbh

so far .........

TDMVPDPOY
11-14-2012, 01:34 AM
wouldve given parker a C had the spurs loss the game, there was a moment in the 4th he went kobe on us and missed consecutive shots that hurted us when the lakers took the most of the opportunities...

tim_duncan_fan
11-14-2012, 01:36 AM
Matt Bonner A++
Did not step on the court. Best decision in quite a few years.

TheSkeptic
11-14-2012, 01:39 AM
Matt Bonner A++

Hear hear.:toast

lefty
11-14-2012, 01:39 AM
Lakers fans giving props to Pops

http://www.clublakers.com/lakers-gameday/tues-lakers-spurs-predictions-comments-t136340-900.html

Capt Bringdown
11-14-2012, 01:43 AM
Splitter's dreadful scoop shot near the end of the game should have cost him at least one letter grade. Driving to the basket while extending the ball waist high ain't the shot you want in crunch time.
Granted, I missed the first 3 quarters.

letmk
11-14-2012, 01:44 AM
What I don't like:

Didn't get into any offense flow for the whole night. Pop didn't find any working combination.

Tony missed three quick shots within a very short time frame. Seems that he wanted to KB us into a win, instead almost KBed us a loss.

What I like:
Leonard hit an important mid-range jump-shot under time time pressure with an assist from Tim, which is a very pleasant surprising to me.

Pop's game call tonight. Not only the final play, which we are all talking about, but also that he didn't put an inefficient Manu into the game down the stretch.

SenorSpur
11-14-2012, 01:45 AM
Matt Bonner A++

Here, here, here :toast

SenorSpur
11-14-2012, 01:46 AM
The most disappointing aspect to this game for me was Manu. He was an offensive train wreck and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. While he was surprisingly active on D, I just wonder if his back was affecting his shooting stroke? He was just awful.

Obstructed_View
11-14-2012, 01:47 AM
Splitter's dreadful scoop shot near the end of the game should have cost him at least one letter grade. Driving to the basket while extending the ball waist high ain't the shot you want in crunch time.
Granted, I missed the first 3 quarters.

I agree, but nobody was making plays going toward the basket in the entire fourth quarter up to that point. Duncan scored that bank shot on the inbound after that play.

Capt Bringdown
11-14-2012, 01:49 AM
I agree, but nobody was making plays going toward the basket in the entire fourth quarter up to that point. Duncan scored that bank shot on the inbound after that play.
Thank goodness we got the ball back after that.

Stabula
11-14-2012, 01:50 AM
The guy who hit the game winner for us gets the same grade as Ginobili who played like total and complete ass? Also DeJuan Blair was a complete disaster I groaned every time I saw that guy step onto the court he deserved a solid F. Gary Neal also deserved an F with Ginobili probably deserving a D. Parker should get a B- he should have had a silly game in a contest where he was the only NBA caliber point guard on the court.

Major props to Splitter he deserves a solid A with Duncan perhaps getting an A-. Duncan had a strong performance again but had a few costly mental lapses where he hesitated or tried to do too much on his own instead of making the right pass.

Spurs da champs
11-14-2012, 01:53 AM
Dwight looks like a midget next to Tim, tbh.

lakerhaterade
11-14-2012, 01:56 AM
Matt Bonner A++
Drink to that.

UZER
11-14-2012, 01:56 AM
As much as I love howTony has matured into a great point guard, his lack of a dead eye mid range pull up if just mind blowing. If he had that like paul, or williams, he would be unguardable. I hate when I see defenders constantly sag the pick n roll with Timmy...then instead of taking the j...he just backs out and runs it over and over until he gets to the hole or passes out. It bogs down the offense.

aal04
11-14-2012, 01:58 AM
Kobe was one step ahead of Pop....

Kobe's plan was to let Green hit a 3, so he can reply with a real game winner.

Unfortunately, Pau Gasol took the early shot.

lakerhaterade
11-14-2012, 01:58 AM
Also I think you're a bit harsh on Danny, timvp.

That game winning shot alone should bump him up half a letter grade at least.

Capt Bringdown
11-14-2012, 02:00 AM
Wasn't it Green who stripped Howard's defensive rebound in the 4th? Didn't we score on that possession? That plus burying the game-winner in Kobe's face is more than a C- IMO.

007nites
11-14-2012, 02:17 AM
Didn't green get some key steals and 2 key offensive rebounds as well? I would give Green a C+ tbh.

Obstructed_View
11-14-2012, 02:20 AM
Any game where Danny steps up toward the end, and thrives instead of shrinks in the big moment, we should all be encouraged. He got to first base with pressure tonight. He has a few more months under Jack's tutelage to fully learn to make love to it.

Darius McCrary
11-14-2012, 02:21 AM
Any game where Danny steps up toward the end, and thrives instead of shrinks in the big moment, we should all be encouraged. He got to first base with pressure tonight. He has a few more months under Jack's tutelage to fully learn to make love to it.

And OV has his first vintage quote of the new season.

skulls138
11-14-2012, 02:22 AM
Yes, better for Green.

Fireball
11-14-2012, 02:38 AM
Also I think you're a bit harsh on Danny, timvp.

That game winning shot alone should bump him up half a letter grade at least.

Agreed ... hitting the game winner gives him a B! Great game ... thanks for the grades TIMVP

Obstructed_View
11-14-2012, 02:59 AM

I hope that's a good thing. I usually get quoted when I'm trolling someone.

Kidd K
11-14-2012, 03:34 AM

lol. You know dude, I would NOT put that past Kobe. He was obviously pissed he didn't get the ball at the end of the game (his own fault though), and he absolutely gave up a 100% clean look on Green. . .a guy who requires very little defensive attention.

Of course, Kobe is far and away the most overrated defender in the NBA. The fact that he keeps getting gifted all defensive team awards when he clearly does next to nothing on defense for 80% of every game is proof enough. Even worse, Lakers coach is constantly hiding Kobe on the worst perimeter threat at all times. Shit is a joke. The Del Negro defense is now the Kobe defense. So I'd also believe Kobe just blew it since he sucks on D'. I doubt he thought a player who's more likely to jump back 5 feet just to shoot a three than shoot a wide open 18 footer was going to actually dribble into the paint where 3-4 defenders were.

Mouth is Bleeding
11-14-2012, 03:39 AM
but something needs to done about the Kahwai Leonard on a nice looking fast break=automatic offensive foul as soon as he goes to the basket.

Hoops Czar
11-14-2012, 04:48 AM
Manu needs to be shut down until he's right. He's just wasted out there. I can't stand watching him struggle through games any longer.

buttsR4rebounding
11-14-2012, 06:16 AM
Manu needs to be shut down until he's right. He's just wasted out there. I can't stand watching him struggle through games any longer.

The last game he played 28 minutes. I wonder if his back can't handle that. With the depth at guard I agree completely. Get well, then limit him to 20 minutes until the playoffs.

gee
11-14-2012, 08:27 AM
but something needs to done about the Kahwai Leonard on a nice looking fast break=automatic offensive foul as soon as he goes to the basket.

I think over the last 3 games it's been 5 consecutive Kawhi drives to the hoop and all of them offensive fouls

gee
11-14-2012, 08:30 AM

The way Manu plays at the moment makes me :cry :cry :cry
So depressing to see him have degraded so far so fast

Fireball
11-14-2012, 08:52 AM
You cannot say Manus game has degraded ... he played at a very high level at the Olympics just a few months ago ... but a bad back and lack of training (as he said himself) will do this to you.

gee
11-14-2012, 09:08 AM
Manu's game has degraded since he broke his hand last season. He's had, maybe, 4 Manu-quality games since then, compared to the season before when he completely tore it up most games.

I didn't watch all his Olympic games but I did watch most of them (missed the medal game though), and while he played good, these were against teams full of guys that wouldn't get more than 8 mins a game in the NBA - he did not play well v USA / France

I love Manu, he is and will always be my favourite basketball player, but his game has dropped off. I really hope he gets it back soon.

lakerhaterade
11-14-2012, 09:14 AM
Lmao

therealtruth
11-14-2012, 09:40 AM
I think over the last 3 games it's been 5 consecutive Kawhi drives to the hoop and all of them offensive fouls

He's got to lean the jump stop or Eurostep to plant defenders then avoid them.

Mark in Austin
11-14-2012, 09:47 AM

:tu

sananspursfan21
11-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Matt Bonner A++