PDA

View Full Version : Anything to do in San Antonio?

bayareaspursfan
11-15-2012, 01:07 AM
Hi guys, I been a spurs fan since I was a kid. The only time I ever got to watch our big 3 live was when they visited the warriors. It was my dream to come to San Antonio to watch the spurs play and my dream is coming true this saturday when the spurs play against the denver nuggets! I would also like to check out the city before the game, so if you guys have any suggestions please let me know. This is my first time in Texas as well. I heard about the river walk in San Antonio. Can you guys pls let me know the fun things in river walk? or any other attractions?. Sorry, I know this is strictly a basketball site but I thought I should ask you guys since some of you guys live in SA :lol.

Juggity
11-15-2012, 01:23 AM
You should check out the south side of town, it's full of fun, cultural activities

baseline bum
11-15-2012, 01:37 AM
The water in the Riverwalk is so pure it doesn't conduct a charge.

BatManu20
11-15-2012, 01:46 AM
Riverwalk, Alamo, Fiesta Texas, Sea World, Spurs. That's San Antonio.

baseline bum
11-15-2012, 02:06 AM
Seriously, drive up to Lost Maples and do the easy 3-4 mile walk to see the color change on the maple trees there. I don't think it will have hit its prime yet, but it should be starting by then.

Stabula
11-15-2012, 02:09 AM
If you're into fat Mexican strippers check out our local clubs.

ElNono
11-15-2012, 02:14 AM
Plenty of flea markets to meet up with mouse, tbh

Stabula
11-15-2012, 02:18 AM
Also we have at least two taco joints on every corner

kjhip1
11-15-2012, 02:25 AM
um how about First Friday at the King William District? Or how about Bombay's, Flying Saucer, Lion and the Rose, Shops at La Cantera, the paladium, Tower of America....

Its been so long since Ive been home...Ive been all around in the world while serving in the Air Force, but going home to SA is always a joy..Cant go wrong with the food, Fiesta, and hospitatlity!

PÒÓCH
11-15-2012, 02:32 AM
Hit up Market Square durning the day and get your Mexican nick nack shopping done there, maybe get a Margarita from "Mi tierra" while your there. I suggest you get one of those rental bicycles to ride around in that way you get to see the most without all the walking. Go hit up southtown wich is over in the King William district, again you can ride the bike there, if you go there at night go visit Azuca and do some salsa dancing, great food there too BTW or go check out the Blue Star art complex. You can go to the tower of the americas and take a look on the observation deck there, you can also do all the typical toursist stuff like the Alamo, Seaworld, Fiesta Texas etc.
Addendum: Natural Bridge Caverns just north of S.A. is pretty cool too if you're into nature kind of stuff. I saw someone mention Lost Maples, but that would take way too long to travel if you're limited in time.

FkLA
11-15-2012, 02:58 AM
The West side is a must see side of town tbh.

ColinB
11-15-2012, 03:02 AM
Taco Cabana, I guess.

RudyRay
11-15-2012, 08:55 AM
Depends on how long you're in SA. If you're in for a few days you must go to the Missions (Alamo is one of them) lots of cool history in them. If you're just in town for the game, then stay downtown. Take Alamo street going south and you will hit the King William District, you will hit Rosarios (upscale Mexican restaurant) then keep going south and you will hit La Tuna which is an outdoor patio bar with a cool vibe. Keep going south and you will then hit the Barrio...

8FOR!3
11-15-2012, 09:22 AM
Taco Cabana for sure.

DapDaGenius
11-15-2012, 09:30 AM
You could go to this strip club called All-stars and say hi to my mom.

Maddog
11-15-2012, 09:37 AM
Depends on how long you're in SA. If you're in for a few days you must go to the Missions (Alamo is one of them) lots of cool history in them. If you're just in town for the game, then stay downtown. Take Alamo street going south and you will hit the King William District, you will hit Rosarios (upscale Mexican restaurant) then keep going south and you will hit La Tuna which is an outdoor patio bar with a cool vibe. Keep going south and you will then hit the Barrio...
La Tuna is definitely fun and somewhat uniquely San Antonio
I agree with the Missions often overlooked.
The Riverwalk has been extended and if you are into walking would definitely take it from Bluestar all the way to the pearl brewery area.

boutons_deux
11-15-2012, 09:52 AM
downtown and Southtown seem to be coming alive, along with the Pearl Brewery complex.

RudyRay
11-15-2012, 10:13 AM
You cold go to this strip club called All-stars and say hi to my mom.

:lmao

bigfan
11-15-2012, 10:56 AM
The Jacala on West at Hildebrand.

boutons_deux
11-15-2012, 11:09 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/entertainment/article/Pub-Crawl-World-of-Beer-4036876.php

Dingle Barry
11-15-2012, 11:18 AM
I just moved back here from Austin and while I prefer the unpretentious people and vibe of this town, the city is a boring sprawling shit show. This place needs some gentrification and revitalization in a bad way.

boutons_deux
11-15-2012, 11:27 AM
"needs some gentrification and revitalization in a bad way."

It's happening. Lots of appts, condos, some $1M+, going in downtown and near down. HEB might even put in a grocery store.

jag
11-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Quinceaneras, yard sales and the flea market can all make for a fun weekend.

You could also play I Spy down at the Riverwalk and see who can spot the most 15 year olds pushing strollers.

If you wait about two years (according to Buddy Holly), you can go watch San Antonio's NFL team play in the Alamo Dome.

Hoops Czar
11-15-2012, 11:41 AM
Eat, sleep, look at the stars, watch the Spurs. Do you bowl or like movies? If so, you're in luck.

spursrocksocks
11-15-2012, 12:43 PM
The Jacala on West at Hildebrand.

This, best mex food in town

arodz
11-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Unfortunately, there's nothing to do around the AT&T center, so you'll have to do some driving around. Downtown is best for new tourists. Lots to do and see. Alamo, Mercado (Market Square), Riverwalk, Rivercenter Mall, tons of bars and restaurants. Southtown is cool too, but really only on First Fridays.

The_Worlds_finest
11-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Two experience choices Local; binge on high carb\high fat texmex, binge drink, drive to local post drinking eatery, binge on high carb\high fat texmex, sleep, repeat.
Tourist Stay downtown, binge on high carb\high fat texmex, binge drink, walk to local post drinking eatery, binge on high carb\high fat texmex, sleep, repeat.

baseline bum
11-15-2012, 02:08 PM
This, best mex food in town

Has Jacala gotten better? I used to eat there all the time 25 years ago and it was amazing, but seemed to really go downhill about 15 years ago (haven't been back since).

Juggity
11-15-2012, 02:17 PM
You could also play I Spy down at the Riverwalk and see who can spot the most 15 year olds pushing strollers.

:lol

baseline bum
11-15-2012, 02:23 PM
Quinceaneras, yard sales and the flea market can all make for a fun weekend.

CROFL, the bitches here all old and used up with two kids by the time of the quincanera. :lol

If you wait about two years (according to Buddy Holly), you can go watch San Antonio's NFL team play in the Alamo Dome.

:rollin

snickles
11-15-2012, 02:33 PM

can't agree enough about the missions. a few months back, i had some friends visit from missouri, and they wanted to check out the missions. we spent ton of time at the alamo and walking up and down the riverwalk, and then hit as many of the other missions as we could before we had to head home (i live in corpus). i had a lot more fun than i expected. seeing an old friend probably had a lot to do with it, but the missions are all cool in a history nerd sort of way.

boutons_deux
11-15-2012, 03:18 PM
and the walk along the Mission Reach of SA river looks great, esp now the hellish weather is gone.

benefactor
11-15-2012, 03:54 PM
Howl at the Moon piano bar is fun if you are over 21.

ThePop
11-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Go to Austin.

benefactor
11-15-2012, 05:01 PM
Go to Austin.
Pretty much.

spurs10
11-15-2012, 05:01 PM
Hit up Market Square durning the day and get your Mexican nick nack shopping done there, maybe get a Margarita from "Mi tierra" while your there. I suggest you get one of those rental bicycles to ride around in that way you get to see the most without all the walking. Go hit up southtown wich is over in the King William district, again you can ride the bike there, if you go there at night go visit Azuca and do some salsa dancing, great food there too BTW or go check out the Blue Star art complex. You can go to the tower of the americas and take a look on the observation deck there, you can also do all the typical toursist stuff like the Alamo, Seaworld, Fiesta Texas etc.
Addendum: Natural Bridge Caverns just north of S.A. is pretty cool too if you're into nature kind of stuff. I saw someone mention Lost Maples, but that would take way too long to travel if you're limited in time.

Some good stuff here. One of my favorite things are the missions in SA.

CubanMustGo
11-15-2012, 05:57 PM
Go up to Austin (ok, Elroy) and watch the Formula 1 race on Sunday. Leave early and bring your wallet.

Libri
11-15-2012, 06:11 PM
The West side is a must see side of town tbh.

Especially the Lincoln Courts, tbh.

Please_dont_ban_me
11-16-2012, 01:52 AM
Welcome to San Antonio!

What there is to do really depends on what you are looking to do. So without having any idea what you like to do or what your interests are, here are a few suggestions:

1) Rosario's - Great Mexican restaurant just off of the Riverwalk.
2) Riverwalk - A bit overrated, but a good time pass.
3) Alamo - If you're into historical stuff...if not, you'll probably pass by it on a drunken night anyways, so don't worry about it.
4) Tower of Americas - Big space needle looking thing, has a Seafood restaurant at the top that slowly moves. Nice spot if you're coming with a girl. Food is overpriced but view of the city is very nice.
5) Avoid the area around the AT&T center. Not the best neighborhood to be wandering around in.

bayareaspursfan
11-16-2012, 08:13 AM
Welcome to San Antonio!

What there is to do really depends on what you are looking to do. So without having any idea what you like to do or what your interests are, here are a few suggestions:

1) Rosario's - Great Mexican restaurant just off of the Riverwalk.
2) Riverwalk - A bit overrated, but a good time pass.
3) Alamo - If you're into historical stuff...if not, you'll probably pass by it on a drunken night anyways, so don't worry about it.
4) Tower of Americas - Big space needle looking thing, has a Seafood restaurant at the top that slowly moves. Nice spot if you're coming with a girl. Food is overpriced but view of the city is very nice.
5) Avoid the area around the AT&T center. Not the best neighborhood to be wandering around in.
Really, Im staying near AT&T center. Should I change it?

bayareaspursfan
11-16-2012, 08:14 AM
Thank you guys for the feedback. You guys are the best!

Spur|n|Austin
11-16-2012, 12:01 PM
First Friday of every month at the Blue Star BreweryApts King Williams district is quite happening.

baseline bum
11-16-2012, 12:12 PM

Damn son, you should never spend the night at hotels with hourly rates tbh.

baseline bum
11-16-2012, 12:13 PM
But yeah, that area sucks. Stay downtown and get a rental car.

DesignatedT
11-16-2012, 12:16 PM

Riverwalk is full of food/drinks and good times.
Alamo is a great historical site to visit and will be close to you.
I'd stay more towards downtown if I was you. (Nothing going on around the AT&T Center and you will be forced into taking cabs everywhere, whereas if you stay downtown near the river you can walk to most places)
Not sure how long you are in town but if you wander up to the northside, La Cantera Mall is a great spot to check out.

spurs10
11-16-2012, 12:19 PM
The Gunther Hotel is a great place to stay downtown. I'd stay downtown if I were you. A lot more central and close to everything...the Tower, the Alamo, the riverwalk etc.

benstanfield
11-16-2012, 01:50 PM
Not really. Eat delicious greasy mexican food, maybe check out the Alamo if you like being bored. Uhh that's all I can really think of, in terms of SA-specific stuff. Shopping.

DesignatedT
11-16-2012, 01:53 PM
It's the same shit everywhere you go. Eat and Drink. What else is there to do anywhere?

Buddy Holly
11-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Walk the museum reach segment of the Riverwalk and end at The Pearl.

Get a drink at the Esquire or Brooklynite.

Definitely hit up Southtown. Try The Monterey, Hot Joy, Feast, Bites, La Tuna.

At the pearl, blue box is cool. Lunch or dinner at NAO, though they're reservation list is long. Go to Bakery Lorraine on Grayson. You can thank me later.

All the above is accessible by foot or bike (B-Cycle) so if you're staying in a downtown hotel, you don't need a vehicle.

However, if you do have a car, check out missions, lost maples, la Cantera.

Splits
06-04-2013, 07:03 PM
You should check out the south side of town, it's full of fun, cultural activities

If you're into fat Mexican strippers check out our local clubs.

Plenty of flea markets to meet up with mouse, tbh

You could go to this strip club called All-stars and say hi to my mom.

Bump, since this question will keep coming up over the next couple weeks and there were some great suggestions in this thread...

Bobby Peru
06-04-2013, 08:08 PM
fat mexican tipping?

Stabula
06-05-2013, 06:26 AM
:lol worthy bump

scramby eggs
06-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Klusoz - bottle service

Humberto
06-05-2013, 03:36 PM
If you are looking for something competitive I would go to Lazer Quest. If that doesn't work for you there is a fancy movie theater called Embassy where you can catch Will Smith's new action packed movie After Earth. (Fancy because they provide endless ICEE's)

Also have to agree with ol Scramby and suggest Klusoz bottle service, but that is only if you have time to rent a tux and find a female with sharpied eye brows to get in.

DapDaGenius
06-05-2013, 05:43 PM
:rollin