PDA

View Full Version : Global Warming and San Antonio

SnakeBoy
11-15-2012, 01:49 AM
Make of it what you will...

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/images/ewx/sat/satmontemp.pdf

MannyIsGod
11-15-2012, 02:32 AM
Not too bad. San Antonio isn't going to be the worst off as far as our country goes because it has abundant ground water and already has a large scale adaptations to the heat (both infrastructure and biologically). Pretty much as you move west from San Antonio shit gets very real. Some of the projections I've seen on the forests out here are flat out dismal. As temps go up there are going to be serious water issues through the American west (lower volume of snow combined with higher evaporation mainly).

Wild Cobra
11-15-2012, 03:22 AM
I'd love to see a graph that shows the temperate vs. land usage.

boutons_deux
11-15-2012, 06:01 AM
"it has abundant ground water"

WTF? TX, esp semi-desert (SA), desert TX MUST assume the ground water (we got no snow melt) deficient will be catastrophic, worsened by Bs of gallons poisoned by fracking.

The TX water authorities are already expecting the worst, and they won't be wrong. LCRE already has a huge problem between sharing water between cooling coal-fired electric plants, drinkng, and irrigating rice farmers on the coast.

in the .pdf I see a 1F rise avg in between 2000 and 2010. How is that "not too bad"?

Latarian Milton
11-15-2012, 09:09 AM
"abundant ground water" does that refer to the river of piss running through downtown SA?

DarrinS
11-15-2012, 09:15 AM
That data is very alarming

MannyIsGod
11-15-2012, 09:30 AM
"it has abundant ground water"

WTF? TX, esp semi-desert (SA), desert TX MUST assume the ground water (we got no snow melt) deficient will be catastrophic, worsened by Bs of gallons poisoned by fracking.

The TX water authorities are already expecting the worst, and they won't be wrong. LCRE already has a huge problem between sharing water between cooling coal-fired electric plants, drinkng, and irrigating rice farmers on the coast.

in the .pdf I see a 1F rise avg in between 2000 and 2010. How is that "not too bad"?

A decade is not a good indicator of the increase. Why did you choose 2000 instead of comparing the 1980-2010 period to others? San Antonio is sitting on an ocean of water. Its not in danger of fracking. Development on the recharge zone is another thing but that doesn't change the fact that San Antonio is facing virtually none of the dangers - at least not nearly on the level of most places - that western America will face over the rest of this century.

MannyIsGod
11-15-2012, 09:30 AM
"abundant ground water" does that refer to the river of piss running through downtown SA?

Rivers are not ground water. It refers to the Edwards Aquifer.

boutons_deux
11-15-2012, 09:32 AM
san antonio river is ground water, since it's spring fed. I bet most rivers in TX are similar. Not every river can be nothing but rain runoff surface water.

MannyIsGod
11-15-2012, 09:33 AM
No river is ground water. It does not matter where the water comes from. By definition it is surface water.

boutons_deux
11-15-2012, 09:42 AM
ground water that emerges as a spring to create a river fills the river with ground water.

Latarian Milton
11-15-2012, 09:50 AM
SA's river water doesnt come from neither ground nor rain, it often comes from toilets so its NOT ground water imho

MannyIsGod
11-15-2012, 09:58 AM
ground water that emerges as a spring to create a river fills the river with ground water.

Ground water that emerges from a spring is no longer ground water.

SnakeBoy
11-15-2012, 12:02 PM
That data is very alarming

Is it?

DarrinS
11-15-2012, 12:05 PM
Is it?

It was sarcasm.

TeyshaBlue
11-15-2012, 12:43 PM
Ground water that emerges from a spring is no longer ground water. :lol