PDA

View Full Version : A De Colo's Interview

Bruno
11-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Nando has given an interview for a French website while the team was in LA:
http://www.basketusa.com/news/136916/nando-de-colo-repond-aux-questions-des-lecteurs-de-basket-usa/

A translation of what he said:

What is the biggest difference you've noticed between the European and NBA game?
The rhythm is a little different. In Europe, you are only playing 40 minutes but at 100%. In NBA, the game is longer,so you can't be at 100% all the time. Some players are always at 100% and it's really really intense. There are a lot of times where the game is going very quickly. In Europe, if you miss one or two shots, you immediately slow the tempo down while in NBA, teams never hesitate to shoot quickly.

Is the transition to this game more difficult than what you thought?
If you work and you pay attention at the instructions, it goes well. As I said some details aren't the same than in Europe. You had to fit the mold and work by following coaches' advices. That's what I daily do because coaches know what I need to get better.

What is the most impressive in the NBA compared tho the Europe?
It's mostly the practice facility. In San Antonio, that's really something great. You go to the facility and everything is at the same place. There are no need to do 10000 trips for the recuperation, lifting weights or for shooting. Everything is in the practice building. What is too impressive is that there are always staff people. If you need to work on your body, physical trainer and the medical staff are here to help you.If you need to shoot the ball, you go to the court and there are rebounders to help you. To work and improve yourself, it's perfect. There are 2 courts and 6 baskets only for us while in Valencia or in Cholet there were one court to share with youth and women teams.

Are you ready to play in D-League if needed?
No, I'm' not. I came here to be part of the roster and I haven't thought at the D-League. We will see how he goes with the season progressing but, quite frankly, D-League isn't on my mind.

Nando, how go you feel about the Manu's comparaison?
It's a flattering comparison. Manu remains an awesome player given his career. At the same time, I just want to be myself, to do my job and nothing else. We have maybe some similar qualities, maybe because we have more an European style than an American one. It's nice but I don't want to think about that, I just want to work.

Since the start of this interview, you are talking a lot about working and getting better. Isn't it too difficult to do when you are playing that little?
It's not easy but now that I'm here, what else can I do aside of working? I'm trying to get better on every facet of my game and when the playing time will come, I will have to take it and show that I'm able to fit with the team and play at this level. It will go little by little and I must wait that my playing time increases.

Isn't it more difficult to climb in the depth chart in NBA? In Europe, there are two practices by day between games while, in the NBA, there are only shootarounds during the season.
It's true it isn't easy. In Europe, there are a lot of practices that allow you to go ahead someone in the rotation and earns playing time. There is there a 2 weeks preseason and then team practices are done. However, I'm in a franchise that knows the quality of all its players and knows how to use all of us. It's a new experience. I'm not saying I enjoy playing 5 minutes but I didn't come here thinking I would get 30 mpg and that it would be easy.

What did you feel during the winning shot you took against Atlanta?
I was nice but it remained a preseason game. I was in rhythm and I got more playing time since Tony, Manu and Tim weren't playing. I had to show that I was in good shape and that I was able to play against a NBA team. It was almost the first game were I got that much playing time. At the end, it went well and it was Tony the coach (laughs). We were up by 3, they asked a time out and we were hesitant and whether to foul or not. Tony said to do a foul but they hit a 3 pointer. We took a timeout and decided an iso play for me. I take the shot and it went in. It's good because when you arrived, players don't know you well. With that, you show that you are able to do things. The staff knows you and knows what you can do but not the NBA players. I guess that most of them didn't knew me.

Why did you pick #25?
It's my age! It's to notify the year when I enter in a new league. When I was in Cholet, I wore #12 because it was my dad number when he played. With the FNT, I also have #12. In Valencia #12 was taken so I took #22 that was my age. With Spurs, I first wanted to take #87, my birth year, but they didn't like a number above #45. I then wanted to take #12 but it was Bruce's number. At the end, I told myself I would do like in Valencia and took my age.

On what aspect of your game does Pop want you to focus on?
Nothing specific. He knows I'm a good passer so he is fine with that. After that, what he really wants he is that I don't hesitate to shoot when I'm open. I see it on the court, he gives a lot of confidence to its players even if he sometimes screams. For the moment, he wants that I play my game and respect defensive consigns. We will see later if my playing time increases.

How was Pop first big anger shouting ?
It's still fine (smile). There are a lot of English profanities but it's more to scare than something else. Since we only have one loss so far, he hasn't really yelled yet but I'm waiting for it and I'm ready for it (laughs). In my career, I have played with coaches from the Eastern Europe. Even if it's not Popovich or Ivkovic, they weren't shy to yell.

You can play PG or SG, where would you prefer to play in NBA?
For all my career, people asked me "what are you a PG or a SG?" I think that if a coach knows how to use me, it doesn't bother me to play both depending on the playing style. With Spurs, it's true that I've played alongside Patty Mils or Gery Neal, who are also used to play the point and I still got the ball in my hands. I know there are picks to play so I play them, I'm the one doing the most assists. For the moment, it worked like that during the little playing time I got. More minutes will be need to know where I will be the best. I'm in a team with a lot of players able to play of different ways. Even Tony let sometimes the ball to Manu.

Is the family aspect bigger with Spurs than with your previous team?
It is and you really feel it with Spurs. That's what they want to display. Players are all aware of that and really respect it. For example, when Tony opened his club in SA, he really wanted a very proper club to show a good side of Spurs. It's the same with Manu, the first thing he told me at the Olympics was "Welcome to the family". I feel that players are aware of Spurs' values and that everybody stick together. They build their roster on the long term. It's really a good group of good peoples. Even with the coaches, you feel that. When you are on the road and you don't really know where to go, they always offer you to go eat with them. These are the kind of little things that shows they are caring about the team and the players.

Speaking of that, have you signed because it was the Spurs or just because you wanted to be in the NBA?
Not at all. At the end of the season, I was in touch with Barcelona and I had a big choice to make. At the same time, I'm at first a competitor: if I hadn't came, I would maybe have told myself my whole career that I've missed something. For the moment, I'm not thinking too much about that, it's only just the beginning. Of course, it if were with another team, I would maybe have another analysis. It's sure that playing in the NBA is a dream and playing in this kind of arenas is huge. But, what matters for me is playing basketball and I don't want to be there 10 years at waiting an opportunity.

capek
11-15-2012, 05:03 PM
Thanks Bruno! :toast that was a great read. Loved his answer to the D-league question. Seems like he learned a lot about being a professional in the Euro leagues. It's crazy how packed at the guard spots we are, that we have the luxury of working in a player like this slowly.

benefactor
11-15-2012, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the interview and translation.

Spurs Brazil
11-15-2012, 05:28 PM
Thanks Bruno

DPG21920
11-15-2012, 05:39 PM
Interesting part about the D-League. I wonder if he will have a bad attitude if assigned to the D-League? My bet is he would accept it and work hard, but interesting quote

TimmehC
11-15-2012, 05:40 PM
Good to know that Barca was pursuing him in the offseason. That's usually a good sign.

capek
11-15-2012, 05:49 PM
Interesting part about the D-League. I wonder if he will have a bad attitude if assigned to the D-League? My bet is he would accept it and work hard, but interesting quote

You don't want a brand new player to talk as if he'd be fine about being demoted, or as if he's thought a lot about the prospect of demotion. The D-leauge has its place, but it's still a demotion to get sent down. He said just what I'd have wanted him to say, and builds into my other observations (with his tiny amount of playing time all you can do is speculate) that he just might turn out to be a player.

Brazil
11-15-2012, 05:58 PM
Thanks Bruno for the translation !!

nice interview, he is really a good guy with the right attitude and he is right about D league. He is 25 y/o and already proven at the international level, it would be useless for him to play in the D league imho. Nice to know that Pop trust TP to call some plays in the game.

spurraider21
11-15-2012, 06:27 PM
Good read.

Would like to see him play some minutes in the Manu role, aka the 2 but still runs the offense. I think he and Neal or Mills would make a nice duo

justinandimcool
11-15-2012, 06:45 PM
fantastic! thanks Bruno

one of the great perks about being a Spurs fan, all these guys (sans Pop) have great blogs and make great interviews.

great hearing about the family aspect, and that Pop hasn't yelled yet. awesome to see he has big plans for himself on this team.

i wonder why the Spurs don't allow jerseys higher than 45? there was 5-0 after all...it's good luck going high :lol

naico
11-15-2012, 06:48 PM
lol interviewer stirring up shit

Bruno
11-15-2012, 07:24 PM
i wonder why the Spurs don't allow jerseys higher than 45? there was 5-0 after all...it's good luck going high :lol

I think Nando got the number wrong and the upper limit is 55. Spurs don't allow number higher by courtesy for the referees. When a player do a foul, refs have to transmit the player number to the scorekeeper through hand signals. The high numbers are more complicate to indicate for refs.

ABC
11-15-2012, 08:44 PM
"Even Tony let sometimes the ball to Manu."
:downspin:

Seventyniner
11-15-2012, 08:49 PM
I think Nando got the number wrong and the upper limit is 55. Spurs don't allow number higher by courtesy for the referees. When a player do a foul, refs have to transmit the player number to the scorekeeper through hand signals. The high numbers are more complicate to indicate for refs.

I was about to say "so that's why they cut Curry."

Also, Parker's #9 looks like 45 or 54 anyway when signaled by the refs, right? I was wondered why the refs don't use sign lanuage numbers