PDA

View Full Version : Parker is the fastest NBA Player (Still) in some situations.

BillMc
11-15-2012, 07:27 PM
It's mentioned only briefly starting about 6:20 but this Harvard professor/ Grantland writer taking data from this year says that Tony is really fast and in certain situations is the fastest on-court point guard in the league. Good to hear when some have said Parker seems slower or has lost a step. If this guy is to be believed he's still blazing fast.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8635637

Sorry, that you have to go through the advertisement and intro to get to it.

timvp
11-15-2012, 07:42 PM
Yeah, the same data had Parker as the fastest player in the league last year as well. I'd wager that he's the fastest player in NBA history. His pre-draft sprints with the ball are still the fastest times ever recorded.

I'm not sure of the cause of the optical illusion but there are a lot of players who look as fast or faster than Parker (Patty Mills is one, Russell Westbrook is another) but those high-tech cameras don't like. My theory is that Parker doesn't look as fast on film because he has a low dribble and doesn't bend his knees much, which causes him to look more like his gliding rather than sprinting. Plus, having a poor vertical jump (for a basketball player) doesn't allow him to put an exclamation point at the end of his sprints. To really appreciate his speed, he's someone who you have to watch live, tbh.

freetiago
11-15-2012, 07:51 PM
doesnt pass the eye test
cant even beat darrius morris off the dribble

spurraider21
11-15-2012, 08:01 PM
While I don't think his crossover and directional change is as quick as a guy like D-Rose, I certainly would believe Parker is the fastest. Guys like Westbrook look fast because he takes one dribble takes 2 steps then flies. It looks flashier and more dynamic, but its just a visual.

therealtruth
11-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Imagine if Parker was fast and athletic.