PDA

View Full Version : Rosen: Final grades for the NBA playoff teams

DieMrBond
06-28-2005, 02:07 AM
Final grades for the NBA playoff teams
Charley Rosen / Special to FOXSports.com
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3721516

It's time for the end-of-the-season grades for those teams who played more than 82 games. The grades cover the regular season, but are also heavily influenced by playoff performances.

Did a team suffer a debilitating injury to a key player along the way? Too bad. What about disruptive trades, suspensions and coaching changes? Tough stuff.

As with the previous evaluations, the following grades are not absolute. Instead, they are meant to measure each ball club's accomplishments (or lack thereof) against its expectations and capabilities.

Eastern Conference

Boston: D

What a bunch of losers! Was their shameful seventh-game meltdown at home against the Pacers worth bringing back Gary Payton and Antoine Walker? And what about Paul Pierce's juvenile antics? It's past time to get rid of these aforementioned bozos once and for all. Play the kids. If a venture into the free-agent market is in the works, be sure to bring in solid citizens only. Draft for the right combination of talent and character. And don't be afraid to use the "R" word — rebuild.

Chicago: B-

Young players make mistakes. But that's still no excuse for the awful crunch-time meltdowns in Games 4, 5 and 6 against a mediocre team like the Wizards. Still, another characteristic of young teams is that they have to lose before they can learn how to win. The upside of the young Bulls' first postseason appearance will hopefully include the following benefits: A quantum jump in pressure-packed experience and the shock value of failing so dramatically in the clutch — all leading to a commitment to work even harder than before.

The biggest dark cloud on the Bulls' otherwise sunny horizon is the future of Eddy Curry. Apparently his heart is OK, but what about his brain? (To say nothing of his fumble-fingered hands.) Perhaps the health scare has forced the youngster to take another look at himself. Perhaps not. Hey, it's Jerry Reinsdorf's money, but, given what the other alternatives are, I'd take the plunge and re-sign him.

Detroit: B-

For the defending champs, second place isn't good enough. It was no surprise that Gregg Popovich's seventh-game adjustments befuddled the Pistons. What was alarming, however, was the team's fold-up in the waning moments of Game 7. But that's what happens when a team no longer trusts its coach. The breach of faith between Larry Brown and his players was fatal. OK, so the little fellow was sick. And he's right on when he claims that he's always given 100 percent to his team-of-the-moment. But if Brown lied in public about the ongoing contacts between his representatives and Cleveland's front office, bet your boots that he also lied to his players. If the Pistons' mindset was to win another title in spite of Brown, they lost it because of him.

Rick Carlisle sends Reggie Miller off to retirement.
(Elsa / Getty Images)

Indiana: B+

How did these guys take Detroit to six games? Just look at the team Indiana fielded in the conference semifinals: One point guard (Anthony Johnson) with a shaky handle, and another (Jamaal Tinsley) who forces too many shots and passes; the dead-legged ghost of Reggie Miller at the shooting guard; in Stephen Jackson, a small forward who zigs when he should zag and zags when he should zig, and airs it out whenever he's in doubt; a talented power forward in Jermaine O'Neal who, even when healthy, tends to vanish down the stretch; an excellent role player in Jeff Foster; Dale Davis, who's running on fumes and a pair of erratic Jones boys.

They also had enough guts and patience to overcome the blustering Celtics — but not enough talent or depth to outlast the Pistons. The credit for this overachieving team goes to the surviving players, but also to Rick Carlisle, one of the most underrated coaches in the league.

Miami: B

The top-seeded team is supposed to come out of the conference playoffs. If Shaq was hurting, it was surely hard to tell — as always, he was slow to rotate on defense, slow off the floorboards to rebound and inept at the free throw line. Even so, Shaq should have been spoon-fed the ball in each and every clutch situation. (Hmmm. Why shouldn't Stan Van Gundy be blamed for this grievous oversight?) Dwyane Wade is undoubtedly a budding superstar (and was clearly injured), but he was just as certainly brain-locked as the deciding game in the Detroit series raced to the wire — to say nothing of Eddie Jones' routine vanishing act.

In addition to the necessity of filling some weak spots in their roster, the Heat are faced with a dilemma of major proportions. They have little choice except to re-sign Shaq, but then what happens? It's entirely possible that as Wade continues to develop (his defense and his decision-making), Shaq's body parts will continue to deteriorate. Miami's window of opportunity is small to begin with, and already in the process of closing even more.

New Jersey: B-

The Nets fashioned a dramatic comeback just to qualify for the postseason fun. But, except for an agonizing double-overtime loss in Game 3 of the first round, they showed nothing in being swept by Miami. Vince Carter is a superstar/super-loser. Jason Kidd hasn't been the same since his knee surgery. Even when Richard Jefferson was whole, he was an iffy shooter. Jason Collins is strictly a backup. Nenad Krstic will someday be an above-average power player. And (except for Brian Scalabrine) the Nets' bench is a collection of never-weres and never-will-bes. Credit Lawrence Frank with going as far as possible with such a flawed and over-hyped roster.

Philadelphia: C-

The Allen Iverson circus offered business as usual — plenty of high-wire scoring from the feature attraction, some occasionally impressive acrobatics from Andre Iguodaia., a fat man (Rodney Rogers), sharpshooter (Kyle Korver), and plenty of clowns to squirt the fans with seltzer water and clean up after the elephants. At mid-season, the Sixers also added the league's biggest punching bag — Chris Webber.

Lots of belly laughs, pointed dialogue, incompetent ring-masters, and misdemeanors. But not much high-caliber basketball. As long as A.I. remains the headliner, the Sixers will be a ringless attraction.

Washington: B+

The Wizards were a donut team, yet they managed to come back from a 2-0 hole against the Bulls by rising to every end-game occasion thereafter. Getting subsequently dunked by Miami's monster in the middle was no disgrace. Kudos to Eddie Jordan for making a little sugar go a long way.

Western Conference

Dallas: B+

The Mavs' two-headed coach (Avery Johnson/Del Harris) took this team as far as they could go. The Mavs first showed their gumption by downing Houston in a grueling seven-game series (even though the deciding contest was a laugher). Then, except for being badly burned by the Suns in Game 1 of the conference semifinals, Dallas gave Phoenix all they could handle. The Mavs were a poor-passing, defensively challenged team whose brand-name player (Dirk Nowitzki) was soft. Surely, Mark Cuban isn't satisfied with moral (or even immoral) victories. Look for Cuban to unleash his checkbook, and the Mavs' over-the-cap penalty in 2005-06 to approach the total payroll of several less generously endowed ball clubs.

Denver: B

Under George Karl's new deal, the resurgent (if still immature) Nuggets scared the daylights out of the Spurs. Denver's explosive offense can score in spurts, and only San Antonio's poise and experience kept them at bay. The Nuggets' defense is another story — and that's where the main fixing has to be done. All in all, though, Karl did a commendable job in raising the Nuggets from an early grave.

Rick Carlisle sends Reggie Miller off to retirement.
(Elsa / Getty Images)

Houston: C-

The Rockets' grade would have been much higher but for their embarrassing floperoo against Dallas in Game 7. Yao Ming was exposed as a slow-footed giant who left too many gaping holes in Houston's defense. T-Mac did a yeoman's job at both ends — but nobody (expect for Michael Jordan) has ever been able to be a team's go-to scorer and play all-out defense at the same time. The Rockets' slo-mo guard play was atrocious. The Younger Van Gundy's lips were too loose. Clarence Weatherspoon didn't see enough burn. But, above all, the Rockets' meek exit indicates that (unless there's a wholesale renovation of their roster) this team will get worse before it gets better.

Memphis: D+

Mike Fratello's mojo wasn't potent enough to prevent Memphis from showing their pink bellies in being swept by Phoenix. The Grizzlies simply had too many malcontents, too many merely adequate players convinced of their own Hall-of-Fame capabilities, too many powder puffs and not nearly enough power. Although they occasionally looked ferocious (especially at home), these Grizzlies were clueless and clawless.

Phoenix: B

This team certainly did put on a good show — but only on one end of the court. It's certainly no sin to lose a playoff series to the eventual champs. Still, a No. 1 seed has to be disappointed by losing all three games that were played on their home court. In fact, the Suns' only win came after they were already down 3-0 — and a reasonable argument can be made that the Spurs lost that game. High-octane offenses are entertaining and can cause problems for run-of-the-mill opponents, but it's defense that wins championships.

Here's the vital issue for Mike D'Antoni: Whether to concentrate on running faster and gunning more accurately, or to step lightly on the brake and focus on playing hard-nosed half-court defense. Should the franchise go the former route, the Suns will still be fun to watch, but only from early November to late April.

Sacramento: C-

These guys punched the clock, made a barely respectable showing in losing in five games to the Sonics, then merrily headed off to the golf course. The Kings have too many overrated players at too many key positions: Mike Bibby (slow and unathletic), Peja Stojakovic (wimpish), Bobby Jackson (wild as a hurricane), Brad Miller (a sheep in wolf's clothing) and Cuttino Mobley (who never saw a shot he didn't like). Bringing in Kenny Thomas and the remains of Corliss Williamson provided a shot in the arm, but this version of the Kings has long since been routed from the field of battle. They never were the kings of hearts, but now they're just another scattering of jokers in the NBA deck.

San Antonio: A+

Besides a minimum of injuries, what do the Spurs need to guarantee a repeat? A backup point guard who isn't dulled by defensive pressure. A better big man to limit the minutes of both Robert Horry and Nazr Mohammed. (Hey, Pop! Why not give Rasho another pop?) And another creative scorer off the bench. Given all, or most, of these roster tweaks, it's hard to imagine any team (besides the Pistons or the Heat) wresting away their crown.

Seattle: A-

Other than the Pistons, it was the Sonics who gave the Spurs the most trouble. Every contest other than Game 1 was a nail-biter. In the end, Seattle couldn't contend with San Antonio's quick-as-a-wish defense and resourceful offense. But the Sonics are in the correct flight pattern — playing unselfishly, using a well-stocked bench to full advantage and not taking any plays off. Without Ray Allen, however, they'd be grounded for the duration. And without Nate McMillian, the Sonics are headed for a crash landing. A critical off-season awaits Seattle.

Charley Rosen, former CBA coach, author of 12 books about hoops, the current one being A pivotal season — How the 1971-72 L.A. Lakers changed the NBA, is a frequent contributor to FOXSports.com.

Mr. Body
06-28-2005, 02:28 AM
Interesting. Wouldn't give the Spurs an 'A+', but alright.

I truly believe Udrih will be okay. Maybe just for the time being, and maybe he'll have to be coupled with Barry on full court traps, or Ginobili, to get the ball safely over. But I think he and the coaches will make adjustments.

The 'better big man' is spelled S-C-O-L-A. And yes, Nesterovic will get more time and split with Mohammed.

The creative scorer off the bench is the tough part. I don't think that player is Devin Brown, who is an opportunistic scorer, not a creative one. This would be Glenn Robinson, but I don't expect him back.

Oh, and SCOLA is a creative scorer off the bench, but he meant an outside shooter.

I don't see Miami being much of a threat. Detroit is a different story. San Antonio might be able to separate themselves further this summer.

mavsfan1000
06-28-2005, 02:31 AM
I think Houston should've gotten a B because I didn't think they were that good.

TheTruth
06-28-2005, 02:35 AM
He wasn't holding any punches when grading the Celtics..

DieMrBond
06-28-2005, 02:36 AM
My main disagreement with this was why did Detroit get a B-, while Miami got a B?

Horry For 3!
06-28-2005, 02:36 AM
Not too bad. A+ lol We could of done better I think.

Gummi
06-28-2005, 02:37 AM
Pretty fair grades. I liked the Celtics one a lot and I agree with it to.

mavsfan1000
06-28-2005, 02:40 AM
I think Sacramento should've gotten a D- for how bad they played against Seattle.

AI-square
06-28-2005, 03:31 AM
My main disagreement with this was why did Detroit get a B-, while Miami got a B?

Detroit came back from 2-1 down to beat Indiana 4-2. Came back from 3-2 down to beat Miami 4-3. Then came back from 2-0 down to push San Antonio to seven games. B-? What the ...?

I pretty much agreed with everything else, Except Philadelphia. I am a Sixers fan of course, but I thought Rosen dissed the Sixers pretty badly.

We were overmatched against Detroit but yet forced them into 77 turnovers in 5 games, more than they made in the 7 games of the NBA Finals. In regards to playoff stats, Iverson led in PPG, Dalembert led in RPG and Iguodala led in SPG. We were also a free throw away from beating them in Game 4. How he spoke about clowns and elephants without acknowledging these facts is beyond me. We may have been one of the five worst teams in the playoffs but we played out of our skins in the 5 games against Detroit.

boutons
06-28-2005, 03:37 AM
"A+"

Good enough for now, but we'll do better next year.

Dre_7
06-28-2005, 04:35 AM
Hey DieMrBond, thats an awesome banner!!

DesiSpur_21
06-28-2005, 04:36 AM
Give Spurs an 'A' - Afterall this is what the goal was and were expected to acheive with a relatively easier fight.

Denver: B

Under George Karl's new deal, the resurgent (if still immature) Nuggets scared the daylights out of the Spurs. Denver's explosive offense can score in spurts, and only San Antonio's poise and experience kept them at bay. The Nuggets' defense is another story — and that's where the main fixing has to be done. All in all, though, Karl did a commendable job in raising the Nuggets from an early grave.

Scared daylights out of Spurs? This Rosen guy is a joke - Yes Game 1 loss was a concern but calling it scared is pretty dumb. May be Media got scared to death of Nuggets.

Phoenix: B

This team certainly did put on a good show — but only on one end of the court. It's certainly no sin to lose a playoff series to the eventual champs. Still, a No. 1 seed has to be disappointed by losing all three games that were played on their home court. In fact, the Suns' only win came after they were already down 3-0 — and a reasonable argument can be made that the Spurs lost that game. High-octane offenses are entertaining and can cause problems for run-of-the-mill opponents, but it's defense that wins championships.

Here's the vital issue for Mike D'Antoni: Whether to concentrate on running faster and gunning more accurately, or to step lightly on the brake and focus on playing hard-nosed half-court defense. Should the franchise go the former route, the Suns will still be fun to watch, but only from early November to late April.

Give Suns an 'A' - They did more than they were supposed to do and if not for the Spurs, they too would have won against Pistons or Heat.

If Rosen/Deveney/Steph.A.Smith can survive in the media, I can be a king
:lol

AI-square
06-28-2005, 04:39 AM
Give Suns an 'A' - They did more than they were supposed to do and if not for the Spurs, they too would have won against Pistons or Heat.

I think the Suns could very well have beaten the Heat. Damn I would have loved seeing Amare dunk on O'Neal's head. But I'm not positive that the Suns would have been able to get past Detroit.

Dre_7
06-28-2005, 04:46 AM

No, I dont think they woulda beaten Detroit.

My list of the top teams this year goes:

1. SA
2. DET
3. PHX
4. MIA

Again, this is all just my opinion, but DET > PHX.

DesiSpur_21
06-28-2005, 05:30 AM
I think the Suns could very well have beaten the Heat. Damn I would have loved seeing Amare dunk on O'Neal's head. But I'm not positive that the Suns would have been able to get past Detroit.

My theory is - Spurs beat Suns by playing outscoring them - NOT by defending. And I don't think Pistons would have outscored or limited Suns to 80+. It would have been a tough one but Suns would have prevailed.

Matchup wise,
Nash >= Billups
Amare+matrix > Wallaces

IMO, Nash would have kept things at his mercy.

jochhejaam
06-28-2005, 06:03 AM
Final grades for the NBA playoff teams
Charley Rosen / Special to FOXSports.com
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3721516
Detroit: B-

For the defending champs, second place isn't good enough. It was no surprise that Gregg Popovich's seventh-game adjustments befuddled the Pistons. What was alarming, however, was the team's fold-up in the waning moments of Game 7. But that's what happens when a team no longer trusts its coach. The breach of faith between Larry Brown and his players was fatal. OK, so the little fellow was sick. And he's right on when he claims that he's always given 100 percent to his team-of-the-moment. But if Brown lied in public about the ongoing contacts between his representatives and Cleveland's front office, bet your boots that he also lied to his players. If the Pistons' mindset was to win another title in spite of Brown, they lost it because of him.

So the Pistons trusted him in games 3,4 and 6 but not in their losses? Rosen's saying that if the Pistons had "trusted" Brown they would have beaten the Spurs!?
What a crock!
Rosen don't know Jack!

ambchang
06-28-2005, 06:51 AM
Because the Pistons kicked his favourite Lakers out of the playoffs last year.
And what is that crap about the Nuggets giving the Spurs trouble blah blah blah, they got kicked out in 5 games.

ShoogarBear
06-28-2005, 07:01 AM
Rosen writes what he wants independent of what actually happens in the games.

First off, the Wiz didn't lose to Miami's "monster in the middle". SHAQ SAT OUT THE LAST TWO GAMES, IDIOT! Which makes the Wiz's loss even more embarassing.

And the reason Miami ulitimately lost to Detroit is not because of Wade and Eddie Jones but because guys like Keyon Dooling and Damon Jones just flat choked in the fourth quarter.

DesiSpur_21
06-28-2005, 07:17 AM
Rosen writes what he wants independent of what actually happens in the games.

My problem is not with Rosen writing his views - but he gets paid to write BS stuff and it is his full time job - 99% of posters here do a better job researching info. before posting than him and some other writers.

ObiwanGinobili
06-28-2005, 07:43 AM
Denver should have gotten a C or C+ , not a B. I;m sorry but they completely collapsed in the post season after an amazing post AS break run. they were considered by many the 1st low seeded team in decades to have a chance to get to the WCF and we took them out in 4 straight.

Detroit- I don't agree with this whole idea that the Piston's lost confidence i ntheir coach. Thats bull. the truth is they just got out played. They made soem mistakes on the court - LB and the players- and we took advantage. I don't hink LB's off court buisness had anythign to do with the loss.

1Parker1
06-28-2005, 08:03 AM
How can Detroit and the NJ Nets get the same grade???? Someone explain this to me.
Using this whole Larry Brown may leave after this season as a diversion and excuse to why they didnt win this year is complete BS. Bottom line, Pistons were 1/2 quarter away from repeating and taking the eventual champs to a Game 7.

Also, I didn't realize the Spurs were "Scared" of the Nuggets series. How can the Nuggets score a B, when they didn't show up to play until half the season was over, and they completely collapsed in the first round?

bigbendbruisebrother
06-28-2005, 09:34 AM
Detroit came back from 2-1 down to beat Indiana 4-2. Came back from 3-2 down to beat Miami 4-3. Then came back from 2-0 down to push San Antonio to seven games. B-? What the ...?

Maybe Detroit lost marks with Rosen for getting themselves into holes in every series. That's not a good sign, is it?

1Parker1
06-28-2005, 09:37 AM
Maybe Detroit lost marks with Rosen for getting themselves into holes in every series. That's not a good sign, is it?

True, but its not like they were easy teams like the Nets, Wiz, etc. Plus the fact that they often DUG themselves out of those holes should count for something.

I may be being biased, but I was thoroughly impressed with the Pistons this season (I can say this smiling now that we have their trophy :))

DDS4
06-28-2005, 11:02 AM
Detroit B- ???

His grades are arbitrary at best.