PDA

View Full Version : Damn Kawhi Injured...quadriceps tendinitis in his left knee

ace3g
11-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Kawhi Leonard will be out 10-14 days with quadriceps tendinitis in his left knee. Leonard won't travel on team's upcoming road trip. #Spurs

per twitter

Leonard was in the locker room last night after the game with his knees heavily wrapped in ice. Had an MRI today that confirmed the injury.

--

Might open some minutes for Nando if Manu has to play more SF minutes

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/121116_leonard_injury

(http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/121116_leonard_injury)

DesignatedT
11-16-2012, 04:45 PM
damn

pookenstein
11-16-2012, 04:46 PM
Shit.

bthewigwam
is that a type of injury that could linger?

tmtcsc
Better now than later. Thank goodness for Jack.

HI-FI
11-16-2012, 04:48 PM
please tell me this injury is something that can be corrected or dealt with...

he's one of the few giving me hope about this season.

TE
11-16-2012, 04:48 PM
..tshhhh

DPG21920
11-16-2012, 04:49 PM
SMH at this. Guys out of shape, guys injured, just frustrating at this point. Hopefully Jax doesn't wear down having to play more minutes...

playblair
11-16-2012, 04:50 PM
sign Witherspoon now

ace3g
11-16-2012, 04:51 PM
I wonder if Spurs bring in someone for a short stint to add some SF depth.

loveforthegame
11-16-2012, 04:52 PM
This sucks. I hope it's not a lingering type of injury.

phxspurfan
11-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Whatever, good thing it happened early. They better not rush him back.

Mr Fundamental
11-16-2012, 04:53 PM
pff..

Spurs Brazil
11-16-2012, 04:56 PM
Damn.

If Neal is OK start him and move Green to SF. So we don't mess with the bench too much. Mills would be the backup PG

spurraider21
11-16-2012, 05:00 PM
With a tough schedule coming up its pretty bad timing. But looking at it big picture, having an injury this time of the season isn't detrimental. I just hope it doesn't linger

timtonymanu
11-16-2012, 05:00 PM
:depressed

bklynspursfan
11-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Dam... Jack has been pretty solid defensively. Wish we had him for the Heat game, but guess not. Looking at the schedule he should be back after the road trip for our game vs the Grizz. If guys step up, we should be able to take care of this road trip.

Libri
11-16-2012, 05:06 PM
I hope Pop doesn't try to convert Bonner into a small forward.

KL2
11-16-2012, 05:07 PM
It sounds worse than it really is lol, I was reading up on it and it can become chronic but only if the person affected continues to run, jump etc. on it. All Kawhi needs is rest and it should heal up no problem.

Libri
11-16-2012, 05:08 PM
This is what the Toros have:

JaMychal Green
Tyler Wilkerson
Wesley Witherspoon

FkLA
11-16-2012, 05:09 PM
:pctoss

Bruno
11-16-2012, 05:10 PM
Bad news but if it's only a two weeks injury without long term consequences, it isn't a big deal.

I'm against Spurs signing a player to fill his spot. Giving Kawhi's playing time to Mills, De Colo or even Jospeh will help Spurs FO to better evaluate what they have, what they need and what is expandable.

justinandimcool
11-16-2012, 05:11 PM
more minutes for Manu :pctoss

Spur|n|Austin
11-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Well shit..

timvp
11-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Wow. This sucks.

TD 21
11-16-2012, 05:14 PM
I don't know how long Neal is going to be out, but if he's good to go tomorrow, I'd start Ginobili at SG and slide Green to SF. If Neal can't go, Ginobili should still enter quicker than usual, because whether Chandler plays or not, the Nuggets are loaded with big wings who are offensive threats, so a Ginobili-De Colo backup wing combination is not going to get it done.

You look at the upcoming schedule in general and it's going to be difficult to get away with playing Ginobili at SF much. They play a lot of teams with big SF's, who are offensive threats. They can hide him on a Barnes here and a McGuire there, but that's about it.

Raven
11-16-2012, 05:15 PM
damn it.

timvp
11-16-2012, 05:17 PM
According to the Spurs.com write-up, Leonard won't go on the six-game road trip. If that's true, the soonest he can return is Dec. 1 vs. Memphis, which is at the tail end of the 10-14 day estimate.

Hopefully it's not a lingering injury and they can get it under control. I can't even figure out for which reason this sucks the most :depressed

Das Texan
11-16-2012, 05:20 PM
Blessing in disguise.

Help Pop better evaluate the other guys on the team like Nando, Joseph, Mills, Neal, et al.

As long as this doesnt mean more minutes for Manu, this will be ok.

Spurs Brazil
11-16-2012, 05:23 PM
If Manu doesn't play more minutes he'll never get in shape. The more Manu plays better

justinandimcool
though he did great offensively last night, maybe this break will be good for Kawhi to get a rhythm going. he isn't exactly sophomore slumping, but he has started pretty slow. while some guys have to play out of a slump, sometimes a vacation does wonders (cough Manu cough)

not to mention more burn for Mills/Neal/De Colo

Kidd K
I wonder if Spurs bring in someone for a short stint to add some SF depth.

Don't need. Jack can play extended minutes, and both Manu and Diaw can play SF. We have more than enough guards to cover the SG spot.

DesignatedT
11-16-2012, 05:24 PM
If Neal is OK start him and move Green to SF. So we don't mess with the bench too much. Mills would be the backup PG

We would take a hit defensively but this is probably the move I would make.

Vic Petro
11-16-2012, 05:31 PM
:cuss:madrun:cuss

HI-FI
11-16-2012, 05:36 PM
just curious, is tendinitis something every player gets at some point or do some avoid it? i'm wondering is there a genetic component or is it all due to overuse/lifestyle. perhaps Kawhi has been pressing real hard in the gym to improve his game. I know i've had it in my elbow before. hoping Kawhi comes back stronger and better from the vacation.

crc21209
11-16-2012, 05:39 PM
Well shit. Our best defensive player is out now. This REALLY sucks. :td I would go with either Green at SG and Jack at SF or Neal at SG and Green at SF (Like others have already said here). Man...not having Kawhi against Denver, the Clippers, Boston, and Miami might hurt big time. But they should be able to handle Indiana, Toronto, Washington, and Orlando...

BatManu20
11-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Hopefully it's not something that lingers, as in for his career, cause that would really suck. Rest him up, give De Colo some PT and hopefully Jax is alright with playing more minutes. This Spurs team can't afford injuries late in the season so hopefully they get them out of the way early (looking at you Manu).

Norris Cole
11-16-2012, 06:03 PM
You're welcome...
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff120/slinykdoodle/random/nuse.jpg

Brazil
11-16-2012, 06:04 PM
there is actually a poster called BatManu20 :lmao

Zero_Twilight
11-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Ouch! There's no hiding the fact that Kawhi is a difference maker, the whole league is starting to recognize. I expect all stats to go down a bit unless someone decides to play super hero for a couple weeks, BatManu maybe? jk.

May your recovery be swift and smooth KL!

Brazil
11-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Seriously this sucks for Kawhi and for the spurs

TD 21
11-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Don't need. Jack can play extended minutes, and both Manu and Diaw can play SF. We have more than enough guards to cover the SG spot.

I disagree. This is a brutal upcoming stretch, both in terms of quality of opponent and amount of games (mostly road) in a condensed period, culminating with 4-in-5. If they were to bring someone in, obviously they wouldn't be in the rotation, but that's besides the point. They just need another body, in case of injury, foul trouble or just to save Jackson, Green and Ginobili, some wear and tear.

Mugen
11-16-2012, 06:12 PM
Matt Bonner, come on down.

Dex
11-16-2012, 06:12 PM

Manu doesn't seem to be in shape yet, and sliding Diaw over not only puts him out of position, it also makes room for more of the turd towers.

That being said, you're probably right...the Spurs won't bring anyone in. They'll just juggle with what they have.

Brazil
11-16-2012, 06:16 PM
If Manu doesn't play more minutes he'll never get in shape. The more Manu plays better

RIP Manu :depressed

Zero_Twilight
The one whos probably the most pissed off is Jack cuz now he gotta earn that cheque. hahahah :lol

Sean Cagney
Just great, first last nights blown game and then my horrible Dolphins lose on two INT's late and now this crap! What a good day this has been damnit.

Libri
11-16-2012, 06:19 PM
It must not be patellar tendinitis. I've experienced it. Also, a lot of athletes play through it. I'm guessing he has pain in the upper part of the knee.

TXstbobcat
11-16-2012, 06:34 PM
This sucks!!!! Get well soon!!!

TXstbobcat
11-16-2012, 06:36 PM
Captain Jack gets his chance to start for a few weeks.

therealtruth
11-16-2012, 06:44 PM
I don't know how long Neal is going to be out, but if he's good to go tomorrow, I'd start Ginobili at SG and slide Green to SF. If Neal can't go, Ginobili should still enter quicker than usual, because whether Chandler plays or not, the Nuggets are loaded with big wings who are offensive threats, so a Ginobili-De Colo backup wing combination is not going to get it done.

You look at the upcoming schedule in general and it's going to be difficult to get away with playing Ginobili at SF much. They play a lot of teams with big SF's, who are offensive threats. They can hide him on a Barnes here and a McGuire there, but that's about it.

I agree the best way to snap Manu out of his funk is to start him. Worked in '10 when he went on a tear after Parker got injured.

Mugen
11-16-2012, 06:53 PM
id be in favor of starting Neal/Manu/De Colo at the 2 and move Green to the 3 instead of starting Jack tbh.

Jack's been our best bench player so far and his D/toughness/playmaking is much more needed in the 2nd unit while Manu gets his groove back.

More i think about, I think Manu should start while Kawhi is out so he doesnt have to be relied on so heavily when hes obv not a 100%.

DapDaGenius
11-16-2012, 07:40 PM
is that a type of injury that could linger?

Yes, it very much can, if not treated correctly, but with the Spurs medical staff, we shouldn't have nothing to worry about. Now if it is severe(seeing that *anything* tendinitis can vary from person to person) Kawhi may end up playing with less minutes, but seeing that he is out 2 weeks or less, I don't think it's severe.

Floyd Pacquiao
11-16-2012, 07:51 PM
What is quadriceps tendonitis?Quadriceps tendonitis is a condition characterized by tissue damage and inflammation to the quadriceps tendon. This occurs at the quadriceps' attachment to the top of the knee cap causing pain in the front of the knee just above the knee cap.
The quadriceps muscle originates from the pelvis and thigh bone (femur) and inserts into the top of the knee cap (patella) which in turn attaches to the top of the tibia (shin bone) via the patella tendon (figure 1).

http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/assets/256/images/30155256(300x300).jpg

The quadriceps is responsible for straightening the knee during activity and controlling the bend of the knee during weight bearing activity. It is particularly active during sprinting, jumping, hopping, squatting or kicking activities. During contraction of the quadriceps, tension is placed through the quadriceps tendon. When this tension is excessive due to too much repetition or high force, damage to the quadriceps tendon may occur. Quadriceps tendonitis is a condition whereby there is damage to the quadriceps tendon with subsequent degeneration and inflammation.
Although this condition can occur at any age, it is more common in the older athlete.

Treatment for quadriceps tendonitisMost cases of quadriceps tendonitis settle with appropriate physiotherapy. The success rate of treatment is largely dictated by patient compliance. One of the key components of treatment is that the patient rests sufficiently from any activity that increases their pain until they are symptom free. Activities which place large amounts of stress on the quadriceps tendon should also be minimized, these include: running (especially up or down hills, or, on uneven surfaces), jumping, hopping, squatting and kicking. Rest from aggravating activities allows the body to begin the healing process in the absence of further tissue damage. Once the patient can perform these activities pain free, a gradual return to these activities is indicated provided there is no increase in symptoms.
Ignoring symptoms or adopting a 'no pain, no gain' attitude is likely to lead to the condition becoming chronic. Immediate, appropriate treatment in all patients is essential to ensure a speedy recovery. Once the condition is chronic, healing slows significantly resulting in markedly increased recovery times and an increased likelihood of future recurrence.
Patients with quadriceps tendonitis should follow the R.I.C.E. Regime (http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/7672771/rice-rest-ice-compression-elevation-injury.htm) in the initial phase of injury. The R.I.C.E regime is beneficial in the first 72 hours following injury or when inflammatory signs are present (i.e. morning pain, night pain or pain with rest). The R.I.C.E. regime involves resting from aggravating activities, regular icing, the use of a compression bandage and keeping the affected leg elevated. Anti-inflammatory medication may also hasten the healing process by reducing the pain and swelling associated with inflammation.
Manual "hands-on" therapy from the physiotherapist such as massage, trigger point releases, joint mobilisation, dry needling, stretches and electrotherapy can also assist with hastening healing and improving flexibility and function in patients with quadriceps tendonitis.
Patients with this condition should perform pain free flexibility and strengthening exercises as part of their rehabilitation to ensure an optimal outcome. The treating physiotherapist can advise which exercises are most appropriate for the patient and when they should be commenced. Typically, the rehabilitation program will focus on stretches for the quadriceps muscles and strengthening exercises for the quadriceps, gluteals and core stabilisers.
In the final stages of rehabilitation, a graduated return to running program (http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/7676241/return-to-running-physioadvisor.htm)is required to recondition the quadriceps tendon to running in a safe and effective manner. This should include the implementation of progressive acceleration and deceleration running drills before returning to sport and should be guided by the treating physiotherapist.

http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/14937350/quadriceps-tendonitis-physioadvisor.htm

timvp
11-16-2012, 08:00 PM
I think replacing Kawhi is pretty straightforward. Jackson starts at SF and Ginobili is the backup SF. That means Mills and Neal are the guards off the bench.

Last season, Ginobili was MUCH better defensively at small forward according to every available advanced statistic. Subjectively, I think it makes sense. While Ginobili isn't as quick as he used to be and can give up penetration against quick guards, he's still a mean SOB. Nobody ever bullies Ginobili in the low-block. If they try to, he usually either defends it well or draws an offensive foul.

To be honest, I have no worries about Ginobili defending small forwards. At this stage of his career, he probably defends that position better than SG anyways.

As for Jackson, it'll be a seamless move into the starting lineup. Hopefully Pop doesn't try to overthink this and makes this obvious lineup adjustment.

DesignatedT
11-16-2012, 08:16 PM
Not of fan of Patty and Neal being in the game at the same time.

siraulo23
11-16-2012, 08:23 PM
whii???

terrible

capek
11-16-2012, 08:59 PM

Ya, that's a good point. I'm mainly bummed because I think we were starting to see Kawhi's development come together, and it's a shame that this will delay that process by a few weeks. I think we have enough depth to come out of these next 1-2 weeks looking OK, but everybody is going to have to play a lot better than they have lately.

dunkman
11-16-2012, 09:04 PM
The Spurs can rotate Green, Manu and Jack at SG/SF. Plus some spot minutes for De Colo at SG. The problem is that Manu isn't playing well, and the Spurs won't be able to go small since Manu shouldn't play many minutes.

Parker and Mills at PG will be fine.

elemento
11-16-2012, 09:36 PM
If Neal doesn't play, SA simply can rotate Green, Jax and Manu to play the 2/3. I totally agree with dunkman. I prefer Green playing as a backup SF because his 3-pointer is way better than Manu's this season (Manu is shooting at 16% and Green at 44%). I think SA will be fine with Mills as Parker's backup. Hopefully Nando gets some minutes as well.

Kidd K
11-16-2012, 11:16 PM
I disagree. This is a brutal upcoming stretch, both in terms of quality of opponent and amount of games (mostly road) in a condensed period, culminating with 4-in-5. If they were to bring someone in, obviously they wouldn't be in the rotation, but that's besides the point. They just need another body, in case of injury, foul trouble or just to save Jackson, Green and Ginobili, some wear and tear.

We're already halfway through the tough stretch and are 2-1 with a close loss.

It's fine if you disagree, but bringing someone in who doesn't know the system and is likely a bottom of the barrel type player isn't going to do us any good short term or long term. SF and SG are pretty much our most stacked positions. We can afford to not have one of them for a week or two.

Manu doesn't seem to be in shape yet, and sliding Diaw over not only puts him out of position, it also makes room for more of the turd towers.

That being said, you're probably right...the Spurs won't bring anyone in. They'll just juggle with what they have.

Yeah, unfortunately it is going to result in more time for the "turd towers". Diaw used to play SF a lot though, he's not that bad at it. I expect he'll be sharing some of the minutes there. Not a ton, but likely around 1/4th of Kawhi's SF minutes will go to Diaw (if Pop goes that route), with the rest going to Manu and Jackson. Possibly more if Manu needs some time off too.

Gagnrath
11-16-2012, 11:53 PM
Kidd that was the thin version of Diaw early in his career, I could see it occasionally against some match-ups but most teams with today's Diaw it doesn't work out well match-up wise.

Russo21
11-16-2012, 11:57 PM
Shit happens. We won't miss him, he can take as much time to heal as he needs. As long as he is 100% come playoff time thats all that matters.

TheSkeptic
11-17-2012, 12:18 AM
Shit happens. We won't miss him, he can take as much time to heal as he needs. As long as he is 100% come playoff time thats all that matters.

How will we not miss him? Not only is he our best perimeter defender, his absence could result in Bonner or Blair seeing more court time. Plus Manu hasn't been playing all that well.

I agree with the sentiment that it's best to have him ready for the playoffs, but even if the Spurs run the table during this road trip it's not like we can say the team had an easier time winning without KL. This injury is quite a blow since our perimeter D has been questionable for a while now. His offensive output may be a little more replaceable but still...

txstr1986
11-17-2012, 01:11 AM
This blows.

I live in DC and I get one chance to see the Spurs, unless I travel. They're in Washington a week from Monday, so I'm going to miss seeing Kawhi in person this year...

Fireball
11-17-2012, 01:46 AM
The loss yesterday was sad, but opening the Spurstalk page and reading the thread title ... my weekend already sucks. Get well Kawhi!!!

Sean Cagney
11-17-2012, 03:49 AM
This blows.

I live in DC and I get one chance to see the Spurs, unless I travel. They're in Washington a week from Monday, so I'm going to miss seeing Kawhi in person this year...

Yeah I live Near DC TOO! Would that be some shit if we were the first team to lose to them there? I would not be surprised as things happen but man! I wanted to see Leonard too! I will watch the game here still, but man damn I wanted us at full to see them here.

racm
11-17-2012, 08:00 AM
Well, while he needs to get well soon he shouldn't be rushed.

Better have everyone ready for the postseason instead, tbh.

elemento
11-17-2012, 08:55 AM
Better now than in the playoffs.

And there's no way in hell Boris can play SF these days. It's much easier for him to play as a Center than as a SF. Pretty positive a SJAX/Manu/Green rotation will happen to eat those SG/SF minutes.

Hopefully he gets well soon, but with no rush.

dbestpro
11-17-2012, 09:35 AM
We have enough perimeter players to fill the holes, but what it does do is make it more difficult to play Pop's beloved small ball. I say use this as an excuse to make the move on KMart to fill a chronic hole, and play big ball until Leonard returns.

bigfan
11-17-2012, 09:39 AM
Witherspoon might be worth a quick look.

100%duncan
11-17-2012, 10:07 AM
fck.

Mark in Austin
11-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Hmmm... didn't this injury cause major problems (I think even surgery) for Elliott? Hopefully it's not as serious for Kawhi.

Darius McCrary
11-17-2012, 12:46 PM
McDonald just tweeted that the problem is I the quad, not the knee, which is somewhat semantic. either way, if a 21 year old has tendonitis problems in the knee area so early in the season, it tells us that Kawhi's off season weight lifting was improperly handled. He either has underdeveloped quad/ham muscles, or they are imbalanced. This shouldn't be a lingering problem if he waits until the flare up goes away, and then properly strengthens his leg muscles. However, it probably doesn't bode well for in-game performance if he's been spending off-days leg rehabbing.

KaiRMD1
11-17-2012, 04:11 PM
I see this as at least they are getting the injuries out of the way early on.

Stabula
11-17-2012, 05:07 PM
tendinceps quadrinitis? does that mean his leg hurts?

Wildcat67
11-17-2012, 06:52 PM
I'm not too worried about this being a big deal for the team overall, but this suck in that my favorite part of watching Spurs games is just keying in on Kawhi the whole game. Now who am I gonna watch?

Spurs da champs
11-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Well since it's the quad itself as opposed to the knee, I don't think that's such a bad thing.

Libri
11-17-2012, 07:13 PM
I'm not too worried about this being a big deal for the team overall, but this suck in that my favorite part of watching Spurs games is just keying in on Kawhi the whole game. Now who am I gonna watch?

Seeing Bonner glued to the bench should put you in a good mood.

TD 21
11-17-2012, 07:20 PM
We're already halfway through the tough stretch and are 2-1 with a close loss.

It's fine if you disagree, but bringing someone in who doesn't know the system and is likely a bottom of the barrel type player isn't going to do us any good short term or long term. SF and SG are pretty much our most stacked positions. We can afford to not have one of them for a week or two.

No, "we're" not. In fact, "we're" just begging it. The schedule doesn't ease up until after the December 1st game against the Grizzlies.

It's not about whether a bottom of the barrel type would do them any good short or long term, it's about having another body to soak up minutes during the situations I alluded to. And SF is the Spurs second shallowest position, next to C.

Spurs Brazil
11-17-2012, 08:06 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN Leonard says knee/quad has been bothering him since about third game of the season. Shutting it down to try and get to 100%.

danmccarneysaen Pop on Leonard's tendinitis: "It had become pretty painful for him, and at this point there was a little bit of a risk.

timvp
11-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Sounds like a good idea to shut him down. I've noted a couple times that Leonard didn't look like he was jumping too well. Looks like we've found the explanation.

I'm somewhat worried since tendinitis is difficult to predict but I'm hopeful since Kawhi bounced back from that calf strain last year within skipping a beat.

Bill_Brasky
11-17-2012, 08:38 PM
McDonald just tweeted that the problem is I the quad, not the knee, which is somewhat semantic. either way, if a 21 year old has tendonitis problems in the knee area so early in the season, it tells us that Kawhi's off season weight lifting was improperly handled. He either has underdeveloped quad/ham muscles, or they are imbalanced. This shouldn't be a lingering problem if he waits until the flare up goes away, and then properly strengthens his leg muscles. However, it probably doesn't bode well for in-game performance if he's been spending off-days leg rehabbing.

Thanks for the info, sounds like it's nothing to be worried about and he'll be back on the floor before we know it.

Kidd K
11-17-2012, 08:51 PM
No, "we're" not. In fact, "we're" just begging it. The schedule doesn't ease up until after the December 1st game against the Grizzlies.

It's not about whether a bottom of the barrel type would do them any good short or long term, it's about having another body to soak up minutes during the situations I alluded to. And SF is the Spurs second shallowest position, next to C.

What're "we" begging? Who's begging? I haven't seen anyone begging. If you meant "beginning", then no. We play 3 crap teams in a row after the Pacers (who sucked against us anyway). It doesn't matter that the games after that are together on a road trip. That's probably going to be 3-0. Craptors, Whizzers, and the Tragic? Gimmie a break, what are they gonna do? Those are as close as you're gonna get to auto road wins unless Pop rests the starters.

Anyway, no SF isn't our shallowest position, because you're not including that Ginobili, Jackson, and Diaw play SF. Add that with Kawhi, and SF is our second deepest position after SG. And to be honest, it's probably our best position considering that everyone who can play it is good defensively, can shoot, and 3 of the 4 can make a play for the team.

Have you never heard of a depth chart before? You don't have to answer, it was a rhetorical question.

TD 21
11-17-2012, 09:52 PM
What're "we" begging? Who's begging? I haven't seen anyone begging. If you meant "beginning", then no. We play 3 crap teams in a row after the Pacers (who sucked against us anyway). It doesn't matter that the games after that are together on a road trip. That's probably going to be 3-0. Craptors, Whizzers, and the Tragic? Gimmie a break, what are they gonna do? Those are as close as you're gonna get to auto road wins unless Pop rests the starters.

Anyway, no SF isn't our shallowest position, because you're not including that Ginobili, Jackson, and Diaw play SF. Add that with Kawhi, and SF is our second deepest position after SG. And to be honest, it's probably our best position considering that everyone who can play it is good defensively, can shoot, and 3 of the 4 can make a play for the team.

Have you never heard of a depth chart before? You don't have to answer, it was a rhetorical question.

I meant the fact that they don't get more than one day off combined with the fact that they play a bunch of good teams (Nuggets, Clippers, Celtics, Heat, Grizzlies). And the ones that aren't good all come in a 4-in-5 stretch, which makes those games more challenging than they otherwise would be.

You obviously lack basic reading comprehension otherwise you'd know I said "second shallowest position". Diaw hasn't been able to play SF in years, while Green and especially Ginobili are clearly better suited to playing SG.

Kidd K
11-17-2012, 10:36 PM
I meant the fact that they don't get more than one day off combined with the fact that they play a bunch of good teams (Nuggets, Clippers, Celtics, Heat, Grizzlies). And the ones that aren't good all come in a 4-in-5 stretch, which makes those games more challenging than they otherwise would be.

You obviously lack basic reading comprehension otherwise you'd know I said "second shallowest position". Diaw hasn't been able to play SF in years, while Green and especially Ginobili are clearly better suited to playing SG.

Not getting time off doesn't matter when you're playing 3 of the worst teams in the league who are in the process of tanking the season. Very high chance we will be 3-0 in that span unless Pop rests guys. You can't bring up the Celtics and Clippers, because like I already spoke of those in the first post you replied to about the Spurs' schedule, and said the schedule softened up AFTER those games.

I know you said "second shallowest". Add in "second" if you really want to be that anal about relaying your exact words, and everything still means the exact same. You obviously lack basic reading comprehension skills since I said it was our second deepest position, and arguably our strongest. Which means it's the 4th shallowest at worst, making you still wrong.

Diaw is able to play SF when needed (tall lineup); he's just a better player PF so will get most of his time there. It also doesn't matter if Ginobili and Green are better suited to play SG, because first of all, I didn't even mention Green, and secondly, Manu has been playing a lot of SF for years. You just haven't noticed it since you apparently don't pay attention. He's well suited for it. Shat all over Denver tonight, mostly playing SF.

SF is arguably our strongest position (everyone we play there is good on both ends of the floor), yet you think it's the 2nd worst position for us. You're so wrong about this, it's hilarious tbh.

Manufan909
11-18-2012, 01:06 AM
I think replacing Kawhi is pretty straightforward. Jackson starts at SF and Ginobili is the backup SF. That means Mills and Neal are the guards off the bench.

Last season, Ginobili was MUCH better defensively at small forward according to every available advanced statistic. Subjectively, I think it makes sense. While Ginobili isn't as quick as he used to be and can give up penetration against quick guards, he's still a mean SOB. Nobody ever bullies Ginobili in the low-block. If they try to, he usually either defends it well or draws an offensive foul.

To be honest, I have no worries about Ginobili defending small forwards. At this stage of his career, he probably defends that position better than SG anyways.

As for Jackson, it'll be a seamless move into the starting lineup. Hopefully Pop doesn't try to overthink this and makes this obvious lineup adjustment.
This. I also agree with whoever said this is a blessing in disguise because now Pop gets to work Mills and de Colo into the rotation more. Not to mention the fact that Neal's out, allowing de Colo even more time to prove himself. I almost wish that Neal would be out longer so that CoJo might've been called up to get some burn. He definitely would have played tonight.

Russo21
11-18-2012, 06:23 AM
Not good. I've had that for the last 10+ years. Combo of knee, ligament, lower quad pain/tendanitis. It's never gone away.

Kawhi should be fine though. Let's hope with rest, plenty of $$$ and plenty of advanced medical rehab and conditioning our boy will be fine sooner rather then later. Time for our medical staff to step up :) Get the kid rested and healthy and in peak conditioning come april/may/june. It's a marathon not a sprint. I'll miss seeing him play and grow in the short term though, it's a pleasure watching our young guns shine.

racm
11-18-2012, 07:11 AM
This. I also agree with whoever said this is a blessing in disguise because now Pop gets to work Mills and de Colo into the rotation more. Not to mention the fact that Neal's out, allowing de Colo even more time to prove himself. I almost wish that Neal would be out longer so that CoJo might've been called up to get some burn. He definitely would have played tonight.

Remember when Steve Smith got injured and young Jackson/Manu got more burn? Of course Smith was out of the rotation soon enough.

Not good. I've had that for the last 10+ years. Combo of knee, ligament, lower quad pain/tendanitis. It's never gone away.

Kawhi should be fine though. Let's hope with rest, plenty of $$$ and plenty of advanced medical rehab and conditioning our boy will be fine sooner rather then later. Time for our medical staff to step up :) Get the kid rested and healthy and in peak conditioning come april/may/june. It's a marathon not a sprint. I'll miss seeing him play and grow in the short term though, it's a pleasure watching our young guns shine.

The Spurs medical staff is one of the better ones, tbh... Manu would have been chopped liver on any other team and 36 year old Duncan wouldn't be averaging 2.6 blocks without their help.

Spurs Brazil
11-18-2012, 09:14 AM
Leonard’s injury comes at good time
Posted on November 17, 2012 at 10:53 pm by Mike Monroe

“It’s not all that bad,” Leonard said Saturday before the Spurs beat the Nuggets 126-100 at the AT&T Center. He’s confident he will make a complete recovery, “but we want to make sure it’s not something that comes up during the playoffs. Just rest up and get it healthy and then monitor it.”

Keep reading: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/11/17/spurs-leondard-confident-hell-return-soon/

Stabula
11-18-2012, 12:30 PM
Leonard’s injury comes at good time Posted on November 17, 2012 at 10:53 pm by Mike Monroe “It’s not all that bad,” Leonard said Saturday before the Spurs beat the Nuggets 126-100 at the AT&T Center. He’s confident he will make a complete recovery, “but we want to make sure it’s not something that comes up during the playoffs. Just rest up and get it healthy and then monitor it.” Keep reading: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/11/17/spurs-leondard-confident-hell-return-soon/ The caption underneath the picture of De Colo "Spurs guard Nando De Colo drives as Kosta Koufos of the Nuggets defends during the fourth quarter on Friday at the Alamodome. Billy Calzada/San Antonio Express-News"

HI-FI
11-18-2012, 05:05 PM

I wonder how much of tendinitis is from genetics (ie how the body is built, being flat footed etc...) vs overuse or lack of proper care. I hope with Kawhi it's simply overuse, since in the article posted above, Manu mentions he never saw him on the trainer's table last season. I imagine he's been pushing hard, which is a good sign, just hope this isn't an ongoing problem. I do have faith in the medical staff though, they have to be up there with the Sun's staff.

txstr1986
11-18-2012, 10:24 PM
Yeah I live Near DC TOO! Would that be some shit if we were the first team to lose to them there? I would not be surprised as things happen but man! I wanted to see Leonard too! I will watch the game here still, but man damn I wanted us at full to see them here.

That would blow.

The Wizards are so bad they're practically giving away tickets to get people in the seats.

Kool Bob Love
11-19-2012, 12:55 AM
That would blow.

The Wizards are so bad they're practically giving away tickets to get people in the seats.

yeah but we got clowns making threads about the Spurs attendance.

whatever

Bruno
11-23-2012, 08:05 PM

After the road trip, Spurs have a game against Memphis followed by three days off. It would be a typical Pop move to sit down Kawhi for the Memphis game and have him back on December 5th against Bucks.

ace3g
11-28-2012, 05:52 PM
dan mccarney ‏@danmccarneysaen (https://twitter.com/danmccarneysaen) Leonard targeting memphis game for return. No official clearance from club.

Stabula
11-28-2012, 06:35 PM
dan mccarney ‏@danmccarneysaen (https://twitter.com/danmccarneysaen) Leonard targeting memphis game for return. No official clearance from club. I'm definitely keeping my fingers crossed we'll really need Leonard for Memphis. If Pop feels Leonard's health is more important than the W then I'd reluctantly concede.

timvp
11-28-2012, 06:40 PM
dan mccarney ‏@danmccarneysaen (https://twitter.com/danmccarneysaen) Leonard targeting memphis game for return. No official clearance from club.

Sounds good. I doubt the club can/will give him clearance until they return from the road trip.

However, since the Spurs have a break after the Grizzlies game, they could hold him out to take advantage.

timvp
12-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Pop says that Kawhi is unlikely to play at all during this homestand. Setback? Scary news since those original 14 days are already up.

HI-FI
12-01-2012, 08:35 PM
i really hope there isn't a setback. hopefully Pop playing it too safe per par. if he doesn't play at all during this homestand, i'm gonna start worrying. he sounded good in his recent interview. hopefully it's Pop being CIA Pop.

TimDunkem
12-01-2012, 09:50 PM
It probably has more to do with Pop and the staff playing it safe with Kawhi.