PDA

View Full Version : My annual performance review is coming up

GoodOdor
11-17-2012, 04:17 PM
This is a first time for me - never had to fill on out before.

The scale is from 1-5, where 3 means you're doing a good job. From asking around, it looks like giving 5's on anything is almost frowned upon.

What grades should I be giving myself? Right now I'm thinking 3's on most everything, with maybe a couple 4's thrown in.

I'm also supposed to give a review on my boss......who is also the head of the HR department, so I'm sure he's gonna get to read everything I write, which makes

it a little weird.....do I give him all 4's, or what?

Advice from the good ST poeple is much appreciated!

baseline bum
11-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Fucking beta question. Give yourself 10s all around, then you give a 1 in every box for the boss before stapling it to his forehead and slapping his secretary.

silverblk mystix
11-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Fucking beta question. Give yourself 10s all around, then you give a 1 in every box for the boss before stapling it to his forehead and slapping his secretary.

cue the mav crew fellating you for this

Koolaid_Man
11-17-2012, 05:34 PM
This is a first time for me - never had to fill on out before.

The scale is from 1-5, where 3 means you're doing a good job. From asking around, it looks like giving 5's on anything is almost frowned upon.

What grades should I be giving myself? Right now I'm thinking 3's on most everything, with maybe a couple 4's thrown in.

I'm also supposed to give a review on my boss......who is also the head of the HR department, so I'm sure he's gonna get to read everything I write, which makes

it a little weird.....do I give him all 4's, or what?

Advice from the good ST poeple is much appreciated!

Be well prepared....Make sure you know the names of all the special sauces, how long it takes the cheese to melt on top of the patty, and how much salt to apply to the fries...

You'll knock em dead kid...don't worry

Reck
11-17-2012, 05:43 PM
Be well prepared....Make sure you know the names of all the special sauces, how long it takes the cheese to melt on top of the patty, and how much salt to apply to the fries...

Feeling bored these past few days? :lmao

silverblk mystix
11-17-2012, 05:44 PM

Or

Make sure the Squeegee is top quality and the newspapers are clean and make sure it is a good corner with tons of traffic.....:lmao

GoodOdor
11-17-2012, 06:03 PM
I need advice from people with actual jobs/careers....security guards/retail workers need
not reply please:lol

Koolaid_Man
11-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Or

Make sure the Squeegee is top quality and the newspapers are clean and make sure it is a good corner with tons of traffic.....:lmao

:lol

Koolaid_Man
11-17-2012, 06:48 PM
I need advice from people with actual jobs/careers....security guards/retail workers need
not reply please:lol

Make sure you know the minimum wage rate going in and take no less than a .50 cent increase.

monosylab1k
11-17-2012, 08:18 PM
cue the mav crew fellating you for this

:tu those dumb dallas dickless dipshits

ploto
11-17-2012, 10:50 PM
That is how it is at my job. My boss flat out told me that they are pretty much not allowed to give a 5. If they give a 5, then HR will send it back. Even to give a 4, they have to list multiple reasons to justify the 4. I pretty much pick the couple of strongest qualities that I have and give myself a 4 on them. Although, last review, I did give myself a 5 because of an especially tough project in which I performed duties way above my job classification. Boss still gave me a 4 but I wanted it documented from my viewpoint.

leemajors
11-17-2012, 10:53 PM
It's your chance to self promote. Some girl at my roomate's job wrote two pages of BS and got a promotion simply because everyone else did way less. It doesn't work that way where I work, but it's a good idea to keep track of any "accomplishments" you had during the year cause your manager is probably too busy/lazy to remember everything you did and put them all in there.

mavs>spurs
11-17-2012, 10:59 PM
That is how it is at my job. My boss flat out told me that they are pretty much not allowed to give a 5. If they give a 5, then HR will send it back. Even to give a 4, they have to list multiple reasons to justify the 4. I pretty much pick the couple of strongest qualities that I have and give myself a 4 on them. Although, last review, I did give myself a 5 because of an especially tough project in which I performed duties way above my job classification. Boss still gave me a 4 but I wanted it documented from my viewpoint.

you tit-fucked 10 guys in one night instead of just 5? man, your pimp is a tough grader.

DMC
11-18-2012, 01:57 AM
Don't worry about it. They already know what percentage of the allotted pie you are getting. The documentation is just to make you feel that your work had something to do with it. They gather in a room and basically fight for money for their people, and if your boss is a pussy, you're fucked because the other department managers bent him over and you're getting the shaft. He will give you some lame ass excuse like "We're giving 2.4% this year because it gives you more room to grow at this level, otherwise we would have to bump you up a grade and that would put you in the lower pay scale for that grade and you'd end up making less money because of the number of people in that grade".

I know this because I used to argue for my guys and often got my share and more because some department manager was absent and he got the bare minimum. Sucks but you have to be lucky or thoughtful enough to work for someone who gives a shit. But we never gave the review paperwork any thought, most managers just copy/pasted the previous review and added a few nice words here and there.

GoodOdor
11-18-2012, 02:51 AM
Don't worry about it. They already know what percentage of the allotted pie you are getting. The documentation is just to make you feel that your work had something to do with it. They gather in a room and basically fight for money for their people, and if your boss is a pussy, you're fucked because the other department managers bent him over and you're getting the shaft. He will give you some lame ass excuse like "We're giving 2.4% this year because it gives you more room to grow at this level, otherwise we would have to bump you up a grade and that would put you in the lower pay scale for that grade and you'd end up making less money because of the number of people in that grade".

I know this because I used to argue for my guys and often got my share and more because some department manager was absent and he got the bare minimum. Sucks but you have to be lucky or thoughtful enough to work for someone who gives a shit. But we never gave the review paperwork any thought, most managers just copy/pasted the previous review and added a few nice words here and there.

Yeah, a coworker who has gone through it basically told me that the raise I'll be getting is already decided..........

Still, I think he's pretty happy with my work - When I was hired, there's usually a 3 month probation period before you become a full employee - I was converted within 3 weeks.
I also received a spot bonus for $500 during one month where I helped cover a coworker who was out for a medical reason.

Tbh, I'm hoping/expecting for more than the 3-5% average that most people get.....

Koolaid_Man
11-18-2012, 09:16 AM
Yeah, a coworker who has gone through it basically told me that the raise I'll be getting is already decided..........

Still, I think he's pretty happy with my work - When I was hired, there's usually a 3 month probation period before you become a full employee - I was converted within 3 weeks.
I also received a spot bonus for $500 during one month where I helped cover a coworker who was out for a medical reason.

Tbh, I'm hoping/expecting for more than the 3-5% average that most people get.....

:lol $500 bucks...3-5%...ok I tell you what...

if your boss is female after she gives you your .50 cent raise tell her you will eat her pussy in the bathroom after the store closes...

if you work for a guy then try the same approach...:lol

leemajors
11-18-2012, 11:38 AM

My manager did that this year, but she forgot the weighted criteria for merit increases changed. Made for a funny read in light of the changes though :lol

JudynTX
11-19-2012, 12:14 PM
No one is perfect, you don't deserve a 5. Now they have documentation in case they want to fire your ass. :lol

JoeChalupa
11-19-2012, 12:16 PM
I just had my annual PA this morning. I did okay and will get my raise again. Job security is the key. Phew.