PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies: Are the Grizzlies for real?

LkrFan
11-17-2012, 10:04 PM
They are perched on top of their division at 8-1. After a 9-point road defeat to the Clippers on opening night, they've had impressive wins against Heat, OKC, and New York (consecutive Ws BTW). SA is not to be counted out by any stretch of the imagination, but Memphis is bigger, more athletic, and younger so I have to believe they will win the division (injuries aside for either team).

I like their swag. I like their toughness. They don't seem intimidated and looks like they are primed to make the next step. Thoughts?

Clipper Nation
11-17-2012, 10:09 PM
Not having a superstar pretty much lowers their expectations as far as playoffs are concerned, and they're not as deep as advertised... I have to believe they'll cool off eventually...

baseline bum
11-17-2012, 10:12 PM
Randolph is having another monster year again. With their size they have a real shot to take the conference if they stay healthy.

11-17-2012, 10:18 PM
they play hard defense, have an allstar frontcourt, a dynamic wing player, a scoring PG, and play efficient offense where not one person dominates the ball. they've been following the spurs' championship blueprint. they even have their own lockdown defender in tony allen. they can make the WCF this year if they stay healthy.

Clipper Nation
11-17-2012, 10:20 PM
they've been following the spurs' championship blueprint.

Except they don't have a Tony Parker, Tim Duncan, or Manu...

People have said the same shit about Memphis for three years now, tbh... I get it, they're a small-market team, they act tough on the court, "grit n' grind," etc., but it's sickening how people have lined up to fellate the Memphis freaking Grizzlies, tbh....

rayjayjohnson
11-17-2012, 10:26 PM
grizz are better than the clippers tbh

Clipper Nation
11-17-2012, 10:28 PM
grizz are better than the clippers tbh

Tbh, recent head-to-head results suggest otherwise...

rayjayjohnson
11-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Tbh, recent head-to-head results suggest otherwise...

last i heard playoff series are 7 games.

grizz are for real. you need to accept it.

Clipper Nation
11-17-2012, 10:31 PM
last i heard playoff series are 7 games.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2012/matchup/_/teams/grizzlies-clippers

rayjayjohnson
11-17-2012, 10:33 PM
that was last year son.

grizz are back and they're better.

Clipper Nation
11-17-2012, 10:34 PM
Clippers got better too... no more Foye or Mo Williams stinking up the joint, tbh....

baseline bum
11-17-2012, 10:39 PM
You're not giving Randolph enough credit. He's a monster on the glass, is a pretty versitale scorer, and he's shown himself to be a bigtime playoff performer. The Clippers look really solid too (especially if Odom can ever get in shape), but don't hate on the grizz man.

Clipper Nation
11-17-2012, 10:40 PM
It's a rivalry, I gotta hate on the Grizz, tbh... :downspin:

pass1st
11-17-2012, 10:53 PM
Grizz are dangerous, shedding OJ probably helped chemistry

rayjayjohnson
11-17-2012, 10:53 PM
It's a rivalry, I gotta hate on the Grizz, tbh... :downspin:

good point

LkrFan
11-17-2012, 10:57 PM
Rudy is maturing as a player as well. He stood up LeBron, KD, and Melo. Then dropped L's on all 3 of them. I'm impressed with them tbh.

Brazil
11-18-2012, 12:47 AM
I like Grizz chance tbh to reach the WCF

their starting 5 is one of the most balanced in the nba tbh

their flaw is their bench, Speights is solid but the rest sucks badly

Paranoid Pop
11-18-2012, 12:58 AM

Yup and the Clipper have the strongest bench in the nba, that's how they stole the series last year. The Clips looks like the early favorites to win the west to me but it's a long season.

baseline bum
11-18-2012, 01:52 AM

It'll be interesting to see if they can upgrade it before the deadline. That size though, I mean, they have a really high ceiling with Randolph and Gasol playing like they are. I know Miami would want no part of that matchup in the Finals.

racm
11-18-2012, 06:26 AM

This is true. Conley/Allen force turnovers like crazy and Conley isn't horrible on offense and tries to get a good shot.

Gay is a scorer who occasionally becomes a chucker but when he chucks Randolph boxes everyone out

Randolph might be an MVP candidate, tbh; then Fat Gasol is the same as his bro but not as soft

Raven
11-18-2012, 06:53 AM
still haven't made up my mind about it.. two years ago without gay they looked like the real deal, but when gay came back they regressed a lot.. if they have finally learned how to make zach and rudy work well toghether, they may be up to something...

Stalin
11-18-2012, 06:59 AM
still haven't made up my mind about it.. two years ago without gay they looked like the real deal, but when gay came back they regressed a lot.. if they have finally learned how to make zach and rudy work well toghether, they may be up to something...

fascinating tale, scrah

racm
11-18-2012, 07:39 AM

Gay was out for the end of the 2011 season when Randolph beat up on TOSB Duncan/Dice and the turd towers. Then Randolph only played in 38 games last season (starting in 8) then was unsurprisingly ineffective in the playoffs.

Now they're both healthy and don't have a chucker in Mayo to take away touches from them and Fat Gasol

TheCultOfPersonality
11-18-2012, 09:36 AM
I'll say this. The Grizzlies are not the same team they were last season.

1. This season's Zach Randolph is much better than last season's Zach Randolph.
2. The Grizzlies backup point guard is not Jeremy Pargo (who sucks) or OJ Mayo (who doesn't have good handles and is turnover prone at that position). After years of the backup PG being a liability to the Grizzlies they finally found a decent backup point guard in Jerryd Bayless who comes in and runs the offense, hits some shots, and don't get the Grizzlies beat.
3. The Grizzlies are a better 3 point shooting team than they were last season (although they sucked against Charlotte) which has a little bit to do with the additions of Bayless and Ellington and the improvement of Quincy Pondexter. Can they keep it up? We shall see.

The Grizzlies should be getting Darrell Arthur back soon.

Latarian Milton
11-18-2012, 09:37 AM
their next step will be exchanging some of their best performers to the lakers for some craps, they are farming team to lakers

TheCultOfPersonality
11-18-2012, 09:40 AM
their next step will be exchanging some of their best performers to the lakers for some craps, they are farming team to lakers
The Grizzlies got Marc Gasol and a draft pick that turned into Darrell Arthur in that Lakers trade.

Jodelo
11-18-2012, 10:19 AM
Arthur is a key for the Grizzlies. I like his game!

scanry
11-18-2012, 10:23 AM
fascinating tale, scrah

:lol

scanry
11-18-2012, 10:26 AM

Thank god Jerry West is longer running that franchise. Mf@cker gifted the Lakers 2 championships.

JamStone
11-18-2012, 10:33 AM
I'm not convinced. I think their ceiling is second round in the playoffs. They're still a good team, but I don't think they're a legitimate title contender or a legit contender to take the WC.

scanry
11-18-2012, 10:58 AM
I'm not convinced. I think their ceiling is second round in the playoffs. They're still a good team, but I don't think they're a legitimate title contender or a legit contender to take the WC.

Pretty obvious because they don't have a superstar to take them all the way. The 2005 Pistons are the only team that won it all without a superstar. They were very well coached, cold blooded and played exceptional Defense. I always wonder how the Spurs could've fared against the Pistons in 2004? Weren't they the top two defensive teams that year?

DUNCANownsKOBE
11-18-2012, 11:16 AM
The Spurs would have beaten the Pistons in 2004. The Pistons won the finals that year because of Karl Malone's injury and Kobe deciding it would be better to lose than watch Shaq win another finals MVP.

Richie
11-18-2012, 12:36 PM
I think the Grizz are hugely underrated. They have all the pieces to win a championship IMO, especially with a lot of teams playing small at the 4.

They need to keep everyone healthy and get some chemistry. They may not have a superstar but with such a huge front court and good defenders like Allen they can match up well with a lot of teams.

Health has been in issue in previous years for Randolph and Gay. If they are 100% going in to the playoffs they will cause some upsets.

scanry
11-18-2012, 01:15 PM
The Spurs would have beaten the Pistons in 2004. The Pistons won the finals that year because of Karl Malone's injury and Kobe deciding it would be better to lose than watch Shaq win another finals MVP.

Truth bomb.

baseline bum
11-18-2012, 01:20 PM

I disagree; the 04 Pistons were a lot deeper than the 05 Pistons that took the Spurs to 7 games, and the 04 Spurs didn't have Barry. Their backup PG situation was a mess with Jason Hart also, and Nesterovic was their center (they didn't get the Rose for Mohammed gift from Isiah until the next season). Duncan was healthier in 04, but I'm not sure that cancels everything else out. I think the 04 Pistons would have probably won the series in 6 against the 04 Spurs.

For instance, their shallow bench in 05 was a huge problem in game 7 when Duncan got the Wallaces and McDyess in foul trouble in the third quarter, and they got stuck putting Prince on him (of course Duncan went off). In 04 they had not only the Wallaces, but Mehmet Okur, Elden Campbell, and Corliss Williamson to throw on Duncan. I think they were much better equipped for guarding Duncan that year,

Bill_Brasky
11-18-2012, 01:27 PM
Rudy Gay is in mash mode lately.

baseline bum
11-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Crap, I see that Campbell was on their 05 roster too. Not sure why Brown didn't go to him instead of Prince to guard Duncan in game 7, as Cambell gave them good minutes against Shaq in the 04 Finals.

purplengold
11-18-2012, 01:52 PM
grizz gota good shot if west keep fuckin up, they floor is the 2nd round prolly

baseline bum
11-18-2012, 02:03 PM
I don't see why everyone says their ceiling is the second round. They gave OKC a hell of a series in 2011 and weren't far from making the WCF then. With a healthy Gay they're now significantly better than that team while the Thunder have seriously regressed after the retarded Harden trade. With no 2011 Mavs in the conference it's hard to see how the Grizz don't have a great shot.

purplengold
11-18-2012, 02:14 PM
said floor

ElNono
11-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Rudy has yet to show he can handle pressure situations... last season coach put the series against the Clips in his hands, and he blew it.

LkrFan
11-18-2012, 05:55 PM
I'll say this. The Grizzlies are not the same team they were last season.

1. This season's Zach Randolph is much better than last season's Zach Randolph.
2. The Grizzlies backup point guard is not Jeremy Pargo (who sucks) or OJ Mayo (who doesn't have good handles and is turnover prone at that position). After years of the backup PG being a liability to the Grizzlies they finally found a decent backup point guard in Jerryd Bayless who comes in and runs the offense, hits some shots, and don't get the Grizzlies beat.
3. The Grizzlies are a better 3 point shooting team than they were last season (although they sucked against Charlotte) which has a little bit to do with the additions of Bayless and Ellington and the improvement of Quincy Pondexter. Can they keep it up? We shall see.

The Grizzlies should be getting Darrell Arthur back soon.

I like the Bayless pickup. I didn't even know he was backing up Conley. And I totally forgot about Arthur not playing yet. They have playoff experience, their core has been together a few years now, and they have internally improved (through jettison OJ and Rudy/Zach's consistent play). They have size, rebounding, athleticism, speed, and toughness. Things are looking good for dem Grizzlies tbh.

scanry
11-18-2012, 09:25 PM
I disagree; the 04 Pistons were a lot deeper than the 05 Pistons that took the Spurs to 7 games, and the 04 Spurs didn't have Barry. Their backup PG situation was a mess with Jason Hart also, and Nesterovic was their center (they didn't get the Rose for Mohammed gift from Isiah until the next season). Duncan was healthier in 04, but I'm not sure that cancels everything else out. I think the 04 Pistons would have probably won the series in 6 against the 04 Spurs.

For instance, their shallow bench in 05 was a huge problem in game 7 when Duncan got the Wallaces and McDyess in foul trouble in the third quarter, and they got stuck putting Prince on him (of course Duncan went off). In 04 they had not only the Wallaces, but Mehmet Okur, Elden Campbell, and Corliss Williamson to throw on Duncan. I think they were much better equipped for guarding Duncan that year,

The series could have gone either way. The Laker series pretty much exposed the PG weakness the Spurs had, but i still think we could've taken it. Duncan was much healthier in 2004 and he had two bum knees in 2005. The Lakers losing in 5 is still a mystery to me. Shaq was putting up 2001 like numbers and they (Kobe) still found a way to f@ck it up. Looking back at the finals numbers, Shaq shot 60% from the field, took 28 fewer FG's than Kobe and yet he still outscored him in the finals. :wow

baseline bum
11-19-2012, 02:38 AM
The series could have gone either way. The Laker series pretty much exposed the PG weakness the Spurs had, but i still think we could've taken it. Duncan was much healthier in 2004 and he had two bum knees in 2005. The Lakers losing in 5 is still a mystery to me. Shaq was putting up 2001 like numbers and they (Kobe) still found a way to f@ck it up. Looking back at the finals numbers, Shaq shot 60% from the field, took 28 fewer FG's than Kobe and yet he still outscored him in the finals. :wow

Huh? The Lakers played a gimmick defense where they just packed the lane and dared Turkoglu, Horry, and Bowen to shoot threes all day, and none of them could buy a basket. Turkoglu was especially bad, since half his shots were taken with no one within 10 feet of him. Parker was shredding the Lakers until they brought out that defense in game 3. There was nothing he was going to do when wide open outside shots weren't falling; LA was practically playing a zone.

thunderfan
11-19-2012, 09:55 AM
Too early to tell. They could potentially go far. They are a very good team. However, until you go far in the playoffs, you're unproven. Playing great early is nice, but it's not necessarily an indicator of how far a team will go in the playoffs. People tend to draw conclusions too early. THis isn't a 10 game season. Drawing conclusions on a short sample size is a dangerous thing.

TIMMYtoZO
11-19-2012, 01:18 PM

My nig, Deandre, with the goods.

Clipper Nation
11-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Come on now... Lost in the tears over :cry Karl Malone's injury :cry is that the Lakers still had Shaq, as well as familiar roleplayers such as Fisher, Horace Grant, Rick Fox, and Rapist Snitch Ballhog, and yet they still got whooped and exposed by Detroit... nobody was beating the Pistons that year, tbh....

Morg1411
11-19-2012, 02:46 PM
I like the Grizz this season. They're scary good. They do need to upgrade their bench, which is only so-so beyond Bayless and Pondexter, but apart from that they're playin' some mean ball.

thunderfan
11-19-2012, 03:03 PM
I like the Grizz this season. They're scary good. They do need to upgrade their bench, which is only so-so beyond Bayless and Pondexter, but apart from that they're playin' some mean ball.

Their bench is actually very good. Ellington, Speights, Arthur.

DUNCANownsKOBE
11-19-2012, 03:46 PM
Come on now... Lost in the tears over :cry Karl Malone's injury :cry is that the Lakers still had Shaq, as well as familiar roleplayers such as Fisher, Horace Grant, Rick Fox, and Rapist Snitch Ballhog, and yet they still got whooped and exposed by Detroit... nobody was beating the Pistons that year, tbh....

1) Horance Grant didn't play a single minute of the 2004 finals or playoffs for that matter due to an injury. That's why Medvedenko was their only option once Malone went down. Nice try on the revisionist history.
2) Rick Fox played 30 minutes total during the finals, so 6 minutes per game. He also missed most of their regular season games and was banged up all year iirc. Mentioning him as an asset to them is pretty dumb.
3) They didn't get whooped as much as people like to remember. Detroit had absolutely no answer to Shaq in game 1 and only won because Kobe shot the Lakers out of it and deliberately denied Shaq the ball. If Kobe actually got the ball to Shaq, LA wins game 1 and never gives up home court. The 2-3-2 format made that series look more one sided than it was.
4) The Pistons were taken to 7 games by the Nets and almost to 7 by the Pacers. They got through a horrible conference in semi-convincing fashion and got to play a team that was imploding and in the finals because of a fluky shot. Every championship team had some amount of luck going for them, but the 2004 Pistons lucked out due to a shitty Eastern Conference and Kobe's ego finally exploding.

Morg1411
11-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Forgot about Speights. Ellington is hot right now, I'll be curious to see if he can maintain that level of play. Either way, they're damn good, at least at the moment.

Clipper Nation
11-19-2012, 03:55 PM
Tbh, Detroit was just toying with them scrub-ass Nets... didn't they finish the regular season on a 20-4 run? Also, Pacers were pretty nice that year, they won 61 games...

Not sure why you want to scoff at the Pistons, tbh... with the talent the Lakers had even without Malone, their 1-4 Finals exit was a huge embarrassment and exposure, tbh....

DUNCANownsKOBE
11-19-2012, 03:58 PM
Tbh, Detroit was just toying with them scrub-ass Nets... didn't they finish the regular season on a 20-4 run? Also, Pacers were pretty nice that year, they won 61 games...

Not sure why you want to scoff at the Pistons, tbh... with the talent the Lakers had even without Malone, their 1-4 Finals exit was a huge embarrassment and exposure, tbh....
I'll respond to the content of this post after you admit to revising history regarding Horance Grant.

Clipper Nation
11-19-2012, 04:02 PM
I'll respond to the content of this post after you admit to revising history regarding Horance Grant.
Tbh, I thought he got a few minutes, but then I realized I was confusing that for some reason with Detroit giving Elden Campbell minutes, my bad...

tlongII
11-19-2012, 06:21 PM
I think they're legit. They have a strong post game, they rebound, and they play tough defense. They are kind of an "old school" team and not many teams are used to playing against that style.

Ice009
11-21-2012, 03:49 AM

I still can't get over Shaq shooting 60% + for the series, and Kobe just kept jacking up shots again Prince and missing quite a lot of them. He just didn't really want to pass the ball to Shaq. Karl Malone injury hurt them a lot too.

Anyway, I think the Grizzles are a pretty tough team. They play tough and hard, that is the kind of game that I like. I don't like soft play.

Ice009
11-21-2012, 03:51 AM

Tought call, but I would go with the Spurs in that series. Detroit would have had to shock us like they shocked the Lakers.

Clipper Nation
11-21-2012, 11:35 AM
They're not nearly as tough as advertised, tbh.... they're coddled by the refs and their bigs flop, tbh......

thunderfan
11-21-2012, 11:51 AM
They're not nearly as tough as advertised, tbh.... they're coddled by the refs and their bigs flop, tbh......

You, as a Clipper fan, are bringing up another team and flopping??!!

Clipper Nation
11-21-2012, 12:07 PM
You, as a Clipper fan, are bringing up another team and flopping??!!
http://www.pistonpowered.com/2012/11/oklahoma-citys-kevin-martin-warned-by-nba-for-flop-against-pistons/

thunderfan
11-21-2012, 01:24 PM
http://www.pistonpowered.com/2012/11/oklahoma-citys-kevin-martin-warned-by-nba-for-flop-against-pistons/

Dude, I'm not calling the Clippers floppers based on one incident (as you've mentioned above). I'm talking a consistent history of absolute blatant flopping by Clipper players. I'm not suggesting ANY team is without players who flop, but the Clippers are so far in first place with ridiculous flopping, it's not even close.

Clipper Nation
11-21-2012, 02:06 PM
http://www.outsidetheboxscoreblog.com/2012/06/shane-battier-and-russell-westbook-pull.html?m=1

thunderfan
11-21-2012, 02:18 PM
http://www.outsidetheboxscoreblog.com/2012/06/shane-battier-and-russell-westbook-pull.html?m=1

I'm talking a consistent history of absolute blatant flopping by Clipper players. I'm not suggesting ANY team is without players who flop, but the Clippers are so far in first place with ridiculous flopping, it's not even close.

thunderfan
11-21-2012, 02:22 PM
I could also sit here all day and find flopping videos on youtube. What's the point? There's no denying the Clippers are the biggest flopping team in the league.

Clipper Nation
11-21-2012, 02:26 PM
:cry

thunderfan
11-21-2012, 02:49 PM
Don't be a moron. I can appreciate the talent LAC has, I just hate the flopping and you know they do it. I hate flopping from anyone, so I'm glad to see the refs are doing a better job of letting things go this season...at least that's what I'm seeing. I don't know if the warnings and fines will solve the issue, but its a step in the right direction.

Reck
12-26-2012, 10:55 PM
Grizz just got curb stomped by Philly again tonight. That makes two straight ass whopping by pretender teams.

This team has been stumbling the past month.

Clipper Nation
12-27-2012, 01:53 AM
Not having a superstar pretty much lowers their expectations as far as playoffs are concerned, and they're not as deep as advertised... I have to believe they'll cool off eventually...

Right about dem Grizz...

Brunodf
12-27-2012, 02:03 AM
Unless they ship Rudy Gay, they are not contenders.

midnightpulp
12-27-2012, 02:05 AM
Like I've been saying all year, Grizzlies are antiquated. That grind-it-out shit no longer works in the NBA. Today's game is all about spacing, spacing, spacing, and the Grizzlies are still rocking a twin-tower configuration straight out of 2005. Sadly, with all the rule changes and what not, games (and championships) are no longer won in the post.

racm
12-27-2012, 02:16 AM
Grizz just got curb stomped by Philly again tonight. That makes two straight ass whopping by pretender teams.

This team has been stumbling the past month.

Got exposed once they started playing road games, tbh.