PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs vs. Nuggets - Nov. 17, 2012

timvp
11-18-2012, 06:12 PM
The Nuggets came to town on Saturday and left with their tails between their legs. The Spurs, undoubtedly still fuming following the collapse against the Knicks, jumped out to a lead early on and coasted to a 126-100 victory.

With approximately four minutes left in the first quarter, the Spurs were up 16-13. That’s when San Antonio decided to drop the hammer. A 22-2 run put the Nuggets out of their misery. Denver never seriously challenged the Spurs again.

http://www.spurstalk.com/box101.png

http://www.spurstalk.com/box102.png
http://www.spurstalk.com/box103.png

---------------
Tim Duncan
http://www.spurstalk.com/td12.png
Denver is chock-full of quality bigmen. Tim Duncan didn’t care. The St. Croix native kept cruising on his way to yet another dominant performance. Offensively, he was efficient and had virtually no wasted movements. It’s like he’s playing a step ahead of everyone right now. Defensively, he was even better. His transition D and his protection of the rim were excellent. On the season, Duncan is averaging 2.8 blocks per game -- a number he has matched only one other time in his career. His rebounding, especially in traffic, was very good against the Nuggets. This continues to be a special start to Duncan’s 2012-13 campaign. There aren’t more than a couple players in the NBA performing at a higher level right now than the 36-year-old legend.
Final Grade: 94
Season Average: 91.5
Adj. Average: 92.1
---------------
Manu Ginobili
http://www.spurstalk.com/mg12.png
Is Manu Ginobili back? It sure looked like it on Saturday night. Coming into this game, Ginobili was 4-for-26 on three-pointers on the season. Against the Nuggets, he was 5-for-7 from deep. His shooting touch wasn’t the only aspect of his skillset that returned. From his timing on pick-and-rolls to the touch on his passes, everything seemed to take a step forward. Ginobili has always been a confident-reliant player, so this type of outing should do wonders for his forthcoming performances. Even more important than his production was the fact that he looked markedly healthier. His posture was better, his movements were quicker, his elevation was improved and he didn’t seem labored running up and down the court. Maybe it’s too early to say that Ginobili has definitely put his struggles behind him but I do suspect this was a turning point. Now it’s just a matter of staying healthy.
Final Grade: 94
Season Average: 80.4
Adj. Average: 80.0
---------------
Tony Parker
http://www.spurstalk.com/tp12.png
Tony Parker had an encouraging bounce-back performance. Defensively, he was vastly improved. He made Ty Lawson work for every inch of daylight when the Nuggets attempted to run halfcourt sets. On the other end, Parker sliced and diced the Nuggets with his ability to get to the basket. His aggression was very good -- if anything, he was too aggressive at times. His passing, playmaking and ability to take care of the ball remain at elite levels. In his last three games, he has 25 assists and only two turnovers. On the season, he’s averaging a career-high in assists and a career-low in turnovers. Considering that he’s still rounding into regular season shape, that’s quite an astounding feat.
Final Grade: 89
Season Average: 84.9
Adj. Average: 86.0
---------------
Danny Green
http://www.spurstalk.com/dg12.png
When Danny Green plays with the type of ferocity he displayed on Saturday night, he’s a tremendously valuable asset. Defensively, he guarded his man really well and was constantly swooping in form the weakside to disrupt Denver’s offensive flow. He has the tools to be a very good defender and flashed that potential in this game. On the other end of the court, Green had perfect shot selection and the form on his jumper looked fantastic. When he uses his legs and holds his follow-through, he’s especially deadly.
Final Grade: 96
Season Average: 84.5
Adj. Average: 84.6
---------------
Stephen Jackson
http://www.spurstalk.com/sj12.png
Kawhi Leonard is going to miss the next two weeks as he tends to a quadriceps injury. Enter Stephen Jackson. In his first start of the season, Jackson showed off a well-rounded game. Defensively, he was stout individually and offered timely, physical help-defense. Rebounding-wise, he was really good once again. He has 20 rebounds in his last two games and for the season his rebounding rate is higher than at any point in his career. On offense, Jackson didn’t shoot well but helped in a few areas. He made strong drives to the hoop and his passing was outstanding. He had four turnovers, although most of those miscues were due to him trying to be too unselfish.
Final Grade: 88
Season Average: 85.8
Adj. Average: 86.1
---------------
DeJuan Blair
http://www.spurstalk.com/db12.png
This is the type of performance that makes DeJuan Blair a meaningful member of the starting five. From the opening tip, the undersized bigman was throwing around his body while endlessly hustling and scraping in the paint. The Nuggets never fought back. Blair was able to control the battle near the basket early on -- and soon the game was over. This was definitely a breakthrough performance. In his first six games, Blair had six free throw attempts. Versus Denver, he had six free throw attempts in the first four and a half minutes. Defensively, I also thought he was a positive. His positioning was good, his attentiveness was consistent and no one was playing with more vigor. Overall, it was just an great effort from Blair.
Final Grade: 97
Season Average: 81.7
Adj. Average: 83.5
---------------
Boris Diaw
http://www.spurstalk.com/bd12.png
The hibernation is over. Boris Diaw decided to come ready to play against the Nuggets. After a three-game stint in which he was undetectable, the Frenchman was back to his typical tricks on Saturday evening. His fantastic passing was his most obvious positive, although he also did very good work on the defensive end and ran the court well in transition. Diaw could be even more aggressive offensively and rebound better … but I’m glad that he was able to halt his unsightly slide.
Final Grade: 88
Season Average: 80.0
Adj. Average: 82.3
---------------
Patrick Mills
http://www.spurstalk.com/pm12.png
With Gary Neal out injured with a sliced pointer finger on his shooting hand, Patrick Mills was the backup point guard once again. Unfortunately, he didn’t help himself much against the Nuggets. His shot selection was poor; he launched difficult long two-pointers multiple times for no apparent reason. Defensively, he had a few quality possessions but otherwise gave only token effort. Mills continues to flash intriguing attributes (most notably as a stand-still shooter and a pressure defender) but it’s a work in progress with regards to him sticking to his strengths and playing within the team concept.
Final Grade: 78
Season Average: 78.9
Adj. Average: 78.2
---------------
Tiago Splitter
http://www.spurstalk.com/ts12.png
It was another inconsistent outing from Tiago Splitter. To begin the game, he was underwhelming on both ends. However, by his final stints, Splitter was playing quite well. The difference in his play mostly has to do with his toughness. If he’s shying away from contact or otherwise being timid, he’s just not a helpful player offensively or defensively. On the other hand, when he imposes his will and throws caution to the wind, Splitter is damn good.
Final Grade: 84
Season Average: 80.4
Adj. Average: 81.3
---------------
Nando De Colo
http://www.spurstalk.com/ndc12.png
In his most playing time so far this season, Nando De Colo once again illustrated one thing beyond a shadow of a doubt: he’s a great passer. No matter if it’s a pick-and-roll, in transition or simply a broken play, De Colo’s vision is remarkable. The rest of his game, though, remains a mystery. He hasn’t shown much of an ability to score the ball and his defense remains a question mark. It’s going to take more playing time before the Spurs truly figure out what they have in this rookie.
Final Grade: 85
Season Average: 86.5
Adj. Average: 85.7
---------------
Matt Bonner
http://www.spurstalk.com/mb12.png
After getting two straight DNP-CDs, Matt Bonner got to play some garbage time versus the Nuggets. During his minutes, Bonner didn’t do anything to hurt himself in the eyes of the coaching staff. He buried a couple three-pointers and his defense wasn’t much worse than usual. It was just Matty being Matty.
Final Grade: Inc.
Season Average: 77.0
Adj. Average: 78.3
---------------
Pop
http://www.spurstalk.com/gp12.png
When the Spurs are drilling three-pointers and passing the rock like they were on Saturday, Pop has the easiest job in the arena. He basically just has to avoid getting in the way. Other than questionable second quarter lineups that featured none of the Big 3, I think he did just that.
Final Grade: 85
Season Average: 83.5
---------------
Offense
Now this is the type of offense Spurs fans grew to love last season. In addition to the marksmanship from beyond the arc, the sharing of the ball was excellent and turnovers were kept in check. The Spurs also got to the line a reasonable amount and did great work on the offensive boards.
Final Grade: 97
---------------
Defense
The final numbers look ugly but the stats are deceiving. The Nuggets did a majority of their damage after the game was already decided. Denver hit 17 of their final 30 shots from the field. Prior to that point, they were shooting 45.8%. Additionally, the Spurs were doing a great job on the defensive glass until the final one and a half quarters. That said, giving up 60 points in the second half -- even if it was garbage time -- is too much.
Final Grade: 83
Season Average: 83.1
---------------
Overall
The Spurs needed a win like this. Most of their victories this season have been nail biters. While entertaining, blowouts are a better indicator of future regular season success since luck is eliminated as a factor. Plus, the offense needed this sort of shot in the arm.
Final Grade: 91
---------------

Uriel
11-18-2012, 06:27 PM
The Spurs needed a win like this. Most of their victories this season have been nail biters. While entertaining, blowouts are a better indicator of future regular season success since luck is eliminated as a factor.

It's a good indicator of playoff success, too.

Manufan909
11-18-2012, 06:51 PM
Thanks timvp! I definitely want more of the Splitter who throws down putback dunks on McGee likes he's the white Tyson Chandler.

Bruno
11-18-2012, 06:55 PM
Nice, thanks timvp.

It was a performance quite similar to what Spurs did at the end of last regular season. It's great so see Spurs getting back their deadly offense .

A worrisome point of this start of the season is the defensive rebounding aspect. Last year, Spurs were best in the league at that. This year, they are 19th. If you want to put it on some players, you had to notice that Gary Neal is a better defensive rebounder than both Diaw and Splitter.

spurs10
11-18-2012, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the Game Thoughts! It was indeed nice to see a greater effort all around. It is true that Tiago plays better later in the game. when he's pissed off! I hope this is the kind of game we bring to the Clippers. Time for some revenge of our own!!

:ihit

Darius Bieber
11-18-2012, 07:49 PM
I wish every game presented a graph like this game.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Timmy is an absolute marvel this season - he looks like a 29yo! His D against the Nuggets (and all season for that matter) has been superb - he's back to the defensive form that made him a perennial All-Defensive team selection. And his offence is clever and well-measured. So much fun to watch!

Grizz's best game of the year by far - when he plays like that against quality opposition he makes the frontcourt look deep. Keep it up, Grizz!

And nice to see Manu finally unchain himself. He has been my biggest concern so far this season, but to see that he can still put out a masterclass is a relief. I fear he may have lost half a step, but this team is so deep and flexible that it only needs him to be good to succeed as a whole. I think the days of Manu carrying the team regularly are gone, but if he can show up like this from time to time, and play smart basketball the rest of the time, that should be enough to make a deep run this season.

Ice009
11-18-2012, 08:48 PM
Good to see the offense back.

Someone needs to teach Splitter the way of Ivan Drago. Splitter needs to walk out there with the attitude of "if he dies, he dies" ;). If Splitter starts playing with that attitude, it's over.

racm
11-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Timmy is an absolute marvel this season - he looks like a 29yo! His D against the Nuggets (and all season for that matter) has been superb - he's back to the defensive form that made him a perennial All-Defensive team selection. And his offence is clever and well-measured. So much fun to watch!

Grizz's best game of the year by far - when he plays like that against quality opposition he makes the frontcourt look deep. Keep it up, Grizz!

And nice to see Manu finally unchain himself. He has been my biggest concern so far this season, but to see that he can still put out a masterclass is a relief. I fear he may have lost half a step, but this team is so deep and flexible that it only needs him to be good to succeed as a whole. I think the days of Manu carrying the team regularly are gone, but if he can show up like this from time to time, and play smart basketball the rest of the time, that should be enough to make a deep run this season.

Manu needs to stay healthy and he's a big game performer, really.

CGD
11-18-2012, 10:39 PM
Sorry if I missed the explanation already, but could you explain the adjusted season average methodology? Is that in the event of blow outs?

therealtruth
11-18-2012, 11:47 PM
We could have used that Dejuan Blair against OKC in the WCF. I think Blair's aggressiveness worked for us in the regular season against them last year. Pop's idea was Bonner would be able to draw a big from the paint but it would have been more useful to unlease DB on them to put them on their heels.

Splits
11-19-2012, 02:50 AM
Sorry if I missed the explanation already, but could you explain the adjusted season average methodology? Is that in the event of blow outs?

It's weighted for minutes played, so a 90 playing 30 minutes is worth more than a 90 playing 15 minutes.

Splits
11-19-2012, 03:00 AM
Coach B making a comeback... lookout.

Matt Bonner was back in the lineup against the Nuggets for the first time since making a two-minute cameo against the Trail Blazers on Nov. 10.He scored his first points since making one 3-pointer against the Clippers on Nov. 7, finishing with five points.

“It felt good to be back out there and good to make a three,” Bonner said. “I’ve made plenty in practice. I’ve been working hard to stay ready.”

Bonner quietly announced the return of his popular “Coach B” video feature on Spurs.com. He finished taping another episode of the quirky basketball instruction series and said it is likely to debut on the website this week.

Asked what to expect of the season debut, he said it would be “total chaos.”

[email protected]

Twitter: @Monroe_SA

milkyway21
11-19-2012, 04:53 AM
:wow with the chart, then the player's individual grading, plus the stat sheets - practically everything you want to know about the game-who is hot (and NOT), it's all there :tu

polandprzem
11-19-2012, 05:05 AM
The Spurs needed a win like this. Most of their victories this season have been nail biters. While entertaining, blowouts are a better indicator of future regular season success since luck is eliminated as a factor.

Execution in crunch is not a luck

polandprzem
11-19-2012, 05:06 AM
B4 the game I was thinking.
Well we had no blowouts this season wtf? And then the spurs delivered.

Good to have games like this.

racm
11-19-2012, 05:47 AM
B4 the game I was thinking.
Well we had no blowouts this season wtf? And then the spurs delivered.

Good to have games like this.

The Spurs were blowing out Utah until they decided it was a game in the 3rd and they beat up Indiana by 22.

polandprzem
11-19-2012, 07:08 AM
Ahhh damn :(

I was more thinking about the feeling of being more superior then the opponent.

Anyway, soon it will be good test for the spurs on the road.
I would like to see some power that could give me maybe a bit of hope the spurs can beat the best.