PDA

View Full Version : LA Riots - 1992

TE
11-19-2012, 01:41 AM
Recently saw a documentary on this. Any of you all old enough to remember this event? Did anyone live in LA during these times? Just curious...

TE
11-19-2012, 01:45 AM
btw, are things still as bad as they were back in the day? How's south central (those of you who live there)?

baseline bum
11-19-2012, 02:48 AM
One of my friends from the area was telling me about a bunch of Crips who took over a gas station and gave everyone free gas, lol. Another one went into his friend's liquor store to grab a beer and the friend threw him a shotgun and told him to get on the roof (he declined).

Wild Cobra
11-19-2012, 03:34 AM
I remember it, I was in my 30's. That was a real riot. Those trying to claim this 2012 'Ol Miss thing as a riot are absolutely delusional.

DeadlyDynasty
11-19-2012, 09:03 AM
I remember Reginald Denny getting a brick upside the head

lefty
11-19-2012, 09:56 AM
lol calling the national guard for that shit

pussies

FYM
11-19-2012, 10:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6IQxhkVIEw&feature=player_detailpage

CuckingFunt
11-19-2012, 10:28 AM
I was finishing my last semester of middle school during the riots and I remember them very well.

I lived in Altadena at the time, and went to school in Pasadena, so I was geographically removed from the worst of it, but Rodney King grew up just about a half mile from where I lived at the time, so there were a lot of people in my neighborhood who knew him personally and kept trying to get shit started. As a result, there was a HUGE police (and eventually National Guard) presence in my neighborhood. There was a little Korean-owned grocery store across the street from my house that the Crips tried unsuccessfully to burn down. And the liquor store and a couple of other little businesses across the street on the other side were vandalized and looted, but still got off pretty easy because they were black-owned. But, really, most of it was happening several miles away, so even though it was close it was still something that I watched on the news and exchanged stories about, more than something that I really lived through.

I think the place I really felt it the most was at school, actually. My school was predominantly black and Hispanic, so a lot of the white kids were kept home until things calmed down. Same with the Asian kids, since the riots that started due to anger at white cops pretty quickly turned back into the black vs. Korean thing that was always an issue in LA. And then add to that the number of students who weren't at school because they either wanted to be a part of what was happening downtown or because they saw the distraction as an excuse to just stay home, and my school was like a ghost town for a solid week and a half. There was a very small student presence, but a ton of National Guard on campus. I still don't know why they were necessary. But it was somewhat oppressive. And they were constantly following my friends and I around, probably because I was the lone white girl hanging out with a big group of black girls.

CuckingFunt
11-19-2012, 10:31 AM
I remember Reginald Denny getting a brick upside the head

Reginald Dent-y, per a family friend.

silverblk mystix
11-19-2012, 11:09 AM
I remember it well.
I lived in a tiny Hollywood apt and I could see a big chunk of L.A. if I peeked out my window. I remember the smoke covering the koreatown area, the south central area and south downtown l.a. areas. There were plumes of smoke similar to when a large piece of land is on fire and the sky gets greyish and ash starts to cover the cars-except there was no ash - just smoke and a hazy sky.

I remember being riveted to CNN all day and then realizing I had no food for the night and I was off from work so I would have to run to the boulevard and pick up something (I didn't cook and my little shit-hole apt had no kitchen lol) to eat. I walked a couple of blocks to Hollywood blvd and as I approached I could see people running and carrying shit. My stomach sank to the ground as I realized they were looting every store, every restaurant, every business. I was sickened even further when I realized it was mainly black and latinos and they even had their kids helping them carry tv's, food, furniture, auto parts,etc...

I turned around and went home and wasn't hungry anymore.

I also had a Honduran girl that lived right in So Central - her family had a house in there and I couldn't go pick her up because no one knew at that moment (because of Reginald Denny getting severely beaten) if it was even safe to drive in to So. central. All I had at the time was a motorcycle and I would have done it - but I would have had to put her in danger on the way back or else we would have had to bring her car and risk her car getting destroyed. In the end she convinced me she was ok inside her house and stayed put.

I ended up playing guitar all night and writing some good shit.

DeadlyDynasty
01-29-2013, 06:37 PM
I'm watching the doc right now...gotta hand it to the picklebreaths for bringing out the arsenal. They were loaded for bear.

FkLA
01-29-2013, 07:11 PM
I remember hearing that picklebreaths were(maybe still are?) required to serve in the military in the Koreas. Probably why they didnt seem fazed, pretty alpha though tbh especially the old guy in uniform at the end. Dudes just walking around daring someone to try and fuck with his store.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgCiC6qTtjs

symple19
01-29-2013, 08:39 PM
I remember hearing that picklebreaths were(maybe still are?) required to serve in the military in the Koreas. Probably why they didnt seem fazed, pretty alpha though tbh especially the old guy in uniform at the end. Dudes just walking around daring someone to try and fuck with his store.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgCiC6qTtjs

You are partially correct. All males with a very few exceptions are required to either serve in the Army or the national police. Their cops have huge (some in the thousands) QRF teams that respond to riots and large protests. I was there in an election year and had to pull perimeter security on a base that they had decided to hold an anti-US protest at. Many of the police carry these big ass sticks with some sort of spring mechanism in the base that they use to beat people who get out of line. It was fun watching them regulate motherfuckers with extreme prejudice. Their Army being hardass goes without saying.

Moral of the story? Don't fuck with Koreans. Basically any male you encounter (who grew up there) has relevant ass kicking experience.

lefty
01-29-2013, 08:41 PM
Damn they had to call the national guard :lol

slayermin
01-30-2013, 02:41 AM
I had family that went through that shit. But they made it through ok and prospered. Now they live in Fullerton and Torrance.

Fabbs
01-30-2013, 08:19 AM
Kent Brockman :lol

TDMVPDPOY
01-30-2013, 09:33 AM
how come most american riots...show black americans looting?

Sportcamper
01-30-2013, 08:26 PM
If you want a more insightful version of the events check out Rush Limbaugh’s the way things ought to be…The LA riots were orchestrated by the AME Church of LA, Mayor Tom Bradley & Representative Maxine Waters…

LAPD was virtually defenseless…Deputy Chief Robert Vernon put on forced religious retirement by Mark Ridely Thomas, Rita Walters and Zev Yaroslavsky…Los Angeles has been a cess pool of corrupt politicians for decades…No wonder why they want to disarm the honest populace…

Sportcamper
01-30-2013, 08:29 PM
One of the tragic events were the two white girls from the Valley who went to City Hall to show their support for the hood on day one…(Yea we agree with your cause)...They were both killed that night…