PDA

View Full Version : Spurs attempting to get Anderson Varejao?

ThaBigFundamental21
11-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Not sure if this has been reported on Spurstalk, or if this will even materialize. But Mark Travis (wrote a few nice Spurs pieces) claims he has a "hunch" the Spurs will get Anderson Varejao. He posted it on his twitter and facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/ButTheGameIsOn

xellos88330
11-19-2012, 07:13 PM
That would be a welcome addition, but I seriously don't think it has a chance of happening.

Paranoid Pop
11-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Won't happen.

TD 21
11-19-2012, 07:39 PM
I think they will too. Right now, it may seem far fetched because Varejao is playing out of his mind and Splitter is struggling mightily, but give this a few months. Law of averages will kick in, Varejao will have another injury scare and they'll realize that they need to sell high on him.

Splitter, Blair, Bonner and Mills for Varejao and Leuer, makes sense on so many levels. They'd get a center who's three years younger, has far less mileage and is in the mold of who they should have used the 4th pick in '11 on (and were supposedly extremely high on), Valanciunas. They'd get a significant upgrade at backup point guard and improve their fourth and fifth big spots. It may not sound that great, but they've got the 2nd worst bench in the league.

The other thing is, who'd beat that? The Celtics and Timberwolves will probably strongly pursue him, but the Celtics don't have the pieces to pull it off. The Timberwolves do (Williams, Ridnour, Stiemsma), so long as the Cavs view Williams as a full time SF (faulty thinking, but a distinct possibility) and aren't overly discouraged by his underwhelming start to his career.

Paranoid Pop
11-19-2012, 07:56 PM
I think they will too. Right now, it may seem far fetched because Varejao is playing out of his mind and Splitter is struggling mightily, but give this a few months. Law of averages will kick in, Varejao will have another injury scare and they'll realize that they need to sell high on him.

Splitter, Blair, Bonner and Mills for Varejao and Leuer, makes sense on so many levels. They'd get a center who's three years younger, has far less mileage and is in the mold of who they should have used the 4th pick in '11 on (and were supposedly extremely high on), Valanciunas. They'd get a significant upgrade at backup point guard and improve their fourth and fifth big spots. It may not sound that great, but they've got the 2nd worst bench in the league.

The other thing is, who'd beat that? The Celtics and Timberwolves will probably strongly pursue him, but the Celtics don't have the pieces to pull it off. The Timberwolves do (Williams, Ridnour, Stiemsma), so long as the Cavs view Williams as a full time SF (faulty thinking, but a distinct possibility) and aren't overly discouraged by his underwhelming start to his career.

No it doesn't. Why would they take our scrubs for Varejao? That's the 4 worst players on the roster for a guy playing out of his mind, don't see it happening. They will ask for young talent and draft picks. Celtics would probably have to send Bradley, we'd probably have to send Kawhi... They won't trade him if they can't get something worth it.

racm
11-19-2012, 08:10 PM
The Cavs need a bench are and tanking this season anyway (Kyrie's out for four weeks).

The Spurs can afford to move their fringe roster players.

SenorSpur
11-19-2012, 08:12 PM
I read a short piece on Hoopshype just today, where the Cavs indicated the only conditions upon which they would consider dealing Varejao would have include nothing less than a bonafide young player and some first round draft picks in return. If this is true, and of course the Cavs are probably looking to sell high based upon how he's been playing lately, those coniditions would likely take the Spurs out of the running.

racm
11-19-2012, 08:12 PM
I read a short piece on Hoopshype just today, where the Cavs indicated the only conditions upon which they would consider dealing Varejao would have include nothing less than a bonafide young player and some first round draft picks in return.

In other words an OKC type package.

SenorSpur
11-19-2012, 08:16 PM
In other words an OKC type package.

Something probably close to that. With Varejao playing on a mad level these past few games, it's hard to argue against their asking price.

Right now, the Cavs really have no incentive to trade the big Brazilian center.

Of course, this will be worth following up to the Feb trade deadline. That's usually when deals get done.

txstr1986
11-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Too good to be true.

SenorSpur
11-19-2012, 08:18 PM
It is too good to be true and that's probably why it will not happen.

Kidd K
11-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Who is Mark Travis exactly, and how is he credible?

I'm not seeing us getting him for just our cast offs either. Varejao is solid and gets paid under 10m a year, and is locked up for 2 years AFTER this one. His average salary is about 9m a year. Why would the Cavs dump that reasonable salary and solid production for basically nothing but guys they could get in free agency in the offseason?

I find it hard to believe. I don't think they want to trade Varejao that badly. If they trade him, it's likely ONLY going to be for a lottery pick + fillers. We don't have that. So unless there's some kinda 3 team deal (where we still don't really have enough assets to make the deal seem fair), pretty positive we aren't getting Varejao sadly.

Paranoid Pop
11-19-2012, 08:29 PM
Imagine the Clips send Bledsoe+filler(Odom?) for Varejao...

Clipper Nation
11-19-2012, 08:32 PM
Imagine the Clips send Bledsoe+filler(Odom?) for Varejao...

I'm pretty sure the Clippers said Bledsoe was off limits for at least this year, tbh.... I wouldn't be surprised if we trade Odom if he doesn't get his shit in gear, though...

11-19-2012, 08:33 PM
could happen if splitter starts playing better and varejao comes back down to earth. of course by that time, no one on this board will want to do the trade.

Paranoid Pop
11-19-2012, 08:36 PM
I'm pretty sure the Clippers said Bledsoe was off limits for at least this year, tbh.... I wouldn't be surprised if we trade Odom if he doesn't get his shit in gear, though...

I probably woudn't do it if I was the Clips but if they want to win now it's an intriguing move.

PingPong
11-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Splitter, Blair, Bonner and Mills for Varejao and Leuer, makes sense on so many levels.

Good joke..

:lol:lol

timvp
11-19-2012, 08:39 PM
The Cavs aren't going to trade Varejao for (perceived) spare parts. If they were going to do that, it would have been last year when they were in full rebuild mode. Byron Scott loves him and Dan Gilbert is delusional enough to think that Cleveland's rebuilding is almost over. Varejao has a reasonable contract, which is even more of a reason why the Cavs aren't going to trade him unless they can flip him for a "star".

Plus, I'm not sure how interested the Spurs are in Varejao. He's not a great fit offensively -- and in the past the Spurs have shied away from him because they didn't think he was committed enough to a team concept. I doubt they've seen any reason to do a complete 180 on him.

Varejao to S.A. is just not going to happen.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Varejao for Splitter, Bonner and filler is the trade I've been advocating for a while, and I think it would catapult us into strong contention. Doubt it will happen though.

The other guy I'd be looking closely at is Ilyasova - he's been lost in that over-crowded big rotation in Milwuakee, so maybe we could prise him away for Bonner and filler if Bucks think they overpaid him? Once again unlikely, but I'd be exploring it.

DAF86
11-19-2012, 09:52 PM
Trading Splitter for Varejao would only make us slightly better, I really don't see the point on trading Splitter + fillers and draft picks to get Varejao. We need to get a decent big without trading away Duncan, Diaw or Splitter.

spurraider21
11-19-2012, 10:49 PM
I love how every trade thread on this site packages Blair and bonnet. As if teams would take them together

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-19-2012, 10:49 PM
Trading Splitter for Varejao would only make us slightly better, I really don't see the point on trading Splitter + fillers and draft picks to get Varejao. We need to get a decent big without trading away Duncan, Diaw or Splitter.

To trade for Varejao Splitter has to be the one to go since they're both true Cs. Bonner makes up the salary. If we have to throw in another piece or two, so be it. Varejao is an excellent defender and much better rebounder than Splitter, and his O isn't much worse. He even has a fairly decent 15fter. I think it would be a no-brainer.

swaggerjackson
11-19-2012, 11:25 PM
I don't know how I feel about Varejao. He would certainly add some toughness up front, hustle, and defense. But I think he would turn it an offensive liability to be honest. He can't really stretch the floor, he doesn't have a post up game to speak of, and he is not an extremely smart offensive player. For all the faults the Spurs big guys have (excluding Duncan of course) they are atleast reasonably intelligent on offense. Diaw despite being passive is a phenominial passer and essentially has his PhD in basketball. Splitter sets good screens and knows how to roll to the bucket, as does Blair. And Bonner knows spacing and does not play outside of his game. I am not sure how Varejao would fit on a roster that relies so heavily on solid communication and teamwork. It is not that he is a selfish player, but to be on the Spurs you need to be another cog in the machine. Varejao is more of a sparkplug and I think he would have trouble contributing consistently. It would be a risky move to make and I think the Spurs would only pull the trigger if our season was headed downhill fast.

Sean Cagney
11-19-2012, 11:34 PM
It is too good to be true and that's probably why it will not happen.

It won't happen you guys are correct.

TD 21
11-19-2012, 11:54 PM
You know what? I WAS WRONG. It doesn't "make sense on so many levels", it makes sense on the Spurs part and that's it. Sure, those three would improve their bench, but you don't give up a player of Varejao's value to improve spots 8-10 and Splitter is just not intriguing enough to offset that.

jimo2305
11-20-2012, 12:01 AM
it's the nba people.. the trade override feature is off (except for when the lakers are involved)

timvp
11-20-2012, 12:03 AM
You know what? I WAS WRONG.

http://dailyelements.com/popserious.jpg

Russo21
11-20-2012, 12:06 AM
Andy Verejao? Gimme Gimme Gimme !!!

spectator
11-20-2012, 12:07 AM
Irving is out for a month: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8654173/kyrie-irving-cleveland-cavaliers-month-broken-finger

cavs season is over - even more of a reason to trade for varejao; tank now and get a great pick for next season

Russo21
11-20-2012, 12:12 AM
^^ Cavs season was over before it began.

Obstructed_View
11-20-2012, 12:27 AM
It'd cost you Kawhi Leonard and at least one first rounder. Anyone for pulling the trigger on that?

TDMVPDPOY
11-20-2012, 12:32 AM
how about gortat?

Ice009
It'd cost you Kawhi Leonard and at least one first rounder. Anyone for pulling the trigger on that?

yes I am, as long as we also include anyone else over 6'7" and we get another 6'1" shooting guard back in the trade then I am all for it ;).

ElNono

It'll cost more than that... Andy is set to make $8.4 million this year... Bonner/Tiago would need to be included just for money reasons...

intlspurshk
11-20-2012, 05:02 AM
Cav can get at least a mid lottery pick for him.

spursnatic
11-20-2012, 07:38 AM
The only way I would even be open to him coming to the SPURS is that he shaves that ridiculous hair off...I can't stand seeing that nappy shit floating around in the paint..Kinda hard to watch him play because of it...Plus 4 players for him?...Fuck that..

Obstructed_View
11-20-2012, 06:33 PM
It'll cost more than that... Andy is set to make $8.4 million this year... Bonner/Tiago would need to be included just for money reasons...

They won't take Bonner back, so it's Splitter, Leonard, and Joseph, Neal or Blair. Probably wouldn't need to give up a pick for that, but I'm not positive that he suddenly makes the Spurs better, particularly when Pop brings him off the bench to spell Duncan.

DPG21920
11-20-2012, 06:35 PM
There is absolutely 0 chance the Spurs give up Kawhi for AV. So if you truly believe that is what it would take, then no point in discussing it.

Obstructed_View
11-20-2012, 06:36 PM
^what he said.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Of course you don't give up Kawhi.

Splitter makes sense for Cavs - superb pnr player, 3 years younger than Varejao. Splitter, Bonner (for salary) and a first rounder should be reasonably attractive for the Cavs. I'd at least put it out there.

Andy WOULD be a game-changer for us. As Zach Lowe pointed out the other day, we get killed on D and the boards any time Tim goes to the bench. With Andy, suddenly that doesn't happen. Not only that, but we could play a true Twin Towers lineup against the Fakers.

I think the FO should be looking to get this done, and if not they should be offering a similar package for Ilyasova who has been strangely lost in the Milwaukee rotation given that they just paid him a big salary.

DMC
11-20-2012, 09:50 PM
He'll go to LA along with Kyrie Irving for Steve Blake.

CGD
11-20-2012, 09:57 PM
I never understood the Varejao man crush by some ardent posters on Spurstalk.

Obstructed_View
11-21-2012, 03:11 PM
I don't know what defense is.

Small Fundamental
11-21-2012, 07:40 PM
yes I am, as long as we also include anyone else over 6'7" and we get another 6'1" shooting guard back in the trade then I am all for it ;).
WTF? You would actually trade Kawhi Leonard aka our future, for an aging Varejao?

Kidd K
11-21-2012, 09:55 PM

Varejao (including his contract of 9.1m/year over 3 years) is not worth Kawhi (2.8m a year over 4 years) and a first rounder. Kawhi alone, at his current level and contract, is worth more than Varejao.

I'd also argue that Kawhi's celing is higher than what Varejao's is (and Varejao's pretty much already reached it). But that part is a matter of opinion of course.

I definitely wouldn't make that trade if I was the Spurs' GM.

Ice009
11-21-2012, 11:35 PM
WTF? You would actually trade Kawhi Leonard aka our future, for an aging Varejao?

What the fuck.

Did me saying "as long as we also include anyone else over 6'7" and we get another 6'1" shooting guard back in the trade then I am all for it" not tell you that I wasn't serious about it.

Small Fundamental
11-21-2012, 11:50 PM
What the fuck.

Did me saying "as long as we also include anyone else over 6'7" and we get another 6'1" shooting guard back in the trade then I am all for it" not tell you that I wasn't serious about it.
No, it didn't. Still doesn't actually.

Just made me think you have no clue about basketball.

Ice009
11-22-2012, 12:44 AM
No, it didn't. Still doesn't actually.

Just made me think you have no clue about basketball.

Wow. we have to use blue text around here because some people just seem to take anything they read seriously.

Small Fundamental
11-22-2012, 03:15 AM
Wow. we have to use blue text around here because some people just seem to take anything they read seriously.
You didn't say anything that would imply that you were joking. Don't know why you're getting upset for your poorly written joke.

Ice009
11-22-2012, 07:28 AM
You didn't say anything that would imply that you were joking. Don't know why you're getting upset for your poorly written joke.

it wasn't even a joke. blue text means sarcastic, I was being sarcastic, not joking. I guess you weren't around when people were using the blue text. It was meant for people like you.

spurspokesman
11-22-2012, 08:22 AM
There is absolutely 0 chance the Spurs give up Kawhi for AV. So if you truly believe that is what it would take, then no point in discussing it.
This

spurspokesman
11-22-2012, 08:24 AM

This. Steve blake and a few bottles of wine to further pops collection.

tim210g
11-22-2012, 08:32 AM
Splitter blair and a first rounder ! Doit!

Spurs151
11-22-2012, 09:03 AM
Heard Dawson might be returning... Maybe just a rumor

timvp
11-22-2012, 11:15 AM
Heard Dawson might be returning... Maybe just a rumor

Returning to the Spurs or the Toros?

Poolboy5623
11-22-2012, 12:14 PM
Kawhi doesn't get traded for anyone short of a proven star in the league. He's the future of the spurs..and honestly I'd rather keep tiago and try to get someone else, that we dont have to give up a top 3 big of ours to obtain...if pop would just let splitter play through his mistakes(like he does ginobili), I think we'd all be better off..and I don't see how giving up the 2nd best big on the team for a guy just a bit better, is going to solve anything? I dont think this guy is the answer.

Spurs151
11-22-2012, 12:23 PM
Possibly the spurs, if not a few other NBA teams interested.
there are some trade whispers going on, which might clear up roster space

gee
11-22-2012, 04:45 PM
how about gortat?

Gortat is so much better than he's given credit for, would really like to seem him on the team

gee
11-22-2012, 04:47 PM

:rollin

ABC
11-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Possibly the spurs, if not a few other NBA teams interested.
there are some trade whispers going on, which might clear up roster space

Would a trade be soon (if it happens)? When would Dawson likely return to the NBA? No worries if that's all the info you have.

Spurs151
11-22-2012, 10:07 PM
Knowing the spurs it would be right before trade deadline. Don't know exactly who is being traded but heard it was more than one

RodNIc91
11-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Sh*t Spurs151 with the good inside info. :toast You heard anything else man? BTW welcome back its been a while since your last post.

Spurs151
11-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Yeah it's been a while, haven't had much to post about because I knew after the spurs released their players it was going to be the same team. This is the time moves are starting to be made

freetiago
11-22-2012, 11:04 PM
spurs should definitely trade leonard for AV if it was a possibility
its about winning now
within 2 years this team will be headed straight for the lottery and probably wont ever get a duncan/robinson esque player to lead them again

RodNIc91
11-22-2012, 11:10 PM
its about winning now
within 2 years this team will be headed straight for the lottery and probably wont ever get a duncan/robinson esque player to lead them again

Youre kiddin right? Leonard is a future cornerstone. Varejao is an elite role player at best. .

slick'81
11-22-2012, 11:40 PM
never gonna get him

capek
11-23-2012, 12:03 AM
If we could get him for a package of Bonner, Blair, and Joseph, I'd be for it. But that doesn't work salary-wise, and even if it did the Cavs would never go for that. So ya, ain't gonna happen.

TimmehC
11-23-2012, 12:39 AM
Probably have to have at least Splitter/Green or Diaw/Green in any package bringing back Varejao. Although they might accept a straight-up trade for Jack's expiring(especially if a pick is involved), since Varejao's got another guaranteed year left on his deal.

SplitterHook
11-23-2012, 09:18 AM
The Cavs aren't going to trade Varejao for (perceived) spare parts. If they were going to do that, it would have been last year when they were in full rebuild mode. Byron Scott loves him and Dan Gilbert is delusional enough to think that Cleveland's rebuilding is almost over. Varejao has a reasonable contract, which is even more of a reason why the Cavs aren't going to trade him unless they can flip him for a "star".

Plus, I'm not sure how interested the Spurs are in Varejao. He's not a great fit offensively -- and in the past the Spurs have shied away from him because they didn't think he was committed enough to a team concept. I doubt they've seen any reason to do a complete 180 on him.

Varejao to S.A. is just not going to happen.

What? :wow

pgardn
11-23-2012, 10:28 AM
Makes no sense for either team. The trade mentioned to begin with be a slight favor for us, no way Clev. does this. But even if it did happen, it would not help us much imo. KL and a first round draft choice does not help them significantly either. Take the extreme best scenarios for both teams and it is not a serious upgrade for either. Dont see it...

dunkman
11-23-2012, 01:09 PM
The Spurs will be better just adding K-Mart or Dice, then trading away any good players like Kawhi, Jack, Diaw or Splitter. Verejao isn't a player that's going to make the difference for the Spurs. If players like Splitter or Leonard get traded, it should be for an bonafide all-star.

Laredoart
11-27-2012, 06:56 AM
To me this would be a good trade to win a championship by next year. We all know that we not winning the finals this year, so lets get ready for the next year and the near future. I know some people want to keep Manu and Tony, but they have to go, I love them guys but we not going to get nothing done without a big man. The last player to win without a big scoring in the paint is Michael, every other team that won a championship after that had a big man scoring in the paint. So, we cant and we will not win a championship with TP as the man. So, there it is. I know this trade will not happend, but it could benefit for the involving all the teams.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

Laredoart
11-27-2012, 07:03 AM
The Cavs would benefit by clearing as much salary posible. Gortat didnt sign the new contract the Suns offer him, so they can still have Varejao in the paint. And the hard one on Love, but I think we have a chance trading Tony to them, even if they have Rubio, he can have a mentor with Tony, but we can put a package together to get Love to wear the Black N Silver.

Duncan2177
11-27-2012, 11:39 AM
The Cavs would benefit by clearing as much salary posible. Gortat didnt sign the new contract the Suns offer him, so they can still have Varejao in the paint. And the hard one on Love, but I think we have a chance trading Tony to them, even if they have Rubio, he can have a mentor with Tony, but we can put a package together to get Love to wear the Black N Silver.

:lmao

Laredoart
11-27-2012, 05:30 PM
You can at least explain your self.....

PÒÓCH
11-27-2012, 05:39 PM

How is Splitter struggling mightily? he's had some great games lately, he's making his free throws. He seems to be jelling with the offense. He almost registered a triple double last night. Please explain the "struggling mightily" part.

TD 21
11-27-2012, 06:52 PM
How is Splitter struggling mightily? he's had some great games lately, he's making his free throws. He seems to be jelling with the offense. He almost registered a triple double last night. Please explain the "struggling mightily" part.

That post was before the majority of those "great games".

Stabula
11-27-2012, 07:18 PM
How is Splitter struggling mightily? he's had some great games lately, he's making his free throws. He seems to be jelling with the offense. He almost registered a triple double last night. Please explain the "struggling mightily" part. It's hard to deny that both Diaw and Splitter have been struggling especially with rebounding. Yeah Diaw and Splitter will occasionally have a great game against a scrub team but the rub is that they lack consistency. If they can't consistently play well in the regular season what makes you think they will come playoff time? When Splitter and Diaw aren't having the occasional great game they really stink up the court with their passiveness, softness, and inability to rebound the damn ball.

ThaBigFundamental21
11-27-2012, 07:30 PM
The only way I would even be open to him coming to the SPURS is that he shaves that ridiculous hair off...I can't stand seeing that nappy shit floating around in the paint..Kinda hard to watch him play because of it...Plus 4 players for him?...Fuck that..

I'm kinda feelin what this guy is sayin. Lol.

Hoops Czar
11-27-2012, 07:34 PM
This thread just won't die.

DPG21920
11-27-2012, 08:50 PM
When did AV turn into Dwight Howard? The guy is putting up ridiculous numbers. This does not bode well for Tiago's price tag. By all accounts, Tiago is every bit if not more talented than AV and look what AV is doing being a focal point essentially (outside of Kyrie). Tiago is going to be pretty pricey this off season it looks like.

Sean Cagney
11-27-2012, 09:36 PM
its about winning now

LOL no way........

PingPong
11-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Youre kiddin right? Leonard is a future cornerstone. Varejao is an elite role player at best. .

Their second year and their rookie are already better than Kawhi Leonard. The only thing that KL should bring to the Cavs is defense. I wonder if the Cavs wants Kawhi...

ducks
11-27-2012, 10:01 PM
splitter must have heard this
he would rather play for spurs then cavs

tmtcsc
11-27-2012, 11:10 PM
Oh the shit's in his gears already.

PÒÓCH
11-28-2012, 02:29 AM
It's hard to deny that both Diaw and Splitter have been struggling especially with rebounding. Yeah Diaw and Splitter will occasionally have a great game against a scrub team but the rub is that they lack consistency. If they can't consistently play well in the regular season what makes you think they will come playoff time? When Splitter and Diaw aren't having the occasional great game they really stink up the court with their passiveness, softness, and inability to rebound the damn ball.

Consitancy is exactly what you get from both Diaw and Tiago, If you look at Splitters numbers his numbers are up in rebounding, blocks and assists for this year. As for Diaw some of the intangibles include his chemistry with the team, his basketball I.Q. and his versatility. Rebounding is not all that he does. As for passiveness and softness, do we need a guy thats aggressive ala Metta, Thomas Robinson? No thanks. Last I saw the Spurs have done well playing "soft", we had the king of soft in David Robinson and we seem to have done ok.

Laredoart
11-28-2012, 06:47 AM
Forget about AV, we need to get Gortat from the Suns, he didnt sign the extension he got offered. Put a nice packcage together, something like Jackson, Blair, Bonner, and Picks, I would think something like that can get it done, the Suns would need to throw another player for the salary to be right, but I think we can get it done. Gortat plays alot better than AV, and he has been underated, he used to be over shadow by Howard at Orlando, and thats the reason alot of people dont know how good he really is. I believe the FO needs to give us the fans something to believe this team is going to do something, cause right now, we know we not winning the title, now, we gonna have a very good season, like we always do, but we not winning no championship....

Mel_13
11-28-2012, 06:56 AM
Forget about AV, we need to get Gortat from the Suns, he didnt sign the extension he got offered. Put a nice packcage together, something like Jackson, Blair, Bonner, and Picks, I would think something like that can get it done, the Suns would need to throw another player for the salary to be right, but I think we can get it done. Gortat plays alot better than AV, and he has been underated, he used to be over shadow by Howard at Orlando, and thats the reason alot of people dont know how good he really is. I believe the FO needs to give us the fans something to believe this team is going to do something, cause right now, we know we not winning the title, now, we gonna have a very good season, like we always do, but we not winning no championship....

The Suns have Gortat under a very reasonable contract until the end of the 2013-14 season. There is really no reason for them to consider trading him for the type of package that you suggest.

Laredoart
11-28-2012, 07:11 AM
The Suns have Gortat under a very reasonable contract until the end of the 2013-14 season. There is really no reason for them to consider trading him for the type of package that you suggest.

You right Mel, but if his not staying and the have the chance to trade him and to save some cap room with Jackson and Blair, then they can move on, is not like they have a chance winning a title while his there.

Mel_13
11-28-2012, 07:17 AM
You right Mel, but if his not staying and the have the chance to trade him and to save some cap room with Jackson and Blair, then they can move on, is not like they have a chance winning a title while his there.

They have plenty of time to sign him to an extension or a new contract. His refusal to take their extension now doesn't mean that he is committed to leaving Phoenix. They also have plenty of cap room going forward, so there is no need for them to do a salary dump. Finally, if they do reach a decision to place Gortat on the market, they'll be able to get substantially more than the sort of package you suggest from the Spurs.

Laredoart
11-28-2012, 07:39 AM
They have plenty of time to sign him to an extension or a new contract. His refusal to take their extension now doesn't mean that he is committed to leaving Phoenix. They also have plenty of cap room going forward, so there is no need for them to do a salary dump. Finally, if they do reach a decision to place Gortat on the market, they'll be able to get substantially more than the sort of package you suggest from the Spurs.
You got it, thanks for the class....