PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Jackson Finger Injury (Update: Out 4-to-6 weeks)

timvp
11-19-2012, 09:07 PM
Stephen Jackson hurt the pinkie on his right hand during the first quarter against the Clippers. He attempted to keep playing with the injury but eventually was forced to leave the court.

Doesn't look good :td

Being without Leonard and Jackson would be pretty darn tough. It'd make that upcoming six-game road trip much more difficult than it already is.

naico
11-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Kawhi out, Jax with his finger, Neal holding his finger, Manu holding his back..I don't like it one bit.

Mugen
11-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Jax's injury didn't look as bad but Delonte West had a compound fracture on his ring finger last season and missed bout 6 weeks....i don't think it's nearly as serious but just wanted to add some perspective.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Bloody hope it's not serious - Jax is playing superbly so far this season, doing everything the team needs him to and more.

It's amazing the way he has gone from being a low-volume scorer and somewhat disruptive influence on poor teams, back to the selfless balla he was for us back in 2003.

jeebus
11-19-2012, 09:33 PM
that fake trade of Jack for Mo Williams is looking pretty good now.

Sean Cagney
11-19-2012, 09:33 PM
This is just great, another injury.

Kool Bob Love
11-19-2012, 09:36 PM
4-6 weeks.......................FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUU

SanAntonioSpurs23
11-19-2012, 09:36 PM
4-6 weeks?!?!?!?! Fuck!!!!

phxspurfan
11-19-2012, 09:37 PM
sad face. Maybe Danny Green can play SF and Neal can play the 2

timvp
11-19-2012, 09:37 PM
4-to-6 week :pctoss

It'll be 2013 before we see him again.

Mugen
11-19-2012, 09:40 PM
Jax's injury didn't look as bad but Delonte West had a compound fracture on his ring finger last season and missed bout 6 weeks....i don't think it's nearly as serious but just wanted to add some perspective.

Fuck you.

loveforthegame
11-19-2012, 09:40 PM
Awful news. Damn. :td

DesignatedT
11-19-2012, 09:41 PM
Fuckkkkkkk

TE
What do we do now? That's the question

freetiago
well KL wont be gone that long and hell likely get more minutes which is a good thing
until then i see Green at SF and Neal at 2
mills becomes bench backup point
de colo becomes the 2 and gino becomes the 3

gonna get our ass bounded on the boards pretty bad on this road trip

RuffnReadyOzStyle
Dammit. :depressed

jeebus
Paging Wesley Witherspoon

TE
11-19-2012, 09:42 PM
Witherspoon?

BadOne
4-to-6 week :pctoss

It'll be 2013 before we see him again.

Damn.

ace3g
So Witherspoon or Wilkerson...

Spurs Brazil
11-19-2012, 09:43 PM
Stephen Jackson has a non-displaced fracture of the proximal phalanx of his right little finger. Rxpected to miss 4-6 weeks

timvp
So ................................. what do the Spurs do at SF?

I'm guessing they have to slide Green over to starting SF. Maybe start Neal at SG.

The easiest answer might be to start Manu next to Green and then have De Colo take some of Manu's old minutes off the bench.

Either way, this sucks. Horrible timing with that road trip coming up.

spurs1990
19th of November ...what a shit date

ajballer4
I'd love to see Witherspoon get called up. Green is not a 3 and it will become evident very quickly

Spurs Brazil
So Witherspoon or Wilkerson...

Spurs will have to sign one. They have 0 SF on the roster now. And we'll see James in 5 games

Mugen
11-19-2012, 09:44 PM
Green moves to the 3 and Neal starts. Prob rotate some 10 day contract SFs.

I shutter to think what LeBron/Gay/Durant are going to do to us in this stretch.

ginobilized
11-19-2012, 09:46 PM
Ouch!!! This really sucks.

Hopefully this doesn't interfere with his rapping career

Spurs Brazil
11-19-2012, 09:46 PM
Green moves to the 3 and Neal starts. Prob rotate some 10 day contract SFs.

I shutter to think what LeBron/Gay/Durant are going to do to us in this stretch.

I think 10 day contracts start only in January

justinandimcool
11-19-2012, 09:47 PM
probably broke it on purpose to promote his album, tbh

nbth

bthewigwam
11-19-2012, 09:47 PM
I know this doesn't make up for the deficiencies 100% but Kenyon is sill out thee. I know he can't guard the same guys but he offers toughness. Either way it obv sux.

Mugen
11-19-2012, 09:48 PM
I think 10 day contracts start only in January

Didn't know that, thanks for the info SB.

timvp
Signing Witherspoon has to be a real possibility right now.

Other vets who are free agents who could help out: Mickael Pietrus, Mo Evans, Gary Forbes, Ryan Gomes ... and our good friend James Anderson.

I've never been high on Pietrus but you can't beat the price now. Evans is prototypical fringe SF that won't kill your team. Forbes and Gomes have a bit of a higher ceiling. Anderson at least knows the plays.

Mugen
The minutes are going to be there for Nando. i hope he takes advantage of it.

BillMc
11-19-2012, 09:49 PM
The other thing is it will force us to play KL big minutes coming off an injury that could become chronic if he comes back too quickly or overworks before he's 100 percent. Spurs are always cautious, even overly cautious, but there will be a temptation to play soon. And as a young guy KL may feel he needs to "suck it up" and keep quiet if it starts bothering him again, when in the big picture he needs to do the exact opposite.

justinandimcool
11-19-2012, 09:51 PM
if Witherspoon plays amazing (HUGE if) it makes Jackson tradeable no? :stirpot:

Spurs Brazil
11-19-2012, 09:51 PM
I like Witherspoon and Evans

DesignatedT
11-19-2012, 09:52 PM
Wouldn't mind seeing James Anderson being brought in. Knows the system and could play a few good minutes off the bench.

crc21209
11-19-2012, 09:52 PM
Fuck. I'm going to the Spurs-Rockets game on December 28th (39 days from now). I hope Jack is back by then. That would be 5 weeks and 4 days...

Mugen
11-19-2012, 09:54 PM
On the upside, Spurs are well versed in dealing with key injuries. Manu's broken hand seemed like a death-knell last season and ended up being a blessing in disguise.

Pietrus is the best of the bunch IMO but i'd prefer more minutes for Nando with Green/Kawhi/Ginobili holding down the SF spot.

timvp
11-19-2012, 09:55 PM
Thankfully, there are a lot of cheap swingman vets on the market. If the Spurs need one to soak up some minutes, they have options.

Pietrus is pretty damn bad (and dumb) but he can shoot threes and play D. I know a lot of Spurs fans considered him the second coming not that long ago, so he'd be a popular signing.

Anderson is pretty intriguing. He pretty much sucks but he'd be seamless. Evans lives in San Antonio and plays with the other Spurs in the offseason, so he'd be able to step right in. And then there is Witherspoon who looked capable in preseason.

Hmm.

Uriel
11-19-2012, 09:55 PM
Son of a bitch.

timvp
11-19-2012, 09:56 PM
Pop goes with:

PG TP
SG Neal
SF Green
PF Blair
C Duncan

.. to start the second half. Pretty damn small ... but they don't have much of a choice.

TE
11-19-2012, 10:00 PM

ace3g
11-19-2012, 10:01 PM
forgot about Pietrus, always been a fan; another name going around is Derrick Brown

Pietrus
Witherspoon
Brown
Wilkerson

That would be my order

Spur|n|Austin
11-19-2012, 10:01 PM
I would imagine Witherspoon as he somewhat knows the offense; this blows..

TD 21
11-19-2012, 10:08 PM
You forgot about Richardson. Not that I think they'll go with him or Pietrus, because those are the types you sign for the remainder of the season and I don't see them doing that. Gomes' best position is probably as a small ball PF, Forbes is all O, no D and Evans is undersized and probably washed up. I think they'll go with either Anderson or Witherspoon.

They got what they deserved. Hopefully one of these years they figure out that you need to be at least three deep at every position and stop trying to get away with a lack of depth at the same positions year in, year out.

timvp
11-19-2012, 10:19 PM
:lol @ Q Rich being an NBA player

:lol @ Spurs got what they deserved

TD 21
11-19-2012, 10:21 PM
:lol @ Q Rich being an NBA player

:lol @ Spurs got what they deserved

He's no less of one than the vast majority you mentioned, genius. I'm not saying he necessarily deserves to be signed for the remainder of the season, but if he signs anywhere, he will be (look no further than Howard).

The Spurs definitely got what they deserved. They played with fire and they got burned.

ace3g
11-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Spurs actually had depth at SF up until now...

timvp
11-19-2012, 10:27 PM
Yes, because on paper Kawhi and Jack weren't enough depth at SF. Need three starters per position, not two.

Wow :rolleyes

TD 21
11-19-2012, 10:37 PM
Yes, because on paper Kawhi and Jack weren't enough depth at SF. Need three starters per position, not two.

Wow :rolleyes

They're quality, not quantity.

They needed a third SF (and C, for that matter) and instead prioritized having a 7th guard. It was a stupid decision and it's already come back to bite them.

timvp
11-19-2012, 10:45 PM
Stephen Jackson deserved to break his finger because San Antonio's third small forward is Danny Green. Great take.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-19-2012, 10:46 PM
I think the FO sees Green as the 3rd string SF.

TD 21
11-19-2012, 10:52 PM
Stephen Jackson deserved to break his finger because San Antonio's third small forward is Danny Green. Great take.

:lol Lacking basic reading comprehension. I didn't say "Jackson got what he deserved", I said the Spurs (as in, the front office/ownership) got what they deserved for being short sighted/stupid/cheap.

Oh and :lol for saying you wouldn't trade Bonner for Jordan.

11-19-2012, 11:04 PM
spurs rebounding rate is going to plummet without jackson and leonard.

Darius McCrary
11-19-2012, 11:06 PM
We got lucky as hell with injuries last year. Chickens always come home to roost. Hopefully he is ready for Dec 30th game against the Mavericks.

ElNono
11-19-2012, 11:14 PM
Brutal blow, tbh... especially now that we're going on the road...

3/4 of our toughness is out with a broken pinky...

jon123spurs
11-19-2012, 11:18 PM
Paul Garcia PS (@24writer) tweeted at 10:15 PM on Mon, Nov 19, 2012:
He also said the #Spurs will bring Cory Joseph back up from Austin to deal with Jack-Kawhi injuries

jon123spurs
11-19-2012, 11:20 PM
Paul Garcia PS (@24writer) tweeted at 10:15 PM on Mon, Nov 19, 2012:
He also said the #Spurs will bring Cory Joseph back up from Austin to deal with Jack-Kawhi injuries
Quote from pop

siraulo23
11-19-2012, 11:21 PM
kawhi gets back sooner than expected and plays heavy mins --> develops into star SF :downspin:

eDizzle20
11-19-2012, 11:29 PM
I would like to see the Spurs bring back Witherspoon. He looked pretty decent during the preseason and is an athletic 6'9". They will not be able to survive if they just ride out a rotation of Green-Ginobili-De Colo at the 3. The Spurs got killed on the boards in tonight's 2nd quarter, especially Matt Barnes.

LakerHater
11-19-2012, 11:31 PM
Derrick Brown

Libri
Joseph is going to be called up. Confirmed by Pop.

BatManu20
Well poop.

benefactor
11-19-2012, 11:32 PM
Micro ball here we come.

coco1983
11-19-2012, 11:35 PM
They better not rush Kawhi back. Not worth it.

TDMVPDPOY
11-19-2012, 11:55 PM
the pinky finger injury is bad compared to the other fingers cause its weak ass shit, i still cant clench a fist cause of the pinkie i dislocated at the first knuckle...

i got a friend who dislocated his pinky at the joint of the palm, he can bend it from the joint, but cant bend the next 2 knuckles....

hopefully jax will just wear a finger brace and can still play, i dont think playing defense and dribbling around would hurt his game that much to be out that many weeks

timvp
11-19-2012, 11:56 PM
The more I think about it, the less sense bringing in an outsider makes. Maybe Witherspoon or Anderson since they know the system, but that's about it.

Green and Ginobili can both play SF. They're small for the position but they can play it in a pinch.

And Cory Joseph could help. I think it's a good opportunity to play him at point guard since Mills, Neal and De Colo are all probably better suited for shooting guard right now -- for various reasons.

Bruno
11-19-2012, 11:56 PM
Well, it sucks.

Spurs should sign a SF. The two key points Spurs should focus about are:
First, the new player will be mainly needed for the next 7-10 days while Kawhi will be out. This player must be in game shape and able to join Spurs very quickly.
Second, Spurs biggest need for the 15th roster spot is another center. The player signed must be on a non-guaranteed contract to be cut before January when his contract became guaranteed.

A player like Pietrus might be the best player available but I'm against it because he hasn't played for months and he will not sign a non-guaranteed contract. A random SF who is ready to play for the next game and with a non-guaranteed contract is a better option.

Ice009
11-20-2012, 12:26 AM

what the fuck for? Joseph isn't a small forward. Spurs have no idea how to manage a roster. Just fill it with small guards and forget about SFs and bigs.

Spurs fucked up with all the guards, and I am calling them out for it. Piss poor roster management.

Most of us wanted another SF/PF and a PF/C type in the off season, yet the Spurs stupidly filled the roster with more short guards.

What a bunch of idiots. Great work RC Drunkford ;).

SouthTexasRancher
11-20-2012, 12:31 AM
What a bunch of sissified girlieboy wimps the Spurs have become. SJ hurts (breaks) his itty-bitty pinkie and he's out for a month or two. KL has a little boo-boo above his knee and he's on his death bed. Manu pulls a muscle in his back and now he's considered a member of the walking dead. GN gets a teeny tiny cut on his hand from his luggage and team doctors consider amputating half his body. Blah, blah, blah are the words of our wimpy little walking wounded. Hell, most of us get these little injuries all the time including major back, shoulder, knee operations from our days of organized sports and now as we grow older working to feed and clothe our families. What happened to the days of toughness where athletes would play on one leg while in a full length cast on the other leg or eyeballs hanging out of their socket, or arms broken so severly amputation would be considered an option. EVen today guys like Kobe can be on his death bed and he'll play no matter what and end up winning the game on a last second shot. When are our guys going to man up? Damn pussey-footing cry babies wearing the Silver & Black these days.

And another thing...if Pop thinks he's going to get another championship for Timmy with this lineup then he needs to give serious consideration to retiring to the back 40 of the wine country in Californicate, France, Italy or where ever the hell he gets his best wine today. The Texas Hill Country, maybe??? Oh well what the hell ... it is time to get some shuteye. I hate like hell walking out of the AT&T center when we lose. Time for our guys to grow some extra large nads!!!

Splits
11-20-2012, 12:33 AM
what the fuck for? Joseph isn't a small forward. Spurs have no idea how to manage a roster. Just fill it with small guards and forget about SFs and bigs.

Spurs fucked up with all the guards, and I am calling them out for it. Piss poor roster management.

Most of us wanted another SF/PF and a PF/C type in the off season, yet the Spurs stupidly filled the roster with more short guards.

What a bunch of idiots. Great work RC Drunkford ;).

They're bringing up CJ because he's the only other roster spot under contract in Austin. There's still a 15th spot if they want to look elsewhere, but a couple hours after a game is a pretty quick turnaround to be announcing terms.

ElNono
11-20-2012, 12:34 AM
What a bunch of sissified girlieboy wimps the Spurs have become. SJ hurts (breaks) his itty-bitty pinkie and he's out for a month or two. KL has a little boo-boo above his knee and he's on his death bed. Manu pulls a muscle in his back and now he's considered a member of the walking dead. GN gets a teeny tiny cut on his hand from his luggage and team doctors consider amputating half his body. Blah, blah, blah are the words of our wimpy little walking wounded. Hell, most of us get these little injuries all the time including major back, shoulder, knee operations from our days of organized sports and now as we grow older working to feed and clothe our families. What happened to the days of toughness where athletes would play on one leg while in a full length cast on the other leg or eyeballs hanging out of their socket, or arms broken so severly amputation would be considered an option. EVen today guys like Kobe can be on his death bed and he'll play no matter what and end up winning the game on a last second shot. When are our guys going to man up? Damn pussey-footing cry babies wearing the Silver & Black these days.

And another thing...if Pop thinks he's going to get another championship for Timmy with this lineup then he needs to give serious consideration to retiring to the back 40 of the wine country in Californicate, France, Italy or where ever the hell he gets his best wine today. The Texas Hill Country, maybe??? Oh well what the hell ... it is time to get some shuteye. I hate like hell walking out of the AT&T center when we lose. Time for our guys to grow some extra large nads!!!

Spurs off to a great start + playoffs on lock + November = time to take it easy with injuries. Big picture, folks.

Ice009
11-20-2012, 12:36 AM
They're bringing up CJ because he's the only other roster spot under contract in Austin. There's still a 15th spot if they want to look elsewhere, but a couple hours after a game is a pretty quick turnaround to be announcing terms.

It doesn't change the fact that the Spurs filled the roster with undersized guards and have created an imbalanced roster that now looks like it will screw us over. The two areas that we needed depth in, it seems that they completely ignored. Maybe they tried, but it just doesn't seem like it. Why didn't they at least keep Derek Brown around for depth purposes? They could have cut him at any time. Are they really that cheap?

LakerHater
11-20-2012, 12:40 AM
It doesn't change the fact that the Spurs filled the roster with undersized guards and have created an imbalanced roster that now looks like it will screw us over. The two areas that we needed depth in, it seems that they completely ignored. Maybe they tried, but it just doesn't seem like it. Why didn't they at least keep Derek Brown around for depth purposes? They could have cut him at any time. Are they really that cheap? Exactly!! He was thier last cut, I think his phone will ring!

racm
11-20-2012, 12:42 AM
It doesn't change the fact that the Spurs filled the roster with undersized guards and have created an imbalanced roster that now looks like it will screw us over. The two areas that we needed depth in, it seems that they completely ignored. Maybe they tried, but it just doesn't seem like it. Why didn't they at least keep Derek Brown around for depth purposes? They could have cut him at any time. Are they really that cheap?

If the Spurs signed Brown after the season started he'd be owed less money, IIRC.

timvp
11-20-2012, 12:45 AM
Brown is absolute garbage. Besides, I'm pretty sure he's playing in Europe.

DPG21920
11-20-2012, 12:54 AM
:lol Have Bruno and Timvp agreed on anything this year?

LakerHater
11-20-2012, 12:56 AM
Brown is absolute garbage. Besides, I'm pretty sure he's playing in Europe.
yeah, PBC Lokomotiv-Kuban

crc21209
11-20-2012, 01:18 AM
So Pop's answer to having no healthy SF's (unless you count Green) is to bring in another point guard? Huh?!?! Now I know we can use Green and Manu at SF but that's not an ideal situation....

99 Problems
11-20-2012, 02:14 AM
Good opp' for CJ. Sit by that phone man. Unless Pop pulling our leg, Gneal & Nando Movin over the floor.

Sean Cagney
11-20-2012, 02:25 AM

Well damn out 4-6 weeks now, shit it is as serious :(

dylankerouac
11-20-2012, 02:26 AM
Good for CJ. Spurs need to look at all their trade chips and leftover pieces if they decide to make a move.

Hoops Czar
11-20-2012, 02:26 AM
injured? meh, who gives a flying shit.

timtonymanu
11-20-2012, 02:28 AM
Missed the game. Had some family stuff to do.

:td at the Jack/Kawhi situation. Pop pulled the "soft" card again so that means the team decided to lose their toughness once Jack went down. :lol at Duncan2177 wanting to trade Jack for trash.

Sean Cagney
11-20-2012, 02:31 AM
We got lucky as hell with injuries last year. Chickens always come home to roost. Hopefully he is ready for Dec 30th game against the Mavericks.

Manu was out quite a while last year with an injury.. This earlier in the year as well, so this is no different.
injured? meh, who gives a flying shit.

Yes because losing your SF after you lost Leonard for 10 days or so is not a thing! YEP who cares! WHY CARE????????? I can see as a Cavs fan why you would care at all anymore since your team is garbage and your main guy is hurt too! This does not apply here though lol.

Hoops Czar
11-20-2012, 03:06 AM
Manu was out quite a while last year with an injury.. This earlier in the year as well, so this is no different.

Yes because losing your SF after you lost Leonard for 10 days or so is not a thing! YEP who cares! WHY CARE????????? I can see as a Cavs fan why you would care at all anymore since your team is garbage and your main guy is hurt too! This does not apply here though lol.
That cuts so deep. Tell me, how many drafts did it take to write those three sentences? You're truly clueless if you think S-jax is a "main guy".

pookenstein
11-20-2012, 03:20 AM
I say give Borias Diaw some minutes at SF.

Kidd K
11-20-2012, 04:28 AM
They're quality, not quantity.

They needed a third SF (and C, for that matter) and instead prioritized having a 7th guard. It was a stupid decision and it's already come back to bite them.

You're still harping on this? You need to wrap it around your brain that players can play multiple positions, and frequently play minutes at a position other than their normal one during games.

Both Ginobili and Green have been playing time at SF, Ginobili in particular. So the Spurs technically had 4 SFs, not 2. Signing a "third" guy, would've actually been signing a "5th", who would've been completely irrelevant unless both of the main SFs went down at the exact same time. Even in that scenerio, yet another SF will BARELY be getting any playing time. It's going to mainly be Manu and Green at there regardless.

Playing some complete ass at SF isn't going to be better than just using Manu and Green, just because the dude only plays SF. And it sure as hell isn't worth paying them a million dollars a year just to sit on the bench in case both the top guys at that position go down at once. That's terrible business practice when you can just bring up a d leaguer or sign a guy to a 10 day deal instead.

Sean Cagney
11-20-2012, 04:31 AM
That cuts so deep. Tell me, how many drafts did it take to write those three sentences? You're truly clueless if you think S-jax is a "main guy".

Okay he is not a main guy, but seriously he has played well in the rotation later last year and this year! He is not a main guy no but he does key things that help the team win! He will be missed for that month or so. How many drafts did it take to write those three sentences? NONE. I am talented enough to write it on the spot!

You say who gives a shit? Obviously us SPURS fans give a shit now that he is out and Leonard is out for a week or so as well.

justinandimcool
11-20-2012, 04:47 AM
happy with the CJ call-up. we are playing a bunch of shitbag teams coming up so the time for mad scientist/injury experiments is now- hopefully he gets some minutes. I love Mills but he hasn't proven to be the answer right now especially defensively.

as far as SF, obviously I hope we still sign one. of the realistic possibilities Witherspoon would make me most happy.

elemento
11-20-2012, 05:19 AM
I don't see the point to sign a SF. Any scrub they sign now will probably not be good enough to contribute in the 10-14 days Leonard and Jax will be out. Start Manu at the 2, play Green at the 3. Green was a 3 in college, he was 3 in Cleveland and he can play both SG/SF positions just fine.

dunkman
11-20-2012, 07:36 AM
Unfortunate injury, hopefully Jack gets well soon. Green will have to pass to SF, Manu will play SF/SG from the bench, and Neal will start at SG, maybe De Colo will see some action too.

silverblk mystix
11-20-2012, 11:11 AM

I like this way of thinking. Too bad you are probably half-kidding.

kobyz
11-20-2012, 12:02 PM
i'll go with Bruce Bowen

polandprzem
11-20-2012, 12:31 PM
parker
neal
green
duncan
splitt

no problemo

FromWayDowntown
11-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Stein saying that the Spurs will sign James Anderson from the D-League.

http://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=ESPNSteinLine

With Kawhi Leonard & Stephen Jackson ailing, Spurs in process of calling up Spurs alumnus James Anderson from D-League's Rio Grande Vipers

jeebus
11-20-2012, 01:38 PM

do not want

phxspurfan
11-20-2012, 02:04 PM
This injury/injuries could have a great silver lining for the Spurs. First, it's early in the season (still November), so playoff seedings are not affected too much yet, and time is on their side. Second, if managed right, this could open the door for the young guns to get their chance and build some confidence for the rest of the season. If we use lineups like

TD
Blair
Green
Neal
TP

Splitter
Diaw/Bonner
Manu
De Colo
Mills

...we will have more minutes to give Mills and De Colo, the guys who should be primary backups anyhow. When KL comes back, we shift back to the earlier starting lineup with Green at SG. Neal is not a good long term solution at backup PG, we all know this. Hopefully this injury situation helps to solidify that in Pop's mind so the experiment can be finally over.

kobyz
11-20-2012, 02:37 PM
too bad we missed out the opportunity of signing Josh Howard

timvp
11-20-2012, 02:58 PM
too bad we missed out the opportunity of signing Josh Howard

I'd rather have James Anderson. Howard is a step or two past done.

timvp
11-20-2012, 03:08 PM
The more I think about it, the less sense bringing in an outsider makes. Maybe Witherspoon or Anderson since they know the system, but that's about it.

Thinking about it even further, I agree with the Spurs selecting Anderson over Witherspoon.

1. The Spurs already have rights to Witherspoon. They are protected if he blows up in Austin.
2. Witherspoon had a good preseason but he was so bad in college last year that the preseason could have been a fluke.
3. Anderson looked skinnier and in much better shape while playing for the Hawks in the preseason. Perhaps his issue last year was he got too pudgy.
4. Anderson knows the system better than Witherspoon. He even played in summer league where the Spurs tested out some of their new plays.
5. The other players on the team have more chemistry with Anderson. The transition will be pretty damn seamless for everyone.
6. Anderson always seemed to play best in desperate situations. Now he has to either play really well or be sent to the D-League. That pressure could be good for him.
7. By all accounts, Anderson is a great guy who remained dedicated even after his agent asked for a trade and he racked up the DNP-CDs. 'Twould make a great story.

timtonymanu
11-20-2012, 03:16 PM
I like the move. Anderson knows the system already and can't hurt. I don't expect him to contribute much, but it's a low risk. I'm sure TDMVPDPOY will be pleased by this news.

Frenchie
11-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Even with Pietrus or Anderson, we are going to suffer troubles in at least the games against Miami and Boston.

Washington and the other teams between those 2 games could be beaten even if we don't have a real SF. End this road with 4 wins would be a great case for us.

LittleCriminal
11-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Jackson's Finger!!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_sgRKl7MtYw0/S9ChCRehQeI/AAAAAAAAANo/SMJP7hWKm7o/s1600/my+pinky.....bmp

ace3g
11-20-2012, 03:22 PM
http://distilleryimage9.instagram.com/4e5b763a332f11e2b62322000a9f12da_7.jpg

timvp
11-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Jack taking a picture of his hand while driving 40 MPH.....

FromWayDowntown
11-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Jack taking a picture of his hand while driving 40 MPG.....

and with a tire going down.

TD 21
11-20-2012, 06:09 PM
You're still harping on this? You need to wrap it around your brain that players can play multiple positions, and frequently play minutes at a position other than their normal one during games.

Both Ginobili and Green have been playing time at SF, Ginobili in particular. So the Spurs technically had 4 SFs, not 2. Signing a "third" guy, would've actually been signing a "5th", who would've been completely irrelevant unless both of the main SFs went down at the exact same time. Even in that scenerio, yet another SF will BARELY be getting any playing time. It's going to mainly be Manu and Green at there regardless.

Playing some complete ass at SF isn't going to be better than just using Manu and Green, just because the dude only plays SF. And it sure as hell isn't worth paying them a million dollars a year just to sit on the bench in case both the top guys at that position go down at once. That's terrible business practice when you can just bring up a d leaguer or sign a guy to a 10 day deal instead.

I'm aware. But that doesn't mean you have depth at a position. Just because the Spurs have played Blair and Diaw at C from time to time, that doesn't mean they can play C.

Green is more of a wing than a natural SG, but I've never liked Ginobili at SF. Not to say he can't ever play the position, but he's a guard. I've seen timvp's stats, but the reality is the Spurs don't put him on James, Durant, Anthony, Pierce, Gay, etc. When he plays SF, it's generally against guys who aren't threatening offensively players and/or overwhelmingly big. Now he'll have to play 15-20 mpg irrespective of the match-up and he'll have to guard some of those guys. Toughness only goes so far.

crc21209
11-20-2012, 11:08 PM
Jack's a tough mother...I expect him back in a month's time.

kobyz
11-21-2012, 05:15 AM
I'd rather have James Anderson. Howard is a step or two past done.

Howard is less than half the player he once was but i still think he could give better minutes than Anderson, just don't see Anderson work, he was never been able to be positive at that level, the biggest reason he's too soft mentally, play very indrawn and shy.

Kidd K
11-21-2012, 06:47 PM
I'm aware. But that doesn't mean you have depth at a position. Just because the Spurs have played Blair and Diaw at C from time to time, that doesn't mean they can play C.

Green is more of a wing than a natural SG, but I've never liked Ginobili at SF. Not to say he can't ever play the position, but he's a guard. I've seen timvp's stats, but the reality is the Spurs don't put him on James, Durant, Anthony, Pierce, Gay, etc. When he plays SF, it's generally against guys who aren't threatening offensively players and/or overwhelmingly big. Now he'll have to play 15-20 mpg irrespective of the match-up and he'll have to guard some of those guys. Toughness only goes so far.

Well yeah. . .they're obviously not gonna put him on one of the best 5 SFs in the NBA (which are the 5 you mentioned before saying "etc", and in arguably exact order) when you have your actual SFs available to play. :P When you're missing your two best SFs, there's obviously going to be a matchup problem against the elites, even if you carried a league minimum scrub who otherwise would be getting 0 minutes.

Actually, I would rather play Green or Manu on those guys than a 3rd stringer anyway. They would probably do a better job despite being smaller. But this is also a situation where Diaw can actually come in and play SF on those guys. Diaw can still defend Pierce at least, who's nearly lost a full step imo. We will get killed by LeBron though. 4th road game in 5 nights? Pretty much auto loss. Might've been an auto loss even if we had Kawhi and jack tbh. Those are some pretty unfair circumstances. :\

KL2
11-21-2012, 08:00 PM
I actually think these injuries are good for the Spurs, the bench should hopefully get much better, these guys have been playing like crap, they'll be forced to step it up.

ace3g
11-26-2012, 11:31 AM

DPG21920
11-26-2012, 12:03 PM
While no surgery is great, does that change the original timetable at all?

timtonymanu
11-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Great news!

ace3g
11-29-2012, 01:04 AM
Jackson said his finger, fractured Nov. 19 against the Los Angeles Clippers, is healing on schedule. Doctors have predicted 2 1/2 more weeks of rehab before Jackson might get back on the court, but the 35-year-old aims to beat that prognosis.
“Sitting here watching is driving me crazy,” Jackson said. “The good part is we’re still winning, so that’s making it a lot easier.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/11/28/spurs-injured-forwards-leonard-jackson-healing-on-schedule/

Stabula
11-29-2012, 01:14 AM
Though coach Gregg Popovich has used long road trips as a bonding exercise for players in the past, he recognizes the diminishing returns of spending so much time away from the familiar surroundings of home. “I think they’ve been together long enough, there’s not much more bonding they can do,” Popovich said. “They’re probably sick of each other.” :lol