PDA

View Full Version : Brent Barry Finds Groove

1Parker1
06-28-2005, 09:50 AM
Yeah, that was Brent Barry on the stage at the Alamodome on Saturday night, swaying to the beat with his San Antonio teammates as Tony Parker entertained a crowd of 65,000 with a French rap song.
Which by the way, came about at Barry’s urging.
“Bruce (Bowen) was doing a boring job of emceeing the event,” Barry says of the post-NBA championship celebration that followed a parade along the city’s Riverwalk. “I mean, all those people had been waiting a good three hours for us to enter the building. I thought they would enjoy a little French rapping, which as teammates we all know is something Tony does.
“He has a record label and some artists he is producing, and we always catch him on the team plane in an inspired rap. I figured it was a good time for Tony to have his first and last concert performance.
“We were all laughing and acting like a bunch of high school kids, which is what it’s all about.”
Parker and his teammates should stick to playing basketball, which they do better than anybody. After the Spurs claimed their third NBA crown in seven years in a seven-game duel with Detroit, Barry sought out coach Gregg Popovich for a long hug, validation for the most difficult yet satisfying season of the former Oregon State standout’s 10-year career.
“Brent is a wonderfully giving individual who really does care about the team more than anything else,” Popovich says. “He was a very big part of us winning this title.”
For a while this season, things weren’t so bright. After signing a four-year, $19-million free-agent contract last summer after a solid five-year run with Seattle, Barry teetered under the pressure of what he considered unrealistic expectations.
“Knowing what people were talking about and expecting, it was like, ‘This guy is going to put them over the top,’ ” he says. “They thought I was going to come in and average 25 and 10, which I had never done. I never focused on doing those things. I knew I wasn’t the answer, just a piece to the puzzle.”
The NBA’s No. 2 3-point shooter in 2003-04 at .452 struggled with his shot and his confidence through the early season. Popovich, who had expected the 6-6 Barry to fit into a sixth-man role backing up both Parker and Manu Ginobili, began to give some of Barry’s playing time to rookie Beno Udrih.
“Through most of the season, I never really settled down,” Barry says. “I came to a team where there were guys with established reputations — Tim and Tony and Manu — and Tony and Manu were playing my positions. I deferred a lot, and that’s something that wasn’t good, but it was part of the learning process.”
Barry, 33, slowly began to win back Popovich’s confidence, starting eight games near the end of the regular season, using his savvy court sense, shooting and ballhandling skills to advantage.

A call to a veteran

Before Game 7 of the Finals, Barry called TNT’s Steve Kerr, the one-time Trail Blazer who helped win four NBA titles in Chicago and San Antonio.
“Steve’s always been one of my favorite people,” Barry says. “I liken myself to him as a player at this point in my career — a guy who can always come in and contribute.
“I got home from shootaround, was sitting around the house with my wife and son gone. It was real quiet. I decided to give Steve a call, to get some advice from him to help settle me down. Anyone who says they’re not nervous at a time like that is lying to you.
“He said, ‘My first eight years in the league, I ran around and hid in the corner and made the safe pass and wasn’t myself on the court. Later in my career, I was able to loosen up and play more aggressive and just have more fun. That’s what you need to do.’ As soon as he said that, it was like a huge weight off me.”

Strong defense adds up

Barry came off the bench to provide 29 important minutes in the Spurs’ clinching win, hitting two of three shots — including his only 3 — and contributing five points, four rebounds, two assists and two steals. In the final three games of the series, Popovich cut his rotation to seven players, with only Barry and Robert Horry getting significant reserve duty.
“Brent was huge in getting the ball upcourt against some pretty big pressure,” Popovich says. “In the playoffs and especially in the Finals, he had some games where he played some wonderful defense, which is our priority. And he was more aggressive offensively at times, which is something we needed.”
When it was over, Barry was an NBA champion, a feeling he says is “indescribable.”
His father, NBA Hall-of-Famer Rick Barry, was on hand for Game 7. The Barrys become the second father-son combination to earn championships. Matt Guokas Sr. (Philadelphia Warriors, 1947) and Matt Guokas Jr. (Philadelphia 76ers, 1967) were the first.
“That’s pretty cool — something for the record books,” Brent says.

Barry almost went Blazer

It almost didn’t happen. Barry says last July, he was “literally two hours” from committing to a four-year, $23 million contract with Portland. GM John Nash and then-coach Maurice Cheeks traveled to his home in Hermosa Beach, Calif., to romance him, and he spoke with Damon Stoudamire on the phone.
“It was attractive to me, to get to play in Portland for a franchise that was looking to bring in players to improve itself,” Barry says. “I thought it was a good fit, and I was very comfortable with John and (President) Steve Patterson.”
Then came the last-minute offer from San Antonio.
“There was a significant enough (financial) difference that it made you think,” Barry says. “I made the decision that the opportunity to win a title was most important. It was tough for me to call John Nash.”
Popovich predicts better times are ahead for Barry.
“Brent’s season was a lot like Robert Horry’s first in San Antonio (2003-04),” the San Antonio coach says. “Robert felt unfamiliar, that he didn’t have the license to try this and that, to screw up here and there. Then he came back and had a fantastic second season.
“We look for Brent to come out next year like Robert and say, ‘I’m here to play. I’m part of the team, and I’m going to play with abandon.’ ”

http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=30495

Lonestar
06-28-2005, 12:23 PM
Great post! I was just reading through some other threads and thinking about Barry's contributions in the finals. I decided not to post to the other thread and then saw this one.

I'm not a huge Barry fan but I do believe he's better than what we saw this year. I was really suprised to see him bringing up the ball in game 7 but in the end it appeared to be a good move. I thought his defense was very good and helped us get the win.

I believe that what Pop said is correct. Barry will be better as his comfort level increases. He's got a year and a ring under his belt, that should go a long way towards decreasing the pressure that he felt coming to this team. Sometimes I think it takes some time to find your niche as a role player in a system filled with high caliber role players. The parallel drawn between Horry and Barry was right on.

Mark in Austin
06-28-2005, 01:29 PM
“Brent’s season was a lot like Robert Horry’s first in San Antonio (2003-04),” the San Antonio coach says. “Robert felt unfamiliar, that he didn’t have the license to try this and that, to screw up here and there. Then he came back and had a fantastic second season.
“We look for Brent to come out next year like Robert and say, ‘I’m here to play. I’m part of the team, and I’m going to play with abandon.’ ”

Countdown to Whottt's comments: 10....9....8....

PM5K
06-28-2005, 01:50 PM

MadDog73
06-28-2005, 01:58 PM
I think everyone who dogged on Barry needs to apologize.

While he never put up incredible numbers in the Finals, he was a big part of us getting there, and, as the article points out, put up enough positive numbers to win 2 close final games.

Props to Brent, and I hope he stays a Spur!

ObiwanGinobili
06-28-2005, 02:10 PM
Barry almost went Blazer

It almost didn’t happen. Barry says last July, he was “literally two hours” from committing to a four-year, $23 million contract with Portland. GM John Nash and then-coach Maurice Cheeks traveled to his home in Hermosa Beach, Calif., to romance him, and he spoke with Damon Stoudamire on the phone.
“It was attractive to me, to get to play in Portland for a franchise that was looking to bring in players to improve itself,” Barry says. “I thought it was a good fit, and I was very comfortable with John and (President) Steve Patterson.”
Then came the last-minute offer from San Antonio.
“There was a significant enough (financial) difference that it made you think,” Barry says. “I made the decision that the opportunity to win a title was most important

:depressed Poor tlong !!
:lmao :lmao

boutons
06-28-2005, 02:23 PM
As is expected for Brent, I was counting on Rasho's 2nd Spur year showing big improvements, at least up to his Minnesota numbers, maybe higher. Maybe the competition for statring and PT wth Nazr will "Spur' both of them towards their potential.

One of the greatest pleasures of the Finals was Game5, 6 ,7 from Brent.

FearDaDuncaN_SA
06-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Hell yea!
Thanks for posting that!
Barry is showing some determination and I could see that he was doing the best he could to contribute!
Once he loosens up and has fun like Horry, I'm sure he'll only get better....

whottt
06-28-2005, 03:04 PM
I just knew Barry wasn't a choker and thought his impact(to our offense) went beyond stats...even if you look at stats...setting aside PPG(some he should never really be judged by anyway)...he had an offensive season like few guards in team history...his PPS total and EFG% were probably both among the best in team history for a 2 guard not named Gervin...

I think the article nailed it that what people were expecting from Barry wasn't very realistic...

Both in terms of PPG and 3PT %...

He's not ever going to be a big time scorer...

And I too bought into the hype that Barry was going to shoot 80% from 3 this season...I realized long ago that it wasn't very realistic...

It wasn't even realistic to expect him to shoot as well as Steve Kerr had...Steve Kerr was the best PCT shooter ever...Barry wasn't going to outshoot him more than likely.

I think people expected what Kerr did in the playoffs in his final season here...

What Kerr did was phenomenal and probably won't eve be duplicated by a player in a Spurs uniform...basically that was the best 3 PCT shooter in NBA history going out in a SuperNova of flawless 3 shooting...he shot 70% from 3 or something for that entire post season run...aint no one going to do that IMO.

But if you ask me...that performance Barry put up against Phoenix in that 4th quarter was as impressive as anything Kerr or Jack did in that title run...I mean Dallas didn't play D either...

Basically...as long as Spurfans don't get too caught up in PPG I think they'll be happy with Barry...and as long as Barry does the same I think he'll shoot at a better PCT...

Pretty much he's like Horry...his value goes beyond his stats...

He's also like Kerr...only he can dunk, pass and run, and even defend a tough scorer in spot minutes on occasion...Kerr could never had done all that and I'd say that if we had the 03 Kerr this year instead of Barry...we probably wouldn't have won the title.

Nikos
06-28-2005, 03:06 PM
Barry was solid in spots of the playoffs. But no way he was even close to as valuable as Horry, even if you don't count Horry's last minute heroics.

I am hoping Brent becomes even better in the Spur system next season. He was solid in the regular season, but he could be better given his pedigree.

whottt
06-28-2005, 03:07 PM
BTW...we need to give Kerr a big thank you...not only did he help Barry in the penultimate game of our season...

He also was cited by both Barry and Robinson as a reason they chose the Spurs...If Steve's broadcasting career doesn't pan out we should hire him to recrutit FA's...he's a big reason for two of the biggest name signings in team history...

SWC Bonfire
06-28-2005, 03:08 PM
Kerr's not doing the Suns any favors, is he?

whottt
06-28-2005, 03:09 PM
Barry was solid in spots of the playoffs. But no way he was even close to as valuable as Horry, even if you don't count Horry's last minute heroics.

I am hoping Brent becomes even better in the Spur system next season. He was solid in the regular season, but he could be better given his pedigree.

There's only one Horry...my point is that Horry's value goes beyond PPG beyond stats...so does Barry's...

And even in that game 5...Horry scored 21 points in a quarter and OT period...Barry went off for 15 in that game 1 on the road VS Phoenix...that rates right up there with any clutch performance...

And there were plenty of people ripping on Horry after last year, during the summer, and well into this season...I didn't happen to be one of them but those that were have mysteriously forgotten their stance on him...It's not like he was untouchable or valued by the entire board prior to these playoffs...

Nikos
06-28-2005, 03:11 PM
Thing about Horry was even besides the incredible intangibles his stats were excellent. He was very effective in his minutes this playoffs. Actually per-minute he was probably better than the 1995 Horry. Which is impressive considering he was younger and more athletic back then.

whottt
06-28-2005, 03:20 PM
I too think this was one of Horry's best regular seasons, he was huge when Duncan was injured and IMO it was his best post season...game 5 was definitely his clutchest performance..Stats be damned...

Barry does similar things to our offense...when he defers he usually defers to a star who is in a good postion to score...and those quick passes he got ripped for all season long were instrumental in short circuiting the tough Pistons D at times. He's just good for our offense...Kinda like Horry is good for our title hopes...Regardless of what the stats say...