PDA

View Full Version : Blazers: Closer by committee: Blazers have options in late-game situations

tlongII
11-20-2012, 12:19 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2012/11/closer_by_committee_blazers_have_options_in_late-g.html

http://media.oregonlive.com/blazers_impact/photo/11889557-large.jpg
Nicolas Batum (88) celebrates after sinking a buzzer-beating shot.

It takes killer instinct. It takes desire. It takes guts. And most of all, it takes ability.

And the way Trail Blazers coach Terry Stotts sees it, he doesn't have one player with the aforementioned characteristics that he can turn to in a game-deciding situation. He has three. Maybe even four.

"I think it depends on the game and matchups and how different guys are going," Stotts said, when asked who he would go to in the closing seconds when he needs a bucket. "But whether it's Damian (Lillard), Nic (Batum), obviously (LaMarcus Aldridge) -- those three guys can create shots for themselves and make shots. I think a lot of it is going to depend on the night, how they're playing, what the matchup is. It just depends."

In a different era, before the NBA lockout and before last summer's roster overhaul, there was no question who would get the ball in the closing seconds of a close game. Brandon Roy delivered time and time again for the Blazers.

But as this young, rebuilding franchise evolves and forges a new identity, one of the things to keep an eye on is who develops into the new Closer. Already in the first 10 games, the Blazers have played a slew of close games, including two overtimes, and Stotts has turned to different players in different do-or-die situations.

The results have been mixed.

In a 112-109 loss to the San Antonio Spurs on Nov. 10, Batum had a chance to prove his worth as The Closer. For years, Batum has been foaming at the mouth for a more prominent role and he dazzled in the fourth quarter that night by scoring 13 of his career-high 35 points, including a three-pointer with 40.5 seconds left that tied the game at 109-109. But when it mattered most, with the Blazers trailing by two in the closing seconds, Batum fizzled.

After pleading with Stotts for the ball earlier in the quarter and demanding the ball from Aldridge just before hitting the game-tying three, Batum gathered a pass off a pin-down screen and, with time to spare, hoisted an errant three with 7.8 seconds left. After the game, Batum bee-lined to the Blazers' video room to re-watch the crucial possession and decided he rushed the shot, saying he should have given the play time to develop.

Batum is a relative newcomer to taking pressure-packed shots. He made an improbable game-winner two seasons ago by finishing a last-gasp alley-oop off an in-bound pass from Andre Miller and he missed a potential game-winning layup last season against Oklahoma City last when a trailing Russell Westbrook swatted away the attempt. But Batum, who made two of three buzzer-beater attempts in Europe during the lockout, said he has a burning desire to be The Guy late in games and his early failures have only strengthened his resolve.

"I want the ball at the end of the game in my hands," Batum said, after the loss to the Spurs. "I've got to learn from (this). You can't say every great player makes every buzzer beater. (Michael Jordan) missed some shots, too."

One player who hasn't missed many in his brief career is Lillard. The rookie point guard oozes late-game swagger and his calm, poised demeanor is perfectly suited for stressful late-game scenarios. Through 10 games, Lillard has had seven chances to score at the end of quarters and has delivered three times, converting a driving layup with 0.9 seconds left in the third against the Lakers, making two free throws with 1.7 seconds left in the third against Dallas and making a driving layup with 0.9 seconds left in the first half Sunday night against the Bulls.

Perhaps most impressive, Lillard has been exceptional in the Blazers' two overtime wins over Houston. At Houston, Lillard had eight points and two assists, while making all three of his field goals attempts, in the pivotal overtime period. At the Rose Garden, Lillard scored 16 points in the final 4:05 of regulation and overtime in a dominant, steely performance.

The only stain of that game came at the end of regulation, when Lillard allowed 10 seconds to trickle off the clock before misfiring on a three-point attempt that would have sealed the win without overtime. Before he took the court to take that shot, Lillard told teammate Ronnie Price he was "about to win this game." He didn't, but Lillard's killer instinct and self belief are critical traits of being a late-game assassin.

"I just think you have to have that mindset that you're going to go in and get it done," Lillard said.

Lillard, who made three of four buzzer-beating chances in college, also said part of being a late-game stalwart is being OK with failure. His ability to overcome that fourth-quarter miss and excel in overtime validated his point.

"In my mind, when I take the shot, I'm going to make it," Lillard said. "But I'm not afraid to miss it either. I've missed it before, so I can live with not making it. I think you've just got to be comfortable with yourself. For me, if I miss the shot, I don't think any less of myself. I feel like the next one is going to go in. You just have to be comfortable with who you are and be confident in yourself."

Aldridge is no stranger to game-winners. He made his first on March 7, 2008, when he drilled a baseline jumper with 2.4 seconds left at Milwaukee. He added another dagger last season in a two-point win over the Mavericks, draining a 17-foot fadeaway jumper at the buzzer. And in that home overtime win against the Rockets this season, he scored the Blazers' final three points, including a turnaround baseline jump shot with 36.8 seconds left that proved to be the difference.

But Aldridge, who so often had to play second fiddle to Roy early in his career, has had his share of whiffs, too. Just last week, in a loss to the Hawks, Aldridge missed two shots, committed one offensive charge and missed two free throws in the closing minutes.

Stotts uses a hero-by-committee tactic, in part, because none of the current Blazers has developed into a Roy-like Closer. Also, Stotts said, he likes the versatility and balance of having three go-to players -- four if you add Wesley Matthews. Stotts had a front-row seat to Dirk Nowitzki's game-winners the previous four seasons, so he knows the virtues of having a Closer. But he also likes to keep defenses guessing and relishes the mystery the Blazers' current makeup provides.

Going forward, when the Blazers need a big shot, will he turn to Aldridge, the veteran? Will he play through Batum, the blossoming hero? Or will he look to Lillard, the cool-as-ice rookie?

Who knows? At the very least, Stotts can lean on this: All three players said they want the ball in their hands with the final buzzer approaching; they want to take the final shot.

"I've just always feel like that time is the time to rise to the occasion," Lillard said. "I just like those moments, I feel like it says a lot about you to your teammates. I like my teammates to know that when it's a war going on out there that I'm ready to jump in the battle, that I'm going to fight for them. I really like those situations."

rayjayjohnson
11-20-2012, 03:01 PM
:lmao tlong

lefty
11-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Hope is a powerful thing

pass1st
11-20-2012, 03:43 PM
:lol pathetic franchise

Venti Quattro
11-20-2012, 04:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nERNj0afyY