PDA

View Full Version : New SF Updates Regarding James Anderson and Mickael Pietrus

spectator
11-20-2012, 02:37 PM
From Marc Stein:

With Kawhi Leonard & Stephen Jackson ailing, Spurs in process of calling up Spurs alumnus James Anderson from D-League's Rio Grande Vipers

Hearing Spurs do have interest in Mickael Pietrus -- natural w/2 other Frenchmen on roster -- but Pietrus still seeks more than NBA minimum

Spurs currently $1,149,135 below NBA's luxury-tax line, enough to offer pro-rated minimum deal and stay under. Pietrus holding out for more

Spurs, of course, have THREE Frenchmen on roster sans Pietrus: Parker/Diaw/De Colo. Hope I haven't hurt my standing w/my friends at@lequipe (https://twitter.com/lequipe)

spurraider21
11-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Ugh, Pietrus. He reminds me too much of Udoka tbh. And he's on the wrong side of 30, and is asking for more than the vet minimum. Although its pretty tough to get excited about James Anderson.

per random fan on twitter: We might as well start the coyote at the 3

lefty
11-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Pietrus seeks more than the minimum ?

He can sick a duck

He is talented, but has become lazy

silverblackfan
11-20-2012, 02:45 PM
It's a safe choice. If the team can win the next couple of weeks, then we should be a monster when KL returns.

szkorhetz
11-20-2012, 02:48 PM
I really have that funny but surely improbable feeling the JA will explode.
TBH, I would love to get Witherspoon back in the team.

timvp
11-20-2012, 02:56 PM
If the Spurs were to sign anyone, I thought James Anderson (or Witherspoon) made the most sense. Anderson looked pretty good (and skinnier) in the preseason with the Hawks.

Anderson deciding to play summer league with the Spurs turned out to be a great decision for him. At the time, it didn't make much sense. Props to him for not burning that bridge even though the Spurs had already told him there was no future for him in S.A.

As for Pietrus, F him. Even back when he was halfway decent, I hated him as a player. He's just too damn dumb to work on the Spurs. Good defender and can hit threes every now and again but sucks in every other aspect of basketball. Most Spurs fans fawned over him but I never saw any potential of him working with this team. Now that he's 30 and his athleticism is declining, he should be thankful that the Spurs are interested in him. :lol @ a beggar being a chooser.

LittleCriminal
11-20-2012, 03:16 PM
Why would the Spurs sign this guy??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvA9XhW_Pnw

Should sign this guy Instead!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkToMdLtIrA

Bruno
11-20-2012, 03:17 PM
I don't want Pietrus. Spurs just need a player for the next 7-10 days while Kawhi is out.

Anderson is meh. He is small for a SF and put crappy stats with Atlanta in the preseason. At the end, it's only for a short period of time so it isn't a big deal but I think Spurs could have done better.

timvp
11-20-2012, 03:23 PM
Bruno, who did you want?

spectator
11-20-2012, 03:27 PM
with the spurs looking to sign either ja or pietrus, i think that they are looking for size rather than talent. both players can play at an nba level, while not being great; however, the spurs have no one as big as pietrus for the SF position on the roster. maybe it's a knee jerk reaction to being out-rebounded by 10 last night and/or being out-rebounded in most games this season.

Frenchie
11-20-2012, 03:34 PM
If the Spurs are looking to sign a SF right now without waiting a bit, it could mean that we have more troubles than we expected. Perhaps Kawhi Leonard has a worst injury as we thought. If it's the case, it's worrying.

Bruno
11-20-2012, 03:49 PM
Bruno, who did you want?

I don't have a specific player I wanted but there are for sure better options than Anderson: Mo Evans, Q-Rich, Donte Greene, Damion James...
Hitting the open 3 pointer and the ability to defend big/strong SF were the qualities needed for the new player and Anderson has none of them.

LittleCriminal
11-20-2012, 03:51 PM
What I'd do is...
Sign K-Mart.
Call up Witherspoon
Put Bonner or Blair In street clothes.
When Leonard gets back send down Witherspoon.
When Jackson gets back keep Bonner or Blair in street clothes..
Kmart is put in the C/PF rotation
And keep Bonner and Blair In Street Clothes.

Problems Solved??

Frenchie
11-20-2012, 03:53 PM
TBH, if we want to find a guy who can defend and hit threes in a short time, Pietrus is probably the best choice. Mo Evans could also fit well with the team.

Pietrus is not supposed to be a good friend with TP. I'm pretty sure that he won't sign in San Antonio.

timvp
11-20-2012, 03:59 PM
I don't have a specific player I wanted but there are for sure better options than Anderson: Mo Evans, Q-Rich, Donte Greene, Damion James...
Hitting the open 3 pointer and the ability to defend big/strong SF were the qualities needed for the new player and Anderson has none of them.

The players you listed don't fit that mold either. The closest is Mo Evans and he's 34, only 6-foot-5 and was never that good in the first place.

Q-Rich can't shoot anymore and got too slow to defend the perimeter. Greene's an airhead who can't shoot or defend, and Damion James has been useless since he broke his foot.

JA's own broken foot probably ruined his career but he's at the same level of those guys and at least has some built-in chemistry that should allow him to absorb minutes right away if needed. Obviously he's not a savior and is VERY likely to be released before the new year but as a placeholder he makes as much sense as anyone I see in the open market.

ChumpDumper
11-20-2012, 04:04 PM
I'd probably just throw Witherspoon in the fire if he looks strong in Toros camp. I understand their wanting to go with a more known quantity; there are a few retreads in the D-League like Anderson who might still be able to play one way or another (Jamario Moon, Chris Douglas Roberts) but nothing too impressive.

elemento
11-20-2012, 04:08 PM
Why don't the Spurs just play with what they have?

Anderson couldn't contribute in 2 years in SA and he sure can't contribute now. Not to mention that he isn't a SF and he is too small to try to be one.

Rotate Neal/Green/Manu to play both SG/SF positions and give some minutes to De Colo. Way better than sign those trash players that will only play garbage time.

LittleCriminal
11-20-2012, 04:26 PM
Rotating Green, Manu, Neal and De Colo at the SF/SG Spot is a Garbage Idea.

elemento
11-20-2012, 04:36 PM
no need to bold your thoughts to make yourself visible tbh

K-Mart would already be signed if he was willing to take the min. Spurs doesn't have more than the min to offer, so your 1st idea doesn't work.

Whiterspoon is not a SF, so how exactly would he help a team without a SF?

Green played 4 years in college as a SF, he played SF in Cleveland and his game (defense and 3P) just makes it easier for SA to put him at the 3.

Feel free to disagree with me, but don't bold your crap ideas and come up with something better than signing a guy that can't be signed and a small PF that can't play the 3.

DPG21920
11-20-2012, 04:37 PM
Can we get Flo Pietrus instead tbh?

Frenchie
11-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Flo Pietrus is an undersized PF and has never played in the NBA. He's currently signed in Spain.

szkorhetz
11-20-2012, 04:45 PM
What the fuck Witherspoon is if not a SF?

ChumpDumper
11-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Whiterspoon is not a SF, so how exactly would he help a team without a SF?He will be in the NBA. Might as well start now.

LittleCriminal
11-20-2012, 04:51 PM
To Elemento,

K-Mart Has said recently said he'd Sign with any team For the Min.. google it.

Wesley Witherspoon - DraftExpress (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=wesley%20witherspoon&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CEQQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.draftexpress.com%2Fprofile%2F Wesley-Witherspoon-5180%2F&ei=ePmrUMHCBs3uqAGDo4D4BQ&usg=AFQjCNF_0YJG42ijDs_cY2Ji4gZhqlsJ-Q)

www.draftexpress.com/profile/Wesley-Witherspoon-5180/
Wesley Witherspoon is a 22 year old 6 foot 9 inch 212lb SF. Check out more at draftexpress for detailed stats, comparisons, and outlooks...

Green played Sf in College so that makes him a Sf in the NBA?
Last time I checked Green Sucked In Cleveland at the SF spot.
Green has blossomed Into what he is now due to him playing the SG position.
Making him a SG.
Nobody here would Start Green over Leonard or Jackson.

Just Because you disagree with me does not make you right. Facts Make you wrong.

Aside from death and taxes to which I have no control of, How I bold my good Ideas is my biz!

LittleCriminal
11-20-2012, 04:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAtla2zhQpA

Ice009
11-20-2012, 05:05 PM

The Spurs absolutely love undersized players. I am surprised they don't sign a 6'3" tweener to guard Lebron James.

elemento
11-20-2012, 05:42 PM
Little,

See much better now Little :toast

Well you tell that Green playing as a SF in college doesn't mean jack then you come up with a draftexpress link from Whiterspoon ? C'mon.

I now some of you guys love his size, but it doesn't mean it's going to be translated to the NBA. He is not ready to contribute at all.

Green played SF in college and in the NBA. I agree you you that Green has blossomed as a SG in SA, but simply because the Spurs system allow him to do what he does best, play D and shoot 3s. That's pretty much what a SF has to do in SA as well. That's what Bowen did, that's what soft Dick tried to do, that's what Leonard does and that's what Danny would have to do playing as a 3 while Leonard and Jax are out. It's not a long-term plan. It's a 10-day plan. I never said he should play over Jax or Leonard.

You can disagree with me all you want, I just ask you to be polite if you're gonna answer my post. I don't always agree with everyone here, but I am always polite.

You can do whatever you want in your life and write whatever you want and how you want as well, as long as it doesn't include me in your writings. If you're polite, I will be polite. If you're gonna come up with those kind of answers, I will simply tell you to go fuck yourself. It's simple like that.

Anyway, We will simply disagree here. No problem. You think Whiterspoon is a better idea and I think Danny sliding to the 3 position is a better idea, end of story.

Kidd K
11-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Pietrus only makes sense if they're trading Jackson later. It'd be a big waste of money to sign him to 1m+ just to have him ride the bench and mostly play garbage minutes after the next 2 weeks. JA makes more sense even though he's worse. Won't cost very much, and at least sorta knows the system.

I don't dislike Pietrus, it's just too much money for basically a 2 week issue.

justinandimcool
11-20-2012, 05:48 PM
would rather have coach Ime suit up than JA/Pietrus, tbh.

/nbh

spectator
11-20-2012, 06:00 PM
would rather have coach Ime suit up than JA/Pietrus, tbh.

/nbh

i just had flashbacks of clanked shots and mediocre athleticism. however, the first image that comes to mind about udoka is from game 1, 1st round of the 2008 playoffs, when he collects nash's heave at the end. what a game!

Frenchie
11-20-2012, 06:04 PM
Pietrus only makes sense if they're trading Jackson later. It'd be a big waste of money to sign him to 1m+ just to have him ride the bench and mostly play garbage minutes after the next 2 weeks. JA makes more sense even though he's worse. Won't cost very much, and at least sorta knows the system.

I don't dislike Pietrus, it's just too much money for basically a 2 week issue.
That's why I'm not so thrilled by the signing of Mike Pietrus. And I'm pretty sure that he won't agree with the Spurs because he wants money and a garanteed contract with minutes. That's why he's still a FA. His situation is very complicated right now, he wants too much in comparison of what he can really bring.

If Pietrus could sign a 10-day contract, I think it would be a great move. But it's nearly impossible to imagine this scenario. And I'm not sure that we can sign 10 day contract right now.

The current situation is very tough... I'm begining to imagine Boris Diaw playing some minutes at the 3 as he did in the game vs Denver. It could also be intersting to see how he can defend against quicker players and if he's really in good shape.

I'm not fond of Danny Green playing at SF but he's the most accurate player currently in the roster to play at the 3...

TD 21
11-20-2012, 06:18 PM
I'd have went with Anderson, too. More of a known quantity than Witherspoon, has a better grasp of the system and is probably closer to being an NBA player at this time. It's highly unlikely he survives beyond Jackson's return, but if he shows well, he might, especially if they end up making a lopsided trade for a quality big and need to add depth on the wing.

As far as Pietrus goes, I'm both surprised they're interested (as Kidd K said, this is not the type of player you bring in for two weeks and he'd be buried when they're healthy, so he only makes sense if they're planning on trading Jackson) and surprised (though less so) that he's hasn't jumped at this opportunity and is still delusional enough to think he's going to get more than the veteran's minimum at this point. The nerve of this guy. If I were them and he pulled this, I'd immediately end the pursuit.

dunkman
11-20-2012, 06:25 PM
The Spurs would need Pietrus for 4-6 weeks until Jack returns. He's a solid player definitely, and he could help vs OKC or the Heat. Pop would also have more freedom to go small.

On the down side, he doesn't know the system, the Spurs would hit the tax and would lose the last roster spot. If a good bigman becomes available, the Spurs would need to amnesty a player.

DPG21920
11-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Flo Pietrus is an undersized PF and has never played in the NBA. He's currently signed in Spain.

haha, I know - I was joking - although I would easily rather him than Mickael

TD 21
11-20-2012, 06:32 PM
The Spurs would need Pietrus for 4-6 weeks until Jack returns. He's a solid player definitely, and he could help vs OKC or the Heat. Pop would also have more freedom to go small.

On the down side, he doesn't know the system, the Spurs would hit the tax and would lose the last roster spot. If a good bigman becomes available, the Spurs would need to amnesty a player.

Nah, 2 weeks. Think about it: If Leonard returns by the first game back from the road trip, then the wing rotation will consist of Leonard, Green, Ginobili and Neal.

If they really wanted, they could utilize Pietrus as the backup SF and have Ginobili and Neal at the guards, but it's more likely they'd take more of a look at Mills and possibly De Colo/Joseph during that stretch, as well as open up more minutes for Neal.

Hoops Czar
11-20-2012, 06:50 PM
From Marc Stein:

With Kawhi Leonard & Stephen Jackson ailing, Spurs in process of calling up Spurs alumnus James Anderson from D-League's Rio Grande Vipers

Hearing Spurs do have interest in Mickael Pietrus -- natural w/2 other Frenchmen on roster -- but Pietrus still seeks more than NBA minimum

Spurs currently $1,149,135 below NBA's luxury-tax line, enough to offer pro-rated minimum deal and stay under. Pietrus holding out for more

Spurs, of course, have THREE Frenchmen on roster sans Pietrus: Parker/Diaw/De Colo. Hope I haven't hurt my standing w/my friends at@lequipe (https://twitter.com/lequipe)

Translation.. I'll play for Miami and LAL. Everybody else has to pay.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-20-2012, 06:59 PM
We're talking about 6 games until Kawhi comes back, so surely signing JA, who already knows the system and thus will be of some use, makes the most sense. Green/Manu will play a lot of SF, JA plays some minutes off the bench, and de Colo plays more SG.

Come back soon Kawhi and Jax!

LittleCriminal
11-20-2012, 07:17 PM
no need to bold your thoughts to make yourself visible tbh

K-Mart would already be signed if he was willing to take the min. Spurs doesn't have more than the min to offer, so your 1st idea doesn't work.

Whiterspoon is not a SF, so how exactly would he help a team without a SF?

Green played 4 years in college as a SF, he played SF in Cleveland and his game (defense and 3P) just makes it easier for SA to put him at the 3.

Feel free to disagree with me, but don't bold your crap ideas and come up with something better than signing a guy that can't be signed and a small PF that can't play the 3.

Little,

See much better now Little :toast

Well you tell that Green playing as a SF in college doesn't mean jack then you come up with a draftexpress link from Whiterspoon ? C'mon.

I now some of you guys love his size, but it doesn't mean it's going to be translated to the NBA. He is not ready to contribute at all.

Green played SF in college and in the NBA. I agree you you that Green has blossomed as a SG in SA, but simply because the Spurs system allow him to do what he does best, play D and shoot 3s. That's pretty much what a SF has to do in SA as well. That's what Bowen did, that's what soft Dick tried to do, that's what Leonard does and that's what Danny would have to do playing as a 3 while Leonard and Jax are out. It's not a long-term plan. It's a 10-day plan. I never said he should play over Jax or Leonard.

You can disagree with me all you want, I just ask you to be polite if you're gonna answer my post. I don't always agree with everyone here, but I am always polite.

You can do whatever you want in your life and write whatever you want and how you want as well, as long as it doesn't include me in your writings. If you're polite, I will be polite. If you're gonna come up with those kind of answers, I will simply tell you to go fuck yourself. It's simple like that.

Anyway, We will simply disagree here. No problem. You think Whiterspoon is a better idea and I think Danny sliding to the 3 position is a better idea, end of story.

Sorry to offend you Lady,
But I did not have a rude thought in mind responding to your Garbage Ideas.

I'm a Church Going, Jesus freak!!
I would never tell you to "go fuck yourself little bitch ass pussy!!"
You Need Jesus Christ In your Life to get the Hate Out.

Anyways,
Having Green,Manu,Neal and De Colo playing at the SF/SG spots is a Garbage Idea.
When the Spurs Sign or Call Up somebody this will only prove your Idea as being just that.. Garbage.

dunkman
11-20-2012, 08:24 PM
Nah, 2 weeks. Think about it: If Leonard returns by the first game back from the road trip, then the wing rotation will consist of Leonard, Green, Ginobili and Neal.

If they really wanted, they could utilize Pietrus as the backup SF and have Ginobili and Neal at the guards, but it's more likely they'd take more of a look at Mills and possibly De Colo/Joseph during that stretch, as well as open up more minutes for Neal.

When Kawhi returns, he will play +30 mpg, but Pietrus could still be of use as backup and for small ball, since he's an serviceable SF, and Kawhi could play the 4. Not sure if he's worth more than the minimum, though.

Also, in the end, the Spurs need an good bigman and Pietrus won't accept to sign some 10 days contracts.

BadOne
11-20-2012, 09:30 PM
Don't know if you guys saw this or not. Any truth to this?

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2012/11/20/3672688/james-anderson--return--spurs-nba

ace3g
11-20-2012, 09:41 PM
Jeff McDonald ‏@JMcDonald_SAEN (https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN) To be clear(er), Anderson is in Boston right now. Once Spurs make signing official (tomorrow presumably), they're at max 15.

Jeff McDonald ‏@JMcDonald_SAEN (https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN) For those wanting to sport a James Anderson jersey circa 2012-13, just scrape the name off your vintage Jacque Vaughn jersey.

TD 21
11-20-2012, 10:21 PM
When Kawhi returns, he will play +30 mpg, but Pietrus could still be of use as backup and for small ball, since he's an serviceable SF, and Kawhi could play the 4. Not sure if he's worth more than the minimum, though.

Also, in the end, the Spurs need an good bigman and Pietrus won't accept to sign some 10 days contracts.

Fair enough.

Still though, whether you view it as 2 weeks or 4-6 weeks, the point remains the same: He's not really the type of player you bring in as a short term fix. Although, we are seeing more and more players of his caliber (Barbosa, Barnes, etc.) signing with contending teams, knowing full well they'll be out of the rotation once those teams are at full strength at their positions. But it's not the Spurs style, at least not in recent years.

Once he finally swallows his pride and accepts the fact that he'll have to take the veteran's minimum, I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up with the Lakers or Thunder, who both have a need for a 3D backup SF.

crc21209
11-20-2012, 11:06 PM
Meh...I think I would have preferred Pietrus over Anderson. Mainly because Pietrus has at least had some success in the NBA, unlike Anderson. I though Pietrus was done, but he did pretty well for the Celtics last season. But oh well, it's only for a week or two...so I'll take Anderson I guess...

Ice009
11-20-2012, 11:20 PM

I definitely don't want that last roster spot being taken up by Pietrus. I'd only be OK with it if it was non guaranteed and if we could cut him at any time, otherwise, no thanks. Definitely don't want to waste that last roster spot on him unless it is non guaranteed.

Drz
11-20-2012, 11:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7_hljvCb8s

Sean Cagney
11-21-2012, 12:09 AM
Meh...I think I would have preferred Pietrus over Anderson. Mainly because Pietrus has at least had some success in the NBA, unlike Anderson. I though Pietrus was done, but he did pretty well for the Celtics last season. But oh well, it's only for a week or two...so I'll take Anderson I guess...

Anderson never impressed me at all either. Blah no news here.

99 Problems
11-21-2012, 12:39 AM
The Spurs absolutely love undersized players. I am surprised they don't sign a 6'3" tweener to guard Lebron James.

Is Spud Webb available?

ace3g
11-21-2012, 01:40 AM
Former first-rounder Anderson back with team (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/11/21/former-first-rounder-anderson-back-with-team/)
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/11/21/former-first-rounder-anderson-back-with-team/

Ice009
11-21-2012, 02:14 AM
Former first-rounder Anderson back with team (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/11/21/former-first-rounder-anderson-back-with-team/)
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/11/21/former-first-rounder-anderson-back-with-team/

Pretty underwhelming news. One of the most underwhelming signings the Spurs have made in years, and I was actually someone that wanted the Spurs to keep giving JA chances when he was here. I thought he would come good, but I might have been wrong on that. I thought he needed more shots as he is a volume shooter, scorer, but his play was just so bad at times, the Spurs couldn't really do anything with him. He started out looking like a legit NBA player, but by the end of his time here he didn't even really look like an NBA caliber player.

I don't think there would even be one person excited by this signing. James just didn't really show anything when he came back from that injury.

Spurs da champs
11-21-2012, 02:47 AM
Damn, Pietrus would've been so much better!

timtonymanu
11-21-2012, 03:05 AM
Pretty underwhelming news. One of the most underwhelming signings the Spurs have made in years, and I was actually someone that wanted the Spurs to keep giving JA chances when he was here. I thought he would come good, but I might have been wrong on that. I thought he needed more shots as he is a volume shooter, scorer, but his play was just so bad at times, the Spurs couldn't really do anything with him. He started out looking like a legit NBA player, but by the end of his time here he didn't even really look like an NBA caliber player.

I don't think there would even be one person excited by this signing. James just didn't really show anything when he came back from that injury.

Are we even suppose to be impressed by a 15th man? Give the kid a break. At least it's not Michael Finley or Ime Udoka or any of those small forwards the Spurs tried adding in the past.

timtonymanu
11-21-2012, 03:07 AM
[URL="https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN"]Jeff McDonald ‏@JMcDonald_SAEN (https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN) For those wanting to sport a James Anderson jersey circa 2012-13, just scrape the name off your vintage Jacque Vaughn jersey.

:lol they still have Anderson jerseys on sale on Spurs.com.

Ice009
11-21-2012, 03:11 AM
Damn, Pietrus would've been so much better!

Signing Pietrus would have been a bad move. He probably wouldn't come for a non guaranteed contract and there is no way that the Spurs should waste that last roster spot with someone like him that isn't that great. James is a better choice for now because you can waive him at anytime to free up that roster spot for another free agent singing or a trade. You'd be kicking yourself if Kenyon Martin for example wanted to sign here for the minimum, but you didn't have that roster spot open because Pietrus is sitting on the bench.

Spurs da champs
11-21-2012, 03:21 AM
Signing Pietrus would have been a bad move. He probably wouldn't come for a non guaranteed contract and there is no way that the Spurs should waste that last roster spot with someone like him that isn't that great. James is a better choice for now because you can waive him at anytime to free up that roster spot for another free agent singing or a trade. You'd be kicking yourself if Kenyon Martin for example wanted to sign here for the minimum, but you didn't have that roster spot open because Pietrus is sitting on the bench.

Then you could just waive Blair (who has really overextended his stay) if Martin wants to come here, Peitrus plays solid D & can hit open shots, you can never have enough guys like that. But I suppose your right about wasting money on him for limited playing time but so far the Spurs have wasted money on Bonner & Diaw, but it is what it is.

Ice009
11-21-2012, 03:29 AM
I would try and get something for Blair, no way I would just wave him for nothing. Even a second round pick at worst, no way you just waive someone that has started as many games as he has for the Spurs over the last few years. You gotta try and get something for him at least. I know he is not great, some teams would have a use for him.

Spurs da champs
11-21-2012, 03:40 AM
You gotta try and get something for him at least. I know he is not great, some teams would have a use for him.

They've tried & got no interest, no one has a need for a skilless 6'6 center.

Ice009
11-21-2012, 03:43 AM
They've tried & got no interest, no one has a need for a skiless 6'6 center.

I think they were trying to get a first round pick for him. They probably turned down a second round pick as our depth isn't good as far as big men go to give him up for nothing.

Bruno
11-21-2012, 04:16 AM
I find it noteworthy that Spurs contacted Pietrus. You obviously had to make the link with Spurs working out McGrady and Josh Howard late this summer. For whatever reason(s), that could be Spurs planing to trade Jackson/Neal and/or Pop planing to play a lot of smallball, Spurs are still looking to add a vet SF. James Anderson is a temporary solution and his signing doesn't mean Spurs are done looking at this vet SFs.

racm
11-21-2012, 04:24 AM
I find it noteworthy that Spurs contacted Pietrus. You obviously had to make the link with Spurs working out McGrady and Josh Howard late this summer. For whatever reason(s), that could be Spurs planing to trade Jackson/Neal and/or Pop planing to play a lot of smallball, Spurs are still looking to add a vet SF. James Anderson is a temporary solution and his signing doesn't mean Spurs are done looking at this vet SFs.

There's the part that Jack's contract is not only the Spurs' best trade chip but that they also have little depth with regards to the big wing. The Spurs have five bigs, five guards, and two small wings.

Drom John
11-21-2012, 10:28 AM
James Anderson hasn't played much for the Spurs, 889 minutes in two years, but 0.8 WS, .044 WS/48 was contributing. Not much, but better than replacement level.

ace3g
11-21-2012, 10:41 AM
Spurs Press Release:

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/121121_spurs_sign_james_anderson

(http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/121121_spurs_sign_james_anderson) Jeff McDonald ‏@JMcDonald_SAEN (https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN) Anderson was in McAllen watching Spurs game when Jack got hurt. Got a call from the team about an hour later

(http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/121121_spurs_sign_james_anderson)

dunkman
11-21-2012, 01:34 PM

Well, Pietrus, McGrady and Howard are legit NBA players. I think that the Spurs need Jack because he's playoffs proven and Manu isn't consistent at this point in his career. The expiring contracts of Splitter, Bonner, and let's say Pietrus signed for $1M over 50% of the season and with an 20% trade kicker, are near the amount of Jack's contract. Splitter is young, athletic 7 footer, no drama player - he should draw much more interest than Jack.

Hoops Czar
11-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Are we even suppose to be impressed by a 15th man? Give the kid a break. At least it's not Michael Finley or Ime Udoka or any of those small forwards the Spurs tried adding in the past.

He's the last guy signed, but hardly the 15th man. He's going to see crucial playing time with two sf's on the shelf. I guess it's up to personal preference between Anderson and Pietrus. Which would you rather have, a player who knows the system but can't execute for shit or a veteran who doesn't know the system, but knows his role, won't try to do too much, doesn't have anything to prove and provides veteran leadership? I choose the latter.

timvp
11-21-2012, 05:03 PM

The good news is that Leonard's injury must still be considered relatively minor. Otherwise, the Spurs would probably go ahead and spend the extra money to ink Pietrus. Plus, Anderson is clearly a stopgap signing, which again points to Leonard's recovery going well.

Bruno
11-21-2012, 05:12 PM
Otherwise, the Spurs would probably go ahead and spend the extra money to ink Pietrus.

Spurs can't offer Pietrus more than the minimum and reports said that he wants more than that. That has been the issue with him: some teams are ready to sign him but only for the minimum and he want more money. It's a similar situation than with Kenyon Martin.

Mel_13
11-21-2012, 05:13 PM
He's the last guy signed, but hardly the 15th man. He's going to see crucial playing time with two sf's on the shelf. I guess it's up to personal preference between Anderson and Pietrus. Which would you rather have, a player who knows the system but can't execute for shit or a veteran who doesn't know the system, but knows his role, won't try to do too much, doesn't have anything to prove and provides veteran leadership? I choose the latter.

I might as well, but that hardly seems like an accurate description of Pietrus.

timvp
11-21-2012, 05:14 PM
Spurs can't offer Pietrus more than the minimum and reports said that he wants more than that. That has been the issue with him: some teams are ready to sign him but only for the minimum and he want more money. It's a similar situation than with Kenyon Martin.

By extra money I mean guaranteeing him the minimum for the rest of the season. Pietrus wants more than that? WoW.

Bruno
11-21-2012, 05:16 PM
By extra money I mean guaranteeing him the minimum for the rest of the season. Pietrus wants more than that? WoW.

Yep, he does. WoW, indeed.

ace3g
11-21-2012, 05:33 PM
This says Spurs didn't make offer to Pietrus:

http://www.leparisien.fr/sports/nba-les-spurs-se-renseignent-sur-mickael-pietrus-sans-lui-proposer-de-contrat-21-11-2012-2342183.php

but need proper translation

Bruno
11-21-2012, 05:40 PM
This says Spurs didn't make offer to Pietrus:

http://www.leparisien.fr/sports/nba-les-spurs-se-renseignent-sur-mickael-pietrus-sans-lui-proposer-de-contrat-21-11-2012-2342183.php

but need proper translation

I saw this report earlier but it's a confusing one. It says that Spurs didn't have the financial ability to offer him a minimum salary while they have.

BTW, if Spurs really want to add a french SF, they better call my guy Gelabale. He played great this year in Euroleague and his contract will end up in a few days/weeks.

Frenchie
11-21-2012, 05:49 PM
This article just says that Pietrus as been called but the Spurs didn't offer him a contract. The front office just wanted some information about him. It's also said that Pietrus has still contact with some other teams.

Edit : good point Bruno, he's going to be a FA in a very short time. Could be a nice addition, tbh. Godd defender, capable scorer, efficient from 3.

ace3g
11-21-2012, 05:51 PM
I saw this report earlier but it's a confusing one. It says that Spurs didn't have the financial ability to offer him a minimum salary while they have.

BTW, if Spurs really want to add a french SF, they better call my guy Gelabale. He played great this year in Euroleague and his contract will end up in a few days/weeks.

With the number of times the Spurs have been linked to him (work outs mostly), I wouldn't mind if they signed him. Before we had Kawhi, etc and were in that search for a SF, Gelabale was always someone I kept an eye on.

timvp
11-21-2012, 05:58 PM
Gelabale looked pretty good in the Olympics. Sometimes he was the best swingman on the team. He's a good choice if the Spurs are indeed looking for a longer term solution.

Frenchie
11-21-2012, 06:05 PM
I was really surprised that Gelabale wasn't signed last year. He had a good hype at this moment after playing very well with the FNT at the Eurobasket. Unfortunately, he was injured more that he expected...

But last year, Gelabale said that he don't want unguarranted contracts anymore in the NBA because NBA teams know what his level is.

Kidd K
11-21-2012, 06:54 PM
Does anyone expect JA to actually start and get starter's minutes? I don't believe he's going to get significant time even with this. I think they're going to end up stretching Diaw, Manu, and Green to SF, and play their backup guards and PFs a bit more. JA probably won't get more than 12-18 mins a game, I'd guess.

elemento
11-21-2012, 08:27 PM

Anyways,
Having Green,Manu,Neal and De Colo playing at the SF/SG spots is a Garbage Idea.
When the Spurs Sign or Call Up somebody this will only prove your Idea as being just that.. Garbage.

JMcDonald_SAEN As expected, Gary Neal will start at SG tonight in BOS, with Danny Green sliding to SF.

It looks like Pop approves my garbage ideas tbh or maybe he knows I little bit about basketball, right ?

No sign of your savior Whiterspoon btw, who just had an amazing game in the D-League with 4 points @ 16%FG and 20% from deep in 20 minutes of action.

Next time you put your GARBAGE ideas on ST, make sure you don't bold it so it's going to be less embarrassing for you.

Aztecfan03
11-24-2012, 12:44 AM

Anyways,

You are not being a very good representative of Christ.

ace3g
11-29-2012, 07:26 PM
Looks like Raptors are signing Pietrus:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/raptors/2012/11/29/mickael-pietrus-signs-with-the-toronto-raptors/1735947/