PDA

View Full Version : webber getting waived?

ducks
06-28-2005, 10:06 AM
Already, the Dallas Mavericks are talking about terminating the contract of--and paying in full--Maywood native Michael Finley. The Knicks are talking about a similar termination with Allan Houston. Both would receive the remaining amount of their contracts, annually more than $15 million.

Other players considered strong possibilities to be released in a similar manner would be Chris Webber in Philadelphia, Jalen Rose in Toronto, Eddie Jones in Miami, Doug Christie in Orlando, Theo Ratliff in Portland and Raef LaFrentz in Boston.

GREAT TRADE SIXERS :rolleyes :rolleyes

SWC Bonfire
06-28-2005, 10:13 AM
"THE GREATEST TRADE EVER" - Steven A. Smith

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2005, 10:21 AM
Hmmm....

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2005, 10:25 AM
Offensively he'd fit in, but man, I think he stopped going to the rim in 1997...

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-28-2005, 10:28 AM
Webber's toast. I could see some young team picking him, but the Spurs don't need him, especially if they're bringing Scola in. The conventional wisdom is that he can pretty much do everything that Webber is able to do now without being overpaid and 73 years old.

DDS4
06-28-2005, 10:34 AM
Offensively he'd fit in, but man, I think he stopped going to the rim in 1997...

I'd cut him in a heartbeat.

Who the hell needs a 6'10" jump shooting "big" man from 18-20 feet?

Sad. What a waste.

SLOVENIAN 8
06-28-2005, 10:34 AM
Webber is not good anymore he Sux

Guru of Nothing
06-28-2005, 10:40 AM
Chris Webber, next season's Antonio McDyess.

ObiwanGinobili
06-28-2005, 10:41 AM
:lmao @ thought of Jaeln Rose gettign cut.
who will pick him up?
guess we'll be seeing more of him on TBDSSP.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-28-2005, 10:41 AM
Chris Webber, next season's Antonio McDyess.

Only if you mean that Webber won't win a championship.

Spurminator
06-28-2005, 10:42 AM
Webber will be in Miami next year. I'm calling it right now.

Pistons < Spurs
06-28-2005, 10:43 AM
who will pick him up?

Lots of rumblings in Detroit that we (Pistons) will be looking at him. Assuming he'd be a backup for us.

Could give us some much needed bench scoring, and can, if need be, play 1,2, or 3 spot......boy would need to work on his D though.

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2005, 10:45 AM
OK, it's not as if the Spurs are set up front. Yes, they are certainly not in bad shape at all, especially with Scola coming in and Oberto out there if the Spurs have room.

But, Webber would be a hell of an addition, especially if you need him for perhaps 15 mintues a night. The Spurs do need some scoring off the bench. Webber is a solid rebounder and he's always a scoring threat. He's better offensively in the paint than anyone outside of Tim Duncan on the Spurs.

ducks
06-28-2005, 12:09 PM
webber for 15 minutes at 3 million a year would be a bargain

1Parker1
06-28-2005, 12:12 PM
Webber is not getting waived. Where do you people get this stuff from? According to local reports the general consensis is that now that he's had time to play along side AI and get used to the Sixers system (whatever system that may be:rolleyes), they're gonna keep with him and see where it leads. However, if by midseason it doesn't seem to be working out--I can see them maybe considering trading Webber.

Webber wasn't too shabby against the Pistons in the 1st round. He does need to work on rebounding and Defense--but I guess that's just cuz he spent the last few years with the Kings :)

As talented as AI is, Philly is not going to be a championship contending team in the forseeable future--unless we somehow get involved in a monster trade, which I highly doubt.

Useruser666
06-28-2005, 12:13 PM
Get'er done! :lol

MadDog73
06-28-2005, 12:14 PM
Wouldn't Finley be a better addition than Webber?

He played well next to Dirk, and could fit in with the Spurs.

I can't believe Dallas would let him go... the biggest mistake the Mavs can make is to try and rebuild their team AGAIN. :wtf

TMSKILZ
06-28-2005, 12:17 PM
I'd take CWebb, b/c his game is from 10-15 ft from the rim, he would get out of TDs way in the low post, has a very reliable jumper, would draw post DEFers away from the middle, opening up things for TD, provide less double-teams on TD, plus he can Reb, is considered a Superstar in the NBA so he would draw more fouls on opponents, get to the FT line & has a high % of making them.
Wold allow the luxury of keeping Rasho or Nazr & geting rid of the odd man out between them.

Besides he has a few low post moves, he's a less physical version of the Mailman who many here wanted on our team beofre the yr.

Another positive is that he wouldn't be the main go to guy on our team, with manu & TD, he'd have far less pressure to put up BIG #'s every game & carry a team.

Another guy I'd love to have is T.Ratliff, if he can bounce back from injuries, he's better than Rasho & Nazr combined. He'd be a major boost to our front line & team.

ambchang
06-28-2005, 12:19 PM
who will pick him up?

Rose is a decent player, he is definitely not max contract worthy, worth probably $5 - 6 mil a year, and on the downside of his career, but there are still times he will carry the offensive load of his team. He has won a few games for the Raptors this year (not a whole lot, but he was quite good).

Jimcs50
06-28-2005, 12:20 PM
Already, the Dallas Mavericks are talking about terminating the contract of--and paying in full--Maywood native Michael Finley. The Knicks are talking about a similar termination with Allan Houston. Both would receive the remaining amount of their contracts, annually more than $15 million.

Other players considered strong possibilities to be released in a similar manner would be Chris Webber in Philadelphia, Jalen Rose in Toronto, Eddie Jones in Miami, Doug Christie in Orlando, Theo Ratliff in Portland and Raef LaFrentz in Boston.

Jalen is rumored to go to the Lakers.

Jimcs50
06-28-2005, 12:24 PM
No CWeb, please!!!

Finley needs to learn to play defense, but if Big Dog can learn, Michael can learn too.

Sean Bradley is retiring so maybe we can trade Rasho to Dallas, trade Barry to someone, keep Nazr, get Scola on board and sign Finley.

TwoHandJam
06-28-2005, 12:25 PM
Forget Webber. If you can get Finley for a decent price, the Spurs have to look at him.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-28-2005, 12:25 PM
Jalen's one of the guys that will have a job waiting for him if he's cut.

:lmao? Only at the one person on this thread who thinks he won't have a job if he's cut.

Just say no to Webber, dude plays about as much D these days as Steve Nash.

mavsfan1000
06-28-2005, 12:28 PM
Webber will be in Miami next year. I'm calling it right now.
And I'm calling Finley is going to Phoenix next year. :wtf

Ocotillo
06-28-2005, 12:32 PM

I remember some wanting Raef to be DRob's replacement.

Ocotillo
06-28-2005, 12:34 PM
Jalen is rumored to go to the Lakers.

I heard that on Van Earl Wright and Jim Rome's show. Of course, every free agent is rumored at one time or another to be interested in the Lakers or vice versa.

Jimcs50
06-28-2005, 12:35 PM
Ummmmm no. Michael aint coming here even though he is really good. I dont see the Mavs getting rid of him unless he is injured. He is a HUGE part of that team. And where the fuck would he fit in on this team? Behind Manu and Barry, not to mention Barry who isnt going ANYWHERE.

And Mark Cuban might be an idiot, however he is way too smart to trade for Rasho.

And Scola hasnt proved shit yet. Olympics is NOTHING like the NBA.

It is a done deal, Dallas is letting Finley loose. They will have to pay his salary, but it does not count against the luxury tax...it is strictly a financial move.

If we trade Barry, then Finley can play behind Manu and Bruce, and I think he would welcome that.

Ocotillo
06-28-2005, 12:35 PM
Also Pop and company like Finley or at least a few years back they did.

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2005, 12:41 PM
Finley or Webber would be an excellent addition to this team.

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2005, 12:42 PM
I'd take Jalen in SA too.

td4mvp3
06-28-2005, 12:47 PM

anybody else intrigued by doug christie? he's a lot like bowen but younger, i think.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-28-2005, 12:54 PM
Doug Christie: Born 5/9/70

Bruce Bowen: Born 6/14/71

Plus you've got that whole pussy whipped thing going on.

batman2883
06-28-2005, 12:55 PM
Yeah definitly I like Doug Christie, however, I think a trade for Sharif Abdul-Rahim would be a good acquisition via a trade

td4mvp3
06-28-2005, 12:56 PM
Doug Christie: Born 5/9/70

Bruce Bowen: Born 6/14/71

Plus you've got that whole pussy whipped thing going on.
we'd have mrs. christie who'd have our back should anything go down. :spin

SWC Bonfire
06-28-2005, 12:57 PM
These guys are being cut for a reason. They underperformed/didn't live up to their big contracts. Signing one up to a smaller contract doesn't change the fact that they didn't hold up their end of the bargain the first go round.

batman2883
06-28-2005, 12:58 PM
These guys are being cut for a reason. They underperformed/didn't live up to their big contracts. Signing one up to a smaller contract doesn't change the fact that they didn't hold up their end of the bargain the first go round.

Glenn Robinson was cut, Bruce Bowen was practically handed over whats your point??? That these guys can't produce with other teams?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-28-2005, 12:59 PM
I'm sorry, but there is no way psyco bitch (Mrs. Christie) and Eva Longoria would be capable of being in the same arena as one another.

And Eva is great eye candy, I'd rather not see something bad happen to her.

batman2883
06-28-2005, 01:01 PM
I'm sorry, but there is no way psyco bitch (Mrs. Christie) and Eva Longoria would be capable of being in the same arena as one another.

And Eva is great eye candy, I'd rather not see something bad happen to her.

Totally agree, Eva should be the only eye candy around, she's much better than Mrs. Kidd.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-28-2005, 01:01 PM
They underperformed/didn't live up to their big contracts.

Exhibit A. Stephen Jackson

Exhibit B. Robert Horry

Exhibit C. Glenn Robinson

Exhibit D. Bruce Bowen

Exhibit E. Brent Barry

All have rings with the silver & black.

batman2883
06-28-2005, 01:03 PM

Exhibit B. Robert Horry

Exhibit D. Bruce Bowen

Exhibit E. Brent Barry

Just remember Glenn Robinson was once a guy quoted as being a cancer of a team, and was also known as a non defensive player. Pop plugged him in as a role player, and the guy started blocking people playing defense, diving for loose balls, it all depends on the system your playing for.

AI-square
06-28-2005, 01:06 PM
No way will the Sixers waive Webber. Billy King said that Chris is very much part of the Sixers' plans. He may not be the player he used to be but the coaching staff seem to strongly believe that he will fit into the Sixers' system.

Apparently he's working hard to get his knee back in shape in the off season, so we'll see how he can perform next season.

Marcus Bryant
These guys are out because otherwise the team owners would have to pay double their contract.

I don't think the Spurs would turn down a Finley, Rose or Webber who was willing to play in SA for the MLE or whatever.

SWC Bonfire
Glenn Robinson was cut, Bruce Bowen was practically handed over whats your point??? That these guys can't produce with other teams?

Bruce wasn't signed for a max contract. He wasn't dumped because he was underproducing, he got cut because his game wasn't there at that early point in his career. You can't compare the two.

Glenn Robinson is a better argument, but I still don't think the Spurs should keep him long term. His attitude change is due to run out sometime soon.

batman2883
06-28-2005, 01:09 PM
Glenn Robinson is a better argument, but I still don't think the Spurs should keep him long term. His attitude change is due to run out sometime soon.

Glenn Robinson wanted a championship bad enough to change his attitude. I think that he could still hold that role playing position for at least one more year. He learned to play team ball not shoot first worry about your teammates later ball, once again it all depends on the system your playing under.

PM5K
06-28-2005, 01:45 PM
Webber's toast. I could see some young team picking him, but the Spurs don't need him, especially if they're bringing Scola in. The conventional wisdom is that he can pretty much do everything that Webber is able to do now without being overpaid and 73 years old.

Ha, ha, ha.

Scola will never put up 21 and 10 like C Webb did, and that's one leg and being seventy three years old...

SWC Bonfire
06-28-2005, 01:53 PM

Exhibit B. Robert Horry

Exhibit D. Bruce Bowen

Exhibit E. Brent Barry

White flag. I'm not arguing this anymore.

This coaching staff has shown equal ability to take old veterans and put them in to new roles in the system, and to develop new players and younger free agents in those roles. I would personally rather see the spurs pick up some young guys. That is my opinion.

baseline bum
06-28-2005, 02:20 PM
I've always hated Jalen Rose. I think he's way too selfish of a player to work here. Now Finley or Houston at the backup SF is intriguing as hell.

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2005, 02:21 PM
Spurs need depth at the 3. If Finley has an ego, GREAT. You want a guy who wants to come in and play his ass off. Someone who wants to win a title in order to show up Cuban.

batman2883
06-28-2005, 02:25 PM
Spurs need depth at the 3. If Finley has an ego, GREAT. You want a guy who wants to come in and play his ass off. Someone who wants to win a title in order to show up Cuban.

Totally agree with this comment i believe that Michael Finley would love to come to SA. My reasoning simply because he would have a chance to beat Dallas playing for the "other team" in Texas rivalry. Can you Imagine Finley coming off the bench and hitting some crucial jumpers in a clutch moment? I can't even think about it.

wesanity
06-29-2005, 12:04 AM
webber is the last thing the spurs need...another softie on the front court

CalsonicKansei
06-29-2005, 12:23 AM
I don't like Doug Christie because he sux. and I like the possiblility of signing Jalen or Michael.

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 12:25 AM
When do teams have to begin waiving the players for this clause? July 1? July 22?

slayermin
06-29-2005, 01:28 AM
Well, I would be extemely happy with Ratliff or Finley. As long as they are willing to fit into the system.

Spursdaone
06-29-2005, 02:36 AM
Webber is terrible ever since that injury. He wasn't exactly the reason Sacramento was so good either. It was Divac's passing and Christie's (when younger) defense that made them great along with their shooters.

boutons
06-29-2005, 07:17 AM
"When do teams have to begin waiving the players for this clause?"

Is this clause one-time, or can teams use it repeatedly?

Useruser666
06-29-2005, 07:47 AM
Uh, Webber would be great off the bench. Especially for the super cheap. I'd bet that he is too greedy to come here though.

GrandeDavid
06-29-2005, 08:26 AM
What sweet justice this season has been! Not only does Tim Duncan earn his third championship, but he overcomes the criticism of his quiet demeanor while media bitches Chris Webber and Kevin Garnett are without rings. Webber is just a bust and I remember how hyped he was a few years back. What sweet justice!

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 11:02 AM
Is this clause one-time, or can teams use it repeatedly?

One time.

weebo
06-29-2005, 12:13 PM
Why do you people want washed up players on the Spurs team? First Finely, then Ratliff, and now Webber.

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 12:14 PM
Why do you people want washed up players on the Spurs team? First Finely, then Ratliff, and now Webber.

Probably because they will be cheap role players. The Spurs already have their core and they don't have any cap room. So they'll fill up their roster with cheap veterans and/or young projects.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-29-2005, 12:48 PM
Kori - July 22. They have to mail out the new CBA to all the players, then they have to check yes or no and send their "vote" back in.

Spursdaone
06-29-2005, 01:56 PM
There's no way Webber can be a role player. He needs alot of shots to get in a rhythm and he will kill his team on defense. He sucks.

spur219
06-29-2005, 02:33 PM
What is this talk of Webber to the Spurs. He does not fit into the Spurs system in anyway. We don't need a 6'10 perimeter shooter.

midgetonadonkey
06-29-2005, 04:29 PM
Lots of rumblings in Detroit that we (Pistons) will be looking at him. Assuming he'd be a backup for us.

Could give us some much needed bench scoring, and can, if need be, play 1,2, or 3 spot......boy would need to work on his D though.

So you want Webber to run the point? Yeah that will work. :drunk

duncan_21
06-29-2005, 08:03 PM

I watched this guy with the bulls. He's a guy that if he could accept his role has a 3rd scorer or a bench guy AND would d up he isn't a bad player to have.

Problem with j rose is that he thinks he's a superstar. I watched him throw up brick after brick playing with the bulls.

If I"m contending I stay away from this guy.

duncan_21
06-29-2005, 08:24 PM
This question immediately went off in my head. Why the hell do we need another post player? We got timmy, rasho, nazr, and hopefully horry and scola. I think that if brown doesn't resign then the spurs need to look for a 3 who can d up off of the bench.

On a side note, has there been another talented big man that could have been better then he ended up, i.e nba career < talent other then shawn kemp. I still believe to this day that if kemp was a little smarter and played his game like td that he would be the best player to ever play the game.

He was all athletic ability and size and little fundamental. While webber settled for the 15-18 ft jumper instead of using his size and athleticism in the post. The funny thing is that it seems that td hits more midrange shots then webber ever did. C webb thought he could shoot was never really great at it. I remember alot of games where he kept missing his midrange jumper and killing the sac offense as the other team would grab the rebound and start a fast break.

Leetonidas
06-29-2005, 08:26 PM
Doug Christie in a Spurs uniform I'd love to see. He can shoot, and he's a great defender.

SequSpur
06-29-2005, 09:54 PM
Jalen Rose will be a Spur. I called it weeks ago.

Blow me.