PDA

View Full Version : Who here still has to make a trip to the Grocery Store?

reason
11-20-2012, 04:21 PM
I went early this morning at 6am and finished. No way I am going tonight or tomorrow. If we don't have it by now that is too bad.

CosmicCowboy
11-20-2012, 04:31 PM
I always have to go on Wednesday night and watch the youngsters wander in and buy one of the the last frozen turkeys that always weigh about 25#. They will know next year why I laughed and wished them good luck.

And yeah, I'll still make a couple trips more before turkey day. Thanksgiving dinner is a big deal at my house.

mrsmaalox
11-20-2012, 04:45 PM
I have to go at least one more time. And to the liquor store.

bus driver
11-20-2012, 04:54 PM
And to the liquor store.

:tu

hell ya, fuck going to heb or walmart the next few days.

Why?
11-20-2012, 06:02 PM
I always have to go on Wednesday night and watch the youngsters wander in and buy one of the the last frozen turkeys that always weigh about 25#. They will know next year why I laughed and wished them good luck.

And yeah, I'll still make a couple trips more before turkey day. Thanksgiving dinner is a big deal at my house.

If it is such a big deal why are you not better prepared?

DMC
11-20-2012, 06:06 PM
^ Why did you make so many shitty, useless and totally uninteresting and out of date trolls?

Why?
11-20-2012, 06:08 PM
^ Why did you make so many shitty, useless and totally uninteresting and out of date trolls?

Why do you ask such shitty, useless and totally uninteresting and out of date questions? Oh, and nobody asked you.

AmericanWoman
11-20-2012, 06:23 PM
I always have my Thanksgiving dinner list ready to avoid any last minute shopping.

RGMCSE
11-20-2012, 07:04 PM

Right there with ya! I bought 4 turkeys. 2 13lb's and 2 11lb's. I've been frying turkeys for 11 years since I lived in Georgia. The smaller turkeys are awesome to fry because they get packed with flavor and crisp perfectly. I can fry a larger turkey but it's more work and it takes longer. Plus its a bitch to take out of the oil without fucking it up. One of the 11lb's is going to be tailgate lunch at UTSA v Texas State.

AmericanPsycho
11-21-2012, 08:35 AM
Just got back from HEB. Wasn't bad yet and got what I needed.

Sportcamper
11-21-2012, 08:43 AM

What is wrong with a 25 lb frozen turkey? Are you talking about the defrosting time?

Sportcamper
11-21-2012, 08:44 AM
I have to go at least one more time. And to the liquor store.

I too make frequent runs to the liquor store...

CosmicCowboy
11-21-2012, 09:14 AM
Right there with ya! I bought 4 turkeys. 2 13lb's and 2 11lb's. I've been frying turkeys for 11 years since I lived in Georgia. The smaller turkeys are awesome to fry because they get packed with flavor and crisp perfectly. I can fry a larger turkey but it's more work and it takes longer. Plus its a bitch to take out of the oil without fucking it up. One of the 11lb's is going to be tailgate lunch at UTSA v Texas State.

Yeah, 12-13# is the biggest I will buy. If I need more i just cook more turkeys...my pit will hold 6... Also put a couple more in the freezer while they were on sale. Also LMAO at people paying $2 a pound for butterballs instead of .80 a pound for regular turkeys...ever cut a butterball open before you cook it? I don't know what that shit is they put inside them but it's damn sure not butter...

CosmicCowboy
11-21-2012, 09:16 AM
What is wrong with a 25 lb frozen turkey? Are you talking about the defrosting time?

Yeah,buying it at 10PM the day before Thanksgiving it's virtually impossible to thaw a 25# frozen turkey and have time to cook it by normal mid-day meal time...

CosmicCowboy
11-21-2012, 09:17 AM
I too make frequent runs to the liquor store...

I bought a couple of cases of decent wine at Costco to get us through the holiday.

Sportcamper
11-21-2012, 09:33 AM
This guy I know on the internet taught me about brining turkeys. Kosher salt & throw them in an ice chest for a few hours. The local meat manager at Albertson's uses his band saw to cut the Turkeys into 4 chunks. I just got two 24 pond birds. Brine, season, pump them up and throw them bone down on a radiant heat bar be que with apple chips. The birds come out juicy and the top is crispy. The youngsters prefer this over oven cooked or smoked turkeys…Not saying that they are as good as Texas smoked…It is a real compliment when my nieces and their friends pass on their Mom’s cooking and line up for 1st dibs on the crispy bar be qued Turkey…

Cochina
11-21-2012, 09:48 AM
Leaf your frozen turky in the trunk all day it will thaw enouuf to cook realy good tommorow!

mrsmaalox
11-21-2012, 09:50 AM

I learned to love fried turkeys from living in Georgia too. Thanksgiving Day Turkey Fry was all the VFW's biggest fundraiser. Those old guys would line up dozens of those fryers in their parking lot and folks would come by with their turkeys. They'd be there drinking beer, watching football, and just shooting the shit with people all day. There'd always be a line of cars waiting.

mrsmaalox
11-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Leaf your frozen turky in the trunk all day it will thaw enouuf to cook realy good tommorow!

You're gonna cook? I thought you'd be taking your 7 illegitimate brats downrown to the Convention Center for a free turkey dinner.

RonPopeil
11-21-2012, 09:53 AM

Set it and forget it!

RGMCSE
11-21-2012, 10:51 AM
I learned to love fried turkeys from living in Georgia too. Thanksgiving Day Turkey Fry was all the VFW's biggest fundraiser. Those old guys would line up dozens of those fryers in their parking lot and folks would come by with their turkeys. They'd be there drinking beer, watching football, and just shooting the shit with people all day. There'd always be a line of cars waiting.

That's awesome! I actually learned from a co-worker. He had a turkey fryer that could fry 3 25# turkeys at once. I paid attention to the way he seasoned them and a few tips about frying. Then I took the reigns from their on. It takes practice to get them right. They didn't always come out perfect early on. But now every year there right on point. I also like smoking my turkey but one year I tried to smoke a 25#'er and I passed out drunk on the couch. I woke up in a panic the next morning worrying about the damn turkey. Luckily it cooked all the way through without burning. Maybe CC can give some pointers on smoking a bird...

lebomb
11-21-2012, 11:05 AM
Saw a dude throw a frozen turkey into a hot fryer..........damn near blew up the westside.

RGMCSE
11-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Saw a dude throw a frozen turkey into a hot fryer..........damn near blew up the westside.

LOL! That bird better be thoroughly thawed and wiped down. That oil looks nice and calm at 300 degrees. Throw one drip of water in there and it's like MT.fucking Everest.

jeebus
11-21-2012, 11:19 AM

let em keep doing that. it'll weed out the weak links in the species.

Cochina
11-21-2012, 11:20 AM
You're gonna cook? I thought you'd be taking your 7 illegitimate brats downrown to the Convention Center for a free turkey dinner.

I am, but me Abuela gonna cook one for lefovers.

Set it and forget it!
:tu

That was my Unle Carlos! :lmao

CosmicCowboy
11-21-2012, 01:00 PM
LOL! That bird better be thoroughly thawed and wiped down. That oil looks nice and calm at 300 degrees. Throw one drip of water in there and it's like MT.fucking Everest.

Mt. Everest?

http://ericbolz.com/everest/everest_west_view.jpg

baseline bum
11-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Can't be as bad as going to HEB on the first of the month. If my shelves are empty on the first it's a Whataburger day lol.

Creepn
11-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Best to just get invited to dinners and you wouldn't have to worry about all that bullshit.

Bringing liquor will always get you invited back.

RGMCSE
11-22-2012, 01:31 AM
Mt. Everest?

http://ericbolz.com/everest/everest_west_view.jpg
Lol, oops! I meant Mt St Helens. http://blog.seattlepi.com/thebigblog/files/library/mountsthelens250.jpg