PDA

View Full Version : I'm Rooting for James Anderson

Embedded
11-21-2012, 02:27 PM
He's back in silver & black, and that makes him our guy. You know, it's a testament to the Spurs' organization, they have really treated people right. I remember how devestated I was when they traded George Hill away, but I realized it was to Indianapolis, George's home town and likely the place he would want to go most, and have the greatest chance of success at, and the most support. That was no accident, that's how the Spurs do things. And here's James Anderson, another chance with the Spurs, who never burned the bridge there, either, I think the Spurs went over and above to give James an opportunity to have NBA career. That is something that I really admire about this organization, they go against the norms and really do the right things at all levels.

So welcome back, James, and believe me, the Spurs organization would love nothing more that for you to prove them wrong for not signing you.

GO JAMES GO

hooperflash
11-21-2012, 02:39 PM
Good post man.. Anyone know what number he'll wear?

Mel_13
11-21-2012, 04:00 PM
Good post man.. Anyone know what number he'll wear?

DapDaGenius
11-21-2012, 04:09 PM
He's back in silver & black, and that makes him our guy. You know, it's a testament to the Spurs' organization, they have really treated people right. I remember how devestated I was when they traded George Hill away, but I realized it was to Indianapolis, George's home town and likely the place he would want to go most, and have the greatest chance of success at, and the most support. That was no accident, that's how the Spurs do things. And here's James Anderson, another chance with the Spurs, who never burned the bridge there, either, I think the Spurs went over and above to give James an opportunity to have NBA career. That is something that I really admire about this organization, they go against the norms and really do the right things at all levels.

So welcome back, James, and believe me, the Spurs organization would love nothing more that for you to prove them wrong for not signing you.

GO JAMES GO

I'm really hoping Anderson can "wow" the fans and especially the people of SpursTalk. I mean, Leonard got injured THEN Jackson gets injured.....come on.....he has to REALLY prove himself chances like this don't come by often. He has to make everything count. I'm pulling for him though. I hope he has improved, but to be honest I'm surprised they didn't give Witherspoon another chance.

swaggerjackson
11-21-2012, 04:27 PM
He is a good guy but he is a band-aid. I don't even think he will see heavy minutes unless it is the second night of a back to back. Ginobili and Green will cover the small forward position. Neal and De Colo will get more minutes at the two, and Patty will back up tony. If anyone is playing terrible then CoJo or Anderson will be inserted accordingly. Anderson is a good guy, I wish him the best; and the Spurs are a first class organization top to bottom. But I don't think this will change the direction of Anderson's career nor the Spurs season. They just need somebody until Kawhi and Jax are back.

Obstructed_View
11-21-2012, 06:56 PM
I don't recall anyone NOT rooting for him. I imagine even those predicting that he'd fail would have been happy to see him prosper with the Spurs.

BillMc
11-21-2012, 07:08 PM
All these points are spot on. Spurs are class organization, and James is a really good guy. I'm rooting for him big time as the OP is, but as other say we should be realistic. He won't see much time. The best thing that can happen for James is he shows enough on the court that some other team picks him up after we're done. Yeah, I hope he sticks with us but that's a long shot.

elemento
11-21-2012, 08:35 PM
I am rooting for him as well, but my expectations are really low.

DrSteffo
11-22-2012, 10:17 AM
He basically played like shit but im rooting for him too.

FromWayDowntown
11-22-2012, 10:26 AM
I remember how devestated I was when they traded George Hill away, but I realized it was to Indianapolis, George's home town and likely the place he would want to go most, and have the greatest chance of success at, and the most support. That was no accident, that's how the Spurs do things.

I completely agree with your premise, but if Kawhi Leonard had been drafted by Sacramento or Toronto, the Spurs would have dealt George to either of those places to get him. I don't think that deal was ever one intended to send George home. It was fortunate that in dealing for Kawhi, George could get back to Broadripple.

Brazil
11-22-2012, 10:37 AM
I'm rooting for all the players that wear a spurs jersey, I'm not a CoM member.

urunobili
11-22-2012, 09:29 PM
I'm rooting for all the players that wear a spurs jersey, I'm not a CoM member.

:rolleyes

Juggity
11-23-2012, 12:48 AM

GO JAMES GO

Not sure I agree with you on the "treating everyone right" stuff vis a vis the George Hill trade or any other trade the Spurs make. It was much more a business decision than a "let's send GH back to his home state just to be nice" decision. Realistically, that was probably the highest picking team that would have traded a draft pick for an undersized, middling tweener guard. The Spurs would have just as willingly sent Hill to the Rockets or the Suns if either of those teams were interested in making the trade.

Think back to when Bruce Bowen was traded to Milwaukee. Hardly a situation that anyone would call "treating Bruce Bowen right" after 8 years of stellar defensive service and clutch play that helped deliver 3 championships. The FO wanted Richard Jefferson, and they were willing to do what they had to do to get him.

ChuckD
11-23-2012, 01:12 PM
Not sure I agree with you on the "treating everyone right" stuff vis a vis the George Hill trade or any other trade the Spurs make. It was much more a business decision than a "let's send GH back to his home state just to be nice" decision. Realistically, that was probably the highest picking team that would have traded a draft pick for an undersized, middling tweener guard. The Spurs would have just as willingly sent Hill to the Rockets or the Suns if either of those teams were interested in making the trade.

Think back to when Bruce Bowen was traded to Milwaukee. Hardly a situation that anyone would call "treating Bruce Bowen right" after 8 years of stellar defensive service and clutch play that helped deliver 3 championships. The FO wanted Richard Jefferson, and they were willing to do what they had to do to get him.
??? Bruce was never going to play for Milwaukee. It was purely a salary fit, and saved MIL some cash. If we hadn't traded him, SA would have been the ones buying him out for half salary. SA does that all the time. They did it with Ferry in 2003 as part of the Mercer Trkoglu trade and he came back to work in the front office. They also tried it with Dice, but there were no takers. I'm sure when they do the contract, they tell the guys that the last year partial salary is likely a nice parting gifts.

The Spurs really DO try to do right by guys. I remember when they traded Daniels, they made sure not to send him to shitsville. They also provided extensive medical care to two Euros who never ended up here in Giricek and that big Lithuanian they drafted in 2001 who could jump out of the gym.

Embedded
11-24-2012, 10:25 PM
Okay, the Spurs play in Corey Joseph's home town Sunday. If I remember right, it's the Spurs Way to give him some playing time in front of his home crowd.

Paranoid Pop
11-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Okay, the Spurs play in Corey Joseph's home town Sunday. If I remember right, it's the Spurs Way to give him some playing time in front of his home crowd.

Last year the Raptors game was the kiss of death for Corey, we were on our way to a blow out win until he got in and we then immediately gave up something like 15 point the following minutes.

Besides Bonner didn't get to play in front of his home town and we have already 3 players rotating at back up PG but if they extended him they must believe he improved a lot...

Paranoid Pop
11-29-2012, 11:28 PM
Hopefully he gets the opportunity to make a case for himself, liked what I saw tonight.

DMC
11-29-2012, 11:38 PM
James was great, but someone needs to remember how he was wanting to be traded last season and how shitty he got over time. You shouldn't have to threaten someone's livelihood in order to get decent play from them.

ChuckD
11-30-2012, 12:26 AM
James was great, but someone needs to remember how he was wanting to be traded last season and how shitty he got over time. You shouldn't have to threaten someone's livelihood in order to get decent play from them.

He was what, 21 or 22 last year? His dream had just been dashed when they declined his 3rd year option. I'm thinking a quiet back channel trade request is NOT unreasonable under those circumstances. No one in the organization seemed to hold it against him. Not sure why you do.

MR-Clutch
11-30-2012, 12:36 AM
•He was efficient: 9 points on 2 shots, 4 boards, 3 assists, and an amazing block, with a +9.
•He showed the confidence from his first year, and no to mention it looks like he lost a lot of upper body weight and looks proportional.
•He gets into the lane easier than green does.

I know its a small sample size but I think we have to at least play him a little more and see if he's back, and if he is we should extend him.

Fireball
11-30-2012, 06:04 AM
The block and the reverse layup were amazing ... both things were not there last season ... props to Anderson ... keep him until we can get an even better player

Manufan909
11-30-2012, 07:05 AM
I love how Anderson has yet to make a thunderous dunk as a Spur, because he keeps getting fouled on the attempt. I want Splitter to go hard like that more often, even though he was awesome while being finesse against the Heat.

Bruno
11-30-2012, 07:25 AM
James Anderson was a #20 pick that looked absolutely terrific early in his rookie season. If you remember it, he even looked better than Gary Neal. After few games, he broke his fifth metatarsal and was never the same. Fifth metatarsal injuries are no jokes and have been basically career ending injuries for some players.

Now, the question With James Anderson is if that game is some kind of fluke or is if he is finally getting over his foot injury both physically and mentally. Pop should give him some significant minutes in the next few games to see if his rebirth is real.

Obstructed_View
11-30-2012, 08:09 AM
James Anderson was a #20 pick that looked absolutely terrific early in his rookie season. If you remember it, he even looked better than Gary Neal. After few games, he broke his fifth metatarsal and was never the same. Fifth metatarsal injuries are no jokes and have been basically career ending injuries for some players.

Now, the question With James Anderson is if that game is some kind of fluke or is if he is finally getting over his foot injury both physically and mentally. Pop should give him some significant minutes in the next few games to see if his rebirth is real.

I agree. Last night was the closest I've seen to using the word "explosive" to describe JA since his injury.

Fireball
11-30-2012, 08:47 AM
James Anderson was a #20 pick that looked absolutely terrific early in his rookie season. If you remember it, he even looked better than Gary Neal.

I remember that every time I see James Anderson. It was really tragic, he hit 10/20 three pointers before his injuries and looked legit on defense at the SF position. I remember Dick Vitale predicting James Anderson as the sleeper rookie and he might have been right if not for that foot injury.

ChuckD
11-30-2012, 08:59 AM
The block and the reverse layup were amazing ... both things were not there last season ... props to Anderson ... keep him until we can get an even better player

As a d-league callup, I don't believe he would be tradeable unless he were to agree to a sign and trade. The other team could just wait until the Spurs callup ended.

cd98
11-30-2012, 09:00 AM
Last night was the best overall game I've seen him play. And I don't think he got swatted.

silverblackfan
11-30-2012, 10:24 AM
It was the most explosive I have seen him since the foot injury. I would love to see the guy get back his mojo and build on this last game. I also think the Spurs are not going to need him once Leonard and Jackson are back.

spurspokesman
11-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Good for James. Hope he builds on it.

timvp
11-30-2012, 11:51 AM

To be fair, the Spurs did the same thing to Danny Green. They had Green two seasons ago but they didn't think he took the game seriously enough since he was lackadaisical about practice and didn't put in the extra work. Releasing him and letting him sit at his dad's home without a job or job offers coming in sparked his hunger. When they brought him back, it was a different story.

James Anderson felt similar pain after getting cut by the Hawks and relegated to the D-League. There's no motivator better than desperation.

Seventyniner
11-30-2012, 11:58 AM
To be fair, the Spurs did the same thing to Danny Green. They had Green two seasons ago but they didn't think he took the game seriously enough since he was lackadaisical about practice and didn't put in the extra work. Releasing him and letting him sit at his dad's home without a job or job offers coming in sparked his hunger. When they brought him back, it was a different story.

James Anderson felt similar pain after getting cut by the Hawks and relegated to the D-League. There's no motivator better than desperation.

The question is then: will Anderson respond as well as Green did? If Anderson can become a useful backup SF, it could make trading Jax easier ifthe Spurs decide they need a high-salary shakeup trade.

8FOR!3
11-30-2012, 01:03 PM
One thing I remember about James Anderson pre injury was not only how underrated his defense was, but more specifically he was a great shot blocker against perimeter players. That's a pretty special trait for a 6'6 natural shooting guard if his explosive back.

If he could turn into that player he was going to be, he could fill the shooting guard role post Manu Ginobili.

silverblackfan
11-30-2012, 01:21 PM
The question is then: will Anderson respond as well as Green did? If Anderson can become a useful backup SF, it could make trading Jax easier ifthe Spurs decide they need a high-salary shakeup trade.

Trading Jackson still seems like a desperation move to me, despite his large contract. He brings a hell of a lot to the table beyond the stats. Having Richard Jefferson on the team for the past few years should make that apparent to everyone.

Fireball
11-30-2012, 02:33 PM
As a d-league callup, I don't believe he would be tradeable unless he were to agree to a sign and trade. The other team could just wait until the Spurs callup ended.

I did not mean to get rid of him via trade, just to waive him in January if we need an open roster spot ...

Obstructed_View
11-30-2012, 03:07 PM
One thing I remember about James Anderson pre injury was not only how underrated his defense was, but more specifically he was a great shot blocker against perimeter players. That's a pretty special trait for a 6'6 natural shooting guard if his explosive back.

If he could turn into that player he was going to be, he could fill the shooting guard role post Manu Ginobili.

You sure you're not thinking of Mailk Hairston?

hater
11-30-2012, 03:09 PM
I'm sure a lot of teams put not only Anderson, but Mills, DeColo of course Splitter in their radars.

:lol Pop using the NBA and Heat as advertisement of his trade assets

fucking genius

DMC
11-30-2012, 04:54 PM

Good point and Chuck put it best last night when he said something like "all these guys were stars somewhere at some point in their lives". It's probably hard to go from semi-local star to trying to prove yourself again and these guys might feel their past accomplishments will pay dividends for them in the NBA. They find out that they are wrong.

Either way, James looked pretty damn good once he got going. Hell, Jeremy Lin was right about where James is right now, about to be released.

DMC
11-30-2012, 04:56 PM
He was what, 21 or 22 last year? His dream had just been dashed when they declined his 3rd year option. I'm thinking a quiet back channel trade request is NOT unreasonable under those circumstances. No one in the organization seemed to hold it against him. Not sure why you do.

Wasn't too quiet if we knew about it. You don't request a trade mid season unless you're Finley.

wildbill2u
12-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Anderson seems to be playing better after losing some weight and getting more experience in other venues. Not tearing the league up, but playing hard and trying to 'earn his Spurs' spot in the rotation.

Just wondering what the consensus is about keeping him on for the rest of the season--always allowing for his inclusion in some remotely possible blockbuster trade. I'd especially like to hear the evaluation of Bruno and TimVP and some of the other folks who are serious about their evaluations and have proved themselves to have some chops in that regard.

Bruno
12-06-2012, 04:21 PM
I think James Anderson is a solid player in a lot of areas. He hasn't some outstanding ability but he plays hard and most importantly he plays the right way. What will it make or not a keeper is his shot. Strangely his shooting has been the part of his game that has been the most affected by his foot surgery. He hasn't taken enough shots during the games with Spurs to know whether or not he found his shooting touch back but Spurs should know better about it since they see him practicing.

Even if Anderson is good enough to be kept, part of the equation is whether or not Spurs need a player like this. They have currently 9 perimeter players with most of them being good. They don't really have the need to keep him.
What could change the deal for Anderson is if Spurs do some kind of trades. I especially really think Spurs face a dilemma regarding Neal. When everybody will be healthy, Spurs will have to decide between underplaying him as a 3rd string SG, playing him out of position as backup PG or using his trade value to get something in return for him.

ace3g
12-06-2012, 05:20 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/121206_anderson

bigfan
12-06-2012, 05:24 PM
First time Ive heard the guy speak; uhh, well maybe he's brighter than he sounds.

wildbill2u
12-06-2012, 05:26 PM
I think James Anderson is a solid player in a lot of areas. He hasn't some outstanding ability but he plays hard and most importantly he plays the right way. What will it make or not a keeper is his shot. Strangely his shooting has been the part of his game that has been the most affected by his foot surgery. He hasn't taken enough shots during the games with Spurs to know whether or not he found his shooting touch back but Spurs should know better about it since they see him practicing.

I especially really think Spurs face a dilemma regarding Neal. When everybody will be healthy, Spurs will have to decide between underplaying him as a 3rd string SG, playing him out of position as backup PG or using his trade value to get something in return for him.

Interesting comment on Neal. It seems to me that he is a more consistent shooter than Green at long range--and can even make layups or pull up for floaters or short jumpers--something that Green seems totally unable to do most of the time. The difference seems to be defense and rebounding, but I notice that Neal is making strides on D and lately has been rebounding well.

Pop seems to be finding time for all these guys by shuffling them around to different positions pretty successfully.

Ditty
12-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Anderson was everything Green was supposed to be, just a better shot creator. So far his passing and defense have overachieved but like they mentioned his shot is no longer existent. He could be a nice back up SG or SF for the future if his shooting becomes at least average, and isn't as heisitant.

racm
12-06-2012, 07:34 PM
One thing I like about his second stint is that he's playing more within the flow of the game and is forcing things less.

Mark in Austin
12-06-2012, 07:38 PM
... it could make trading Jax easier ifthe Spurs decide they need a high-salary shakeup trade.

As long as the Spurs think they have a shot at making the finals and facing the Heat, Jack isn't going anywhere. He'll be one of the main guys defending LeBron. (Read someplace LeBron thinks he's crazy.)

TD 21
12-06-2012, 07:54 PM

Even if Anderson is good enough to be kept, part of the equation is whether or not Spurs need a player like this. They have currently 9 perimeter players with most of them being good. They don't really have the need to keep him.
What could change the deal for Anderson is if Spurs do some kind of trades. I especially really think Spurs face a dilemma regarding Neal. When everybody will be healthy, Spurs will have to decide between underplaying him as a 3rd string SG, playing him out of position as backup PG or using his trade value to get something in return for him.

They need Ginobili to look closer to how he did before the playoffs last season and for someone else to emerge as a capable fourth scorer, to give up Neal. That or for a can't refuse offer to be made, which is unlikely.

spurraider21
12-06-2012, 08:40 PM
If Anderson can keep playing the way he is, both with his defensive effort and newfound ability to NOT be invisible on offense (along with consistently hitting wide open jumpers) he could replace Jax at a much cheaper rate

ChuckD
12-06-2012, 11:40 PM
Anderson was everything Green was supposed to be, just a better shot creator. So far his passing and defense have overachieved but like they mentioned his shot is no longer existent. He could be a nice back up SG or SF for the future if his shooting becomes at least average, and isn't as heisitant.

He's shooting 50% and 50% from three.

Tuddy
12-07-2012, 01:02 AM
Most intriguing thing is he looks pretty comfortable when he puts it on the floor just seems too passive to want to take the shot or finish at the rim

therealtruth
12-07-2012, 01:45 AM
I remember when he got us excited with his first six games in '10.

tp2021
12-08-2012, 09:36 AM
He looked dead in the water over the summer. BUt is it just me, or does it seem like his athleticism is slowly coming back? He's already leaped for a few blocks in game action and almost threw down an alley oop last night. If he can get back to where he was before his foot injury, or at least close to it, I'd be as excited about him now as I was at the beginning of his rook campaign.

CGD
12-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Interesting comment on Neal. It seems to me that he is a more consistent shooter than Green at long range--and can even make layups or pull up for floaters or short jumpers--something that Green seems totally unable to do most of the time. The difference seems to be defense and rebounding, but I notice that Neal is making strides on D and lately has been rebounding well.

Pop seems to be findings time for all these guys by shuffling them around to different positions pretty successfully.

Neal's future is confounding. One would think that he is the odd man out given the depth of the team, but he just continues to put up big scoring numbers. On the one hand you say trade him, but on the other you worry about losing his production and relentless tenacity on offense (at least I do).

When KL and SJax return I see the spurs experimenting with a lot of small ball where those guys will play the 4. It's just where the NBA has been heading in recent years. In that situation keeping Neal makes sense especially where you can use him with Nando and Manu in the second unit, and he can avoid pg duties.

CGD
12-08-2012, 10:22 AM
He looked dead in the water over the summer. BUt is it just me, or does it seem like his athleticism is slowly coming back? He's already leaped for a few blocks in game action and almost threw down an alley oop last night. If he can get back to where he was before his foot injury, or at least close to it, I'd be as excited about him now as I was at the beginning of his rook campaign.

I agree. He's had some nice blocks and his d has been stout.

Ice009
12-08-2012, 10:23 AM
Gary and Sjax both bring an edge to the team. Gary is a killer shooter who can score in bunches. I think he brings confidence to his teammates around him. He shoots with confidence and never lets the previous shot affect him, make or miss. I really would not want to trade him.

debo
12-08-2012, 10:55 AM

Im glad he went on with his career professionally and didn't burn any bridges, because EVERYONE really liked what they saw from him pre-injury and its beginning to look like he's at least headed in the right direction now. Also, having him at the small forward will allow Jack more time at the 4 and give our front court more flexibility.

weebo
12-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Gary Neal is not going to get traded just so JA can stay on the team. That is just plain retarded.

Darkwaters
12-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Are there any specifics on James Anderson's contract? I know it's a fairly standard, non-guaranteed, minimum deal. But does it include a team option for a second year or is this it?

If, in January when contracts become guaranteed, the Spurs think hes still got a future in the NBA, I might consider holding onto him (if that second year is available on his contract). They saw something in him they liked once. If hes found a resurgence then, why not?

ChuckD
12-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Are there any specifics on James Anderson's contract? I know it's a fairly standard, non-guaranteed, minimum deal. But does it include a team option for a second year or is this it?

If, in January when contracts become guaranteed, the Spurs think hes still got a future in the NBA, I might consider holding onto him (if that second year is available on his contract). They saw something in him they liked once. If hes found a resurgence then, why not?

ESPN trade machine has it for one year. Doesn't matter, though. If he plays the year out, that will be his third with the Spurs, giving them full Birds if they want to use them.

Bruno
12-09-2012, 09:33 AM
ESPN trade machine has it for one year. Doesn't matter, though. If he plays the year out, that will be his third with the Spurs, giving them full Birds if they want to use them.

Yep, from various soruces (espn, realgm...), it seem that James Anderson is signed for only this season. His contract is non-guaranteed and , like for the other non-guaranteed contracts, Spurs have until January 7th to waive him before it became fully guaranteed.

Spurs won't have full Birds right on him this summer. Anderson has signed with Atlanta earlier this year and it resets the Bird rights clock. However, he will be restricted if Spurs make a qualifying offer to him.

Bill_Brasky
12-09-2012, 09:41 AM
Doing a fine job of toeing the line between trying to do too much and being too passive. Has shown some impressive leaping ability. Should have had an oop last night if they had seen him cutting. Defense and shot looks a lot better.

I say keep.

timtonymanu
12-09-2012, 10:02 AM
I would rather the Spurs save the last spot in case a big gets waived. At the same time, it's hard to let go of Anderson. He seems to be figuring things out now.

ChuckD
12-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Anderson gives you trade flexibility to ship out a guard or a wing as a trade "sweetener". If the Spurs want to make a big trade, they will almost certainly have to send out many for one, or many for few, in terms of players. Our contracts just aren't very big.

Raven
12-09-2012, 10:51 AM
he actually looks seriously good. His D, leaping ability and shot blocking was not fluky at all.. His shot making perhaps was, but I say keep him in the D league and sign him to a multiyear minimum or something like that. CJ, Anderson, Kawhi, Splitter and Green look a lot like a young defensive small lineup that could make some noise..

callo1
12-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Keep him!!!

JA has his legs back, and I wish the bench would pass to him more when he is in. He is on a short list for the most athletic player on the team. If it wasn't for some injuries, I believe JA would be well on his way to establishing himself.

I was and still am a JA fan.

BackHome
12-09-2012, 09:51 PM
If it wasn't for breaking his foot I think he would easily be starter material and not looking to stay in the league. But unless the Spurs know they are going to do a trade I don't think they will keep him.

Darkwaters
12-10-2012, 06:22 AM
The Spurs have made a habit for the last several years to shop the D-League once 10 days start, and try and find a hidden gem. Really, with the exception of Danny Green, they haven't found just a whole lot of success in that venture.

But regardless, the Spurs have consistently gone back to the hole, looking for players in the minors. While they have looked for bigs at times in the NBDL (Pops Mensah-Bonsu, Malcolm Thomas, Eric Dawson) it has been much more common for them to search for shooting guards and small forwards (Larry Sanders, Marcus Dentmon, Danny Green, Marcus Williams, Alonzo Gee, Da'Sean Butler, Derrick Byars, Othyus Jeffers, Steve Novak, Dermarr Johnson, Keith Langford, Jeremy Richardson). You can say that this a result of them having needed depth on the wings for years (and not in the post), but I would argue that the Spurs just think you're more likely to find overlooked talent at those positions in the D-League as opposed to bigs. Quality bigs are hard to find, but capable swingmen are less so.

So, with that being said, the Spurs have long established a precedent that they like to keep roster spots open and fill them with fringe NBA players - often so they can work with them over the summer and reassess during camp the following year. Following that model, James Anderson seems to be an obvious candidate to fill that role. This is especially true when you consider that the offseason could easily see the departure of Gary Neal and Patty Mills, two low-cost wing players. A player like Anderson would be an obvious candidate to fill those voids (if they do in fact leave). Add in also, the added benefit that Anderson knows the system already and has proven that hes not just a long-term "hopeful" but can actually contribute, to a degree, now.

The one major wrench that gets thrown into this thought process is the trade deadline and the buyout period that will follow it. If the Spurs think they're likely to make a move it could factor into Anderson's favor either in the positive or negative depending on the exact thoughts of the team. More likely though, is that the team thinks they can improve by acquiring this years version of Boris Diaw after he gets bought out. To do that, the team will need the roster spot that Anderson is filling. This could mean that Anderson is cut and the team considers the available players that reenter the market. That doesn't mean that the Spurs couldn't strike out in this regard and then return to Anderson again later, locking him up for the rest of the season (a la, Danny Green a couple years ago).

Once Kawhi and Jack get back, we'll probably get a much better idea. And by January 7th we should know definitively.

spurraider21
11-13-2013, 09:25 PM
he's having a huge game in Philly tonight

spurraider21
11-13-2013, 09:27 PM
:lol and just tied the game with a 3 pointer with 6 seconds to go

hater
11-13-2013, 09:29 PM
:lmao Rin

bklynspursfan
11-13-2013, 09:48 PM
Anderson has a career high 36 points, hit 2 clutch free throws in OT. Happy to see him having a great game :tu

wildcardX
11-13-2013, 09:56 PM
Any chance of a Nando for Mr. Anderson trade?

Obstructed_View
11-13-2013, 10:03 PM
Been following his progress with the Sixers this year. Couldn't be more pleased about anything non-Spurs related tbh.

barakz21
11-13-2013, 10:05 PM
Is it just me or did Anderson lose a LOT of weight? He looks a lot skinnier this year

bklynspursfan
11-13-2013, 10:12 PM
Was really excited when we had him, but injuries really became a problem. He showed a lot of promise... So glad he's getting it together now

Ice009
11-13-2013, 10:20 PM
Was really excited when we had him, but injuries really became a problem. He showed a lot of promise... So glad he's getting it together now

I'm glad he's gotten chances from other teams to show that he can play. He very easily could have been passed over and not had another chance in the NBA. I really liked James when he was here, was hoping that he could get it together, but I guess that injury has taken a long while for him to get back from.

blkroadrunners
11-13-2013, 10:25 PM
Hopefully he builds on his performance, and show it wasn't a fluke putting up 36 points.

spurraider21
11-13-2013, 10:32 PM
King James, tbh :lol

bklynspursfan
11-13-2013, 10:37 PM
I'm glad he's gotten chances from other teams to show that he can play. He very easily could have been passed over and not had another chance in the NBA. I really liked James when he was here, was hoping that he could get it together, but I guess that injury has taken a long while for him to get back from.

Yea I still remember his first game back with us from his first injury, he looked aggressive with the ball, and on defense he had a nice block and really looked like a complete player. Unfortunately he just could not stay healthy. And what's even better for him, is he's with a coach who he is familiar with and who probably knows there is some potential there.

SpurPadre
11-13-2013, 10:48 PM
He wasn't a bad guy but it was his dumb **** of a girlfriend (wife?) who made him look bad when she took to twitter to bash the team for not playing him.

sasffl
11-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Keep staying healthy and knockdown 3ps, and back to SA, haha

lefty
11-13-2013, 11:00 PM
yeah

ace3g
11-13-2013, 11:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTnZbJYnaLE

Ice009
11-13-2013, 11:19 PM
He wasn't a bad guy but it was his dumb **** of a girlfriend (wife?) who made him look bad when she took to twitter to bash the team for not playing him.

I never heard anything like that. When was this? His rookie year? second year?

BillMc
11-13-2013, 11:19 PM
Been following his progress with the Sixers this year. Couldn't be more pleased about anything non-Spurs related tbh.

Agree.

SpurPadre
11-13-2013, 11:31 PM
I never heard anything like that. When was this? His rookie year? second year?

It happened during his second year with the team. He was already in the doghouse before that happened and pretty much sealed his fate with the team.

team-work
11-14-2013, 12:07 AM
36 points!?

Glad that he has got healthy, and the chance to prove himself. During his stint with the Spurs, he never said anything negative when he suffered the major injury and cut by the team, iirc. Hope he keep it up and reach his potential.

On the other hand, luckily we at least have Danny Green.

Baam
11-14-2013, 12:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTnZbJYnaLE

Fap fap fap... Lol Philly's FO thinking they could do some real tanking with MCW injured. Lol Rockettes.

Hoops Czar
11-14-2013, 03:52 AM
When he came back from injury, Pop never gave him the time of day. Never even attempted to get him involved. Yet, he'll keep Nando around with his piss poor attitude and his D-league talent, and for what?

Fireball
11-14-2013, 06:45 AM
Saw most of the overtime and it was really nice to see Mr. Anderson having success with Philly ... hopefully he follows this one up!

exstatic
11-14-2013, 08:32 AM
When he came back from injury, Pop never gave him the time of day. Never even attempted to get him involved. Yet, he'll keep Nando around with his piss poor attitude and his D-league talent, and for what?

Anderson was terrible when he came back. He was terrible to start his second season. His option wasn't picked up because Danny was BALLING. The End. Or, not quite. Queue last season. Both Kawhi and Jack go down. Anderson re-signs and plays well in 10 games. He gets a shot with Houston afterwards, and is traded to Philly and has an even better shot at rotation minutes. Yeah, Pop really hates this guy.

Did Pop shoot your dog or something?

racm
11-14-2013, 08:35 AM
Anderson was terrible when he came back. He was terrible to start his second season. His option wasn't picked up because Danny was BALLING. The End. Or, not quite. Queue last season. Both Kawhi and Jack go down. Anderson re-signs and plays well in 10 games. He gets a shot with Houston afterwards, and is traded to Philly and has an even better shot at rotation minutes. Yeah, Pop really hates this guy.

Yeah, I remember Neal then Green taking his spot. Either he was hurt or he was outplayed by an undrafted combo guard or an unheralded second-rounder.

Glad to see him do well in Philly, though... I imagine being familiar with Brett Brown and the Spurs sets helps him too.

Embedded
11-14-2013, 08:45 AM
Wow, that's great to see!!!!!

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
11-14-2013, 08:58 AM

I wouldn't say that. Remember he broke his foot, then he injured an ankle, then he had some hamstring issues. Despite all his setbacks, the guy never stopped trying. He played well his last stint with the Spurs. He even played well with Houston. But Green's play basically sealed his fate with this team.

I am not surprise Brett Brown wanted him. He was the Spurs player development coach and he has done a nice job of implementing James into the Sixer's offense this year.

racm
11-14-2013, 09:09 AM
I wouldn't say that. Remember he broke his foot, then he injured an ankle, then he had some hamstring issues. Despite all his setbacks, the guy never stopped trying. He played well his last stint with the Spurs. He even played well with Houston. But Green's play basically sealed his fate with this team.

I am not surprise Brett Brown wanted him. He was the Spurs player development coach and he has done a nice job of implementing James into the Sixer's offense this year.

I wasn't surprised he became the Sixers' starting SG too.

exstatic
11-14-2013, 09:17 AM

It's a nice sentiment, but the Sixers traded for Anderson before they hired Brown to be their coach. It was more of a favor by their GM to Houston (his former employer) to take some of their salary so they could sign DH12.

Indazone
11-14-2013, 10:04 AM
This is another guy out of the blue. Can Anderson keep this up? Hope so. Would be another rags to riches feel good story.

exstatic
11-14-2013, 10:08 AM
This is another guy out of the blue. Can Anderson keep this up? Hope so. Would be another rags to riches feel good story.

Actually, he was a first round pick, #20 overall in 2010. Not exactly "out of the blue".

kobyz
11-14-2013, 10:50 AM
How we let this baby go?! Stupid organization!! How I wish we had him right now instead of that Marco Polo kid!!!

ajballer4
11-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Wow that was a really tough shot to force OT too. Really like that Sixers roster

look_at_g_shred
11-14-2013, 12:30 PM
Actually, he was a first round pick, #20 overall in 2010. Not exactly "out of the blue".
Sure, yet also a "forgettable" first round pick.

bdictjames
11-14-2013, 12:46 PM
36 points against the Rockets.

exstatic
11-14-2013, 01:55 PM
Sure, yet also a "forgettable" first round pick.

"Out of the blue" is Gary Neal, never drafted, bounced around Europe and made an NBA playoff team rotation at age 25. First round picks are "reclaimed" every year by other teams. That's not news or unusual.

Hoops Czar
11-14-2013, 05:25 PM

Should I try speaking in your native language or is this just a reading comprehension thing? Reread my post and tell me again where I said Pop hated James Anderson. The whole point of signing prospects is to watch them develop. When the team is constantly picking 20th or later in the draft, you're pretty much assured that those picks are projects at best. Is your idea of development to watch a player sink or swim for a year, then, cast them aside like yesterday's garbage? The guy showed progress prior to the injury and was never given a fair shake when he returned unless you count his 4th quarter entrance's into blow outs. Danny Green played just 8 games in the 2010-11 season so that part of your argument is flat out laughable. By the time Green started BALLING, Anderson was already out of the rotation.

The moral of exstatic's story is that its OK to waste roster spots with garbage talent like De Colo but heaven forbid using that slot for a draft pick in development like Anderson. The Spurs aren't a team that can just buy talent whenever it becomes available. They have to work hard at developing their talent so when the time comes, you aren't stuck in rebuilding mode for five or six years. It sure would be nice to have a versatile wing man who could backup Leonard at SF.

elemento
11-14-2013, 05:43 PM
GL to him

Even though he had a great game, he doesn't play like this every game. Philly fans complain about the same issues that he had here. Too slow, cannot create his own shot and his ball-handling skills are still poor.

He is a great shooter and great shooters can have a big day when they're on. Neal had several great offensive games with us.

LonghornMike
11-14-2013, 05:59 PM
This kid could score since college. 24ppg, 1st team All-American and Big 12 player of the year as a junior. Playing defense at an NBA level was always going to be his key for development. If anyone remembers what he looked like in those first few weeks before he got injured in SA, he was blocking shots and putting himself in good position despite his limited athleticism. I think he can carve out a role in the rotation for a good NBA team. But relying on him as a scorer and playing two ways as a good defender, that might be a bridge too far for him at the moment

exstatic
11-14-2013, 07:33 PM
Should I try speaking in your native language or is this just a reading comprehension thing? Reread my post and tell me again where I said Pop hated James Anderson. The whole point of signing prospects is to watch them develop. When the team is constantly picking 20th or later in the draft, you're pretty much assured that those picks are projects at best. Is your idea of development to watch a player sink or swim for a year, then, cast them aside like yesterday's garbage? The guy showed progress prior to the injury and was never given a fair shake when he returned unless you count his 4th quarter entrance's into blow outs. Danny Green played just 8 games in the 2010-11 season so that part of your argument is flat out laughable. By the time Green started BALLING, Anderson was already out of the rotation.

The moral of exstatic's story is that its OK to waste roster spots with garbage talent like De Colo but heaven forbid using that slot for a draft pick in development like Anderson. The Spurs aren't a team that can just buy talent whenever it becomes available. They have to work hard at developing their talent so when the time comes, you aren't stuck in rebuilding mode for five or six years. It sure would be nice to have a versatile wing man who could backup Leonard at SF.
OK

I like James and hate Nando, but they have the same problem: they were (or are) buried on the depth chart. They only kept Nando because there was no option to pick up. He was guaranteed this year. James wasn't guaranteed for year 3 going into year 2 and he was the fourth string SG. They didn't pick up his option. Nothing he did in year 2 made that look like a mistake. Not a damn thing. Then, lo and behold, Pop gave him another chance last year, picking him up when Kawhi and Jack went out. He played well in 10 games and earned another NBA shot.

Not sure why you're still obsessing about this when we have Manu, Beli, and Green at SG.

TJastal
11-16-2013, 07:14 AM
Should be interesting to see what Anderson does with his promotion to the starting unit in Philly, since he had about every chance in the world to make himself the spurs starting SG and did diddlysquat each time.

I'm guessing history will repeat itself there as it did here.

Chinook
11-16-2013, 11:58 AM
Anderson started at the two to begin 2011-2012. So it's not like Pop didn't give him the chance. The truth is that James was flat-out horrible. There was no way Pop could justify keeping him in the SL and he didn't even seem to deserve to have his option picked up. Green meanwhile was awesome in limited minutes. He took the spot from Anderson over the course of a couple of months of thoroughly outplaying him. Then Manu came back, and there was simply no room for him in the rotation. Compounding that was that he was awful in garbage time.

I wish they would have kept him. They probably would not have needed to sign Belinelli in the off-season and could have kept the MLE in their back pocket. But it's not like Anderson would be anything more than the ninth or 10th man. Don't be tricked by his game against Houston. He regressed big time against Atlanta.

cjw
11-16-2013, 01:32 PM

Can't look at it all in a vacuum. Spurs made this move in January 2012 when they still were burdened with the RJ deal (an extra year than SJax's) and he would have tied up a roster spot in 2012-13, as would have the #1 pick they gave up to move RJ. Manu, Green, Neal, RJ and Kawhi were all ahead of him for wing minutes, so he wasn't getting a chance to develop that year, especially given the shortened lockout season.

Now he shows his first sign of life almost two years later.

I'm not a De Colo fan but he wasn't in the picture yet at that point. Reason he's still around is because he's still under contract. First taker that offers anything of value, and he's out the door.