PDA

View Full Version : 76ers: Bynum likely out for the year

Riddler
11-21-2012, 04:40 PM
PHILADELPHIA -- The 76ers let Andrew Bynum break the news about the latest setback with his damaged knees on Friday, then acted as if they weren’t sure what was going on with the guy they’re paying $16.5 million this season.

The truth is that the 7-foot, 285-pound former All-Star center who has yet to play a game as a Sixer may be out for the season and will learn in December, at the earliest, whether he’ll require surgery that could sideline him for up to a year.

If that’s the case, the market value for the soon-to-be unrestricted free agent is likely shot.

One internationally respected orthopedic surgeon, who is not involved with Bynum’s treatment and has not seen his MRIs, told The News Journal that all of the information that has been released by the player and the Sixers points to a likely diagnosis of osteochondritis dessicans lesions. The surgeon said that if this is the case, there’s a small chance that Bynum’s knees could heal sufficiently on their own in time for him to return for the playoffs this season, but called that scenario “wishing on a star.”

“While they can heal non-operatively, they can take a long time [four to six months] to heal, and in adult athletes, frequently they will require surgical intervention at some point if there isn’t adequate healing within the first several months of treatment,” the surgeon said.

He added that if the 25-year-old returns to the court too early and the lesions become large enough, the condition could become career threatening. The surgeon spoke on condition of anonymity because Bynum is not his patient, but this probable diagnosis, given the player’s symptoms and treatment thus far, is backed up by reams of medical literature.

On Friday, Bynum for the first time seemed genuinely, publicly worried about his long-term health as he described “a little bit of a setback.”

He said a bone bruise in his left knee has developed, identical to the bone bruise in his right knee that has kept him from playing and practicing since the Sixers acquired him from the Los Angeles Lakers in a four-team deal in August. The Sixers shipped All-Star swingman Andre Iguodala to the Denver Nuggets, while the Lakers received center Dwight Howard from the Orlando Magic.

http://www.delawareonline.com/proart/20121119/sports03/121118014/exclusive-evidence-shows-76ers-bynum-likely-out-season?pagerestricted=1

jeebus
11-21-2012, 04:40 PM
:lmao

Venti Quattro
11-21-2012, 04:41 PM
Just glad that the Lakers won't have to deal with this.

Riddler
11-21-2012, 04:43 PM
Just glad that the Lakers won't have to deal with this.

You lucky mf'er you

tee,hee

purplengold
11-21-2012, 04:43 PM
RIP career of potential best center of 2010-2015

LkrFan
11-21-2012, 04:54 PM
Oden might come back before Bynum. Damn.

Richie
11-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Terrible time for him to pick up a season long injury, I wonder how much he will get in free agency come the end of the season

Will anyone be stupid enough to give him the max? I imagine someone will give him at least $10m/year, they'll either be getting a bargain or dead weight.

baseline bum
11-21-2012, 05:08 PM
LOL, guess Orlando was better off not trading for Capt Glass Knee.

Riddler
11-21-2012, 05:12 PM
Terrible time for him to pick up a season long injury, I wonder how much he will get in free agency come the end of the season

Will anyone be stupid enough to give him the max? I imagine someone will give him at least $10m/year, they'll either be getting a bargain or dead weight.
Bynum better have saved up nicely because he's not stepping foot onto a basketball court again.

Richie
11-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Bynum better have saved up nicely because he's not stepping foot onto a basketball court again.

No chance, he will almost certainly get another contract next season. The guy was an all star last year, at least one GM will be willing to take the gamble.

Riddler
11-21-2012, 05:17 PM
No chance, he will almost certainly get another contract next season. The guy was an all star last year, at least one GM will be willing to take the gamble.

I'm not saying no one will take a chance, I'm saying he won't be able to play again.

baseline bum
11-21-2012, 05:27 PM
I bet he gets a two year max deal.

Richie
11-21-2012, 05:45 PM
I bet he gets a two year max deal.

I wonder if the Spurs would be interested in that. We need to get some front court help, he is better than the likes of Millsap or Jefferson who would likely require a long term contract around 5 years which would hurt our rebuilding after Timmy retires.

Could pay off massively but it's a big gamble with Timmys last 2 years.

Bynumite
11-21-2012, 05:47 PM
At this point he's trolling the 76ers, traded to Philly, hasn't played a single game yet, scheduled to start playing early next year, re-injures his knee while bowling and now he's out for the year.

And nowadays, with the lack of quality big man around the league, he can get paid big money anywhere.

I like his game but i'm glad the Lakers won't have to deal with his injuries no more... LAL FO put in work tbh.

LkrFan
11-21-2012, 05:54 PM
He's not getting a max deal when he returns. At this point, will his next contract even be insurable? Amare 2.0

baseline bum
11-21-2012, 06:02 PM
He's not getting a max deal when he returns. At this point, will his next contract even be insurable? Amare 2.0

And Amare got a long term max deal.

Raven
11-21-2012, 06:05 PM

that's what you get for dealing with the fakers.. they faked bynum's health

Richie
11-21-2012, 06:08 PM

Worst contract in the NBA at this point. If a GM gives anything like that to Bynum they should get fired. Wouldn't be surprised to see it happen though.

LkrFan
11-21-2012, 06:09 PM
Oh I know that. I'd be willing to bet the Knicks regret giving him that deal. And I'm sure other teams will learn from NY's mistake and say hell no to a Bynum max deal. Especially considering his health issues he's always had with his knees.

LkrFan
11-21-2012, 06:10 PM

<---- see avatar. :lol

baseline bum
11-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Oh I know that. I'd be willing to bet the Knicks regret giving him that deal. And I'm sure other teams will learn from NY's mistake and say hell no to a Bynum max deal. Especially considering his health issues he's always had with his knees.

Did NY learn after watching Orlando blow all that money on Grant Hill? NBA GMs never learn. Glass Knee will get a deal for max money per year, though he might not get max years.

Raven
11-21-2012, 06:18 PM
<---- see avatar. :lol

don't you think you got the wrong one?

djohn2oo8
11-21-2012, 06:39 PM
One internationally respected orthopedic surgeon, who is not involved with Bynum’s treatment and has not seen his MRIs, told The News Journal that all of the information that has been released by the player and the Sixers points to a likely diagnosis of osteochondritis dessicans lesions. The surgeon said that if this is the case, there’s a small chance that Bynum’s knees could heal sufficiently on their own in time for him to return for the playoffs this season, but called that scenario “wishing on a star.”

“While they can heal non-operatively, they can take a long time [four to six months] to heal, and in adult athletes, frequently they will require surgical intervention at some point if there isn’t adequate healing within the first several months of treatment,” the surgeon said.

He added that if the 25-year-old returns to the court too early and the lesions become large enough, the condition could become career threatening. The surgeon spoke on condition of anonymity because Bynum is not his patient, but this probable diagnosis, given the player’s symptoms and treatment thus far, is backed up by reams of medical literature.

djohn2oo8
11-21-2012, 06:40 PM
Bynum said he’s experiencing pain and swelling in both knees, but that his low-impact workouts in the pool and on the elliptical are “not degrading the cartilage, as far as I know.” He called it a “weird issue” that intensified since he last spoke with reporters last Monday. He since returned to visit his longtime orthopedist, Dr. David W. Altchek of the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York, to have an MRI on both knees. Bynum said there is no issue with his ligaments or surrounding meniscus.

Altchek did not immediately respond Sunday to a request seeking comment and confirmation of the diagnosis of osteochondral lesions, which can form in joints when the bone underneath gets weakened, such as in the case of Bynum’s bone bruises. The bruised bone then starts to crack, and if it gets too weak and collapses, the cartilage sitting on top becomes unsupported and collapses, too.

Bynum and the Sixers are hoping that his bone bruises, underneath the now-weakened cartilage, begin to heal on their own and create a stronger foundation. But the condition will worsen with additional trauma, hence Bynum suggesting Friday that he may give up working out on the elliptical and, for the time being, confine his exercise to the pool.

pass1st
11-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Sounds like Bynum is one injury away from retirement, not even kobe's german procedure with dead babies injected to his knees will fix it.

Clipper Nation
11-21-2012, 08:29 PM

lolknicks

Cry Havoc
11-22-2012, 12:49 AM
Worst contract in the NBA at this point.

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nba/players/full/974.png&w=350&h=254

Wat u say

Venti Quattro
11-22-2012, 12:54 AM
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nba/players/full/974.png&w=350&h=254

Wat u say
in China already iirc

Latarian Milton
11-22-2012, 03:22 AM
bad news for baby andrew knowing that it is contract year for him. had his contracted expired this year he would've earned himself a lucrative contract similar to the one agent 0 got :cry

djohn2oo8
11-22-2012, 09:44 AM
in China already iirc

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/media/USATODAY/gameon/2012/11/21/2012-11-21-tmac-4_3_r560.jpg?f061b7ce9937c38b702e6f308816ac2a14e2a 4ec
http://www.alleniversonlive.com/wp-content/gallery/2012/002-china.jpg

Brazil
11-22-2012, 10:35 AM
Lakers are some lucky bastards tbh

rascal
11-22-2012, 10:53 AM
The Lakers front office pulled a fast one by exchanging this guy with Howard. That is why the laker front office is the best in the league.

Venti Quattro
11-24-2012, 07:13 PM
Out indefinitely... http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8671136/andrew-bynum-philadelphia-76ers-indefinitely

D12
11-24-2012, 07:35 PM
Just tha greatest franchise avoiding the potential injury bads with baby drew. Nothin more need be said

AaronY
11-24-2012, 08:14 PM
in China already iirc

Arenas is but his contract isn't. Even though he was amnestied someone is still paying out his contract just not the luxury tax iirc

Koolaid_Man
11-24-2012, 08:35 PM

Now let's put it all in perspective...

Kobe basically won back 2 back with a big man with glass knees. This revelation only reveals how legendary Kobe really is. Plus Bynum was willing to play on glass knees for Kobe. Once he left he fell apart..

Same can be said for all ex Lakers. Once they leave Kobe they can't function. Case in point:

Bynum
Odom
Ariza
Caron
Barnes
Fisher
Vujacic
Farmar
Shaq
I could go on and on.

D12
11-24-2012, 08:38 PM
Now let's put it all in perspective...

Kobe basically won back 2 back with a big man with glass knees. This revelation only reveals how legendary Kobe really is. Plus Bynum was willing to play on glass knees for Kobe. Once he left he fell apart..

Same can be said for all ex Lakers. Once they leave Kobe they can't function. Case in point:

Bynum
Odom
Ariza
Caron
Barnes
Fisher
Vujacic
Farmar
Shaq
I could go on and on.
nigga Kool droppin truth bomb

Kai
11-24-2012, 08:54 PM
How does a team justify signing him to a max deal at this point? It will happen.

SpursDynasty
11-25-2012, 04:11 PM
This is all just a ploy to go back to the Lakers.

purplengold
11-25-2012, 04:15 PM
i hear spurs needa center, Bynum gon bring business ta whataburger