PDA

View Full Version : When KG is 90...

ChuckD
11-21-2012, 09:53 PM
He's still going to be having nightmares about Duncan.

Owning on KG from 1997-2012

BillMc
11-21-2012, 09:54 PM
+1 million

timvp
11-21-2012, 09:54 PM
:lolnly one ring.

ChuckD
11-21-2012, 10:00 PM
The T'Wolves owner should be furious with Tim. He essentially chased KG out of town and the Western conference for that matter.

Kidd K
11-21-2012, 10:00 PM
Not to be a party pooper since I don't even like KG, but KG historically does pretty well against Duncan.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=duncati01&p2=garneke01

timvp
11-21-2012, 10:03 PM
Not to be a party pooper since I don't even like KG, but KG historically does pretty well against Duncan.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=duncati01&p2=garneke01
Duncan has won 30 of 49 all-time matchups. Dominant, tbh.

ChuckD
11-21-2012, 10:03 PM

Tim does as well or better and wins the games/division titles/playoff series.

Budkin
11-21-2012, 10:08 PM
Nothing is possible!

TDMVPDPOY
11-21-2012, 10:14 PM
out of all the h2h matches, i like the one where duncan sat out with the flu for half of the game only to play in the 2nd half beating KGS ass with a double double to finish teh game with the win

elemento
11-21-2012, 10:21 PM
KG with 3 rebounds in the game :lmao

TMTTRIO
11-21-2012, 10:23 PM
He will never forget this :). It's a shame that Manu's gone down hill this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCqefcY7lpI

TD 21
11-21-2012, 10:24 PM
:lol Spurs fans who claimed Garnett was better than Duncan last season.

spurraider21
11-21-2012, 10:33 PM
I know its just 1 regular season game and both men are way past their primes, but watching the game tonight made me say to myself "Garnett just got 'Olajuwon'ed"

Chinook
11-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Yeah, Duncan has been the better player, both when they were young and now that they are old. But they would've made such an awesome pair if they had been able/willing to team up. Even though they're old, I think the Spurs would become the favorites in at least the West if they managed to find a way to trade for KG.

freetiago
11-21-2012, 11:05 PM
garnett is still one of the best pick and roll defenders in the league and he can hit a mid range shot
if he was on the spurs we would be title favorites
game compliments each other perfectly

racm
11-21-2012, 11:20 PM
KG with 14 pts 3 rbs 1 ast
TD with 20 pts 15 rbs 4 ast

OWNED

Kidd K
11-21-2012, 11:25 PM

Yeah I know, just saying statisically KG was good. That doesn't make him a "winner" though. :P

Tbh, I don't think he learned to play team ball until late in his career. He was always the guy looking to stuff his stats, but not actually help his teammates. Now he plays "right", but he can't put up the same numbers anymore.

McGusto55
11-22-2012, 12:00 AM
[QUOTE=timvp;6204998]:lolnly one ring.[/QUO

nuff said.....

Poolboy5623
11-22-2012, 12:17 AM
I've always had a huge distaste for kg..especially in the mn days. I'll say it, I disliked him more than shaq and that's saying a lot! I honestly didnt remember too many big games where kg came out on top of Timmy. That's basic ownage 101. And the cherry on top is Timmy became the greatest pf of all-time during that ownage.

Obstructed_View
11-22-2012, 12:23 AM

Funny that Robinson won 32 of 48 all-time against Hakeem, but people don't think the word "dominant".

Ice009
11-22-2012, 12:46 AM
Yeah I know, just saying statisically KG was good. That doesn't make him a "winner" though. :P

Tbh, I don't think he learned to play team ball until late in his career. He was always the guy looking to stuff his stats, but not actually help his teammates. Now he plays "right", but he can't put up the same numbers anymore.

Not really, Kevin Mchale said KG was too unselfish.

timvp
11-22-2012, 12:49 AM
Funny that Robinson won 32 of 48 all-time against Hakeem, but people don't think the word "dominant".

Not to mention one of those two players missed the play:lolffs in his prime.

It's a wonder what playing with some of the clutchest shooters in the history of the game can do for the legacy of a bigman, tbh.

racm
11-22-2012, 12:59 AM
Not to mention one of those two players missed the play:lolffs in his prime.

It's a wonder what playing with some of the clutchest shooters in the history of the game can do for the legacy of a bigman, tbh.

Well, Duncan can also thank Horry... :)

Sean Cagney
11-22-2012, 01:42 AM
out of all the h2h matches, i like the one where duncan sat out with the flu for half of the game only to play in the 2nd half beating KGS ass with a double double to finish teh game with the win

My fave is when we were flat out blowing MINNY out and KG got them both ejected lol, that night was hilarious! He was so mad they were getting blown out he gets them both ejected.

TDMVPDPOY
11-22-2012, 02:42 AM

thats cause the oxymorons think the 2 year peak championship runs, his been playing like that his whole career, when everyone knows first half of his career he was posting up meaningless stats for himself

Obstructed_View
11-22-2012, 03:04 AM

That's a nice way of saying he's not clutch.

Kidd K
11-22-2012, 03:48 AM

spurraider21
11-22-2012, 07:59 AM
im pretty sure KG put up 5 assists per game or more for 6 straight years and 4 assists per game for 10 straight years on the wolves. he's a very willing passer and an awesome team defender... far from selfish tbh. he even had a season averaging 6 assists per game. for comparison's sake, 6 assists per game would also be a career high for kobe.

i think everyone on this forum knows TD>KG, but lets not say KG is just some guy who was putting up big numbers. best wolves team he ever played with had sprewell and sam cassell, both past their primes. had teams with rasho and sczcerbiak too.

Ice009
11-22-2012, 09:05 AM
That's a nice way of saying he's not clutch.

Basically, what I was trying to say is that KG wasn't a ball hog. Mchale also pretty much said that KG isn't clutch in that same interview. I think it was shortly after he traded KG that he gave that interview. He said that if you don't runt he offense through KG he will score about 22 points, if you do run the offense through him he'll still only score about 24 points. He said KG isn't someone like Tim Duncan or Manu Ginobili where you can pass the ball to them in the last 5 minutes of the game and have them carry you to the win. He said KG is not that type of player.

JRHernandez88
11-22-2012, 01:10 PM
We are not worthy :worthy:

He might even be responsible for all these superstar teams, if it wasn't for KG leaving Minnesota to have a chance with other hof's, then Lebron might still be in Cleveland. People act like Miami was the first team to do it & forget it was Boston.

ChuckD
11-22-2012, 03:03 PM
We are not worthy :worthy:

He might even be responsible for all these superstar teams, if it wasn't for KG leaving Minnesota to have a chance with other hof's, then Lebron might still be in Cleveland. People act like Miami was the first team to do it & forget it was Boston.
Boston was the first to go external for a big three, but we built ours from scratch five years earlier, and they are in their 11th season together. Yet another Spurs creation other feel compelled to copy.

JRHernandez88
11-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Yezir

BadOne
11-22-2012, 05:26 PM
Boston was the first to go external for a big three, but we built ours from scratch five years earlier, and they are in their 11th season together. Yet another Spurs creation other feel compelled to copy.

Truth.

People hated on Miami for building a team with 3 players who were lottery picks and were already all-stars when signed since they didn't have one guy they could build around and could lead a team on his own. People forget, Boston was the first one who did that with KG, Ray and Pierce.

Sure everyone knew who Duncan was coming out of college, but nobody ever heard of a Tony Parker or an Emanuel Ginobili when this team was put together. Our big three was built from the ground up with a clear leader who has led his team to championships.

Man In Black
11-22-2012, 07:15 PM
What's crazy is that officially, Manu didn't get credit for the block.

007nites
11-22-2012, 08:42 PM
2004 in KG's MVP year Timmy dropped 36, 20, and 7 on his ass.

BadOne
11-22-2012, 10:22 PM
2004 in KG's MVP year Timmy dropped 36, 20, and 7 on his ass.

And we would've smoked em had the dreaded .04 never happened.

Fireball
11-23-2012, 04:01 AM
Truth.

People hated on Miami for building a team with 3 players who were lottery picks and were already all-stars when signed since they didn't have one guy they could build around and could lead a team on his own. People forget, Boston was the first one who did that with KG, Ray and Pierce.

Its not that comparable, as Allen, Garnett and Pierce were not all in their prime anymore when they united in Boston ... it still was enough to win a championship ...

Obstructed_View
11-23-2012, 09:04 PM
The Celtics traded for KG and Allen. Lebron and Bosh and Wade were all free agents and colluded to go to the same team.

rascal
11-24-2012, 12:29 AM
KG will not make it to 90.

rascal
11-24-2012, 12:32 AM
Truth.

Sure everyone knew who Duncan was coming out of college, but nobody ever heard of a Tony Parker or an Emanuel Ginobili when this team was put together. Our big three was built from the ground up with a clear leader who has led his team to championships.
The Spurs build their team through the draft. And that is not necessarily a good thing since it is the only way they build their team. It is much better if a team can use trades, free agency and the draft to build a team. Trades and free agency build championship teams at a quicker rate. Except for an occasional role player addition through trade the Spurs top players are all their draft picks.

letmk
11-24-2012, 01:01 AM
The Celtics traded for KG and Allen. Lebron and Bosh and Wade were all free agents and colluded to go to the same team.

Contrary to what media are bit$hing about, I don't see any differences. Just because it's the players, not the owners/managers doing this, then it becomes a bad thing?

If you are a small market team fan or a general NBA fan, and you want to see a balanced league, either way it's marking a bad trend of a few super teams and the remaining washed-up teams. So you need cap, luxury tax or other CBA rules to make it harder to happen --- although the Lakers, Knicks, etc. are not being deterred at all since they can make more money easily.

And more often than not, a super team is made from the Boston way (small-market teams trade their Gasols for potato chips) rather than the Miami way (free agents colluding). So we, as small-market team fans, actually need to be alert about the former more.

Obstructed_View
11-24-2012, 03:35 AM
Contrary to what media are bit$hing about, I don't see any differences. Just because it's the players, not the owners/managers doing this, then it becomes a bad thing?

If you are a small market team fan or a general NBA fan, and you want to see a balanced league, either way it's marking a bad trend of a few super teams and the remaining washed-up teams. So you need cap, luxury tax or other CBA rules to make it harder to happen --- although the Lakers, Knicks, etc. are not being deterred at all since they can make more money easily.

And more often than not, a super team is made from the Boston way (small-market teams trade their Gasols for potato chips) rather than the Miami way (free agents colluding). So we, as small-market team fans, actually need to be alert about the former more.

You don't see the difference between making trades and free agent signings? The Spurs could have traded for KG and Ray Allen, as could any team that had the right parts to make the trades happen. It's not remotely the same thing. If owners and managers were colluding to get players to a single team, then it would be equally bad. Danny Ainge took some risks and gave up some talent to get those guys back. They were lucky to have Rondo develop the way he did and that guys like Ray Allen committed to defense in order for it to work out.

letmk
11-24-2012, 05:58 AM
You don't see the difference between making trades and free agent signings? The Spurs could have traded for KG and Ray Allen, as could any team that had the right parts to make the trades happen. It's not remotely the same thing. If owners and managers were colluding to get players to a single team, then it would be equally bad. Danny Ainge took some risks and gave up some talent to get those guys back. They were lucky to have Rondo develop the way he did and that guys like Ray Allen committed to defense in order for it to work out.

To be honest, I didn't get what you are trying to say. My point is clear, both Miami way and Boston/Lakers way are BAD to smaller teams like Spurs. But I don't think the Lebron way is worse, unless of course you just hate Lebron the player for whatever reason.

Plus, if using the Spurs as an example, they never get to sign any "popular" free agents. So from a selfish perspective as a Spurs fan, we don't really need to worry about free agents as they'd rather pick Warriors or Clippers over us.

jdiggy0424
11-24-2012, 07:24 AM
Boston made there "super team" the right way by giving up a good amount of talent for KG (top 5 pick + Al Jeff and other pieces). Lebron and Bosh pussied out from their respective teams in order to ring because they couldn't get it done alone.

There's a right way to making a super team and a wrong way. Teams like Miami and LA that get gold handed to them for virtually nothing are the teams we should be pissed off at.

letmk
11-24-2012, 12:03 PM
Boston made there "super team" the right way by giving up a good amount of talent for KG (top 5 pick + Al Jeff and other pieces). Lebron and Bosh pussied out from their respective teams in order to ring because they couldn't get it done alone.

There's a right way to making a super team and a wrong way. Teams like Miami and LA that get gold handed to them for virtually nothing are the teams we should be pissed off at.

The right way? If it's Boston Spurs and San Antonio Celtics, don't you think it would be the Spurs who can give some "valuable" assets, to the Wolves for KG? A combination of All-star Ginobili, the rights to Scola & Splitter, and a first round etc, is definitely not worse, if not better than what the Wolves got.

Also, don't ever think the big stars have no say in what they are going even when they are under contracts. Paul and Howard didn't go to their first choice of Lakers and Nets --- the Stern interference or the grudge by the owners toward them --- but if they (and their agents) didn't give blessings to the Clippers and the Lakers, there is no way the trade would ever happen.

So even though those superstars cannot freely decide exactly which team they can go as what Lebron did as a free agent, they can definitely limit their choices to the few big teams they like.

Biggems
11-24-2012, 12:29 PM
The KG I remember in Minnesota was the guy who, when his team needed a go to guy in the 4th, was quite passive on the offensive end. On the defensive end, he looked a natural. However, on the offensive end, he looked clumsy and awkward, timid, and often shied away from the ball.

Ice009
11-24-2012, 09:36 PM
The KG I remember in Minnesota was the guy who, when his team needed a go to guy in the 4th, was quite passive on the offensive end. On the defensive end, he looked a natural. However, on the offensive end, he looked clumsy and awkward, timid, and often shied away from the ball.

Yep. When Kevin McHale traded KG, he basically said that you can't pass the ball the KG in the last 5 minutes of the game and have him win that game for you. He said that you can pass the ball to Tim Duncan or Manu in the last 5 minutes of the game and have them win it for you, but that KG was not that type of player.

Anyone remember a game against the Spurs where Kevin passed the ball to Dean Garrett for the shot to win the game? Dean Garrett missed the shot and the Wolves lost the game. I still have no idea why KG wouldn't take the shot himself.