View Full Version : Democrats report no abuse at Gitmo

CaptainHook
06-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Democrats report no abuse at Gitmo

By Stephen Dinan
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
June 28, 2005

http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20050628-121155-4623r.htm

Two Democratic senators just back from reviewing U.S. detention facilities and interrogations at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, said they saw no signs of abuse and said it would actually be worse to close the facility and transfer the detainees elsewhere.
"I strongly prefer the improved practices and conditions at Camp Delta to the outsourcing of interrogation to countries with a far less significant commitment to human rights," said Sen. Ron Wyden, Oregon Democrat, who toured the U.S. facility along with Sen. Ben Nelson, Nebraska Democrat.
The two Democrats were joined on the trip by two Republicans, Sen. Jim Bunning of Kentucky and Sen. Michael D. Crapo of Idaho.
Their characterization contrasts with critics, including Democratic Party leaders, who have called for the camp to be closed as a bruise on America's human rights record.
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi of California called for a commission to document abuses at Guantanamo and worldwide, while the No. 2 Democrat in the Senate, Richard J. Durbin of Illinois, two weeks ago compared interrogation tactics at Guantanamo to those used during the Nazi and Soviet regimes.
"The United States, which each year issues a human rights report holding the world accountable for outrageous conduct, is engaged in the same outrageous conduct when it comes to these prisoners," Mr. Durbin said at the time, citing an FBI agent's e-mail detailing some of the tactics to which the agent objected.
But the four returning senators, in separate Republican and Democrat press conferences yesterday, said they saw no evidence of ongoing abuse.
"Everything we heard about operations there in the past, we'd have to say, was negative. What we saw firsthand was something different," Mr. Nelson said.
Mr. Bunning said he observed six separate interrogations, and only one detainee was questioned while in restraints. Four of the six detainees spoke to their interrogators, and the other two refused to answer questions. The interrogators were usually women, and the translators were usually men, Mr. Bunning said.
Mr. Crapo said of the 70,000 people captured and detained globally in the war on terror, only 800 have been taken to Guantanamo. Many of those have been released or moved to other facilities, leaving 520 at Camp Delta.
He said there have been 400 visits by 1,000 reporters to the facility and that nearly 20 senators, a larger number of House members and 100 congressional staff members have visited the camp.
A delegation from the House of Representatives made a similar trip during the weekend, and one member reported similar findings.
"The detainees' meal was as good as any I had in my 31 years of Army Guard service, and I can see why the prisoners this year gained five pounds over last year," said Rep. Joe Wilson, South Carolina Republican.
Asked how they knew they were seeing real operations rather than a staged display, both Republican and Democratic senators said that they had access to everything and that they trusted the troops they talked with from their own states.
The Democrats did agree with Mrs. Pelosi's call for better-defined rules about who should be detained at Guantanamo.
"You have this state of legal limbo where it's not clear what the rules are," Mr. Wyden said. "The fact is it's a process that is not taking place in accord with any federal statute considered or debated by Congress."
But the two Republicans maintained the problem is not in the way the United States defines the detainees, saying they are treated as well as or better than the Geneva Conventions would require for prisoners of war.
Mr. Crapo said the U.S. definition combines directives from the president and the secretary of defense and Supreme Court rulings about the legal options available to detainees.
He said it is now up to the international community to decide on standards of treatment for detainees who do not qualify for prisoner-of-war status and fall outside of regular law-enforcement options.
"I don't think any such agreement would ultimately result in a higher standard; it might result in an agreed standard," Mr. Crapo said.

Clandestino
06-28-2005, 11:02 AM
hmmm...maybe we should close it and transfer these guys to pakistan or egypt of saudi where they will be tortured and killed..

SWC Bonfire
06-28-2005, 11:11 AM
New photos of Abu Gharib abuse are scheduled to be released this week. Among them are rumored to be pictures of rape of women and children by interrogators, but they got rice pilaf and 3 squares a day, so there.

Nbadan
06-28-2005, 02:18 PM
hmmm...maybe we should close it and transfer these guys to pakistan or egypt of saudi where they will be tortured and killed..

The rendition of hostages to torture prone countries has become the new modus operandi for this administration. So there is less need for torturing prisoners in Gitmo and Abu Gharib. Most of the prisoners in these facilities are low-level fighters. Many of whom were sold out by opposing war lords in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Just look at the situation in Italy where the U.S. used investigative work by the Italians, work that could have led to the arrest of even more militants, but the U.S. went into a sovereign country and kidnapped the main source of the Italian investigation. Throwing years of Italian undercover work into the toilet.

Vashner
06-28-2005, 04:10 PM
The original Gitmo camp is already rusting over. They already upgraded it to a modern facility. I am sure it sucks but it's a lot better than getting say YOUR HEAD CUT OFF...

Do mulims give a bible in english and 3 square meals + treats? And a matress and pillow?

Nbadan
06-28-2005, 04:38 PM
The original Gitmo camp is already rusting over. They already upgraded it to a modern facility. I am sure it sucks but it's a lot better than getting say YOUR HEAD CUT OFF...

Yeah, Yeah, it’s always back to the 'a little torture' is better than getting your head cut off argument. Never mind that every time a case of torture is verified the U.S. loses a little more of its moral high-ground from which we preach to other countries about wrongful imprisonment and torture.

The U.S. should give the prisoners that it already has in custody military trials, If they are found guilty with fair representation then they should face the consequence of their actions, but holding prisoners indefinitely without any type of legal recourse, without their country or their families knowing what has happened to them is just plain wrong and un-American.

Clandestino
06-28-2005, 05:36 PM
stfu and go suck some terrorist's dick

desflood
06-28-2005, 06:06 PM
Every single detainee currently being held at Guantanamo Bay has received a hearing before a military tribunal. Every one. As a result of those hearings, more than three dozen Gitmo detainees have been released. The hearings, called "Combatant Status Review Tribunals," are held before a board of officers, and permit the detainees to contest the facts on which their classification as "enemy combatants" is based.

Nbadan
06-28-2005, 06:47 PM
The hearings, called "Combatant Status Review Tribunals," are held before a board of officers, and permit the detainees to contest the facts on which their classification as "enemy combatants" is based.

Tell me, did the prisoners have representation, either military of otherwise?

Clandestino
06-28-2005, 07:43 PM
being caught on the battlefield pretty much means you are guilty...

desflood
06-29-2005, 10:04 AM
Yes, they are all provided military attorneys.

mookie2001
06-29-2005, 10:14 AM
ok
im still waiting for all their trials

i want to do a report on it for school, its just taking too long

The Ressurrected One
06-30-2005, 08:52 PM
They're detainees...not prisoners...they're not entitled to squat until we say so.

Nbadan
07-02-2005, 03:29 AM
They're detainees...not prisoners...they're not entitled to squat until we say so.

Well then, turnabout would be fair-play. Following your logic, if Oh, I don't know, let’s say that a International Court at the Hague found certain influential American's guilty of starting an illegal war and killing 100,000’s of Iraqi’s in the process (I mean, why should the war on terror be limited to America’s enemies, right?) , it would be OK for the U.N. to send in clandestine troops and forcefully extradite these citizens to Mexico or some South or Central American country for 'questioning' and never inform our government or their families what happened to them, what charges they are accused of, when they will be tried, if ever, nor under what circumstances they will be tried, if ever.

The Ressurrected One
07-02-2005, 02:25 PM
Well then, turnabout would be fair-play. Following your logic, if Oh, I don't know, let’s say that a International Court at the Hague found certain influential American's guilty of starting an illegal war and killing 100,000’s of Iraqi’s in the process (I mean, why should the war on terror be limited to America’s enemies, right?) , it would be OK for the U.N. to send in clandestine troops and forcefully extradite these citizens to Mexico or some South or Central American country for 'questioning' and never inform our government or their families what happened to them, what charges they are accused of, when they will be tried, if ever, nor under what circumstances they will be tried, if ever.
First of all, they don't have the balls. And, second, let 'em try.

Oh, and where the fuck is the U.N. gonna get troops to do the job?

MannyIsGod
07-13-2005, 12:03 PM
First of all, they don't have the balls. And, second, let 'em try.

Oh, and where the fuck is the U.N. gonna get troops to do the job? In other words, we are above the law.

In other news, intelligent Americans say Democrats are as idiotic as Republicans.

Guantanamo probe finds violations

Interrogation reform urged

By Bryan Bender, Globe Staff | July 13, 2005

WASHINGTON -- A Pentagon investigation of the Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, prison camp has corroborated allegations that interrogators inappropriately touched inmates, used menacing dogs to force them to talk, and chained prisoners in the fetal position, and on at least three occasions violated the Geneva Conventions, according to congressional aides familiar with the previously undisclosed findings.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2005/07/13/guantanamo_probe_finds_violations/

Duff McCartney
07-13-2005, 12:33 PM
TRO's next response is to say the Geneve Conventions isn't worth dick.

sbsquared
07-13-2005, 12:37 PM
In order to be covered under the Geneva Convention, a person would have to be a citizen of a country who signed the Geneva Convention. That is not the case with the detainees at Gitmo! Oh, and by the way, several of the detainees who were released have already been recaptured on another battlefield - so much for their innocence!!!

mookie2001
07-13-2005, 12:39 PM
^
human rights are for humans

MannyIsGod
07-13-2005, 12:42 PM
In order to be covered under the Geneva Convention, a person would have to be a citizen of a country who signed the Geneva Convention. That is not the case with the detainees at Gitmo! Oh, and by the way, several of the detainees who were released have already been recaptured on another battlefield - so much for their innocence!!!
As I said above, some of you think we are above the law.

sbsquared
07-13-2005, 12:49 PM
Not above the law, Manny - however when we hear so much from the left about the Geneva Convention, it helps to remember that we're not required to follow it where the detainees are concerned. But, we are treating them very well, there have been no real (substantiated) instances of abuse. Many of the claims come from detainees who have been trained to repeat these ridiculous "facts" - and every claim is investigated.

Let's compare the treatment of the detainees at Gitmo with the soldiers (Jessica Lynch) and the civilians who have been kidnapped or captured by the terrorists in Iraq - NO CONTEST!!!

MannyIsGod
07-13-2005, 12:53 PM
It's not about comparisons, it's about meeting a standard we are supposed to stand for. We are not meeting that standard.

When judging what kind of man I want to be, I do not compare myself to others, I set the bar where I want it to be. Just because I'm better than someone who commits murder doesn't make me a good man.

I realize there is no legal reason to uphold the geneva conventions, but I also understand that a document of that sort is not all about specifics but more about a general spirit.

I also understand that this country is supposed to stand for something more than doing just enough to squeak through loopholes.