PDA

View Full Version : Boris Diaw

Russo21
11-24-2012, 07:25 AM
Is it just me or has Boris Diaw been annoyingly disappointing so far this year, brief as it has been. He is so talented and has such a diverse all around game.

That guy has been invisible at times though, not shooting or attacking and generally playing like a friggen pansy out there.

Boris has been my major disappointment from early in the season. He hasn't fucked up too much, it's just that he hasn't done much at all. He is too talented and versatile to play like an invisible man. For the year he has averaged 3 FG attempts per game, just 3, yes 3, 3 field goal attempts?! The lowest of his career.

I mean cmon, he's shooting 59% from the field, 38% from 3. Pretty bloody good. Shoot more and attack you fat pussy. He is way too talented to play invisible basketball and shoot just 3 times a game.

Somebody has to light a fire up Diaw's ass. I want him to step up and play some real basketball.

mystargtr34
11-24-2012, 07:40 AM
Something that i have always felt about Boris.. and Bruno pointed it out in another thread.. is that perhaps he isnt suited to being a bench player. Boris strikes me as the type of player that plays down or up to his competition.. a bit like the Spurs teams of old.

Coming off the bench i think he gets bored and coasts even more so than usual if thats possible.. however when he starts and especially when he is matched up against a high caliber PF he usually holds his own. Last season in the playoffs he was fantastic against Millsap and Griffin. I would have never moved him out of the SL.. and if i were Pop i would put him back in there.

Im not sure whether Pop's reasoning is to remove Bonner from the rotation or to insert Blair into the rotation by starting him.. my guess would be the latter. Blair doesnt belong anywhere near the rotation let alone the SL of a contending team.. his IQ is just too low. Tbh if i had to choose between starting Blair and having no Bonner.. or starting Boris and giving Bonner minutes .. i would choose the latter. Although thats like choosing between having your shit fried or steamed.

I wish the Spurs would just sign K-Mart and pair him with Splitter off the bench and move Boris back to the SL.

Russo21
11-24-2012, 08:03 AM
Agree with the 1st 2nd and 4th parargraphs of your reply word for word mate.

As for the 3rd parargraph about Pop's logic, i dont even think the most expensive, highly qualified psychologist or experienced CIA investigator could work out what goes on in Pop's head lol.

TDMVPDPOY
11-24-2012, 08:10 AM
diaw is an idiot, we dont need a 6'9 point forward, when u get into the lane stop lobbin it and go for it...fkn so many times his defender would just sit back every time he drives and passes it out...

dbestpro
11-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Let's look at where we would be without Diaw. Blair or Bonner would get those minutes. Diaw's game may not always look pretty, but I think the other starters play better and feel more comfortable when he is on the floor verses Blair and Bonner. Sometimes you have to look past the numbers.

Mel_13
11-24-2012, 08:24 AM
I'm far more disappointed in Splitter's lack of defensive rebounds than I am in Diaw's lack of field goal attempts. The Spurs have plenty of good shooters, not so many good rebounders.

racm
11-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Diaw is a pass-first guard stuck in a tweener's body, tbh

DrSteffo
11-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Tim Duncan is Tim Duncan. Boris is Boris. Splitter is Splitter.

TDMVPDPOY
11-24-2012, 09:43 AM
I'm far more disappointed in Splitter's lack of defensive rebounds than I am in Diaw's lack of field goal attempts. The Spurs have plenty of good shooters, not so many good rebounders.

his too good to be passing up shots when he gets into the lane, dude always beats his man off the dribble only to penetrate and dish...

swaggerjackson
11-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Hopefully he is just pacing himself. I think everyone on the team knows it is all about a championship, and maybe he just doesn't want to kick it into high gear in late November. He did rough up Jeff Green alittle bit. I remember him moving Green all the way out to the three point line to receive a pass when Green was trying to post up. I am disappointed with his effort to but you have to be intrigued at the possibility of him playing to his full capabilities. He has the ability to be damn good sidekick to Duncan. I think he will get it in gear eventually.

I live in NC and have gone to or watched quite a few Bobcats games since they came into the league. Diaw does this "slump" thing all the time. He will come and go throughout the season. I think what is important is that he shows up playoff time.

ChuckD
11-24-2012, 10:52 AM
If Diaw always maximized his talent, we never could have signed him for $4+M. He would have received another big contract this past summer that the Spurs would have been unable to match under the CBA.

He's a wonderfully skilled, unselfish player who's defense is massively underrated who signed for less than the MLE. He's not as frustrating when viewed through that lense.

sananspursfan21
11-24-2012, 12:08 PM
his too good to be passing up shots when he gets into the lane, dude always beats his man off the dribble only to penetrate and dish...

Truth. Im always screamin at the tv/computer screen watching diaw do this. He is his own defender. Yes it works out and he makes a great assist sometimes. But ive seen too many easy looks passed up by diaw only for the receiver of the pass clang it off the rim. Diaw is good and can hit but hes got this stupid mentality sometimes

letmk
11-24-2012, 12:30 PM
To me, the effort of Diaw puts into defense alone like last night against Hilbert gives him at least an overall B- grade. Granted, we all would love to see him being more active in offense and rebounds. But it's not like he is losing the interest in the game like his Bobcats days. He is playing HARD, just not sure of his role in offense, or simply deferring too much in a winning Spurs Team.

My take of pop going back to starting Blair is that after losing confidence in Bonner, he figures that it's not feasible only to have a 3-bigman rotation in the long term. So he has to find out a way to use Blair for some minutes while not hurting the team. You can see that whenever the team is in trouble, Pop will even go desperate to Bonner instead of keeping Blair on court.

Gagnrath
11-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Honestly I really wish that Diaw would have remembered to lay off the twinkies his whole career. He's fast when he wants to be and when he was playing as a SF/SG was pretty good at it. He ate himself out of it with his lack of discipline a few years ago. A 6'9" SF with his passing and handles is a huge asset and he's fairly sure at shooting when he is in rhythm. He's passive at times on offense though and no one is super sure why.

spurs10
11-24-2012, 02:46 PM
No telling what Pop is asking him to do. If it's to concentrate on defense and passing, he's doing above avaerage. If Pop wants him to shoot more , I'm sure he would oblige.
:flag:

boutons_deux
11-24-2012, 03:11 PM
agreed, one has to ask if BD is playing the way Pop is requesting? But it doesn't make any sense for Boris to play so below what he can obviously contribute.

cd021
11-24-2012, 04:32 PM
This is clearly the smoking section of Spurs talk. He has been extremely clutch late in several games.

@ New Orleans-Hit Duncan with a ,fantastic pocket pass, for an easy layup to tie the game with less than 2 minutes.

OKC- Saved a bad pass from going out of bounds with 30 seconds left, and slung the ball to Tony Parker for an open three to tie the game.

@ Indiana-Made fantastic pass into traffic to a cutting Tim Duncan to put the Spurs up 101-95 with 1:30 left.

He does rebound at a below average rate and his jump shot has been slow to get going. He does finish very well at the rim and rarely gets his shot blocked.

Kuestmaster
11-24-2012, 04:41 PM
I think Pop is showcasing Blair. And I'm sure Diaw will be back in the starting lineup as the season aproaches the playoffs. I'm not worried about him. But maybe sometimes he's indeed passing too much open shots.

Frenchie
11-24-2012, 05:48 PM
It's always the same story with Boris. I don't know if someone knows how to force him to be more aggressive. He's the same player in the FNT : passive but sometimes excellent. For example, he's by far the best French player vs Spain in the Querterfinals of the Olympics. He has nearly qualified us by doing a lot of things. Nevertheless, he was passive in the previous games...

What is really surprinsing with him, it's his mind. He knows he's passing up shots and that makes him laugh. But sometimes, he decides to take shots and hit them, hurting a lot opponents, then saying "they think Boris doesn't shoot, he's always passing the ball".

One of the most difficult coachables players in the world I think. But, it's not because he's selfish...

cd021
11-24-2012, 10:18 PM
This is clearly the smoking section of Spurs talk. He has been extremely clutch late in several games.

@ New Orleans-Hit Duncan with a ,fantastic pocket pass, for an easy layup to tie the game with less than 2 minutes.

OKC- Saved a bad pass from going out of bounds with 30 seconds left, and slung the ball to Tony Parker for an open three to tie the game.

@ Indiana-Made fantastic pass into traffic to a cutting Tim Duncan to put the Spurs up 101-95 with 1:30 left.

He does rebound at a below average rate and his jump shot has been slow to get going. He does finish very well at the rim and rarely gets his shot blocked.

cd021
11-24-2012, 10:21 PM
http://www.poundingtherock.com/2012/11/21/3672910/nba-tiago-splitter-spurs-defensive-rebounding-woes

Check out the Pounding the Rock link. They have a good article about the Spurs rebounding problem (spoiler: Its not really Tiago's fault)

therealtruth
11-24-2012, 10:50 PM
It's funny we used to have this guy a couple of years ago who would start seasons slow but when playoffs time came around he made all the right plays and was huge.

Russo21
11-25-2012, 12:58 AM
http://www.poundingtherock.com/2012/11/24/3686956/will-the-real-boris-diaw-please-stand-up

another nice article from the fellas at poundingtherock