PDA

View Full Version : Pelicans: Why Anthony Davis is destined to be even bigger than Tim Duncan

BRHornet45
11-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Why Antony Davis Is Destined to Be Even Bigger Than Tim Duncan

Even with the LeBron James-like expectations set forth for the rookie season of Anthony Davis, life in the NBA wasn't supposed to be this easy for the former one-and-done Kentucky star.

Consider the odds stacked against him.

Davis entered a New Orleans Hornets franchise in disarray. The team was fewer than 12 months removed from the departure of perhaps the top player in franchise history, a still-in-his-prime Chris Paul. The team's current best player, Eric Gordon, has yet to play a single minute in the 2012-13 season due to a lingering knee injury which Gordon and team doctors have said involves no structural damage (according to Jeff Duncan of The Times-Picayune).

Although injuries have limited Davis to just six of the team's first 10 games, the 19-year-old power forward has already proven worthy of that elevated draft stock. Davis' 26.4 player efficiency rating puts him ahead of any player's aged 20 or younger season in more than 30 years (according to espn.com's Justin Havens).

The sample size couldn't be any smaller. Then again, the sample itself couldn't be more impressive.

Davis ranks among the top two Hornets' rotation players in scoring (16.0 points per game, second), rebounding (8.3, first), field-goal percentage (49.3, second) and blocks (2.2, first). He's using good footwork to guide his 220-lb. frame to efficient scoring inside the paint (56.6 percent). Not to mention that the midrange jumper he displayed with the Wildcats has yet to factor in his NBA success (5-of-16).

He has the size (6'10") to continue his post production throughout the season. But thanks to his handles and quickness, defenders can't just wait for him to move toward the basket. And his passing ability (thanks to his point guard past) forces help defenders to think twice about bringing the double-team.

His defensive abilities led to predraft comparisons to Marcus Camby and Kevin Garnett. Those may sound like unrealistic predictions, but his defensive numbers with Kentucky (4.7 blocks and 1.4 steals per game) would say otherwise.

Stretching his early production over the span of an 82-game season shouldn't be a problem for Davis given the comparable talents of his teammates. If he can simply stay on the floor, he'll remain the offensive and defensive focal points.

His biggest challenge will be finding a way to channel his abilities in to making his teammates better. Duncan's impact in his rookie season of 1997-98 (21.1 points and 11.9 rebounds) helped lead the Spurs to a 36-game regular season improvement over their previous season. Then again, the 21-year-old Duncan also had the help of a 32-year-old David Robinson.

Robin Lopez isn't exactly in Robinson's category. And Greivis Vasquez isn't quite Avery Johnson.

Davis needs some help if New Orleans hopes to turn around their 3-7 start. He needs a healthy, focused Gordon back on the floor. He needs Austin Rivers to find the maturity that draft scouts wondered if he ever would.

But New Orleans didn't draft Davis for what he could help them accomplish this season. Hornets GM Dell Demps was thinking big picture when he made Davis the first overall pick of the 2012 NBA Draft.

If these six games were just the preview of what the big man is capable of, his career has blockbuster potential.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1420140-why-antony-davis-is-destined-to-be-even-bigger-than-tim-duncan

pass1st
11-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Son, he has to stay healthy to surpass Duncan.

timvp
11-24-2012, 04:51 PM
We'll need to bump this in a couple years to see if BleacherReportPelican45 is still high on Anthony Oden, tbh.

Jodelo
11-24-2012, 05:00 PM
:lolBleacherreport

TE
11-24-2012, 05:04 PM
Must be hard for BR to troll spurfan with his typical Duncan shit talking.

:lol "Malone is better than TD"

BRHornet45
11-24-2012, 05:06 PM
sons I'm not saying this is my opinion and never did. Its way too early to tell if Davis will be worth a shit or not. I am simply reporting the facts. this was an article posted and many feel this way.

BRHornet45
11-24-2012, 05:07 PM
Must be hard for BR to troll spurfan with his typical Duncan shit talking.

:lol "Malone is better than TD"

son everyone outside of San Antonio knows that Malone was a better player than Duncan. according to Spur fan logic, Robert Horry is better than Jordan because he has more rings. that's the only argument you can use with Duncan vs Malone because in everything else Malone was better. Duncan was blessed to play on stacked teams his entire career and Malone was not.

ElNono
11-24-2012, 05:08 PM
son, he's already better than Dwight Howard, tbh...

TE
11-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Here we go........

irishock
11-24-2012, 05:29 PM
son everyone outside of San Antonio knows that Malone was a better player than Duncan. according to Spur fan logic, Robert Horry is better than Jordan because he has more rings. that's the only argument you can use with Duncan vs Malone because in everything else Malone was better. Duncan was blessed to play on stacked teams his entire career and Malone was not.

http://usdirect.com/wp-content/uploads/23879/Johnny-boy.jpg

BRHornet45
11-24-2012, 05:33 PM
http://usdirect.com/wp-content/uploads/23879/Johnny-boy.jpg

lol ONE player who is perhaps the most overrated white player of all time.

Juggity
11-24-2012, 05:51 PM
:lmao Bleacher Report

Let's revisit this prediction in 5 years. If Davis doesn't already have a ROY, 2 Finals MVPs, and 2 MVPs by that point in his career, we'll confirm what we already know.

DMC
11-24-2012, 06:30 PM
sons I'm not saying this is my opinion and never did. Its way too early to tell if Davis will be worth a shit or not. I am simply reporting the facts. this was an article posted and many feel this way.

You cannot get the toothpaste back into the tube.

baseline bum
11-24-2012, 06:30 PM
RT, Davis is going to be a much better pro than college player. It will be interesting if they can't get their season turned around and then get to draft Nerlens Noel to play center. The Rivers pick appears it was a good move in that direction tbh.

BanditHiro
11-24-2012, 07:33 PM
he's not even going to win Rookie of the Year

scanry
11-24-2012, 08:41 PM

Son i know you like to troll them Spurs fans, but Timmy's got the hardware to show even Kobe doesn't. Don't think it's appropriate to compare him to Horry's rings analogy.

BTW i could always count on Malone to choke in big games. He would always sh!t the bed come 4th quarter.

TDMVPDPOY
11-24-2012, 10:53 PM
padding stats in college doesnt really show what his going to become in the nba

look at kenyon martin, didnt he avg like 4bpg in college...now look at his career, now look at him now

u want another example, look at wankers who played for DUKE who come to the nba..

good stats in college gets you drafted, gettin drafted doesnt mean u going to post those same type of stats against men...

BRHornet45
11-25-2012, 12:39 AM
padding stats in college doesnt really show what his going to become in the nba

look at kenyon martin, didnt he avg like 4bpg in college...now look at his career, now look at him now

u want another example, look at wankers who played for DUKE who come to the nba..

good stats in college gets you drafted, gettin drafted doesnt mean u going to post those same type of stats against men...

hey dumb dumb he is averaging 16 and 8 at 50% shooting right now in his rookie season lol. Duncan hasn't put up those kinds of averages in 3+ years!

the only concern is some of the tick tack injuries right now.

pass1st
11-25-2012, 12:42 AM
hey dumb dumb he is averaging 16 and 8 at 50% shooting right now in his rookie season lol. Duncan hasn't put up those kinds of averages in 3+ years!

Son let's hope he takes that ROY award so Tlong goes back to hibernation

Kai
11-25-2012, 12:51 AM
Son, what the shit

Hoops Czar
11-25-2012, 12:51 AM
Since when does bleacherreport report facts? Most of it is fanbase opinions and nothing more. Bleacherreport is "for your entertainment" only. What a shock... a NO fan thinks AD will be better than TD.

BRHornet45
11-25-2012, 12:52 AM
Since when does bleacherreport report facts? Most of it is fanbase opinionated. What a shock... a NO fan thinks AD will be better than TD.

son kinda like how no one in this country gives two massive, diarrhea shits about that joke of a "city" known as Cleveland and their absolutely pathetic, piss poor, and disgraceful sports teams.

rayjayjohnson
11-25-2012, 01:02 AM
lol ONE player who is perhaps the most overrated white player of all time.

are you serious? stockton is top 3 all time pgs

BRHornet45
11-25-2012, 01:05 AM
are you serious? stockton is top 3 all time pgs

says white people

sure he was a great player, but terribly overrated. if you watch old games of him IN UTAH they counted nearly every basket as an assist for Stockton.

"Stockton passes to Hornacek in the corner ... Hornacek bounce pass to Malone in the paint .... Malone with the slam!!!!" - Assisted by John Stockton!!!

Hoops Czar
11-25-2012, 01:15 AM
son kinda like how no one in this country gives two massive, diarrhea shits about that joke of a "city" known as Cleveland and their absolutely pathetic, piss poor, and disgraceful sports teams.

Son, kind of like nobody cares about your overplayed piss poor white man pretending to be a black man schtick. You almost struck a nerve with your Cleveland dig, that is If I actually gave a flying shit about Cleveland, its fanbase or teams.

PS How long are you gonna stick with the boss hogg Dukes of Hazzard avator. Probably one of your favorite childhood memories, but everyone's got to grow up sometime SON.

BRHornet45
11-25-2012, 01:18 AM
Son, kind of like nobody cares about your overplayed piss poor white man pretending to be a black man schtick. You almost struck a nerve with your Cleveland dig, that is If I actually gave a flying shit about Cleveland, its fanbase or teams.

PS How long are you gonna stick with the boss hogg Dukes of Hazzard avator. Probably one of your favorite childhood memories, but everyone's got to grow up sometime SON.

son don't act like you don't care about the Cavs. you know you do. I know I struck a nerve hence your angry reply. now step the fuck down before I slap the shit out of you again.

Hoops Czar
11-25-2012, 01:40 AM
son don't act like you don't care about the Cavs. you know you do. I know I struck a nerve hence your angry reply. now step the fuck down before I slap the shit out of you again. In five years, AD won't even be a Hornet and that's real talk Sonny.

D12
11-25-2012, 01:44 AM
In five years, AD won't even be a Hornet and that's real talk Sonny.
Remember det one time the Hornets actually had a superstar? :lol they traded him because he didn't want to be in that shithole

D12
11-25-2012, 01:46 AM
Tbh, my nigga pass1st layed out the goods in a couple of words...

/thread

Juggity
11-25-2012, 01:55 AM

lol son Duncan is putting up better numbers than Davis this season at age 37. When Duncan was a rookie, he was putting up even better numbers than right now.

When Duncan was in his prime, he was dropping a quad-dub in the NBA finals and leading SA to 4 rings. Taking into account rings, trophies, winning percentage, and leadership, Duncan is the 7th or 8th greatest player in the history of the league. To compare a promising rookie to one of the most assured legacies of all time is laughable.

Stalin
11-25-2012, 01:58 AM
son don't act like you don't care about the Cavs. you know you do. I know I struck a nerve hence your angry reply. now step the fuck down before I slap the shit out of you again.

:lol

TDMVPDPOY
11-25-2012, 02:07 AM
duncan when he was a rookie, was top5 player in the league

davis? gtfo

unforeseen
11-25-2012, 04:36 AM
NO needs a few more top 2 picks to contend in the west.

Stalin
11-25-2012, 05:34 AM
as if you scros still falling for this transparent br shtick

KaiRMD1
11-25-2012, 05:58 AM
Too early, simple as that

Koolaid_Man
11-25-2012, 06:01 AM

Even with the LeBron James-like expectations set forth for the rookie season of Anthony Davis, life in the NBA wasn't supposed to be this easy for the former one-and-done Kentucky star.

Consider the odds stacked against him.

Davis entered a New Orleans Hornets franchise in disarray. The team was fewer than 12 months removed from the departure of perhaps the top player in franchise history, a still-in-his-prime Chris Paul. The team's current best player, Eric Gordon, has yet to play a single minute in the 2012-13 season due to a lingering knee injury which Gordon and team doctors have said involves no structural damage (according to Jeff Duncan of The Times-Picayune).

Although injuries have limited Davis to just six of the team's first 10 games, the 19-year-old power forward has already proven worthy of that elevated draft stock. Davis' 26.4 player efficiency rating puts him ahead of any player's aged 20 or younger season in more than 30 years (according to espn.com's Justin Havens).

The sample size couldn't be any smaller. Then again, the sample itself couldn't be more impressive.

Davis ranks among the top two Hornets' rotation players in scoring (16.0 points per game, second), rebounding (8.3, first), field-goal percentage (49.3, second) and blocks (2.2, first). He's using good footwork to guide his 220-lb. frame to efficient scoring inside the paint (56.6 percent). Not to mention that the midrange jumper he displayed with the Wildcats has yet to factor in his NBA success (5-of-16).

He has the size (6'10") to continue his post production throughout the season. But thanks to his handles and quickness, defenders can't just wait for him to move toward the basket. And his passing ability (thanks to his point guard past) forces help defenders to think twice about bringing the double-team.

His defensive abilities led to predraft comparisons to Marcus Camby and Kevin Garnett. Those may sound like unrealistic predictions, but his defensive numbers with Kentucky (4.7 blocks and 1.4 steals per game) would say otherwise.

Stretching his early production over the span of an 82-game season shouldn't be a problem for Davis given the comparable talents of his teammates. If he can simply stay on the floor, he'll remain the offensive and defensive focal points.

His biggest challenge will be finding a way to channel his abilities in to making his teammates better. Duncan's impact in his rookie season of 1997-98 (21.1 points and 11.9 rebounds) helped lead the Spurs to a 36-game regular season improvement over their previous season. Then again, the 21-year-old Duncan also had the help of a 32-year-old David Robinson.

Robin Lopez isn't exactly in Robinson's category. And Greivis Vasquez isn't quite Avery Johnson.

Davis needs some help if New Orleans hopes to turn around their 3-7 start. He needs a healthy, focused Gordon back on the floor. He needs Austin Rivers to find the maturity that draft scouts wondered if he ever would.

But New Orleans didn't draft Davis for what he could help them accomplish this season. Hornets GM Dell Demps was thinking big picture when he made Davis the first overall pick of the 2012 NBA Draft.

If these six games were just the preview of what the big man is capable of, his career has blockbuster potential.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1420140-why-antony-davis-is-destined-to-be-even-bigger-than-tim-duncan

I agree with you...you just make sure yall training that young stud the right way so he'll be primed and ready to join LA in a few more years...we're already looking at players from this years draft that we may want...you know how we do it playa :hat

100%duncan
11-25-2012, 07:09 AM
as if you scros still falling for this transparent br shtick

They are.

Latarian Milton
11-25-2012, 10:11 AM
unibrow ain't even remotely as good as the rookie duncan or the 37yr old him, let alone the prime version tbh

Raven
11-25-2012, 10:27 AM

tim duncan had 21-12 in his rookie season...

fevertrees
11-25-2012, 11:08 AM
New Orleans Pelicans, full of injury prone "stars."

tlongII
11-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Lillard will be ROY.

JRHernandez88
11-25-2012, 01:13 PM
that ass tho...

Raven
11-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Anthony Davis (ankle) could miss two more weeks with the stress reaction to his left ankle.

:lmao

fevertrees
11-25-2012, 04:17 PM
http://2.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.com/34/43/cf5e8a107728dbe5e0b3de667a58a94f.jpg

timvp
11-25-2012, 06:27 PM
Anthony Davis (ankle) could miss two more weeks with the stress reaction to his left ankle.

:lmao

Tbh, Anthony Oden was harsh. Maybe it should be Anthony Bowie.

Then again, that name is taken. Anthony Oden it is.

baseline bum
11-25-2012, 06:32 PM
Tbh, Anthony Oden was harsh. Maybe it should be Anthony Bowie.

Then again, that name is taken. Anthony Oden it is.

Anthony Bynum?

Anthony Yao?

Adolf
11-25-2012, 07:22 PM
I'm hoping for Anthony Curry.

gee
11-26-2012, 03:55 AM

lol, you dumb

TDMVPDPOY
11-26-2012, 03:59 AM
duncan won ROtM each month in his rookie campaign

same cant be said about unibrow

rayjayjohnson
11-26-2012, 05:10 AM
I agree with you...you just make sure yall training that young stud the right way so he'll be primed and ready to join LA in a few more years...we're already looking at players from this years draft that we may want...you know how we do it playa :hat

:lol can't develop their own players
:lol fairweather fans
:lol rapist apologisers.

Richie
11-26-2012, 05:19 AM
Is it too early to call Austin Rivers a bust?

Raven
11-26-2012, 05:26 AM
Is it too early to call Austin Rivers a bust?

it was obvious ever since he was drafted... perhaps even before..

jesterbobman
11-26-2012, 05:52 AM
I continue to think that the Hornets drafted Rivers so that they can have good players and still get a high pick, and be absolutely loaded. They'll suck enough with him playing big minutes in the next few years to draft in the top 5 another few times, and then replace him with a competent guard and they can be dominant.

Rummpd
11-26-2012, 09:16 AM
LOL when he wins 4 championships, 2 MVPS, 3 finals MVPS and record setting years of consective first team all NBA.

racm
11-26-2012, 09:38 AM
After two seasons Tim Duncan has:

Rookie of the Year
2x All-NBA First (!) Team (when was the last time a rookie made the First Team (Larry Bird)? Not even MJ did it)
1x Finals MVP
2x All-Defensive selections (1x Second Team, 1x First Team).

I doubt the Brow can even snag Rookie of the Year seeing as it favors scorers.

buttsR4rebounding
11-26-2012, 03:18 PM

..............Duncan ......Davis
Points .....19.0......... 16.0
Reb .........10.5........... 8.3
Assists ......2.6............. .8 (I guess it's good he's not a point guard now)
Blocks .......2.36......... 2.17
Steals......... .9 ............1.0
Efficiency.. 25.6 .........20.0
Eff/48.... 39.14 (#1 in the NBA) 28.3

Ahhhh, the bliss that comes from ignorance.....

djohn2oo8
11-26-2012, 03:45 PM
LOL silly dawgs actually looking up stats. BR just being BR.

Darth_Pelican
02-05-2015, 03:53 PM
We'll need to bump this in a couple years to see if BleacherReportPelican45 is still high on Anthony Oden, tbh.

I would say he is.

Does it still hurt?

lefty
02-05-2015, 04:02 PM
Davis shits on Cuckan tbh

daslicer
02-05-2015, 04:08 PM
He still can't lead his team to victory against a struggling thunder team that didn't have Durant.

Brazil
02-05-2015, 04:28 PM
I would say he is.

Does it still hurt?

dat one of timvp's bad takes tbh

hater
02-05-2015, 04:49 PM
still not better than Tim tbqh. hasn't even won a playoff round yet right? has he even made the playoffs? :lol

Darth_Pelican
02-05-2015, 04:54 PM
still not better than Tim tbqh. hasn't even won a playoff round yet right? has he even made the playoffs? :lol

:lol Give him time. He's 21 years old and he plays mostly with garbage players. Tim Duncan was still at Wake Forest at his age, and AD is already in his 3rd season. I bumped this thread for the people who thought he would be a bust. Advanced statistics show that AD is already the best player in the NBA today.

cantthinkofanything
02-05-2015, 05:05 PM
:lol Give him time. He's 21 years old and he plays mostly with garbage players. Tim Duncan was still at Wake Forest at his age, and AD is already in his 3rd season. I bumped this thread for the people who thought he would be a bust. Advanced statistics show that AD is already the best player in the NBA today.

LOL at anyone thinking he'd be a bust. Literally the first name that came to mind after seeing him play in college was Tim Duncan. And the 2nd was Frida.

Brazil
02-05-2015, 05:09 PM

yup but he is far from being Anthony Oden... dude is already in mvp conversation...

Sean Cagney
02-05-2015, 05:14 PM
He has a long ways to go before he is near Duncans level.

SupremeGuy
02-05-2015, 05:43 PM
I have zero fucking doubt that he's going to be a fucking badass, but come back to me when he's won multiple MVPs, FMVPs, and rings.

Infinite_limit
02-05-2015, 06:45 PM
All he needs is 3 Hall of Fame teammates and coach

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-05-2015, 06:50 PM
LOL at anyone thinking he'd be a bust. Literally the first name that came to mind after seeing him play in college was Tim Duncan. And the 2nd was Frida.

Thread
02-05-2015, 07:15 PM
Let's see if unlike Timmy he can keep his wife, $20 million & his dignity.

Silver&Black
02-05-2015, 07:22 PM
Let's see if unlike Timmy he can keep his wife, $20 million & his dignity.

Let's see if he can win 5 rings first.....

SupremeGuy
02-05-2015, 07:22 PM
Let's see if unlike Timmy he can keep his wife, $20 million & his dignity.2 > 1

Thread
02-05-2015, 07:27 PM
^First he lets Amy high play his ass right into the shitter, then hands some stranger $20 million.

What an asshole.

bigzak25
02-05-2015, 07:43 PM
^First he lets Amy high play his ass right into the shitter, then hands some stranger $20 million.

What an asshole.

Reigning Champion asshole.

jeebus
02-05-2015, 07:49 PM
cuckvp with the horrible bads. it's amazing how much upstairs slobbered all over him.

Thread
02-05-2015, 07:55 PM
Reigning Champion asshole.

One would think after watching Dirk get cold called & sold ocean front property in the panhandle Duncan woulda learned.

Uh, uh.

Spurs9
03-16-2015, 12:02 AM
36 points, 14 rebounds, 7 assists, 9 blocks tonight
:wow
1st player to ever record those numbers.

spurraider21
03-16-2015, 12:03 AM
galileo can come in and tell us all of duncan's obscure records too

Vash StampedE
03-16-2015, 01:37 AM
Among the NBA players today, he has the best chance to record the first quadruple double since the last time it was done (I think by David Robinson).

Arcadian
03-16-2015, 01:56 AM
He's not as clutch a shooter, though. Duncan would have made that jumper at the end of regulation.

benstanfield
03-16-2015, 02:15 AM
When I saw his statline tonight I heard myself saying ~15 years from now "fuck you son, Duncan was the greatest player I ever saw!" while driving to my kid's middle school having this conversation.

Sean Cagney
03-16-2015, 03:20 AM
36 points, 14 rebounds, 7 assists, 9 blocks tonight
:wow
1st player to ever record those numbers.

AD is ridiculous man...

DMC
03-16-2015, 09:51 AM
Why does anyone even remotely think Duncan's greatness is due to his stats? Some of you root for teams that have never crossed over into the NBA. Get off the stat sheet shit. Focus on how it affects the team. AD is a beast, no doubt, but when he makes the playoffs let me know.

Spurs9
03-16-2015, 12:43 PM
Why does anyone even remotely think Duncan's greatness is due to his stats? Some of you root for teams that have never crossed over into the NBA. Get off the stat sheet shit. Focus on how it affects the team. AD is a beast, no doubt, but when he makes the playoffs let me know.
Might happen this year.

Pelicans78
03-16-2015, 01:09 PM
Pelicans won't ever go anywhere as long as Omer Asik is their 2nd best player. Tyreke and Gordon are too inconsistent, Holiday and Anderson are too injury prone and everyone else are role players.

Cry Havoc
03-16-2015, 02:08 PM
Pelicans won't ever go anywhere as long as Omer Asik is their 2nd best player. Tyreke and Gordon are too inconsistent, Holiday and Anderson are too injury prone and everyone else are role players.

Yeah, but when you have an all-world big and the 2nd best player in the League, you're always just a piece or two away from contending. Good time to be a Pelicans fan.

DMC
03-16-2015, 10:26 PM
Might happen this year.

The moon landing might have been faked in a studio.

IronMexican
03-16-2015, 10:32 PM
Yeah, but when you have an all-world big and the 2nd best player in the League, you're always just a piece or two away from contending. Good time to be a Pelicans fan.

Same thing will happen to them that happens to most small market teams. Their very small window will fade fast and the starts will leave. Exception to the rule is Duncan and SA.

FkLA
03-16-2015, 10:38 PM

Duncan won with a bunch of either too old (Robinson) or too young (Parker, Manu, Capt Jack) inconsistent players in '03. AD is a beast that barring injuries will be an all-time great obviously, but he's going to have to have to pull off something ridiculous like Duncan did in '03 to be in his class tbh.