PDA

View Full Version : Eliminated in the Conference-Semis . . .

TD 21
11-25-2012, 05:20 PM
If they don't make a move to shore up the big rotation.

They were lucky to pull this one out of their ass, but it'll all be for naught tomorrow when the big three are inevitably inactive and they get blown out. You can pull the "it's early" card all you want, but I've seen more than enough alarming signs to realize that this team, as currently constructed, isn't going anywhere (as opposed to last season, when I said they were true contenders before it became common knowledge).

The way they're winning games isn't a formula for sustained success. Duncan is having to do far too much, the offense isn't nearly as explosive, the defense is predictably just as mediocre, the defensive rebounding has become astonishingly bad and turnovers have been an issue as well. Only one of these things (the turnovers) is definitely fixable. The offense only is if Ginobili begins to resemble the player he was before the playoffs last season, but even then, I'm not sure it can get back to that insane level. That really was the perfect storm, where pretty much everyone was playing to their peak. They're going to be one of the better offenses in the league either way, but without it at that insane level, this team can't seriously contend.

We've talked a lot about the Smith's and Varejao's of the world, but the reality is, they're long shot's. They're probably going to have to get creative and be open minded and if that means the best they can do without gutting the team is acquiring a backup center and making Splitter the starting power forward, fine.

Obstructed_View
11-25-2012, 05:22 PM
Seconded. Jack and KL are both stinking up the joint. What the fuck?

TDMVPDPOY
11-25-2012, 05:40 PM
who let the trolls out....

DesignatedT
11-25-2012, 05:42 PM
Ok.

benstanfield
11-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Big 3 are not a good enough core to have anything but a puncher's chance at a 'ship regardless of what the FO does.

Richie
11-25-2012, 06:20 PM
No chance of making a serious move this side of the trade deadline.

The only chance we have of seriously upgrading the front line is this summer when Millsap, Jefferson, Smith etc... hit the market.

If that means we'll bust out in the 2nd round this year then we have to deal with that.

therealtruth
11-25-2012, 07:06 PM
It's too soon to panic.

ElNono
11-25-2012, 07:22 PM
2nd round sounds about right... Conference Finals ceiling if everything aligns...

Ice009
11-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Jack and Kawhi make a huge difference defensively and rebounding wise to the team. You see how bad we are without them.

Splitter is a big problem, in that he doesn't play consistently. He plays weak in too many games and doesn't grab boards. I'm really starting to get mad at his lack of consistent aggression. I do like the Tim and Tiago pairing though and would like to start seeing more of it.

lakerhaterade
11-25-2012, 09:27 PM
:( have a feeling this thread will be bumped in a couple of months. Faccckingg Shiite

TDMVPDPOY
11-26-2012, 01:09 AM
depends on who we face in the playoffs

depends on who will choke first, pop/tp/gino/bench

TD 21
11-26-2012, 11:07 PM
They're probably going to have to get creative and be open minded and if that means the best they can do without gutting the team is acquiring a backup center and making Splitter the starting power forward, fine.

Granted, this is coming on the heels of Duncan-Splitter playing better together than they probably ever have, but I'm beginning to think this is the way to go. It's the best of both worlds, in the sense that they'd have a credible starting power forward and they'd have four solid bigs.

The best realistic option I see to make this work is Amir Johnson. He's not actually a center, but he's played it for two years and he's a solid enough post defender/rim protector to get away with it in most match-ups (and Diaw is a stout enough post defender that they could cross match at times, too). Plus, he's a good roll man and a hard nosed competitor. Given the way the Raptors season is going and their cap picture, they may be willing to salary dump him for Bonner, Blair and Joseph. By doing so, they would open up a decent amount of cap space.

Other things I like from the Spurs perspective . . .

- Presuming they did this around or at the deadline, most of his $6M for this season will be gone and then he makes $6.5M next season followed by $7M in the final season (team option). So they'd only really have to overpay him for one season.

- They could do this, re-sign Ginobili for $8M, Splitter for $6M and Jackson and Neal for $3M, still only have roughly $56M committed for next season and all they'll need to add is a fifth big. A minimum shooter like Leuer/Harrellson would suffice and leave them below $57M, giving them probably around $3M in cap space, meaning they could make a lopsided trade should something promising arise.

- Should they sour on this alignment, Splitter and Johnson could seamlessly swap roles.

Kidd K
11-26-2012, 11:35 PM
We're not getting any big name guys like Josh Smith via trade or free agency. No point in even talking about it tbh. We're a barrel scraping team, not a cream of the crop team.

Also, "next year" will be too late. This is the last year we're going to have a reasonable chance at doing anything. And yes, the only way that happens is if the planets align. It's still a possibility though. Next year, Manu will be even worse, Duncan won't be this good again, Jackson may be gone, Diaw will be fatter, and Parker may start to lose a step.

Honestly speaking, the last two years were our last two really good chances at winning a title. Our window's about to shut this season. We're just going to be a good but not elite team next year. We may be slipping down to that status already. . .but I'm reserving my final thought on that until we have our full team together.

spurraider21
11-26-2012, 11:47 PM
I don't see why we can't be at LEAST as good as last season, where we put up a heck of a fight in the WCF. Considering the level Timmy is playing at, all bets are out the window tbh

therealtruth
11-27-2012, 01:30 AM
Granted, this is coming on the heels of Duncan-Splitter playing better together than they probably ever have, but I'm beginning to think this is the way to go. It's the best of both worlds, in the sense that they'd have a credible starting power forward and they'd have four solid bigs.

The best realistic option I see to make this work is Amir Johnson. He's not actually a center, but he's played it for two years and he's a solid enough post defender/rim protector to get away with it in most match-ups (and Diaw is a stout enough post defender that they could cross match at times, too). Plus, he's a good roll man and a hard nosed competitor. Given the way the Raptors season is going and their cap picture, they may be willing to salary dump him for Bonner, Blair and Joseph. By doing so, they would open up a decent amount of cap space.

Other things I like from the Spurs perspective . . .

- Presuming they did this around or at the deadline, most of his $6M for this season will be gone and then he makes $6.5M next season followed by $7M in the final season (team option). So they'd only really have to overpay him for one season.

- They could do this, re-sign Ginobili for $8M, Splitter for $6M and Jackson and Neal for $3M, still only have roughly $56M committed for next season and all they'll need to add is a fifth big. A minimum shooter like Leuer/Harrellson would suffice and leave them below $57M, giving them probably around $3M in cap space, meaning they could make a lopsided trade should something promising arise.

- Should they sour on this alignment, Splitter and Johnson could seamlessly swap roles.

Splitter's starting spot should have been his to lose from day 1. Can you imagine how much better he and the team would be if Pop had done that instead of trying to accomodate Blair/Bonner because of some misguided sense of fairness? A coach should know better than anyone else it's not about fairness but putting your team in the best possible position to win. If you have a seven footer that can improve your defense and help get you easy baskets you play him.

aal04
11-27-2012, 02:01 AM
The youngins should be lining up for a chance to play in SAS. Yes small market team, but best FO in the league. Look at Kawhi ffs, hes been blessed with every piece of support and opportunity available.

People like Drummond whos being swept under the rug but has amazing potential should be gunning for a SAS contract! Brb. Learn how to play big man ball from TD.

SpursRock20
11-27-2012, 02:10 AM
The youngins should be lining up for a chance to play in SAS. Yes small market team, but best FO in the league. Look at Kawhi ffs, hes been blessed with every piece of support and opportunity available.

People like Drummond whos being swept under the rug but has amazing potential should be gunning for a SAS contract! Brb. Learn how to play big man ball from TD.

If only this was the case...

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-27-2012, 02:51 AM

Yup, case in point - our greatest FA acquisitions - Rasho and Finley :lol

TampaDude
11-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Spurs over Heat in 6. LOB #5 is in the bag, folks. Book it.

TD 21
11-27-2012, 06:45 PM
Splitter's starting spot should have been his to lose from day 1. Can you imagine how much better he and the team would be if Pop had done that instead of trying to accomodate Blair/Bonner because of some misguided sense of fairness? A coach should know better than anyone else it's not about fairness but putting your team in the best possible position to win. If you have a seven footer that can improve your defense and help get you easy baskets you play him.

I know what Pop said, but this was never about fairness. I don't even think it was about Duncan and Splitter supposedly being ill-fitted to playing together. This was always about having one rim protector in the game at all times and managing Duncan's minutes.

The only way they could have played them together, made sure they always had one in and managed Duncan's minutes, would have been to have Splitter play well over 30+. They obviously don't think he can handle that.

rascal
11-27-2012, 09:06 PM
Spurs over Heat in 6. LOB #5 is in the bag, folks. Book it.

You booked a title last year.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-27-2012, 09:19 PM
We're barely a month into the season. I'm going to wait until at least mid-January to judge where this team may be going.

Obstructed_View
11-28-2012, 03:58 AM
I don't see why we can't be at LEAST as good as last season, where we put up a heck of a fight in the WCF. Considering the level Timmy is playing at, all bets are out the window tbh

A better Spurs team goes to the finals and loses to Miami. I was pushing for them to get there last year because it was probably the last chance anyone has to beat the Heat for the next few years.

ChuckD
11-28-2012, 08:08 AM

Drummond is a lazy ass with no motor and wouldn't last one season under Pop. There's a reason he was projected as #1 or #2 overall, pre-season, but almost fell out of the top 10. Detroit is now starting to realize why he was available. He's also the kind of player you can't fix, because the problem isn't basketball, it's indifference, and interest only in your paycheck.

ChuckD
11-28-2012, 08:12 AM

And you had us as a first round out. He was closer than you.

ChuckD
11-28-2012, 08:16 AM
A better Spurs team goes to the finals and loses to Miami. I was pushing for them to get there last year because it was probably the last chance anyone has to beat the Heat for the next few years.

Miami isn't close to being as good as they were last year, record not withstanding. Their defense has almost dropped off a cliff, and they seem to be resting on their laurels. Wade is more broken down than Manu, tbh.

Obstructed_View
11-28-2012, 08:43 AM
Miami isn't close to being as good as they were last year, record not withstanding. Their defense has almost dropped off a cliff, and they seem to be resting on their laurels. Wade is more broken down than Manu, tbh.

Playing with their second best player out, playing half assed ball, playing with a championship hangover, not playing defense, and still having a better record than last year should tell you something. You can whistle through the graveyard all you'd like, but the LOB is theirs to lose for the next several seasons.

therealtruth
11-28-2012, 08:43 AM

Getting to the finals two years in a row definitely takes a toll.

Old School 44
11-28-2012, 09:11 AM
I agree, it's Miami's to lose, but Miami's biggest advantage isn't LeBron or Wade, it's that they play in the East. They practically have a bye into the Finals.
I wonder how they would perform in the playoffs/finals if they had to run the West's gauntlet.

rascal
11-28-2012, 12:37 PM
And you had us as a first round out. He was closer than you.

Not true. No way I thought Utah over San Antonio, I called the Spurs in a sweep in the first round.

rascal
11-28-2012, 12:38 PM

They are a better team then last year, they have a deeper bench.

TampaDude
11-28-2012, 12:46 PM

Odd year this time. Spurs = 2013 CHAMPS!

Book.

It.

therealtruth
11-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Odd year this time. Spurs = 2013 CHAMPS!

Book.

It.

That's why we failed last year.

TampaDude
11-28-2012, 01:31 PM
That's why we failed last year.

Yup...2013 will be to 2012 like 2007 was to 2006. :hat

Spurs Brazil
03-31-2013, 08:25 PM
Heat defense killed us. KILLED