PDA

View Full Version : Appreciating Tim Duncan's Resurgence

Dex
11-26-2012, 12:52 PM
We are still young on this 2012-2013 season, so obviously the sample size is small. But as we have all noticed, Tim Duncan is playing a rejuvenated brand of basketball and appears to have found the fountain of youth in the off-season.

Considering many of us expected Duncan to hang them up after his contact expired last season (and some posters were actually calling for this so that the Spurs could go into "tank mode"), watching him play so far this year has been an absolute surprise and a joy to behold. Since 1999, I've rued the day that the Spurs would take the floor without number 21, and I'm so relieved that those fears have been put on hold for at least another couple of seasons. Not only is he still playing, he is playing like one of the best bigmen in the league at age 36.

What Duncan provides is obviously bigger than just the numbers: he is the Spurs foundation. He is the face of the franchise, the cornerstone of the defense, and the leader of the pack. As Tim goes, so goes this team, and with the way he is playing so far, I imagine he is making many a Spurs fan feel better about this team's chances.

But for the appreciators and the doubters alike, here are some striking statistics about how The Big Fundamental has turned back the clock fourteen games into this season:

14th in Scoring at 19 PPG (Tied for 2nd at the Center position)

11th at Scoring Per 48 Minutes at 29 PP48 (2nd at the Center position)

9th in Rebounding at 10.5 RPG (6th at the Center position)

6th in Blocks at 2.36 BLKPG (6th at the Center position).

18th at FG% at .517 (12th at the Center position)

77th at Minutes Played at 31.4 MPG.

Shooting Free Throws at a .760 clip, the highest it has been since 2001-2002 and third highest percentage of his career.

3rd in NBA.com's Efficiency Rankings at 25.6, behind Lebron and Durant. (1st at the Center position).

1st in NBA.com's Efficiency Per 48 Mins at 39.14 (for player's who have played at least 6 MPG).

2nd in Hollinger's Efficiency Rankings at 27.27, behind only Lebron James at 28.57 (1st at the Center position).

Duncan is currently on a 4-game streak with at least 20 points and 5 rebounds, which he has not done since November of 2009.

Prior to yesterday's 5-rebound outing, Duncan was on a 3-game streak of at least 20 points and 14 rebounds, which he had not done since January of 2004.

http://theleftahead.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/tim-duncan-2005-nba-championship-with-2-trophies-112.jpg
Regardless of how this season ends for the Spurs, enjoy this chance to watch one of the All Time Greats in action. We may never see another player like him in the silver and black, which is not to be pessimistic; Tim Duncan has just set the bar incredibly high for this organization.

Mel_13
11-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Outstanding post. :tu

People, this won't last forever. If you've never seen TD play in person, or it's been a long time, go out and buy your ticket now. Get there early and don't waste your time at the concessions. We won't see the likes of him again.

Amuseddaysleeper
11-26-2012, 01:23 PM

People, this won't last forever. If you've never seen TD play in person, or it's been a long time, go out and buy your ticket now. Get there early and don't waste your time at the concessions. We won't see the likes of him again.

Amen

Kool Bob Love
11-26-2012, 01:32 PM

would pay to see TD play at the local park.

i didnt cry when Jordan retired....i will when Duncan does.

:(

lefty
11-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Meh .......

It's only November

polandprzem
11-26-2012, 01:38 PM
:cry

benefactor
11-26-2012, 01:41 PM
:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

spurs10
11-26-2012, 01:52 PM

Hear, hear!!!:toast

JRHernandez88
11-26-2012, 02:07 PM
Salute

spurspokesman
11-26-2012, 02:12 PM
The thing most people appreciate is the fact that everything he accomplished in his career was done in a quiet and humble manner. He is still amongst the leagues elite at an advanced age and will go down as the greatest power forward of all time and yet you never heard much out of him. It will be sad to see him hang em up but tim has and continues too make us all damn proud to be a spurs fan. "TILL THE WHEELS FALL OFF"

will_spurs
11-26-2012, 02:17 PM
I was just quizzing some friends about this today by sending them this:

Player #1: 19ppg, 10.5rpg, 2.6apg, 2.4bpg, 1.5to, 2 fouls in 31.4mpg
Player #2: 18ppg, 10.6rpg, 2.1apg, 2.7bpg, 3.3to, 3.7 fouls in 36.5mpg

Player #1 = Tim Duncan
Player #2 = Dwight Howard

'nuff said.

Brazil
11-26-2012, 02:21 PM

Amen !

:tu

Kuestmaster
11-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Greatest PF of all time. And it won't be another like him. It's a disgrace how often people disrespects him.

timvp
11-26-2012, 04:22 PM
Great post, Dex.

Out of nowhere, TD is playing like Prime Tim Duncan again. It's been the best early Christmas gift a Spurs fan could ask for, if you ask me. It's going to end at some point but in a way this season is already memorable. I know a lot of Spurs fans think the players and coaches are utter disgraces unless they win a championship at the end of the season but this sort of subplot is why the journey should be enjoyed at least as much as the end result.

xtremesteven33
11-26-2012, 04:27 PM
Good post. Such a shame the majority of sports fans dont appreciate the greatness of Tim Duncan. Not in his flashy play or 6 championships but in his consistency and dominance of the game every year.

Its like I was telling my friend the other day. It doesnt get me so upset that people that dont live in San Antonio dont appreciate the modern day Bill Russell. Its the People in San Antonio who dont care only until the playoffs come around. They take for granted making it there every year while other cities celebrate when they actually have the opportunity.

The Living Legend and the best bigman today. Tim Duncan.

mathbzh
11-26-2012, 04:36 PM
Great post, Dex.
I know a lot of Spurs fans think the players and coaches are utter disgraces unless they win a championship at the end of the season but this sort of subplot is why the journey should be enjoyed at least as much as the end result.
My feeling exactly

TD 21
11-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Not only is he still playing, he is playing like one of the best bigmen in the league at age 36.

He's not playing like one of the best big men in the league, he's playing like the best big man in the league. It's convenient to say that Howard isn't all the way back and Bynum isn't back at all, but the reality is, neither has ever put up anything close to a PER between 27-28, which is the stratosphere Duncan has been in virtually all season.

I'd have to go and search to pinpoint the exact game, but this goes back to about 2 weeks before the All-Star break last season. Granted, he wasn't quite playing at this level then, but cumulatively, there hasn't been a better big since.

timtonymanu
11-26-2012, 05:17 PM
Great post, Dex.

Duncan's greatness can never not be mentioned. He's having an outstanding season so far. It's nice to see after a lot of people on this site thought he was done just a year ago.

DPG21920
11-26-2012, 05:24 PM
I know everyone is thinking it....

time to sell high on Tim Duncan?

Dex
11-26-2012, 09:34 PM
I know everyone is thinking it....

time to sell high on Tim Duncan?

http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/GifGuide/michael_scott/The-Office-gifs-the-office-14948948-240-196.gif

Poolboy5623
11-26-2012, 09:51 PM
I to, want to make love to Timmys play...this season will undoubtedly hinge on if he can keep up said level of play. Sure would be nice if he had some better help and didn't have to be so relied upon. Would be fitting to see td go out on top...not that it's necessary but it sure helped with Robinson retiring.

Rapper
11-27-2012, 12:00 AM
The future Hall of famer

TDMVPDPOY
11-27-2012, 12:13 AM
this is probably the last and best season duncan could live up to my nickname...TDMVPDPOY, hopefully he ends up with either one of these awards

Dex
11-27-2012, 12:22 AM
this is probably the last and best season duncan could live up to my nickname...TDMVPDPOY, hopefully he ends up with either one of these awards

Would love to see Duncan add that elusive DPOY to his resume...

Unfortunately, will probably go to Chandler or Howard (after missing a quarter of the year) because they play for NY or LA.

If the voters really considered the Spurs defense with Duncan vs. without him, he'd stand a fighting chance.

TDMVPDPOY
11-27-2012, 12:33 AM
Would love to see Duncan add that elusive DPOY to his resume...

Unfortunately, will probably go to Chandler or Howard (after missing a quarter of the year) because they play for NY or LA.

If the voters really considered the Spurs defense with Duncan vs. without him, he'd stand a fighting chance.

most of these clowns dont even attempt to block dunk shots, i dont take them serious if they just back off from those poster dunkers...

dylankerouac
11-27-2012, 12:45 AM
Hear, hear great post Dex!

HI-FI
11-27-2012, 07:26 PM

great post. I never have been to a Spurs game, even though living a few hours away. I plan on seeing them at least once this year, hopefully some more before TD calls it quits. I'll be honest, not last season but the season before that,I was starting to think he was done and it was time to tank. But his renewed vigor and purpose has reawakened my appreciation for him.

ThaBigFundamental21
11-27-2012, 07:38 PM
Good post indeed. It's a joy to watch Timmy play, and even better to see him play at such a high level. I don't get to see the Spurs in person as much as I like to, but rest assured when they are here the 18th, I'm going to savor the experience. That's if Pop doesn't sit him lol. My wife and I already have our tickets!!!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-27-2012, 09:27 PM
Nice work, Dex. :tu

I thought Tim would be just about hanging up the boots by now, but I'm so happy that he's not. Watching his resurgence this year has been an unexpected joy, hope he can keep it up!

Tim clearly wants that 5th ring badly, and obviously still has a deep fire in his gut for the game we all love, so who knows where the HoFer can lead this team? And even if the answer isn't a championship, having watched him play at this level at age 36 is still a rare privilege.

I hope we see is a fair bit of rest for Tim (sitting some b2bs, lots of rest during blowouts) in the dog days for Jan, Feb and Mar to keep his legs fresh for the real season beginning April. ;)

Killakobe81
11-27-2012, 09:40 PM
A few seasons ago he didnt look quite done, but diminished. Duncan is a true pleasure to watch him and Kobe are arguably still the best SG and C in the game .... I don't think I would take Blake, or Zbo or anyone else over Tim for one series or game at PF and at C maybe only a healthy Dwight. I'm not taking even Wade over Kobe either. 2 greats that people should appreciate before its too late.

howbouthemspurs
11-27-2012, 10:04 PM
I was in middle school when Timmy entered the league. Was a freshmen in high school when he won his first NBA title. Graduated Highschool before he won his second. Joined the military and deployed to Iraq after he won his third. Deployed again to Iraq after he won his fourth. I've watched the Tim and the Spurs play from all over the world. I watched from Germany, Austria, France, Ireland, Italy, Spain, Iraq, Kuwait, Japan and many other countries. NBA League pass is an awesome thing! Tim Duncan will go down as one of the 5 greatest players in history. I believe he will win one more Championship and no matter where i'm at in the world I will be cheering for him and watching. If he is not in the All Star game this time around, it would be a travesty to sports.

Dex
11-28-2012, 08:09 PM
Just one more stat to add:

1st in 3-Point % at .667 (1st at the Center position) :lol

P.S. Just ahead of Matt Bonner in 2nd with .632

*Ok, actually tied for 9th considering All players, not just Qualified....still respectable*

Mel_13
05-26-2013, 12:33 PM
Regardless of how this season ends for the Spurs, enjoy this chance to watch one of the All Time Greats in action. We may never see another player like him in the silver and black, which is not to be pessimistic; Tim Duncan has just set the bar incredibly high for this organization.

Out of nowhere, TD is playing like Prime Tim Duncan again. It's been the best early Christmas gift a Spurs fan could ask for, if you ask me. It's going to end at some point but in a way this season is already memorable. I know a lot of Spurs fans think the players and coaches are utter disgraces unless they win a championship at the end of the season but this sort of subplot is why the journey should be enjoyed at least as much as the end result.

He's not playing like one of the best big men in the league, he's playing like the best big man in the league.

Bump

Great OP by Dex.