PDA

View Full Version : Quick Grades: Spurs @ Wizards - Nov. 26, 2012

timvp
11-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Tim Duncan A
Dominant on D. Laser-like precision on offense. His MVP level play continues.

Manu Ginobili A
Extremely sharp in all aspects. It looks like he’s getting really close to breaking out.

Tony Parker A-
Very good aggression. Run the offense perfectly … and with ease. D good but not great.

Danny Green C+
Three-point streak ends. Passing was a plus but D and rebounding lacking.

Gary Neal B-
Respectable results but didn’t love his decision-making at either end.

DeJuan Blair C
Praiseworthy rebounding numbers but his boundless energy wasn’t focused.

Tiago Splitter A+
One of the most jaw-dropping stat lines you’ll ever see for a backup center. Amazing all-around game.

Boris Diaw A-
Second straight game with season-high in points. Passing excelling, per usual. Rebounding MIA.

Patrick Mills A-
Utilized his speed and vitality effectively. When the team’s passing is crisp, Mills usefulness skyrockets.

Nando De Colo B
More otherworldly passes. D surprisingly good. Apparently is capable of converting field goal attempts.

Matt Bonner B+
Might be the best shooter in basketball history in an open gym. Tonight was basically an open gym.

Cory Joseph Inc.
Confidence, passing, defense, ball-handling and awareness all looked hugely improved from last season.

James Anderson Inc.
Appears to be in better shape and was jumper higher than the last time we saw him in silver and black.

Pop A-
Made the right call by not sitting Big 3. Got the win playing all but one less than half the game (Neal 26).

letmk
11-26-2012, 10:24 PM
Hope Manu can break out in the nationally broadcasted Miami game.

superjames1992
11-26-2012, 10:31 PM
How did Diaw only manage one rebound in 23 minutes? Yikes. That's Bonner-esque (or worse). Good game for him shooting, though, which was encouraging as he's been invisible for most of the season offensively.

Manu with 12 points, five rebounds, and five assists in 20 minutes. Not bad!

Parker seems to have forgotten that point guards are supposed to pass the basketball. He only managed to notch five assists against Toronto (in 46 minutes) and only dished out two meager assists tonight in 22 minutes of action. Granted, he's shooting really well lately, but still, that's ridiculous for an NBA PG.

acoelho1
11-26-2012, 10:42 PM
I was at the game tonight and the Spurs hardly broke a sweat dispatching the Wizards. I'm glad Pop benched Blair in the 2nd half and it was good to see the big lineup of Duncan, Splitter and Diaw. It would be great if we could get another defensive physical big at the trading deadline. I'm not looking for scorer but someone with size and can rebound in the trenches.

superjames1992
11-26-2012, 10:48 PM
What did you all think of the lineup in the first half where Timmy and Manu were in the game at the same time for quite a few minutes while Tony sat on the bench? I don't think we've seen that lineup before (at least this season).

DPG21920
11-26-2012, 10:59 PM
timvp any thoughts on why Blair was benched in the 2nd half except for mop up time?

timvp
11-26-2012, 11:02 PM
^Seraphin and Okafor is a pretty damn large PF/C combo. To begin the game, Seraphin was just overwhelming Blair with his size and athleticism. Pop went with Duncan and Splitter to match their size ... plus probably as a reward for Splitter playing well in the first half.

DPG21920
11-26-2012, 11:03 PM
But then why Bonner in the game before Blair when he is no stronger in the 2nd half?

letmk
11-26-2012, 11:13 PM
But then why Bonner in the game before Blair when he is no stronger in the 2nd half?

I don't think Pop necessarily prefers Blair over Bonner. He just uses Blair to eat some minutes for the long season. Assuming we don't make any trade, coming playoff time, I expect Pop to use Tim/Diaw/Splitter rotation with Bonner coming in for certain situation. Will not use Blair at all.

Stabula
11-26-2012, 11:19 PM
At this point I'd honestly rather have Bonner than Blair in the rotation.

timvp
11-26-2012, 11:21 PM

1. It was already headed toward a blowout so I don't think Pop put too much thought into it. Just emptying his bench.

2. The Wizards had just replaced Okafor with Chris Singleton. Singleton isn't really a player you want Blair to defend.

DPG21920
11-26-2012, 11:23 PM
Makes some sense, just odd considering you yank him from the starting line up at half time - you figure you would massage his feelings by putting him in before other bigs. Plus, I wasn't aware that there was a player you wanted Bonner to defend tbh :lol

timvp
11-26-2012, 11:35 PM
Makes some sense, just odd considering you yank him from the starting line up at half time - you figure you would massage his feelings by putting him in before other bigs.When Pop doesn't start Blair in a half, Blair usually ends up not playing at all. Getting fourth quarter minutes was a bonus.

Plus, I wasn't aware that there was a player you wanted Bonner to defend tbh :lolSingleton is a perfect candidate. An impotent small forward who will mostly hang out on the perimeter but can't really do anything on that end? Sounds like the best possible matchup for Bonner.

DAF86
11-26-2012, 11:50 PM
Free Tiago, tbh. At least 30 minutes per game no matter what and you'll see him become much more regular.

TDMVPDPOY
11-26-2012, 11:52 PM
splitters recent form...for the last 5 games...reminds me of the season when rasho was posting up +15ppg 8rpg when duncan was out injured for 1-2 weeks...

if he can continue to give us that sort of production when it really counts, spurs will be hard to stop

Boomersgold
11-27-2012, 12:00 AM
Splitter's always been capable of these numbers. It's just his consistency that needs improving.

freetiago
11-27-2012, 12:22 AM
blair garbage as usual
cant go one game without his patented spin left get ball stuffed back in face
greens also been slumping lately
spurs offensive problems are pretty much their inabiltiy to hit 3s at a league leading % like they have the past 2 seasons
i think they had 5 guys in the top 20 if you include jefferson and this year they dont have one in the top 40 right now
games where they knock them down so far theyve gotten to around the 120 mark pretty easily

one thing to note about Splitter is that most of his numbers came while playing next to duncan

TDMVPDPOY
11-27-2012, 12:31 AM
contract year and splitter is outperforming the guys on the team that is also up for new contracts...blair, bonner needs to fkn go seriously....

therealtruth
11-27-2012, 01:24 AM
Free Tiago, tbh. At least 30 minutes per game no matter what and you'll see him become much more regular.

Floyd Pacquiao
11-27-2012, 02:39 AM
green is very streaky, he started off the season pretty good tbh but over the last few games he's gone back into that slump...he's got to find a way to consistently hit his 3s or else were looking at another choke job

chazley
11-27-2012, 02:43 AM
Bonner started dominating in that 4th quarter after someone on the Wiz started talking shit to him. If he played with as much aggressiveness on the offensive end in the 4th Q tonight as he did tonight every night, he'd be a huge asset for our team.

Richie
11-27-2012, 02:57 AM
Splitter had 15/12/7 with 2 steals and 2 blocks in only 23 minutes? Why didn't he play more? Could have got a triple double!!

TDMVPDPOY
11-27-2012, 03:21 AM
Splitter had 15/12/7 with 2 steals and 2 blocks in only 23 minutes? Why didn't he play more? Could have got a triple double!!

pop is saving his hot hands, hoping that it will carry over next game...

he has a habit of doing this with every player on the team who gets hot and benches them, only to come back the offense not going to them or them just going cold

playblair
11-27-2012, 04:41 AM
tiago is too much of a finesse player to guard z-bo.... gasol.... howard..... jordan.... jefferson... in the playoffs ... blair is the only spur big physically strong enough to guard the west bigs

DAF86
11-27-2012, 04:55 AM
tiago is too much of a finesse player to guard z-bo.... gasol.... howard..... jordan.... jefferson... in the playoffs ... blair is the only spur big physically strong enough to guard the west bigs

Blair can't guard shit. He's the worst defensive big in the league, probably in the World.

Manufan909
11-27-2012, 04:56 AM

1) TD is strong enough to guard them
2) Splitter can handle all of them better than any big not named Duncan, and Diaw in Pau Gasol's case
3) Idk if Blair is still strong enough to not get backed down by any of the bigs you mentioned, but the more important fact is that they all can easily score over Blair, they don't even have to go thru them

Btw, does anyone know who Splitter blocked, and if he was 100% on his patented hip-release hook shots this game? I can't believe I didn't watch the game, even though I was completely free.

EDIT: Beat me to it DAF.:toast

Rummpd
11-27-2012, 07:52 AM
The Verizon Center was Spurs Town East as I got to the game late (at least 20% Spurs fansa and lots of Spurs jersies) - chazley is right Bonner got pissed off about something and played out of his mind.

Spurs ball movement was special last PM as was Manu's fake out play.

cd98
11-27-2012, 08:16 AM
Splitter racked up the stats against the worst team in the league. I'd like to see him do the same thing to Miami. Here's hoping he does.

ManuTastic
11-27-2012, 08:51 AM
Fun game against a miserable team. Hope everyone enjoyed their free passes to the hoop. As for who sits and who plays vs. Miami, well, we all know Pop gonna do what Pop gonna do.

UZER
11-27-2012, 09:02 AM
Haha such a typical Bonner game. Dude looks awesome when there is no pressure. He hit three after three, a pull up fade-away curling off the baseline....get outta here man. This is probably what Pop sees in practice everyday.

He reminds me of the looney toons cartoon with the singing frog when nobody is around..."HELLO MY DARLING HELLO MY SWEETHEART HELLO MY RAGTIME GAL!"

http://www.thebuzzmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/wb_signing_frog.gif

koriwhat
11-27-2012, 09:26 AM
fuck bonner!

wildbill2u
11-27-2012, 10:16 AM
Splitter needs minutes. He can't get into a regular rhythm without regular minutes. Pop needs to play him over twenty minutes per game, regardless of his production in individual games. He can be very good and consistent IMHO if he gets into a rhythm with consistent minutes.

tmtcsc
11-27-2012, 10:22 AM
Nice one..

AaronY
11-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Haha such a typical Bonner game. Dude looks awesome when there is no pressure. He hit three after three, a pull up fade-away curling off the baseline....get outta here man. This is probably what Pop sees in practice everyday.

He reminds me of the looney toons cartoon with the singing frog when nobody is around..."HELLO MY DARLING HELLO MY SWEETHEART HELLO MY RAGTIME GAL!"

http://www.thebuzzmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/wb_signing_frog.gif

lol

roycrikside
11-27-2012, 01:12 PM
It wasn't surprising at all to see Manu look sharp. The 1-of-7 on threes against Raptors was misleading. If you watched the game you saw that all the shots were on line and just rimmed out. He wasn't missing badly wide left or right like before.

playblair
11-27-2012, 03:04 PM
to the posters defending splitter over blair let me remind you tiago is the same big who couldn't post up derek fisher .....

blair has the history to prove he can dominate the thunder .... he plays great d against griffin ....

TheSkeptic
11-27-2012, 03:13 PM
to the posters defending splitter over blair let me remind you tiago is the same big who couldn't post up derek fisher .....

blair has the history to prove he can dominate the thunder .... he plays great d against griffin ....

Look, Blair has the ability to be a quality big off the bench. He's in line for a pay upgrade and on account of him being better than Bonner -atm anyway- he'll always have a place in the rotation because we don't really have that many bigs.

What we all care about is the playoffs. Tiago playing to his potential coupled with Diaw playing more aggressively could be the combination that gives the team a puncher's chance assuming that the big 3 stays healthy and our 3 point shooters are decent. Blair probably won't be in the playoff rotation.

playblair
11-27-2012, 03:27 PM
^ blir was benched the last 2 playoffs ... that didn't work out so great ... blair = the toughness needed

TDomination
11-27-2012, 03:33 PM
Wow I had no idea James Anderson was back. I saw him go in and I was like what the heck. Is it just a temporary thing since both Jax and Kawhi are out?

Mel_13
11-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Wow I had no idea James Anderson was back. I saw him go in and I was like what the heck. Is it just a temporary thing since both Jax and Kawhi are out?

Yes. He'll probably be waived when Leonard returns.

Mel_13
11-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Look, Blair has the ability to be a quality big off the bench. He's in line for a pay upgrade and on account of him being better than Bonner -atm anyway- he'll always have a place in the rotation because we don't really have that many bigs.

What we all care about is the playoffs. Tiago playing to his potential coupled with Diaw playing more aggressively could be the combination that gives the team a puncher's chance assuming that the big 3 stays healthy and our 3 point shooters are decent. Blair probably won't be in the playoff rotation.

This pretty much sums it up. Splitter playing at or near his best can combine with TD and Diaw to form a very good playoff bigman rotation. There may be moments to use Blair in the playoffs, but he's simply too small to be a regular rotation player for a team looking to make a deep playoff run.

^ blir was benched the last 2 playoffs ... that didn't work out so great ... blair = the toughness needed

I know you're a big Blair fan, but that's some seriously flawed logic.

DMC
11-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Blair is much more of a liability on the floor than is Bonner. Bonner at least commands a defender on offense even if he is just a traffic cone on defense (Blair isn't much better). It sucks we have these two to choose from.

Just as impressive to me was the fact the Spurs exited the building in about a half hour after the game. Got in, neutralized their target, got out undetected. Black ops.

HI-FI
11-27-2012, 05:03 PM
Nice one..

lol, awesome sig.
I looked that clip up, you could tell that cameraman wanted to hold onto that shot of perfect breasts as long as possible before tilting down. damn French have some hot women.

back to the game thread...Nando made some jawdropping passes per par. I wish Bonner channeled this anger when it mattered most. I know it's the popular thing on here to hate on him, but I still think he can have a role on this team.

tmtcsc
11-27-2012, 05:11 PM
I couldn't wait to learn me some French. :p: That was back in the day.

Brazil
11-27-2012, 05:35 PM
I couldn't wait to learn me some French. :p: That was back in the day.

toi parler tres bien la francais

tmtcsc
11-27-2012, 06:16 PM
Merci. Elle a une belle paire de noix de coco.

freetiago
11-27-2012, 06:27 PM
lol is this clown really saying blair is tough
how you seen his twitter
he has the mentality of a 12 year old girl
all the bad starts weve had so far on this trip have been due to blair not being able to play any defense
david west and kevin seraphin both shat on him multiple times

playblair
11-27-2012, 07:51 PM
^crofl blair is playing with no acls & has only missed 1 career games due to injury (this season) + blair plays physical in the post

splitter is injured every 3 games ..... while being a finesse player ..........