PDA

View Full Version : I say rest the big 3 for the Magic game and take the Heat on at full strength

$pursDynasty
11-27-2012, 12:22 AM
I know Pop will do what Pop will do but I really want to see the Spurs at full strength against the Heat in Miami. I would be willing to hurt our chances against the Magic to see it. Not that I am giving up on the game mind you, the bench won more than a few of those magical Pop sit outs last year. There is also the risk of throwing away one game at the hopes of another that you might not win. That being said I just knew it was going to be a Heat vs Spurs final last year until the Thunder ruined it. We only get two shots at these guys and only one at their house. A win here might say best record be darned if we meet in the finals it is going to be a fight :ihit. Pop has rested guys for crazier reasons than this so I say why not?

SpursRock20
11-27-2012, 12:25 AM
I bet he plans on limiting the big 3. If we play to our potential, we should put the Magic away early and limit our stars' minutes.

dylankerouac
11-27-2012, 12:37 AM
I bet the good guys are looking for some payback. Last year's game was looking good for the Spurs and then they got completely shut down in the second half. That was before Boris and Jack too. Unfortunately, I think Jack and Kawhi will be out. Either way, I believe.

DesignatedT
11-27-2012, 12:42 AM
and possibly lose both?

DPG21920
11-27-2012, 12:43 AM
Spurs should beat ORL without a member or two of the big 3, but I agree, sit them against MIA if you are going to sit them. Baby Bargs should not be an issue though.

Floyd Pacquiao
11-27-2012, 12:48 AM
spurs are missing key defenders kawhi and jack they are not going into the game full strength tbh I expect lebron to drop 40 10 & 15

SpurSwag
11-27-2012, 01:23 AM
I agree with this, a lineup of Mills, Neal, Green, Boris, and Tiago is more than capable of beating the magic...but really, they should do what they did tonight and just play the starters really limited minutes and try to blow the game wide open. Offensively we should be able to match Miami, especially considering their defensive decline. I just don't think we have anything close to an answer for Lebron right now, dude is on another planet when guarded by elite sf defenders, but being guarded by manu/green/boris could get ugly fast

KaiRMD1
11-27-2012, 02:56 AM
I say rest them up for Saturday's game, that's gonna be a VERY tough and physical match up. I wouldn't even worry about the Heat much as opposed to the Grizzlies, they look like far tougher competition than the Heat.

racm
11-27-2012, 05:52 AM
The Heat are an elite offensive team (IIRC 1st overall in ORtg and eFG%) yet aren't playing defense well (25th in DRtg). Like the Spurs, they have a great record because they manage to out-execute their opponents in crunch time. With Shane Battier out their defense and offense (he's one of their knockdown 3 shooters) will be even less potent

So I say it's a shoot-out.

The Grizzlies are 4th in ORtg and 3rd in DRtg, compared to the Spurs who stand at 5th in both (!) They're much tougher, and I think having Kawhi back for this game changes things; he did a good job on Rudy Gay last season.

Kuestmaster
11-27-2012, 05:57 AM
without kawhi and jack I'd rather do the opposite and only lose the miami game.

spurraider21
11-27-2012, 06:12 AM
Some people here actually want to rest players during the Miami game? Please. It is arguably the toughest game we will have all regular season. A heck of a test, and its a good way for Pop to see what we're really up against. If we win, all is great, and if we lose, it was a road game on a back to back and we are missing the 2 players who would spend the entire game on LeBron.

I like the idea of starting Duncan and Blair, with Blair guarding Lebron for the first 4-5 minutes, and once Manu checks in off the bench have Manu check LeBron. The problem with Manu on LeBron is that LeBron has been playing from the post much more often this year, and he can just outmuscle Manu. Without Kawhi or Jax its the best we can do tbh

racm
11-27-2012, 06:56 AM
The Grizz game is a better barometer, really. Miami's unbeaten at home for a reason.

Paranoid Pop
11-27-2012, 07:25 AM
Yeah we're losing the Miami game no matter what, the real question is are we looking at two beatdowns in a row with the Grizzlies coming up right after that...

cd98
11-27-2012, 08:13 AM
Go all out in Orlando. Playoff seeding is a numbers game and all victories count the same regardless of the quality of the win. Why risk losing a game against a bad team for a small chance to beat the best team on its home court?

therealtruth
11-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Everyone should realize by now wins and loses don't matter in the regular season if you're not improving as a team. And feasting on bad teams doesn't help you improve. It's playing the good teams that helps you improve. When I see the Spurs lose four straight in the playoffs I can't help but think the attitude of giving up on games carries over from the regular season. If you want to be an elite team you can't get enough games against the good teams. The Spurs do this every year. The play the regular season to maximize wins then when the playoffs come around they lack any fight and can't get enough rest between games.

spurspokesman
11-27-2012, 09:12 AM
and possibly lose both?

This. Just win the gimmes and give the longshots a shot. Sheesh

Amuseddaysleeper
11-27-2012, 09:28 AM
Yeah we're losing the Miami game no matter what, the real question is are we looking at two beatdowns in a row with the Grizzlies coming up right after that...

Grizzlies will be on a b2b when they face us. They'll be playing the Pistons the night before, which is essentially like having a light practice, but still.

DanAu
11-27-2012, 09:31 AM
big 3 to play 20 mins both games, no more unless the miami game is winnable in the last 5 mins

Captivus
11-27-2012, 09:38 AM
and possibly lose both?

This. Theres enough time to play against good teams when the PO starts. I would try to outscore Orlando as fast as i can (like every other game) and try to rest them as much as possible, but thats it.
The number 1 seed is much more important than winning against Miami...which is not impossible...but still.
Besides, Jax and Kiwi arent playing.

swaggerjackson
11-27-2012, 10:48 AM
I say play everybody at full strength, but I would make sure the big 3 don't play too many minutes. If we lose it doesn't matter because Kawhi and Jax are out, but if we win it might get in Miami's head a little bit because they know we could beat them shorthanded.

Rummpd
11-27-2012, 10:58 AM
There is no reason for this Spurs team playing at a high level to fear any team. A team does not set historical road records by accident and the BS that the Spurs were outmatched in the playoffs against the Thunder (when they were screwed by the worst officiated ever ) should not color how strong this team potentially is when it is hitting shots and moving the ball like the last few games. Every team in the league has some issues - Heat included especially if Pop goes back to the Diaw, Splitter, and Duncan lineup instead of trying to go small all the time. Pop should just play his starters 20-25 minutes in the Magic game then try to keep winning with various combinations depending who is hot. If Manu gets it going vs Grizz and Heat Spurs could well roll through the rest of the road trip.

Dex
11-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Benchmark games are useless in November. What is not useless, however, are wins.

If the Spurs tank the Orlando game to go all-out in Miami, they very likely could walk away with two losses.

Would rather get the "easy" win in Orlando, and let the cards fall as they may against the Heat. Obviously better to come back 6-0 or 5-1 on this trip than 4-2.

Save the benchmark games for March and April.

silverblk mystix
11-27-2012, 12:05 PM
I say fuck that pussy attitude and pussy coaching of the past few years. Here is the truth;

Pop has been more than "careful" with his players and especially the big 3. What was the result? Injuries - no-- matter- what.

So fuck that losing mentality. Play like champions all fucking year long and throw caution to the wind. The result;

Someone will get injured - no - matter - what.

So fuck it. Play everyone normally and enjoy timmy's mvp- like season until he gets injured--or until he recaptures his "toughness" and finishes the year holding up a championship trophy. Once and for all just play hard all year long and may the best and toughest team remain standing at the end.

rascal
11-27-2012, 12:11 PM
They should play their best lineup in both games.

spurspokesman
11-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Benchmark games are useless in November. What is not useless, however, are wins.

If the Spurs tank the Orlando game to go all-out in Miami, they very likely could walk away with two losses.

Would rather get the "easy" win in Orlando, and let the cards fall as they may against the Heat. Obviously better to come back 6-0 or 5-1 on this trip than 4-2.

Save the benchmark games for March and April.

Say it again

roycrikside
11-27-2012, 01:07 PM
Your statement makes no sense. Kawhi and Jackson are out, so the Spurs won't be at full strength regardless. Get the Orlando game and rest 'em up against Miami so we can be physically ready for Grizzles (with Leonard back, hopefully).

Rummpd
11-27-2012, 01:18 PM
100% agree try to win them all with the best lineup available and limit minutes when you can, ala last PM.

TampaDude
11-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Start the Big 3 against Orlando, and rest them in the 4th if it's a blowout.

Tank the Miami game, if only to piss off the national media.

Rummpd
11-27-2012, 01:21 PM
I say fuck that pussy attitude and pussy coaching of the past few years. Here is the truth;

Pop has been more than "careful" with his players and especially the big 3. What was the result? Injuries - no-- matter- what.

So fuck that losing mentality. Play like champions all fucking year long and throw caution to the wind. The result;

Someone will get injured - no - matter - what.

So fuck it. Play everyone normally and enjoy timmy's mvp- like season until he gets injured--or until he recaptures his "toughness" and finishes the year holding up a championship trophy. Once and for all just play hard all year long and may the best and toughest team remain standing at the end.

100% agree, too early to over think - play hard for as long as you can to try to win each and every game (rotating the top 8-9 players), and rest the starters when you can [ala last PM]!

SayTown
11-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Id rather see the Spurs test themselves against a very good team like the heat even if they may lose than for the spurs to beat a bad team.

Stabula
11-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Spurs could beat Orlando without the big three.

Darius Bieber
11-28-2012, 02:34 PM
I would agree to play everybody tonight, blow the score up and then "rest" the big three and let them win against Miami.

However, I'd love to see Stern's face and the TNT commentators discuss:
Tim Duncan - DNP--Old
Manu Ginobili - DNP-- Old
Tony Parker - DNP-- Old

Strategic
11-28-2012, 03:04 PM
Do what is necessary to win this one, then worry about the next one.