PDA

View Full Version : NBA: SSOL vs Princeton vs Triangle

ElNono
11-27-2012, 11:45 PM
What is the better system, tbh? How would you rank them?

AaronY
11-27-2012, 11:45 PM
Triangle>

timvp
11-27-2012, 11:59 PM
You need mega superstars (think Jordan, Michael or O'Neal, Prime Shaquille) to properly run the triangle in the NBA. If you try to run it with regular stars, it's actually a horrible offense (as we've seen with Kurt Rambis and Jim Cleamons when they left PJax).

Princeton is really good but you need elite passing bigmen. Those Webber/Divac Kings ran it damn well ... but then again, Webber and Divac were probably two of the top ten passing bigmen ever. Like the triangle, you can't just plug it in anywhere.

That leaves SSOL. You need a really good passing point guard and good shooters. But of these three choices, it's the most flexible. Good passing point guards and shooters are a lot easier to find than mega superstars or elite passing bigmen. However, the downfall is that it's the least conducive to playoff basketball of the three.

Run at their best, I'd say the hardest to stop in the playoffs in order: Triangle > Princeton > SSOL

But most portable and most explosive in the regular season: SSOL > Princeton > Triangle

ElNono
11-28-2012, 12:05 AM
The other thing with SSOL is that you need good athletes, IMO. There's a lot of running to open spaces involved, and you need quick guys to get on the run.

One more issue with SSOL is there's really no plan for halfcourt play... basically, when you do halfcourt sets you're running something else or improvising...

DAF86
11-28-2012, 12:15 AM
I still can't believe the Lakers went for D'antoni instead of Phil. Jackson was the perfect fit in almost every single way.

Seventyniner
11-28-2012, 05:35 PM
Run at their best, I'd say the hardest to stop in the playoffs in order: Triangle > Princeton > SSOL

But most portable and most explosive in the regular season: SSOL > Princeton > Triangle

As an aside, where would the Spurs PnR-to-death offense rank? Between SSoL and Triangle imo, but not sure how it compares to Princeton.

Mugen
11-28-2012, 06:29 PM
SSOL also doesn't work when you have Melo/Kobe playing hero ball for half the shotclock.

midnightpulp
11-28-2012, 06:33 PM
As an aside, where would the Spurs PnR-to-death offense rank? Between SSoL and Triangle imo, but not sure how it compares to Princeton.

Number 1, until you play a team with Thabo Sefolosha.

Latarian Milton
11-28-2012, 08:34 PM
I still can't believe the Lakers went for D'antoni instead of Phil. Jackson was the perfect fit in almost every single way.they don't have mega stars anymore to run the triangle properly imho. triangle failed against them mavs in 11 which i think marked the end of an era, phil knew it and he made the right decision to quit it.

pass1st
11-28-2012, 11:40 PM
they don't have mega stars anymore to run the triangle properly imho. triangle failed against them mavs in 11 which i think marked the end of an era, phil knew it and he made the right decision to quit it.

A lot of the post-shaq triangle success is due to Gasol, tbh. He wasn't following the system during post-season, Phil got pretty frustrated with that.

spurraider21
09-11-2014, 02:46 PM
:lmao byron scott is bringing the princeton back

lefty
09-11-2014, 03:13 PM
Princeton Offense :lmao

Good thing he had prime Jason Kidd

spurraider21
09-11-2014, 03:19 PM
Princeton Offense :lmao

Good thing he had prime Jason Kidd
and CP3

:lol lin
:lol harvard offense

DMC
09-12-2014, 11:51 PM
Let's be honest. They are going to play KSYR offense. That's "Kobe Shoots, You Rebound" offense.