PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Is Dwight Howord a top 10 player?

ElNono
11-28-2012, 01:23 AM
A player that's a liability at the end of games and gets constantly in foul trouble. tbh, Shaq back in the day at least would knock down 1 of 2... if not both.

Richie
11-28-2012, 01:28 AM
He's a top 10 player, but you've gotta question if his teams can ever win a championship with his free throw shooting this poor. Shaq could, but Howard ain't Shaq.

midnightpulp
11-28-2012, 01:30 AM
Hate his game. Always have. I honestly think he's borderline top-10. Top 10 players are typically guys you can build around, meaning you can implement them in virtually any type of offensive/defensive system, surround him with a variety of players and expect success. Lebron, Dirk, Duncan are examples of this. They can play with shooters, slashers, athletes, veterans, etc. They can play in an up-tempo or grind-it-out system. It matters not. Dwight needs a very specific roster build of shooters to mask his many offensive weaknesses.

DAF86
11-28-2012, 01:31 AM
Amazing how playing alongside a selfish faggot that won't concede even a little bit of protagonism will do the perception others have of your game.

irishock
11-28-2012, 01:34 AM
Fuck? The Lakers would have 3 wins total if Dwight didn't have to carry 4 grandpas on defense. Top 2 talent.

Killakobe81
11-28-2012, 01:36 AM
Are you watching games ? right now offensively he looks like shit, unless dunking or shooting a lefty hook.

Spur_Fanatic
11-28-2012, 01:38 AM
He is playing terrible. Worst of all, his FT% is horrible, great way to grab wins from the Lakers is to collapse on the guy.

DAF86
11-28-2012, 01:47 AM
Hate his game. Always have. I honestly think he's borderline top-10. Top 10 players are typically guys you can build around, meaning you can implement them in virtually any type of offensive/defensive system, surround him with a variety of players and expect success. Lebron, Dirk, Duncan are examples of this. They can play with shooters, slashers, athletes, veterans, etc. They can play in an up-tempo or grind-it-out system. It matters not. Dwight needs a very specific roster build of shooters to mask his many offensive weaknesses.

C'mon on now, dude needs a stud next to him to cover up his defensive shortcomings.

Dwight is definitely a top 10 player, I mean everybody is saying he's playing like crap and he's still getting you 18ppg on 58% shooting, 10.6 rbds, 2.7 blks and 1.3 stls per game. Dude will fill up the stat sheet just by standing there.

midnightpulp
11-28-2012, 02:00 AM
C'mon on now, dude needs a stud next to him to cover up his defensive shortcomings.

Dwight is definitely a top 10 player, I mean everybody is saying he's playing like crap and he's still getting you 18ppg on 58% shooting, 10.6 rbds, 2.7 blks and 1.3 stls per game. Dude will fill up the stat sheet just by standing there.

Dirk's "defensive shortcomings" are an overblown myth. Sure he isn't Hakeem Olajuwon, but he's not exactly Al Jefferson, either. During the Mavs' championship run, he shut down Gasol and Bosh's shit, most of the time in one-on-one coverage with Chandler patrolling the weak side. I think Spurfans have a warped perspective of Dirk's ability on the defensive end from watching all those prime-Dirk/prime-Duncan matchups, in which Duncan would abuse him on the low-block. The very fact Dirk even had to guard Duncan on the low-block for any amount of time shows just how many shitty centers Dirk's been paired up with (Bradley, Dampier, LaFrentz, etc) before Chandler's arrival.

As for Dwight, he's a monkeyballer who doesn't make anyone better and is only a decent scorer when it's all but a sure thing. Every point he gets is from put backs, intentional fouls to send him to the line, and dunks/layups via deep position right under the basket. Asking this guy to make a decent post-move 5 feet and out is like asking Kool to become a heterosexual. It just ain't in his nature.

ElNono
11-28-2012, 02:03 AM
For a 'dominant' defensive presence, he sure as heck gets in foul trouble a lot. He also doesn't seem to instill much fear on that side of the court either. Just look at today's game, Hill went right at him and over him for the last two baskets.

spurraider21
11-28-2012, 02:05 AM
He's easily a top 10 player. But he certainly hasn't been a top 10 player yet THIS season. I'm sure he'll bounce back, but i think the one called "mamba" might be holding him back

DAF86
11-28-2012, 02:06 AM
As shitty as the East conference has been these last 20 years or so I really much doubt a non-top 10 player could have lead his team to the NBA finals with Hedo Turkoglu as his best teammate, imho.

midnightpulp
11-28-2012, 02:08 AM
For a 'dominant' defensive presence, he sure as heck gets in foul trouble a lot. He also doesn't seem to instill much fear on that side of the court either. Just look at today's game, Hill went right at him and over him for the last two baskets.

He's very overrated on that end, as well. He's pretty much the best defensive big by default, since other than Chandler, bigs don't seem to play defense anymore. But he's a far, far cry from Hakeem, Robinson, Mutombo, etc. He just jumps around and blocks shots. He's a decent paint anchor, but nowhere near the level of the aforementioned.

midnightpulp
11-28-2012, 02:11 AM
As shitty as the East conference has been these last 20 years or so I really much doubt a non-top 10 player could have lead his team to the NBA finals with Hedo Turkoglu as his best teammate, imho.

And how bad was Dwight in the Finals? When he finally faced a team with a good frontline, he was neutralized something fierce.

ElNono
11-28-2012, 02:11 AM
Right now I would rank ahead of him in no specific order:
- Lebron
- Durant
- Duncan
- Carmelo
- CP3
- Wade
- Kobe
- Bosh
- Harden
- Love
- Varejao
- Davis

SpurSwag
11-28-2012, 02:16 AM
Right now I would rank ahead of him in no specific order:
- Lebron
- Durant
- Duncan
- Carmelo
- CP3
- Wade
- Kobe
- Bosh
- Harden
- Love
- Varejao
- Davis

this better be a joke. anthony davis has played in like 3 games, verajao is no where near as good as dwight thats just laughable, and bosh/harden is pretty ridiculous too. yeah dwights having a bad year but gtfo with verjao being better than dwight at any point in dwights career

Jeff Van Gundy
11-28-2012, 02:17 AM
:lol Varejao, Davis, Bosh, Harden, Love, and Melo

Juggity
11-28-2012, 02:19 AM
this better be a joke. anthony davis has played in like 3 games, verajao is no where near as good as dwight thats just laughable, and bosh/harden is pretty ridiculous too. yeah dwights having a bad year but gtfo with verjao being better than dwight at any point in dwights career

Based on performance this year, there's a legitimate case for Varejao being better than dwight right now. Dude looks really solid, while dwight has been seriously struggling.

DAF86
11-28-2012, 02:27 AM
Based on performance this year, there's a legitimate case for Varejao being better than dwight right now. Dude looks really solid, while dwight has been seriously struggling.

Dwight, seriously struggling: 18ppg on 58% shooting, 10.6 rbds, 2.7 blks and 1.3 stls per game

Duncan, MVP candidate: 18.7ppg on 52% shooting, 10.1rbds, 2.3 blks and 0.8 stls per game.

Yeah, I know Dwight plays a lot more minutes and in reality Duncan is playing much better than what his numbers indicate but I'm just trying to show how good Howard is. When you are struggling and still put those kind of numbers you're a top ten player in the league, imho.

SpurSwag
11-28-2012, 02:28 AM

but that's just relative to expectations. in terms of who is outplaying themselves, verajao is far and away having the better season. dwight is a top 10 player easily, which is more because no one in the nba is really big enough to stop him from dunking as oppose to him actually being a good big man tbh. one can only imagine what the nba would be like if duncan or dirk were blessed with that athleticism

ElNono
11-28-2012, 02:30 AM
According to Hollinger's math, all those guys are better... some substantially better:

http://i47.tinypic.com/2qwmx53.png

ElNono
11-28-2012, 02:31 AM
^ actually, Wade is worse per Hollinger, but we all know Wade is in a lull right now

TDMVPDPOY
11-28-2012, 02:44 AM
remember last season summer he said he was workin on his post game with hakeem, none of that shit is shown....

baseline bum
11-28-2012, 04:03 AM
He's very overrated on that end, as well. He's pretty much the best defensive big by default, since other than Chandler, bigs don't seem to play defense anymore. But he's a far, far cry from Hakeem, Robinson, Mutombo, etc. He just jumps around and blocks shots. He's a decent paint anchor, but nowhere near the level of the aforementioned.

Honestly, even Mutombo was a far cry from Olajuwon and Robinson.

baseline bum
11-28-2012, 04:04 AM
According to Hollinger's math, all those guys are better... some substantially better:

http://i47.tinypic.com/2qwmx53.png

Wait, so Orlando should have done the Brooke Lopez trade? :lmao

D12
11-28-2012, 04:17 AM
Of course he is. The Lakers' offense is so damn annoyingly erratic that it seemingly makes it impossible for D12 to get into the flow of the game. My boi Kobe gets caught in the act of being the hero too much that it derails whatever flow we got on offense.

TDMVPDPOY
11-28-2012, 05:18 AM
Honestly, even Mutombo was a far cry from Olajuwon and Robinson.

3 of them attempt to block guys who try to put them on the end of posters

i have yet seen d12 attempt to block guys who wanna dunk on his face

Josepatches_
11-28-2012, 06:38 AM
Wait, so Orlando should have done the Brooke Lopez trade? :lmao

Brook Lopez is much better than all the shit they got for Howard.

Latarian Milton
11-28-2012, 06:41 AM
tbh the spurman can't fly no more with a broken back. he used to be legit but the current version of him is no finer then the after-surgery robinson, he may still look decent playing alongside a great player (like the prime duncan) but not when he's counted as the main guy tbh

Josepatches_
11-28-2012, 06:58 AM
First of all Howard is not Shaq. Only dumbs could believe he would have the same impact

Shaq was arguably the most dominant center of all-time. He was bigger and stronger. He could only had a couple of moves but he was unstoppable.

Is Howard a top10 today? I'd say yes. But in the NBA today the level is low. There are not 10 or 15 players clearly ahead of the rest . There are not franchise players like 10 or 15 years ago. Today you could change the top10 every week.

Only LeBron and Durant are miles ahead of the rest.

SpursIndonesia
11-28-2012, 07:02 AM
tbh the spurman can't fly no more with a broken back. he used to be legit but the current version of him is no finer then the after-surgery robinson, he may still look decent playing alongside a great player (like the prime duncan) but not when he's counted as the main guy tbh

Is his back problem really that serious and hampering so much ? IIRC, Robinson back problem is very chronic, and exarcebated with his rather small waist that putting more stress to that back problem, CMIIW.

weebo
11-28-2012, 09:18 AM
Back issues never really go away. Once the problem starts no amount of rehab or other invasive treatment can truly correct the problem.

Kai
11-28-2012, 02:32 PM
wtf? Of course he is.

SpurSwag
11-28-2012, 05:55 PM
Look at the team Dwight got to the finals. There aren't more than 2 or 3 players at most who could have done that, even beating lebron on the way. So yes he's top 10, despite his struggles

midnightpulp
11-28-2012, 06:15 PM
Look at the team Dwight got to the finals. There aren't more than 2 or 3 players at most who could have done that, even beating lebron on the way. So yes he's top 10, despite his struggles

Disagree. All of Orlando's wins in the ECF saw them get stupid hot from deep, which had nothing to do with Dwight. And no, he wasn't finding shooters out of double teams with precise passes. Typically a great big makes the game easier for shooters, but in Orlando, the reverse was true. Cleveland was so paranoid about defending the 3, Dwight had an ocean of space inside to do his monkeyball thing. And even then, Magic role players didn't go to him in key moments. Lewis, Alston, and even Mickael fuckin' Pietrus were taking all the big shots.

Then Dwight met a Phil Jackson coached team in the Finals, and we Spurfans know Phil won't overplay outside shooters, preferring to pack the paint and shut down the middle. The result was Dwight looking less like Hakeem and more like DeAndre Jordan. A true great big man would've eviscerated a banged up Bynum and Pau Gasol, but alas, Dwight couldn't even shoot 50% against them.

DMC
11-28-2012, 06:23 PM
No monkeyballers are top 10 NBA players. They might be overbearing physically but they break mentally very easily and do stupid shit in crunch time to draw technicals, plus they cannot hit a FT for shit. Genetics is the only thing these guys have going for them, there's basically zero fundamentals. If Howard had Pau's savvy, the Lakers would be undefeated.

midnightpulp
11-28-2012, 06:26 PM
No monkeyballers are top 10 NBA players. They might be overbearing physically but they break mentally very easily and do stupid shit in crunch time to draw technicals, plus they cannot hit a FT for shit. Genetics is the only thing these guys have going for them, there's basically zero fundamentals. If Howard had Pau's savvy, the Lakers would be undefeated.

:tu

purplengold
11-28-2012, 07:33 PM
you be retarded not ta say he is, he defense picking up. problem is we not usin him right, no pick n rolls and pringleface having offense run through Kobe n other shooters instead gasol n Dwight.

just cuz ya use a hammer poorly dun mean the hammer bad. if lakers start giving Howard mo shots n box out more, he get similar stats as he did in magic. we got no hope playing like this, ain't no player fault, all shooters taking too many shots n bigs only playing D

Proxy
11-28-2012, 08:11 PM

I agree with your sentiments on Howard's psyche, but his genetics are good enough to make him top 10 imo. Lucky him