PDA

View Full Version : Quality TV Shows?

koriwhat
11-28-2012, 04:14 AM
So I see here in TheClub, Sons of Anarchy mentioned and other shows... I'm not much for sitting through commercials or paying for cable so I watch Netflix and whatnot but I would definitely like to check out some shows deemed worth a look at the least.

Any suggestions, and what makes these shows good?

lakerhaterade
11-28-2012, 04:21 AM
Walking Dead. You have Netflix. Go start the series, like now. You'll get the first two seasons on Netflix and you can catch season 3 episodes via websites on the Internetz.

If not, Breaking Bad. Shit is gold. Also on Netflix btw.

Wild Cobra
11-28-2012, 04:23 AM
Are there any quality shows any more?

The only one I have come across I like this season is "Last Resort." IMDB dot com has links with HULU to watch the episodes for free. I will be looking for "1600 Penn" on 1/17/13. Jenna is the first lady!

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BNDE3MDI5NjAwOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTQ2NzI2MQ@@._ V1._SY314_CR16,0,214,314_.jpg (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2411646/)

http://thr2.pgmcdn.net/sites/default/files/imagecache/thumbnail_570x321/2012/05/1600_penn_cast_a_h.jpg

baseline bum
11-28-2012, 04:24 AM
The Wire

lakerhaterade
11-28-2012, 04:26 AM
The Wire
Also this^

BRHornet45
11-28-2012, 04:27 AM
Lost ... Netflix streaming. you won't regret it son.

koriwhat
11-28-2012, 04:29 AM
Walking Dead. You have Netflix. Go start the series, like now. You'll get the first two seasons on Netflix and you can catch season 3 episodes via websites on the Internetz.

If not, Breaking Bad. Shit is gold. Also on Netflix btw.

i love breaking bad, probably the only show i've gotten into in over a decade and i'm all caught up on it. as for the walking dead, good show (seen season 1, some of season 2 and some of the new season) but i'm not much into the whole zombie thing so i catch the show from time to time at my friends place.

thanks for the suggestions though.

koriwhat
11-28-2012, 04:30 AM
the wire is mentioned here a ton and from what i gather it's about... street crime? gangs, drugs, etc?

lost, i'm still lost on what that show is actually about because i've never read about it or seen it at all. same goes for last resort.

gonna write all these shows down and start watching them while i paint.

lakerhaterade
11-28-2012, 04:36 AM
the wire is mentioned here a ton and from what i gather it's about... street crime? gangs, drugs, etc?

lost, i'm still lost on what that show is actually about because i've never read about it or seen it at all. same goes for last resort.

gonna write all these shows down and start watching them while i paint.
The Wire is a cop/drug/street/gov/errrrrything show. What makes it most amazing, to me, is the plot and dialogue. Each season is beautifully written. You just gotta watch it. Though I'd warn you it does take a while to get used to. It's not like any other show, maybe like some, but it's on a level all by itself imho

Lost was a great show. Plane crash on an island, survival, tension between group members, mystical shit from the island, time travel, flashback/flashforward, the whole hotdamn thing.

Have yet to watch Last Resort. Will get to it in time.

BRHornet45
11-28-2012, 04:41 AM

just spend 45min and watch the pilot episode and you'll be hooked

Wild Cobra
11-28-2012, 04:46 AM
Hulu has some clips:

1600 Penn (http://www.hulu.com/watch/360890)

baseline bum
11-28-2012, 05:14 AM
The Wire is more novel than TV show, and it's mainly about the downfall of America through various bureacracies (I don't want to give away too much). Aside from the absolute first-rate writing, there is some phenomenal acting in it also. Andre Royo's performance as a heroin addict is about the most moving thing I have seen in visual media. Michael K. Williams plays an incredibly ruthless villain who has one of the strangest moral compasses I have ever seen in fiction, and Idris Elba's portrayal of Stringer Bell was just straight cold. I sincerely think it's the greatest piece of art ever expressed in any kind of video format. Every piece of the story matters, and it's filled with lots of fascinating characters. Here's a clip showing one of my favorite characters, Bunk Moreland, conning a murder suspect :lol (this scene isn't at all important to the overall story, so no spoilers are given away).

AJ5aIvjNgao

koriwhat
11-28-2012, 05:28 AM
oh la la i can totally see me getting addicted to lost, especially now after watching the pilot. son of a bitch! i'm gonna watch some more and then start the wire later tonight. thanks!

Wild Cobra
11-28-2012, 06:24 AM
I did some searching and found another show i am now watching an episode of. "Arrow." May be a good show. I'm going to have to watch a few episodes of it.

pookenstein
11-28-2012, 06:42 AM
The wire is one of the greatest shows ever. I loved every second of it.

If you have a lot of time try "Hell on wheels", "Homeland", "Game of thrones", "Shameless" or "Spartacus".

koriwhat
11-28-2012, 06:47 AM
so far i'm liking this lost show... where are they, the bermuda triangle?

pookenstein
11-28-2012, 06:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN2y6l51Sqo

pookenstein
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4-KYAWPKzY

pookenstein
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpJYNVhGf1s

pookenstein
11-28-2012, 06:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwzifUw9nKo

pookenstein
11-28-2012, 06:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2CqtNeRK_w

pookenstein
11-28-2012, 06:54 AM
so far i'm liking this lost show... where are they, the bermuda triangle?

Well, just skip to the last episode and you'll see...
but seriously: don't! Lost is great and worth watching the complete show.

jeebus
11-28-2012, 08:04 AM
oh la la i can totally see me getting addicted to lost, especially now after watching the pilot. son of a bitch! i'm gonna watch some more and then start the wire later tonight. thanks!
It starts off good and then meh.I stopped watching around season 3. Don't know how the series ended nor did I care.

I. Hustle
11-28-2012, 10:08 AM
Calf Tatt Wars! I love that show!!
http://bodyartmaster.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/weird-leg-tattoo.jpg

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-28-2012, 10:16 AM
AJ5aIvjNgao

Been meaning to see watch this forever, but I'm pretty sure Homicide did this once too. Those Baltimore cops and their copier hijinx.

JudynTX
11-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Since you're such a bad ass, go watch Sons of Anarchy from the beginning. You might relate to it.

Homeland - that show is a damn roller coaster. Highly recommend it!

ChumpDumper
11-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Been meaning to see watch this forever, but I'm pretty sure Homicide did this once too. Those Baltimore cops and their copier hijinx.Same creator.

koriwhat
11-28-2012, 11:12 AM
Since you're such a bad ass, go watch Sons of Anarchy from the beginning. You might relate to it.

Homeland - that show is a damn roller coaster. Highly recommend it!

me, a badass? not really. just another person in this fucked up world. but hey, i'll give sons of anarchy a try sooner or later.

mrsmaalox
11-28-2012, 11:15 AM
I watch so little tv, except for Spurs games or something on TCM, the only thing I watch is Boardwalk Empire. The season finale is next week and I'll be without a series until Downton Abbey starts up in January; I'm also looking forward to the 2nd season of Enightened on HBO, I think that's in Jan also.

I started to watch Shameless, but it went off On Demand after the 2nd episode and now they only have the 2nd season up. Netflix only has the British version---has anyone seen that one?

Fpoonsie
11-28-2012, 11:35 AM
[see: avatar, sig]

koriwhat
11-28-2012, 11:36 AM

i have signatures turned off, what is the avatar from?

mrsmaalox
11-28-2012, 11:44 AM

Greatest show evah! :tu

Was Silvio your favorite character?

leemajors
11-28-2012, 11:54 AM
I watch so little tv, except for Spurs games or something on TCM, the only thing I watch is Boardwalk Empire. The season finale is next week and I'll be without a series until Downton Abbey starts up in January; I'm also looking forward to the 2nd season of Enightened on HBO, I think that's in Jan also.

I started to watch Shameless, but it went off On Demand after the 2nd episode and now they only have the 2nd season up. Netflix only has the British version---has anyone seen that one?

I like the British one a lot better. Just about everyone in the BBC version can act circles around the American counterparts, Macy included. After the 2nd season some of the characters leave (James McAvoy) and it drops off a little bit. the American one is fun to watch though.

robino2001
11-28-2012, 12:20 PM

The only one I have come across I like this season is "Last Resort." IMDB dot com has links with HULU to watch the episodes for free. I will be looking for "1600 Penn" on 1/17/13. Jenna is the first lady!

Last Resort was cancelled. They'll air all 13 filmed episodes but that's it. We were enjoying it too but not going to keep watching as there will not be a conclusion.

Fpoonsie
11-28-2012, 02:30 PM
i have signatures turned off, what is the avatar from?

Silvio Dante from The Sopranos.

Greatest show evah! :tu

Was Silvio your favorite character?

Honestly, it's a 5 way tie between Tony, Christopher, Paulie, Silvio and Uncle June. They all have their epic moments, often.

Avante
11-28-2012, 03:22 PM
Gunsmoke
Bonanza
Sugarfoot
Tombstone Territory
Fort Apache
The Cisco Kid
Cheyenne
Have Gun Will Travel
Wild Bill Hickok
Wyatt Earp
Wanted Dead or Alive
The Big Valley
Branded
The Rifleman
Maverick
Bat Masterson
Jim Bowie
Lash Larue
The Lone Ranger
Roy Rogers and Dale Evans
Hopalong Cassidy
The Gene Autry Show
The Rebel
Bronco Layne

baseline bum
11-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Silvio Dante from The Sopranos.

Honestly, it's a 5 way tie between Tony, Christopher, Paulie, Silvio and Uncle June. They all have their epic moments, often.

Sorry man, correct answer is Christopher Moltisanti.

CyqYHT6nRaA

AxKI4DuZp7c

kQrQcAzMb8E

pR18hGBMhWM

6GZwOt0kgfQ

wEVFcI94Z_0

DD6974xFWJs

RKlgJkgqo1U

uyU49CpYRwc

e575l71y1sI

jWue82KHJf4

Joyrider
11-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Besides the obvious mentioned, (Breaking Bad is the greatest television show ever and I need to see the Wire ASAP), The Shield was quality television during its run.

SpursRock20
11-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Breaking Bad
Always Sunny
Dexter
The Office (Seasons 1-6)
Walking Dead

Slutter McGee
11-28-2012, 06:19 PM
Community - The first season is incredible comedy
Psych - One of the few shows that still cracks me up
The Killing - If you hate slow paced shows you should avoid it, but it is wonderfully done
Game of Thrones - Best on TV right now
Justified - Season 2 was great
Mad Men - Hard to watch one episode after another but some of the best acting out there right now

Slutter McGee

Fpoonsie
11-28-2012, 06:29 PM
Sorry man, correct answer is Christopher Moltisanti.

Chrissy's obviously greatness, butchoo lost your credibility on the issue w/ your incessant Wire-fellatio.

baseline bum
11-28-2012, 06:47 PM
Chrissy's obviously greatness, butchoo lost your credibility on the issue w/ your incessant Wire-fellatio.

I gotta wonder at your Sopranos credentials tbh after you took the bakery scene out of your sig.

timtonymanu
11-28-2012, 06:51 PM
The Wire is more novel than TV show, and it's mainly about the downfall of America through various bureacracies (I don't want to give away too much). Aside from the absolute first-rate writing, there is some phenomenal acting in it also. Andre Royo's performance as a heroin addict is about the most moving thing I have seen in visual media. Michael K. Williams plays an incredibly ruthless villain who has one of the strangest moral compasses I have ever seen in fiction, and Idris Elba's portrayal of Stringer Bell was just straight cold. I sincerely think it's the greatest piece of art ever expressed in any kind of video format. Every piece of the story matters, and it's filled with lots of fascinating characters. Here's a clip showing one of my favorite characters, Bunk Moreland, conning a murder suspect :lol (this scene isn't at all important to the overall story, so no spoilers are given away).

AJ5aIvjNgao

I just started Season 5 and saw this scene. IMO, Bunk is one of my favorites on the show.

This site hyped up this show and it was well worth it.

timtonymanu
11-28-2012, 06:54 PM
Community - The first season is incredible comedy
Psych - One of the few shows that still cracks me up
The Killing - If you hate slow paced shows you should avoid it, but it is wonderfully done
Game of Thrones - Best on TV right now
Justified - Season 2 was great
Mad Men - Hard to watch one episode after another but some of the best acting out there right now

Slutter McGee

:tu. Too bad it's pretty much going to end.

Slutter McGee
11-28-2012, 10:22 PM
:tu. Too bad it's pretty much going to end.

Yeah, but to be fair, the show took the term post-modern and took it to the extreme in later seasons. I still like it, but I wont be sad when it is gone.

Slutter McGee

symple19
11-28-2012, 10:35 PM
Besides Walking Dead, Homeland is my new fave.

Claire Danes... yum

Jacob1983
11-28-2012, 11:44 PM
Justified returns to FX in January.

Viva Las Espuelas
11-28-2012, 11:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwzifUw9nKo
fantastic show. can't wait 'til january :tu
oh, and emmy's new album is coming out then, too.

timtonymanu
11-29-2012, 12:40 AM
Arrested Development is another good show that wasn't mentioned in this thread, IMO.

Mark in Austin
11-30-2012, 10:01 PM
The Wire is a masterpiece. Of current shows, I've enjoyed the hell out of Justified...

Creepn
11-30-2012, 10:16 PM

AJ5aIvjNgao

Hey Baseline, if the war between Barksdale vs.Marlo were to play out, who do you think would've won?

baseline bum
11-30-2012, 10:51 PM
Hey Baseline, if the war between Barksdale vs.Marlo were to play out, who do you think would've won?

Marlo easily. All of Barksdale's top guys were gone and even in his prime his leadership was shaky and no one respected it. He was a lot like Ziggy in that he made bad decisions based on emotion, and he was sloppy as hell (remember how close he came to getting killed at the lake trout joint?). No contest.

Jacob1983
12-01-2012, 03:32 AM
Parks and Recreation is the best comedy on tv right now.

Mark in Austin
12-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Marlo easily. All of Barksdale's top guys were gone and even in his prime his leadership was shaky and no one respected it. He was a lot like Ziggy in that he made bad decisions based on emotion, and he was sloppy as hell (remember how close he came to getting killed at the lake trout joint?). No contest.

Completely agree. The only time Avon's org really functioned was when Avon and Stringer were on the same page, letting their individual strengths compliment each other. When it was just one or the other running things, it all tended to go to shit.

leemajors
12-01-2012, 10:48 AM
The NTSF:SD:SUV ep called Family Dies guest starring Michael Gross is sublime. Overall the show is incredibly stupid and hilarious.

DMC
12-02-2012, 01:43 AM
Boardwalk Empire
Game of Thrones
Homeland

Those are the three I watch.

Californication was good, "fuck me like Al Queda"

TDMVPDPOY
12-02-2012, 01:57 AM
was watchin some sci-fi series, which looked like made during the 70-80s, how come they look so much better then shit made anything after it?...just using whatever props around them, good uniforms and some ideas where most of script was base on characters to sell the series, then relyin on all this fancy shit today to sell a series....

chunticakes
12-02-2012, 03:07 AM
two and a half men. charlie sheen is a deity amongst mortals...

koriwhat
12-03-2012, 07:36 PM
11 ep's into lost and i'm lost but so far so good.

Wild Cobra
01-11-2013, 09:45 PM

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BNDE3MDI5NjAwOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTQ2NzI2MQ@@._ V1._SY314_CR16,0,214,314_.jpg (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2411646/)

http://thr2.pgmcdn.net/sites/default/files/imagecache/thumbnail_570x321/2012/05/1600_penn_cast_a_h.jpg
OK, so it aired a week earlier than I thought it would back then. Funny show though...

Viva Las Espuelas
01-26-2013, 06:40 PM
I like the British one a lot better. Just about everyone in the BBC version can act circles around the American counterparts, Macy included. After the 2nd season some of the characters leave (James McAvoy) and it drops off a little bit. the American one is fun to watch though.

i gave the uk version a try and the US version is way more entertaining. the acting is pretty blah to me. it's monotonous imo. plus, the uk cast is pretty fugly. US fiona is hotter, hands down. i may give uk episode 2 a try but the first one bored the piss out of me. to each their own.

pookenstein
04-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Is "the mob doctor" worth watching?