PDA

View Full Version : NBA scheduling at its best

CubanMustGo
11-28-2012, 11:30 AM
Miami has 4 days to rest for SA while the Spurs are both on the road and playing three more games in that span. Since November 19, the Spurs will have played 7 games in 11 days, 6 of which were on the road, while the Heat will have played three, all at home.

Miami: (10-3)
Nov 21: v. MIL 113-106
Nov 24: v. CLE 110-108
Nov 29: v. SAS

San Antonio (12-3):
Nov 19: v. LAC 87-92
Nov 21: @BOS, 112-100
Nov 23: @IND, 104-97
Nov 25: @TOR, 111-106
Nov 26: @WAS, 118-92
Nov 28: @ORL
Nov 29: @MIA

To be fair, Miami had a a similarly nutty six road games in nine days stretch just before this one, but how nice that with the Spurs coming to town they get a nice rest period. They also got three days to recover from their road trip, as opposed to the Spurs who get only their travel day and then have Memphis the next. Thanks, NBA scheduling gurus!

Fireball
11-28-2012, 11:33 AM
The great thing it will be on national TV ... Pop should sit the Big 3

Even Jeff van Gundy stated several times during his commentary that its nuts to show games on national TV when the one team is on the second night of a b2b ... lopsided games are sure to folllow

silverblackfan
11-28-2012, 11:45 AM
Spurs have played a lot of games so far, but done pretty well. Hopefully it all evens out in the end and have a better schedule to end the season. (I haven't verified this.)
There is no doubt that the Heat are going to be a tough game. I am hoping they start the big 3, see how the game is flowing (LeBron), and then pull a Wizards game to end it. Use the bench in the second half and visibly not give a crap about the win. Hell, try out a few people on LeBron to see if you have any options later in the season.

sananspursfan21
11-28-2012, 11:47 AM
there's no reason to go hard against orlando. i wouldn't say sit the big 3 but limit there minutes. i wouldn't want them rusty against miami. keep gino, td, and maybe parker under 20 min.

spurraider21
11-28-2012, 11:58 AM
Miami has 4 days to rest for SA while the Spurs are both on the road and playing three more games in that span. Since November 19, the Spurs will have played 7 games in 11 days, 6 of which were on the road, while the Heat will have played three, all at home.

Miami: (10-3)
Nov 21: v. MIL 113-106
Nov 24: v. CLE 110-108
Nov 29: v. SAS

San Antonio (12-3):
Nov 19: v. LAC 87-92
Nov 21: @BOS, 112-100
Nov 23: @IND, 104-97
Nov 25: @TOR, 111-106
Nov 26: @WAS, 118-92
Nov 28: @ORL
Nov 29: @MIA

To be fair, Miami had a a similarly nutty six road games in nine days stretch just before this one, but how nice that with the Spurs coming to town they get a nice rest period. They also got three days to recover from their road trip, as opposed to the Spurs who get only their travel day and then have Memphis the next. Thanks, NBA scheduling gurus!
Considering we have this road trip plus the rodeo road trip, it means we will have a home-friendly schedule for pretty much every other point of the season. And tbh if we are going to have an extended road trip, I'm glad they put Toronto, Washington, and Orlando in the middle of it to soften the blow.

Dex
11-28-2012, 12:13 PM
17 of the Spurs first 27 games are on the road. That's crazy.

However, once they survive that stretch, that means they are due for a lot of time at home, which will be nice during the middle and late season. Take away the 9-game Rodeo Road trip (which is almost like an entity of its own), and that means the Spurs will have only 15 random road games peppered amongst 31 home games.

Good to see them taking care of business early, which will pay major dividends later.

FromWayDowntown
11-28-2012, 12:19 PM
Considering we have this road trip plus the rodeo road trip, it means we will have a home-friendly schedule for pretty much every other point of the season.

One hidden upside to having a home-heavy schedule down the stretch is that the Spurs have only 4 back-to-backs after February 22 (because the league generally doesn't schedule back-to-backs with both games at home). After playing at LAC and GST towards the end of the RRT, the Spurs only remaining back-to-backs are:

March 11-12 (v. OKC, @ MIN)
March 31-April 1 (MIA, @ MEM)
April 3-April 4 (ORL, @OKC)
April 14-15 (@LAL, @GST)

Those definitely aren't easy back-to-backs, but at least they're the only ones at that point in the season.

Also, from February 25 through March 31, the Spurs leave San Antonio only twice, with one of those being a trip to Houston on March 24.

dylankerouac
11-28-2012, 12:30 PM
Whatever, as long as Spurs get adequate rest in the playoffs.

Darius Bieber
11-28-2012, 12:47 PM
One hidden upside to having a home-heavy schedule down the stretch is that the Spurs have only 4 back-to-backs after February 22 (because the league generally doesn't schedule back-to-backs with both games at home). After playing at LAC and GST towards the end of the RRT, the Spurs only remaining back-to-backs are:

March 11-12 (v. OKC, @ MIN)
March 31-April 1 (MIA, @ MEM)
April 3-April 4 (ORL, @OKC)
April 14-15 (@LAL, @GST)

Those definitely aren't easy back-to-backs, but at least they're the only ones at that point in the season.

Also, from February 25 through March 31, the Spurs leave San Antonio only twice, with one of those being a trip to Houston on March 24.

I like how ALL those Back-to-Backs contain one of Stern's favorites: LAL, OKC, and MIA.

TampaDude
11-28-2012, 12:49 PM

Even Jeff van Gundy stated several times during his commentary that its nuts to show games on national TV when the one team is on the second night of a b2b ... lopsided games are sure to folllow

^ this

Beat Orlando tonight and tank the fuck outta the Miami game.

Obstructed_View
11-28-2012, 01:12 PM
Fuck it. Beat 'em anyway. All the bandwagon fans want a blowout win. Man up and prevent it from happening. I'm sick of the Spurs pussying out on nationally televised games.

therealtruth
11-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Sometimes you need to lose when you're trying to win to get better. If you always make excuses for yourself (you had injuries, tough schedule, etc) it makes it harder to develop the mental toughness you need to win in the later rounds of the playoffs. The Spurs really need a no excuse culture. There are plenty of excuses: the Heat had several days off and you're playing on the 4th game in 5 nights and your small forwards are injured. A no excuse team still plays to win.

timvp
11-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Good stuff, CubanMustGo. :lol

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the first time it's ever played out like this in NBA history. Since the 24th, the Spurs will have played four road games. Since the 24th, the Heat play only one home game. Well done, NBA.

lefty
11-28-2012, 01:54 PM

I would love to see that

Stern :lol
Heat fans not enjoying the win because our best players are in street clothes :lol

Captivus
11-28-2012, 03:11 PM

I would love to see that

Stern :lol
Heat fans not enjoying the win because our best players are in street clothes :lol

Imagine that...not only sit, not even at the court!

Obstructed_View
11-28-2012, 03:12 PM
As if Heat fans know who plays for any team other than the Heat.

polandprzem
11-28-2012, 03:23 PM
Is there anything else that you/we can complain?

cd98
11-28-2012, 03:31 PM
4th game in 5 nights is a schedule loss. Beat Orlando and who cares how we do against Heat.

bigfan
11-28-2012, 04:23 PM
My recommendation: if we beat Orlando Pop should sit the big 3 for the Heat.

Dex
11-28-2012, 04:25 PM
Is there anything else that you/we can complain?

Beer at the AT&T Center is a bit expensive, and traffic sucks when trying to leave the arena.

Hoops Czar
11-28-2012, 04:50 PM
Nothing new. The NBA caters to the Miami Heat. But, I wouldn't be too bent out of shape. The Spurs have had the 17th (.479) easiest schedule in the league so far. Miami is no. 2. Playing more games doesn't mean tougher and while the Spurs are an older team and battling injuries, the Spurs have been pushed to the limit versus some very average to sub par competition. Big deal if they lose to Miami. That's what the schedule makers and TNT had in mind when they scheduled this game. They want a Lebron James postgame interview, not a TP or TD one. Coincidently, it shouldn't be a surprise that after the ass whipping the Spurs handed Miami at home two years ago, ESPN and TNT decided against airing that game and instead, it will be broadcast on NBA TV.

PÒÓCH
11-28-2012, 04:54 PM
If the Spurs don't fall by double digits come half time, look for them to make it a tight game. Although without Kawhi Leonard and Stephen Jackson the matchups will favor the Heat. Too bad they chose this game to nationally televise, we won't look 100% therefore decreasing our chances at having multiple selections in the all star game.

Mel_13
11-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Beer at the AT&T Center is a bit expensive, and traffic sucks when trying to leave the arena.

There are ways to beat the traffic. Nothing to do about the beer, although there are now some less expensive soft drink options.

DPG21920
11-28-2012, 06:10 PM
And tbh the beer is not really that expensive - it comes in a 22-24oz glass I think and its about what $7? That is really like two beers and 3-4$ for a beer is pretty standard at most bars.

Proxy
11-28-2012, 08:21 PM
The more b2bs before all-star break, the better.

racm
11-28-2012, 08:57 PM
The schedule eases up down the stretch...

The Heat are good (best offense) but they don't play D (25th defense) and rely on LeBron to bail them out in the clutch, tbh...

CubanMustGo
11-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Pop with the big FU to the NBA for the way they set this s**t up!

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/11/29/spurs-will-face-heat-without-big-three-green/

TampaDude
11-29-2012, 04:10 PM
Heh...I have a friend who bets sports...I told him to take Miami huge earlier today...I KNEW Pop would do this!

silverblk mystix
11-29-2012, 04:16 PM
Pop with the big FU to the NBA for the way they set this s**t up!

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/11/29/spurs-will-face-heat-without-big-three-green/

Pop re-inforcing why, at least for me, he is the biggest pussy coaching a pro team in any sport.

This, to me, is a big reason why the big 3 always get injured- because they are nothing but pampered, babied, coddled prima-donnas.

"We are tired."

Disgusting.

I hope they all go down for the entire fuckin season so they can just rest for a whole 10 months.
Pussy coach. Pussy team. Pussy mentality.

TampaDude
11-29-2012, 04:24 PM
Pop re-inforcing why, at least for me, he is the biggest pussy coaching a pro team in any sport.

This, to me, is a big reason why the big 3 always get injured- because they are nothing but pampered, babied, coddled prima-donnas.

"We are tired."

Disgusting.

I hope they all go down for the entire fuckin season so they can just rest for a whole 10 months.

Pussy coach who wins at least 50 games and makes the playoffs every year. Pussy coach with four rings. How many do you have?

silverblk mystix
11-29-2012, 04:29 PM
Pussy coach who wins at least 50 games and makes the playoffs every year. Pussy coach with four rings. How many do you have?

4 rings! :lmao

Haven't heard that one in awhile.

TampaDude
11-29-2012, 04:35 PM
4 rings! :lmao

Haven't heard that one in awhile.

Yeah...we usually reserve that one for Mavs and Suns fans. :lol

FromWayDowntown
11-29-2012, 05:03 PM
It's such a miserable thing to be a Spurs fan.

Fans of teams like the Bucks, Wizards, Raptors, and Kings really have it made.

DMC
11-29-2012, 05:08 PM
I would blow off Miami and play to beat Orlando. It's a W either way. Since we won't face Miami in the playoffs, there's no reason to go balls out against them. If winning 4 rings doesn't make the Spurs watchable, then playing well in Miami isn't going to do anything to help.

I say screw them (it's not Miami's fault), they want marquee matchups, have LA on the road a few times instead of camping at home long enough to cushion their record until they get their game legs.

TampaDude
11-29-2012, 05:10 PM
I would blow off Miami and play to beat Orlando. It's a W either way. Since we won't face Miami in the playoffs, there's no reason to go balls out against them. If winning 4 rings doesn't make the Spurs watchable, then playing well in Miami isn't going to do anything to help.

I say screw them (it's not Miami's fault), they want marquee matchups, have LA on the road a few times instead of camping at home long enough to cushion their record until they get their game legs.

We'll almost certainly face Miami in the Finals.

TampaDude
11-29-2012, 05:11 PM
It's such a miserable thing to be a Spurs fan.

Fans of teams like the Bucks, Wizards, Raptors, and Kings really have it made.

Yeah, really...the burden of all those winning seasons and those championships...it sucks...

DMC
11-29-2012, 05:12 PM
We'll almost certainly face Miami in the Finals.

That's not the playoffs.

TampaDude
11-29-2012, 05:13 PM
That's not the playoffs.

LOLWUT? The Finals are not a part of the playoffs? :lmao

timvp
11-29-2012, 06:35 PM

"We are tired."

Disgusting.

http://www.spurstalk.com/pop-be-trolling.gif

silverblk mystix
11-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Losing respect for this team already.

The "big 3" are not "warriors" that I want to root for fiercely anymore. If they can accept Pop's "pussification" of their team then they are not true warriors anymore.

Fans should just "tune out" and stop supporting this pussy team. Stop buying spurs "products" because...well...because we can also become "casual" fans. If the coach and the 3 "superstars" don't give a shit and are afraid to get tired or injured even while collecting millions - then why should fans be loyal? Why should fans be hardcore- diehard- stand by your team all the way- if the team itself only cares some of the time?

Think I will take a few "games" off from supporting these pussies this season. Fuck Pop.

silverblk mystix
11-29-2012, 06:39 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/pop-be-trolling.gif

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

CubanMustGo
11-29-2012, 07:28 PM
Losing respect for this team already.

The "big 3" are not "warriors" that I want to root for fiercely anymore. If they can accept Pop's "pussification" of their team then they are not true warriors anymore.

Fans should just "tune out" and stop supporting this pussy team. Stop buying spurs "products" because...well...because we can also become "casual" fans. If the coach and the 3 "superstars" don't give a shit and are afraid to get tired or injured even while collecting millions - then why should fans be loyal? Why should fans be hardcore- diehard- stand by your team all the way- if the team itself only cares some of the time?

Think I will take a few "games" off from supporting these pussies this season. Fuck Pop.

Go find another team. There are plenty of them looking for bandwagon fans like you.

Juggity
11-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Go find another team. There are plenty of them looking for bandwagon fans like you.

:tu

You can take Fabbs and TDMVPDPOY along with you as well

silverblk mystix
11-29-2012, 10:52 PM

It is about integrity and integrity in the game. I actually did just jump on the bandwagon- in 1973 when the team was the Dallas Chapparrals and you probably weren't even a gleam in your dad's boyfriends' eyes.