PDA

View Full Version : Agloco Honorary Invention of the ... decade+?

RandomGuy
11-28-2012, 02:49 PM
I am a tad leery of grandiose claims, but this could be one of those game-changers in a way that has some very profound repercussions.
Not field tested yet, but intriguing.

British company claims biggest engine advance since the jet

..LONDON (Reuters) - A small British company with a dream of building a re-usable space plane has won an important endorsement from the European Space Agency (ESA) after completing key tests on its novel engine technology.

Reaction Engines Ltd believes its Sabre engine, which would operate like a jet engine in the atmosphere and a rocket in space, could displace rockets for space access and transform air travel by bringing any destination on Earth to no more than four hours away.

That ambition was given a boost on Wednesday by ESA, which has acted as an independent auditor on the Sabre test program.

"ESA are satisfied that the tests demonstrate the technology required for the Sabre engine development," the agency's head of propulsion engineering Mark Ford told a news conference.

"One of the major obstacles to a re-usable vehicle has been removed," he said. "The gateway is now open to move beyond the jet age."

The space plane, dubbed Skylon, only exists on paper. What the company has right now is a remarkable heat exchanger that is able to cool air sucked into the engine at high speed from 1,000 degrees Celsius to minus 150 degrees in one hundredth of a second.

This core piece of technology solves one of the constraints that limit jet engines to a top speed of about 2.5 times the speed of sound, which Reaction Engines believes it could double.

SHROUDED IN SECRECY

With the Sabre engine in jet mode, the air has to be compressed before being injected into the engine's combustion chambers. Without pre-cooling, the heat generated by compression would make the air hot enough to melt the engine.

The challenge for the engineers was to find a way to cool the air quickly without frost forming on the heat exchanger, which would clog it up and stop it working.

Using a nest of fine pipes that resemble a large wire coil, the engineers have managed to get round this fatal problem that would normally follow from such rapid cooling of the moisture in atmospheric air.

They are tight-lipped on exactly how they managed to do it.

"We are not going to tell you how this works," said the company's chief designer Richard Varvill, who started his career at the military engine division of Rolls-Royce. "It is our most closely guarded secret."

The company has deliberately avoided filing patents on its heat exchanger technology to avoid details of how it works - particularly the method for preventing the build-up of frost - becoming public.

The Sabre engine could take a plane to five times the speed of sound and an altitude of 25 km, about 20 percent of the speed and altitude needed to reach orbit. For space access, the engines would then switch to rocket mode to do the remaining 80 percent.

IT COULD EVEN MAKE THE TEA

Reaction Engines believes Sabre is the only engine of its kind in development and the company now needs to raise about 250 million pounds ($400 million) to fund the next three-year development phase in which it plans to build a small-scale version of the complete engine.

Chief executive Tim Hayter believes the company could have an operational engine ready for sale within 10 years if it can raise the development funding.

The company reckons the engine technology could win a healthy chunk of four key markets together worth $112 billion a year, including space access, hypersonic air travel, and modified jet engines that use the heat exchanger to save fuel.

The fourth market is unrelated to aerospace. Reaction Engines believes the technology could also be used to raise the efficiency of so-called multistage flash desalination plants by 15 percent. These plants, largely in the Middle East, use heat exchangers to distil water by flash heating sea water into steam in multiple stages.

The firm has so far received 90 percent of its funding from private sources, mainly rich individuals including chairman Nigel McNair Scott, the former mining industry executive who also chairs property developer Helical Bar.

Chief executive Tim Hayter told Reuters he would welcome government investment in the company, mainly because of the credibility that would add to the project.

But the focus will be on raising the majority of the 250 million pounds it needs now from a mix of institutional investors, high net worth individuals and possibly potential partners in the aerospace industry.

STANDING START

Sabre produces thrust by burning hydrogen and oxygen, but inside the atmosphere it would take that oxygen from the air, reducing the amount it would have to carry in fuel tanks for rocket mode, cutting weight and allowing Skylon to go into orbit in one stage.

Scramjets on test vehicles like the U.S. Air Force Waverider also use atmospheric air to create thrust but they have to be accelerated to their operating speed by normal jet engines or rockets before they kick in. The Sabre engine can operate from a standing start.

If the developers are successful, Sabre would be the first engine in history to send a vehicle into space without using disposable, multi-stage rockets.

Skylon is years away, but in the meantime the technology is attracting interest from the global aerospace industry and governments because it effectively doubles the technical limits of current jet engines and could cut the cost of space access.

The heat exchanger technology could also be incorporated into a new jet engine design that could cut 5 to 10 percent - or $10-20 billion - off airline fuel bills.

That would be significant in an industry where incremental efficiency gains of one percent or so, from improvements in wing design for instance, are big news.

http://news.yahoo.com/british-company-claims-biggest-engine-advance-since-jet-163918250--finance.html

A lot of smart people with a lot of money are eyeing space development and cheap launch technologies. Opening up space means opening up the entire solar system.

CosmicCowboy
11-28-2012, 03:06 PM
Gonna be interesting to see how they dispose of all that heat. On surface examination of their claim it seems to defy physics. Yeah it's claimed to be a great new heat exchanger but what is it exchanging the heat with?

boutons_deux
11-28-2012, 03:31 PM
This is the cool invention thread?

I saw another invention last week where nano-particles in water or other liquid absorbed fantastic amts of sunlight, enough to boil the water into steam quickly. HUGE implications for purification, desalination, turbine electrication, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8DkmzIcDeA

CosmicCowboy
11-28-2012, 03:38 PM
Fuck, I should know better than to click a Boutons link.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-28-2012, 05:59 PM
They said the air has to be compressed when you take compressed air and let it expand dropping pressure then it drops in temperature. The whole ideal gas law thing. They don't tell you the cycle so I question at which point the gas is 1000 degrees. The stratosphere is freezing for the most part. When you go higher its much hotter as its the part that absorbs all the radiation we don't want but it's so sparse that it's not suitable for combustion. Perhaps that is where the compression occurs.

Rocket propulsion requires an propellant. So perhaps the compression is required to store the propellant prior to leaving the atmosphere.

Wild Cobra
11-29-2012, 04:18 AM
Gonna be interesting to see how they dispose of all that heat. On surface examination of their claim it seems to defy physics. Yeah it's claimed to be a great new heat exchanger but what is it exchanging the heat with?
It could be a chemistry solution that combines with nitrogen, changing the temperature.

Wild Cobra
11-29-2012, 04:25 AM
They said the air has to be compressed when you take compressed air and let it expand dropping pressure then it drops in temperature. The whole ideal gas law thing. They don't tell you the cycle so I question at which point the gas is 1000 degrees. The stratosphere is freezing for the most part. When you go higher its much hotter as its the part that absorbs all the radiation we don't want but it's so sparse that it's not suitable for combustion. Perhaps that is where the compression occurs.

Rocket propulsion requires an propellant. So perhaps the compression is required to store the propellant prior to leaving the atmosphere.
Yes, but they can't compress it until after they drop the temperature.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-29-2012, 04:58 AM
Yes, but they can't compress it until after they drop the temperature.

That assumes that the air is that hot when it is intaken. That was my point. Do I speak in code or something?

When you compress a gas the temperature increases. Where the air is of sufficient density to use for jet propulsion and assumably collect for use as a propellant it is not going to start off that hot. We don't know the mechanics of it but if compressed air is being used that means its not available from the environment. If it's compressed on the ground then you can dissipate the heat on the ground..

And 'combining with nitrogen' is going to be combustion which releases energy, tropospheric combustion boy.

Wild Cobra
11-29-2012, 05:18 AM
My Giod. I thought Dodo birds were extinct.

That assumes that the air is that hot when it is intaken.
Yes.

That was my point. Do I speak in code or something?

If you call your incomprehensible blabber code, then yes.

When you compress a gas the temperature increases.
No Shit Sherlock. I think most people here know that, and it does say that in the article.

Where the air is of sufficient density to use for jet propulsion and assumably collect for use as a propellant it is not going to start off that hot.
Are you lying or are you a moron?

They are talking about the altitudes where there is almost no air, but the temperatures are about 500C to 600C. The initial thrust into the nozzle probably takes it to the 1000C.

We don't know the mechanics of it but if compressed air is being used that means its not available from the environment. If it's compressed on the ground then you can dissipate the heat on the ground..

We?

Do you have a mouse in your pocket? I know how the engine works. I don't know the proprietary specs, but I know the theory.

And 'combining with nitrogen' is going to be combustion which releases energy, tropospheric combustion boy.

You really are ignorant in the ways of chemistry, aren't you. Some chemical reactions require energy from their surroundings to occur, cooling their surroundings. You fell for my bait hook line and sinker. That isn't how the SABRE engine works though. It uses liquid hydrogen as a fuel and helium as the coolant. The helium is in the precooler, which cools the incoming air and is recirculated, kept cold with the liquid hydrogen that is used as fuel.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x262/Wild_Cobra/science/SabreCycle.jpg (https://info.aiaa.org/tac/PEG/HSABPTC/Public%20Documents/Skylon%20Spaceplane.pdf)

http://www.popsci.com/files/imagecache/article_image_large/articles/Sabre%20Engine%20(Reaction%20Engines).png (http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2011-05/after-thirty-years-paper-skylon-spaceplane-gets-key-endorsement-esa)

Wild Cobra
11-29-2012, 05:34 AM
wg2T7MUULZQ

This isn't real new to the science world.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-29-2012, 05:39 AM
Fell for your bait? You claiming that you didn't mean what you wrote is a tired line from you.

I'm not arguing with your 20 minute google search of knowledge. Instead we will demonstrate your ignorance.

I have a few questions:

1) What are the two elements that make up over 95% of the atmosphere?
2) 'Combining nitrogen' with the element from the answer above not nitrogen is called what?
3) is 1000 degrees enough to trigger the reaction from question 2?
4) Is the reaction from question 2 endothermic or exothermic?

FuzzyLumpkins
11-29-2012, 05:43 AM
wg2T7MUULZQ

This isn't real new to the science world.

And you found it on youtube.

You are such a toolbag.

Wild Cobra
11-29-2012, 05:59 AM
Fuzzy Troll...

You may feel you have to prove yourself to others, but I am not insecure like you.

mouse
11-29-2012, 06:00 AM
Somehow not everyone is so excited about this new breakthrough.

http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/4d7fac794bd7c8da3c010000-900/five-year-old-alec-zhloba-who-suffers-from-leukemia-is-held-by-his-doctor-in-the-childrens-cancer-ward-of-the-gomel-regional-hospital-belarus-his-head-has-tracks-from-medical-procedures-march-19-1996.jpg

Wild Cobra
11-29-2012, 06:36 AM
And you found it on youtube.

You are such a toolbag.
You miss the point. The video is 4 months old. I already knew of this.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-29-2012, 07:41 AM
Fuzzy Troll...

You may feel you have to prove yourself to others, but I am not insecure like you.

What are you talking about? Proving myself to others? You should be insecure, ffs.

Wild Cobra
11-29-2012, 07:50 AM
What are you talking about? Proving myself to others? You should be insecure, ffs.

You are asking me to prove myself. Seems to me part of your psyche that this is how you view life. If not, then you are just out on a trollhunt as usual. You have this deep seated desire to get back at me for all the times I showed your ineptness. I can answer your four silly questions, but I prefer to infuriate you.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-29-2012, 07:50 AM
You miss the point. The video is 4 months old. I already knew of this.

Of course you did. Just like I fell into your trap of you saying more ignorant shit.

You want to talk to me about proving MYSELF when you try the above line...

tool

bag

Wild Cobra
11-29-2012, 07:53 AM
Of course you did. Just like I fell into your trap of you saying more ignorant shit.

You want to talk to me about proving MYSELF when you try the above line...

tool

bag
I have a tool bag. I don't need another one. Thanks but no thanks. Afterall, I am a parts changer.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-29-2012, 07:54 AM
I am not asking you to prove anything. I have substantial 'proof' of your methods and your capacity accrued over time.

What I want you to do is to quit acting like such an idiot all the time. Just stop, that's all I want.

Wild Cobra
11-29-2012, 07:56 AM
I am not asking you to prove anything. I have substantial 'proof' of your methods and your capacity accrued over time.

What I want you to do is to quit acting like such an idiot all the time. Just stop, that's all I want.
You know, it really is annoying when you speak into the mirror.

I also think it's pathetic how you chronically bully others without reason. Why can't you stay on topic in a thread?

FuzzyLumpkins
11-29-2012, 07:58 AM
Fell for your bait? You claiming that you didn't mean what you wrote is a tired line from you.

I'm not arguing with your 20 minute google search of knowledge. Instead we will demonstrate your ignorance.

I have a few questions:

1) What are the two elements that make up over 95% of the atmosphere?
2) 'Combining nitrogen' with the element from the answer above not nitrogen is called what?
3) is 1000 degrees enough to trigger the reaction from question 2?
4) Is the reaction from question 2 endothermic or exothermic?

There you go. Back on topic.

Wild Cobra
11-29-2012, 08:13 AM
There you go. Back on topic.
LOL...

Really?

At best, a tangent. My problem is not knowing if that reaction will take place at 1/1,000th and less standard atmospheres.

Wild Cobra
11-29-2012, 08:15 AM
-dp-

Expert
11-29-2012, 02:34 PM
LOL...

Really?

At best, a tangent. My problem is not knowing if that reaction will take place at 1/1,000th and less standard atmospheres.

Remember when you and I worked together on this project and how you were the one who actually suggested to use NO2?

ah good times

Wild Cobra
11-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Remember when you and I worked together on this project and how you were the one who actually suggested to use NO2?

ah good times
Sorry, no. You must have been imagining things. I never suggested NOx.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-29-2012, 04:33 PM
LOL...

Really?

If it's a tangent, then it's one that you created when you proposed a chemical reaction with nitrogen and atmospheric air to reduce temperature. Your last sentence smacks of google search.

Wild Cobra
11-29-2012, 04:45 PM
If it's a tangent, then it's one that you created when you proposed a chemical reaction with nitrogen and atmospheric air to reduce temperature.
I suggested my initial thought when I heard of this engine almost a year ago. That much cooling in 10 milliseconds is amazing. I find it so predictable and laughable that you dismiss things out of hand like you do. Since you follow me and post bullshit where ever I go, it was a fun test.

Your last sentence smacks of google search.
Yes, I looked it up, but not using Google. I don't remember all the facts. I went strait to Spectral Calc.

Your thought process is so limited.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-29-2012, 05:02 PM
I suggested my initial thought when I heard of this engine almost a year ago. That much cooling in 10 milliseconds is amazing. I find it so predictable and laughable that you dismiss things out of hand like you do. Since you follow me and post bullshit where ever I go, it was a fun test.

Yes, I looked it up, but not using Google. I don't remember all the facts. I went strait to Spectral Calc.

Your thought process is so limited.

Uh-huh :rolleyes

boutons_deux
11-29-2012, 05:14 PM
space plane engines? WGAF?

down to earth:

New Solar Energy Technology Can Create Steam Without Even Having To Boil Water (http://cleantechnica.com/2012/11/21/new-solar-energy-technology-can-create-steam-without-even-having-to-boil-water/)
Read more at http://cleantechnica.com/2012/11/21/new-solar-energy-technology-can-create-steam-without-even-having-to-boil-water/#4ghqhSUVPZfllYVQ.99

Expert
11-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Sorry, no. You must have been imagining things. I never suggested NOx.

Goddamn I get a fluffy when you do your quick conversions and show your scientific prowess (like saying NOx instead of NO2). You're just being modest. You're the one who phrased the coin "stuff" when you were referring to science. I knew what you meant, and your subsequent offerings after a few brief pauses (seemingly about the same duration each time, no idea what you're doing during those times but you're the scientist so who am I to say?) proves that you have the answers for everything. If by some chance someone appears to have you cornered, you prove again that you had insight they didn't, probably through your methodology and peer review process that most of the laymen here never even considered.

mouse
11-29-2012, 09:29 PM
I have a tool bag. I don't need another one.

:lmao

Wild Cobra
11-30-2012, 03:21 AM
space plane engines? WGAF?

down to earth:

New Solar Energy Technology Can Create Steam Without Even Having To Boil Water (http://cleantechnica.com/2012/11/21/new-solar-energy-technology-can-create-steam-without-even-having-to-boil-water/)
Read more at http://cleantechnica.com/2012/11/21/new-solar-energy-technology-can-create-steam-without-even-having-to-boil-water/#4ghqhSUVPZfllYVQ.99

Did you notice that article is a "repost" and nothing indicates how old it is? I will assume its in the neighborhood of 15 years old or more.

Wild Cobra
12-02-2012, 06:01 AM
Now here is a recent one I find amazing, if it actually works:

New patient-friendly way to make stem cells for fight against heart disease (http://www.sciencecodex.com/new_patientfriendly_way_to_make_stem_cells_for_fig ht_against_heart_disease-103006)

Expert
12-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Did you notice that article is a "repost" and nothing indicates how old it is? I will assume its in the neighborhood of 15 years old or more.

Translation: I Google searched it and found it was 15 years old but I prefer to pretend my experience allows me to assume these things.

Wild Cobra
12-02-2012, 04:35 PM
Translation: I Google searched it and found it was 15 years old but I prefer to pretend my experience allows me to assume these things.
Translation:

Expert is just another lame troll. Funny at times, really dumb at other time.

Didn't you see this line in the article: "This article has been reposted from Solar Love with full permission."

I'm guessing at how old the technology is. The associated pictures has me thinking it's pretty old.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-02-2012, 07:52 PM
You shouldn't guess. This proves why as every technology outlet out there covered it and listed it as a breakthrough now. And we all know you google searched everything now. That's your whole MO so quit frontin.

Wild Cobra
12-03-2012, 03:46 AM
You shouldn't guess. This proves why as every technology outlet out there covered it and listed it as a breakthrough now. And we all know you google searched everything now. That's your whole MO so quit frontin.
LOL....

I shouldn't guess? At least I'm honest about it.

Who made this moronic statement:

We don't know the mechanics of it but if compressed air is being used that means its not available from the environment. If it's compressed on the ground then you can dissipate the heat on the ground..

As for your implication of my googling. I think you are just jealous that I don't have to google everything like you do.

You are nothing but a pathetic bully.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Implications? One of your first post's picture was straight from the current wiki page. You have trolls created to just troll you on this particular method of yours. That's your whole MO. Look it up on google and then turn around and act like you know wtf you are talking about.

mouse
12-03-2012, 09:11 PM
Translation:

Expert is just another lame troll. Funny at times, really dumb at other time.

Didn't you see this line in the article: "This article has been reposted from Solar Love with full permission."

I'm guessing at how old the technology is. The associated pictures has me thinking it's pretty old.

scoreboard

Wild Cobra
12-04-2012, 03:30 AM
Implications? One of your first post's picture was straight from the current wiki page. You have trolls created to just troll you on this particular method of yours. That's your whole MO. Look it up on google and then turn around and act like you know wtf you are talking about.
Really?

I guess you don't know how to look at the properties of an embedded picture.

Right click and select "view image info" and tell us if that leads to wiki.

Winehole23
02-13-2014, 02:29 PM
Biologically speaking, sugar molecules are energy-dense, easy to transport, and cheap to digest. There is a reason why almost every living cell on Earth generates its energy (ATP) from glucose. Now, researchers at Virginia Tech have successfully created a sugar-powered fuel cell that has an energy storage density of 596 amp-hours per kilo — or “one order of magnitude” higher than lithium-ion batteries. This fuel cell is refillable with a solution of maltodextrin, and its only by products are electricity and water. The chief researcher, Y.H. Percival Zhang, says the tech could be commercialized in as soon as three years.http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/175137-sugar-powered-biobattery-has-10-times-the-energy-storage-of-lithium-your-smartphone-might-soon-run-on-enzymes

boutons_deux
02-13-2014, 03:13 PM
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/175137-sugar-powered-biobattery-has-10-times-the-energy-storage-of-lithium-your-smartphone-might-soon-run-on-enzymes

When I saw this weeks ago, I was astonished. too good to be true, esp 3 years to production. Essentially of course, like all non-geothermal energy, it's originally solar powered.

BigAg would love it

Production[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Maltodextrin&action=edit&section=2)]

Maltodextrin can be enzymatically derived from any starch. In the US, this starch is usually corn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maize); in Europe, it is commonly wheat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat). While wheat-derived maltodextrin may cause concern for individuals suffering from gluten (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten) intolerance, maltodextrin is such a highly processed ingredient that the majority of the protein is removed, rendering it effectively gluten-free.[citation needed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed)] If wheat is used to make maltodextrin, it will appear on the label. Even so, the maltodextrin itself will be gluten-free

Maltodextrin

is a polysaccharide (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polysaccharide) that is used as a food additive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_additive). It is produced from starch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starch) by partial hydrolysis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrolysis) and is usually found as a white hygroscopic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygroscopic) spray-dried (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spray_drying) powder.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltodextrin#cite_note-pharmacopeia-1)Maltodextrin is easily digestible, being absorbed as rapidly as glucose (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucose), and might be either moderately sweet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet) or almost flavorless. It is commonly used for the production of sodas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_drink) and candy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candy). It can also be found as an ingredient in a variety of other processed foods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltodextrin

since hygroscopic, what would the distribution/transport infrastructure look like? A new meaning for "Keep Your Powder Dry"

Wild Cobra
02-13-2014, 03:31 PM
Really?

I guess you don't know how to look at the properties of an embedded picture.

Right click and select "view image info" and tell us if that leads to wiki.
I never got a response back from fuzzbobsquarepants. I'm sure anyone looking at wiki sees that the wiki image is a little different than the one I linked, and clicking on the image leads to a January 2012 article titled "SABRE: A High Speed Air Breathing Rocket Engine for the SSTO SKYLON Spaceplane" I think the image I grabbed came from http://aerosociety.com. I definitely did not take it from wiki.

Fuzzy was shut down again, like always.

Wild Cobra
02-13-2014, 03:37 PM
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/175137-sugar-powered-biobattery-has-10-times-the-energy-storage-of-lithium-your-smartphone-might-soon-run-on-enzymes
Looks good. I hope it actually pans out.

Go to the gas station "I'll take the Wheaties brand please."

How fast will it react and release energy? Could it be uses as an electric car fuel cell?

boutons_deux
02-13-2014, 03:41 PM
High-Powered Lasers Deliver Fusion Energy Breakthrough

The power of the sun has edged a little closer to Earth. Under x-ray assault, the rapid implosion of a plastic shell onto icy isotopes of hydrogen has produced fusion and, for the first time, 170 micrograms of this superheated fusion fuel released more energy than it absorbed. Experimental shots of the 192 lasers at the National Ignition Facility at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California have reproduced such fusion (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fusions-false-dawn/) at least four times since September 2013. The advance offers hope that someday in the far future scientists might reliably replicate the power source of the sun and stars.

"This is closer than anyone's gotten before, and it's really unique to get out of the fuel as much energy as put in," says Livermore physicist Omar Hurricane, lead author of the paper presenting the results published in Nature (http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nature13008). "We got more fusion energy out of the DT fuel than we put in to the DT fuel."

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/high-powered-lasers-deliver-fusion-energy-breakthrough/?&WT.mc_id=SA_ENGYSUS_20140213

pgardn
02-13-2014, 04:38 PM
High-Powered Lasers Deliver Fusion Energy Breakthrough

The power of the sun has edged a little closer to Earth. Under x-ray assault, the rapid implosion of a plastic shell onto icy isotopes of hydrogen has produced fusion and, for the first time, 170 micrograms of this superheated fusion fuel released more energy than it absorbed. Experimental shots of the 192 lasers at the National Ignition Facility at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California have reproduced such fusion (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fusions-false-dawn/) at least four times since September 2013. The advance offers hope that someday in the far future scientists might reliably replicate the power source of the sun and stars.

"This is closer than anyone's gotten before, and it's really unique to get out of the fuel as much energy as put in," says Livermore physicist Omar Hurricane, lead author of the paper presenting the results published in Nature (http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nature13008). "We got more fusion energy out of the DT fuel than we put in to the DT fuel."

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/high-powered-lasers-deliver-fusion-energy-breakthrough/?&WT.mc_id=SA_ENGYSUS_20140213

posted in other thread

Imo this is a giant step to solve energy problems.

Money well spent.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/13/science/giant-laser-complex-makes-fusion-advance.html?ref=us&_r=0

We don't read each other's links apparently...

pgardn
02-13-2014, 04:42 PM

Enzymes are extremely sensitive to pH and temp.

Big problem based on the small amount of info given. Still neat stuff, but not a battery to use in a Wisconsin winter or possibly on a hot day in Texas. Still waiting for the chlorophyll battery.