PDA

View Full Version : It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year...

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2005, 02:34 PM
...with stars getting waived and Rasho drawing interest and the Spurs having a pick and their exceptions and Scola coming in and oh yeah, that ring.

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year...:smokin

ObiwanGinobili
06-28-2005, 02:37 PM
whooo hoooo.
with the curves the new CBA agreement throws in ther mix, the FA, the possible cut players... a deep draft... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

this is looking to be one very exciting offseason. ANd I feeli like Spurs fans are looking at it all fro mthe top of the mountain. Mini-kings surveying the littel people.

Ocotillo
06-28-2005, 02:38 PM
I love to play virtual GM for the Spurs.......and it is wonderful to be a Spurs fan.

Of course, Pop and company invariably do a lot better than what I want to do.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
06-28-2005, 02:45 PM
The Spurs won the championship, but make no mistake, we will have to get better to win it next year. We have alot of holes to fill. Hopefully we can find teams with interest in Rasho. And extend nazr.

Spurs_Fan_Nineteen
06-28-2005, 03:14 PM
^ Resign Horry. MAJOR priority.

Mr. Body
06-28-2005, 03:17 PM
The Allan Houston rule hurts the Spurs more than any other team, since it'll help the Phoenixes and Miamis of the world. The Spurs don't have room, cap or otherwise, to take on Finley, for example, and he will likely go to Phoenix and make them better.

Otherwise, yes, this is a great time to be a Spurs fan, with Scola and someone like Gelabale coming in.

Solid D
06-28-2005, 03:24 PM
It's the most wonderful time of the year until the draft is over, then the clueless ingrates and pot-stirrers will chime in with their "Who?" threads and their "Fire RC" topics and their "Still...No Ballers" posts.

SWC Bonfire
06-28-2005, 03:24 PM
The Allan Houston rule hurts the Spurs more than any other team...

Why do you think they enacted it? They want the less-responsible large market teams to reach a more equal footing with the well-managed smaller ones, and they want to lessen that gap as quickly as possible.

I don't see how you can look at it any other way. The Spurs aren't the only ones who will get screwed by this, Detroit will too, along with other teams under the cap without an obviously bloated contract.

Kori Ellis
06-28-2005, 03:33 PM
The Allan Houston rule hurts the Spurs more than any other team, since it'll help the Phoenixes and Miamis of the world. The Spurs don't have room, cap or otherwise, to take on Finley, for example, and he will likely go to Phoenix and make them better.

Why would he go to Phoenix? It won't be a bidding war because they are going to get full pay anyway, right? So why would he sign with Phoenix for a bigger amount as opposed to signing with another team (i.e. Spurs) for the minimum? He still gets paid. Isn't that how it works?

Mr. Body
06-28-2005, 03:41 PM
SWC Bonfire - I agree absolutely. This screws the well-managed teams. I wonder if Detroit and San Antonio's owners raised a ruckus in some compensation for its enaction, but their voices likely were too small to be heard, sadly.

Why would he go to Phoenix? It won't be a bidding war because they are going to get full pay anyway, right? So why would he sign with Phoenix for a bigger amount as opposed to signing with another team (i.e. Spurs) for the minimum? He still gets paid. Isn't that how it works?

He would go to Phoenix because he has a history there and they have a good, competitive franchise. I don't believe the Spurs have the roster room for him, since he'd demand to play and he'd be stacked behind Barry and possibly Brown. You're right that he'll get a big payday no matter what happens to him, but it's still a consideration. I don't see them having the money for him, since they need to focus on Brown and Scola, unless Finley wants to take the vet minimum. He could get more and play much more with some other team. The guy thinks enough of himself to want to play more than spot minutes, and who can blame him?

Kori Ellis
06-28-2005, 03:47 PM
He would go to Phoenix because he has a history there and they have a good, competitive franchise. I don't believe the Spurs have the roster room for him, since he'd demand to play and he'd be stacked behind Barry and possibly Brown. You're right that he'll get a big payday no matter what happens to him, but it's still a consideration. I don't see them having the money for him, since they need to focus on Brown and Scola, unless Finley wants to take the vet minimum. He could get more and play much more with some other team. The guy thinks enough of himself to want to play more than spot minutes, and who can blame him?

Cool. I understood the part about history, playing time, etc being factors. I was just unclear if a team could still "outbid" another or not.

Mixability
06-28-2005, 03:49 PM
It really is! Especially for the T'Wolves! I am confident we can create a team that will run circles around the Spurs

yeah run around the Spurs next trophy presentation waving little white flags that say, "we're little bitches"

Jimcs50
06-28-2005, 03:59 PM
Marcus gets more excited every year in the offseason than during the year. He posts a million posts every off season begging for a certain player. In 01, he wanted G Hill, then he wanted JO in 02, then he wanted Kandi in 03, now he wants Theo or Finley.

I think he missed his calling as a GM.

:)

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2005, 04:06 PM
The Knicks, Blazers, and Mavs of the NBA will spend $ no matter what. From a cap or fiscal management perspective this does very little to impact what happens on the court for the teams releasing those players.

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2005, 04:07 PM
I never wanted Kandi or Theo.

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2005, 04:10 PM
The Spurs are going to be able to offer a substantial salary to a free agent relative to most other contenders after they sign Scola. If they somehow manage to sign him using their $1.6 mil exception then they'd have the full mid-level exception to offer.

Jimcs50
06-28-2005, 04:13 PM
I never wanted Kandi or Theo.

Well, whoever, but you agree with my point, yes?

timvp
06-28-2005, 04:19 PM
...with stars getting waived and Rasho drawing interest and the Spurs having a pick and their exceptions and Scola coming in and oh yeah, that ring.

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year...:smokin

Very true. A lot of people say that they miss basketball, but the Spurs are a year round thing. There is the draft tonight. Then summer league in a couple weeks. Then the free agent signing period. Then some players on the team are in international competition. Then before you know it, training camp starts.

:smokin

Solid D
06-28-2005, 04:33 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/manu_river_050627.jpg
It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year

With the kids "Go Spurs" yelling
And everyone telling you "Be of good cheer"
It's the hap -happiest season of all
With those SequSpur greetings and gay happy meetings
When friends come to call
It's the hap - happiest season of all

There'll be GTGs for hosting
Draft picks for toasting
And posting in Spurstalk all night
There'll be worthless Ghost stories
And tales of the glories of
Ballers from long, long ago

There'll be much Jimcs'-ing
And Shelly will be glowing
When love ones are near

There'll be GTGs for hosting
Draft picks for toasting
And posting in Spurstalk all night
There'll be worthless Ghost stories
And tales of the glories of
Ballers from long, long ago

There'll be much Jimcs'-ing
And Shelly will be glowing
When love ones are near
It's The Most Wonderful Time
It's The Most Wonderful Time

Adaptation and arrangement by Solid D

with apologies to original authors Eddie Pola and George Wyle

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2005, 04:37 PM
Awesome. That's the song I was thinking of...:smokin

bigzak25
06-28-2005, 04:40 PM
that some gooood $ht Solid D. well done sir. :smokin

smeagol
06-28-2005, 04:43 PM
:lol @ solid D

Jdspur20
06-28-2005, 04:47 PM
SWC Bonfire - I agree absolutely. This screws the well-managed teams. I wonder if Detroit and San Antonio's owners raised a ruckus in some compensation for its enaction, but their voices likely were too small to be heard, sadly.

he will fit perfect there, he plays no D, can't do anything in pressure times, and when he was in dallas, he was the worst at going to the basket.

beirmeistr
06-29-2005, 06:34 PM
You have a talent, Solid D. Well done.

Horry For 3!
06-29-2005, 06:43 PM
Yes, Good Times, Good Times.