PDA

View Full Version : Title or Consistency?

symple19
11-29-2012, 10:13 AM
I thought this was an interesting question that ESPN had up and figured I would ask this board what they thought.

Do you want some Beamer like consistency and no titles or do you want one glorious season and then mediocrity (a la Chizz)?

symple19
11-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Give me a good coach who runs a tight ship, graduates kids, challenges for titles every year as well as keeping the U out of trouble, and I would gladly trade in the Natty Auburn won in 2010.

In the case of my Alma Mater, it's had 3 undefeated seasons since 93' and I feel like it would eventually break through yet again if it had a solid football coach who was consistent.

BUMP
11-29-2012, 11:07 AM
Since we're talking college, I'd go with winning a title and then sucking for a long time after.

Nobody will ever remember the team that kept winning a lot of games but never won it all. As a Tech fan beating #1 UT in 08 was our biggest win ever but nobody will really remember that in the grand scheme of things (lol Tech, lol Dead Gayders, guns up? get your grades up!, I have experienced something you will never experience, freedom ain't free, Jason Witten no helmet etc).

Plus, it would be an awesome year if your team won a title and you actually went there. I don't think I'd go to many alma mater games after i graduate

coyotes_geek
11-29-2012, 12:10 PM
It's an interesting question, but one most people approach looking forward. It's quite a bit easier to choose the title before having to go through the extended mediocracy part of the bargain. Do answers change when you sample fans who can look backwards at the situation? Take Washington. They won a title in 1991 and have been a 6 win team ever since. Would Washington fans trade places with Virginia Tech if they could?

coyotes_geek
11-29-2012, 12:18 PM
On another note, I really like the white on white text/background color combination on the poll question. :tu

JoeTait75
11-29-2012, 12:41 PM
Got to go with the title. You can be a consistent winner for literally decades and never win a National Championship- like Michigan under Schembechler. Add that to the fact that to a certain extent winning a NC involves factors outside of your control- the opinions of pollsters, other teams winning or losing, etc.

Clipper Nation
11-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Tbh, considering that my team will never be allowed to play for a national title in the BCS or in this joke 4-team playoff, I'll gladly take consistency until we get a legitimate postseason system....

JoeTait75
11-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Tbh, considering that my team will never be allowed to play for a national title in the BCS or in this joke 4-team playoff, I'll gladly take consistency until we get a legitimate postseason system....

It's different for the non-AQ schools. I'd take the title for Ohio State but consistency for Kent State (especially after watching them go 16-115-1 from 1989 through 2000.)

BUMP
11-29-2012, 03:56 PM
It's an interesting question, but one most people approach looking forward. It's quite a bit easier to choose the title before having to go through the extended mediocracy part of the bargain. Do answers change when you sample fans who can look backwards at the situation? Take Washington. They won a title in 1991 and have been a 6 win team ever since. Would Washington fans trade places with Virginia Tech if they could?

As a Mav fan, I'm still glad they won a title even though we're about to start being irrelevant for a long time. Seeing them come close and close but never get it was probably worse because that's a lot of false hope

Blake
11-29-2012, 04:30 PM
I thought this was an interesting question that ESPN had up and figured I would ask this board what they thought.

Do you want some Beamer like consistency and no titles or do you want one glorious season and then mediocrity (a la Chizz)?

I'd definitely take the one Auburn championship and this current season of mediocrity over 20+ years of being bowl eligible.

But I'd take 20+ years of bowl eligibility over being Colorado with their 1990 title followed by 20+ years of shit.

symple19
11-29-2012, 05:01 PM
yeah, kinda failed on the poll color scheme. Didn't know you could change it

I did get to see Auburn play the year they won the natty while I was living in Lexington. Seeing Randall Cobb, Cam, and Fairley on the field at the same time was pretty cool.

Suppose I have a different perspective than most. Just tired of the ineptitude, arrests, and allegations that perpetually surround the Auburn program. It sucks, although the more I think about it, the less enthusiastic I am that I would trade the natty for solidity.

DUNCANownsKOBE
11-29-2012, 06:14 PM
I'd just settle for a Rosebowl followed by a lot of mediocrity :cry

vander
11-29-2012, 09:27 PM
how long must you suck for the title? 8 or 9 years of sucking for a title is a pretty good trade IMO.

JMarkJohns
11-29-2012, 09:51 PM
Maybe it's because my collegiate football program suck and basketball program is historically very strong, but in football, I'll take Rose Bowl or Title and instant Auburn-style retribution suckage, but I'll take the consistent Top-10 basketball program because it's much easier to get hot and make a Final 4 as a consistent Top-10 team in basketball than it is to be a top-10 team consistently in football, or even make an ideal bowl (Rose or BCS Title) even as a top-10 team, see Oregon this year.

dirk4mvp
11-30-2012, 01:08 AM
Realistically for Ole Piss, I'll take consistency since winning a title in this conference with the teams we have to recruit and play against make it next to impossible.

baseline bum
11-30-2012, 08:20 PM
:cry Where is the option for the coach who lets his assistant rape boys in the shower? :cry