11-29-2012, 08:16 PM
:lol

Clipper Nation
11-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Hey Stern, apology not accepted, asshole... :lol

Bynumite
11-29-2012, 08:50 PM
Props to Popovich for the big FU to Stern :lol

It's a win-win situation for the Spurs tbh. They rest their starters, shit on Stern in the process on national tv and i know it's a pipe dream but if they win, they can say they beat the heat with their bench :lol

JRHernandez88
11-29-2012, 08:52 PM
Well done sir

DAF86
11-29-2012, 08:58 PM
What you gonna do bitch? You can't do shit. You can rig the refs against us but that wouldn't be new, tbh. So suck it :lol

Trainwreck2100
11-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Props to Popovich for the big FU to Stern :lol

It's a win-win situation for the Spurs tbh. They rest their starters, shit on Stern in the process on national tv and i know it's a pipe dream but if they win, they can say they beat the heat with their bench :lol
There's another win cause if the Spurs can somehow magically win this game Stern can't justify a sanction because Pop did he job and won the game

DAF86
11-29-2012, 11:02 PM
:cry Sorry NBA fans for that shitty ass game, I'm sure you found it very uninteresting :cry

InRareForm
11-29-2012, 11:03 PM
Heat fans want their money back :cry

Clipper Nation
11-29-2012, 11:07 PM
David J. Stern..... the J stands for Jackass....

ElNono
11-29-2012, 11:12 PM
David J. Stern..... the J stands for Jackass....

sup Nono

Clipper Nation
11-29-2012, 11:14 PM
sup Nono
Sup CN, big win for your Clips last night... can't wait until my Spurs finally get that revenge for those two blemishes on our regular season crown... :lol

ElNono
11-29-2012, 11:25 PM
Sup CN, big win for your Clips last night... can't wait until my Spurs finally get that revenge for those two blemishes on our regular season crown... :lol

tbh, Clippas made Love cry last night, was beautiful to see, IMO.

LnGrrrR
11-29-2012, 11:30 PM
Damn wish the Spurs won tonight :lol

DMC
11-29-2012, 11:59 PM
I can see the league not having a leg to stand on if the big 3 sat the bench, but to send them home when they are not on the injured list might be an infraction. I don't think that's covered by the comment regarding the coaches' freedom to rest starters when he sees fit. It almost amounts to bait and switch when you pay for a ticket to see the big 3 and they aren't even in the state.

Clipper Nation
11-30-2012, 12:01 AM
Tbh, if the rule is that the players have to be at the game, the next time Pop sends them out of state, he should have them Skype in and put them up on the video board all game :lol

Trainwreck2100
11-30-2012, 12:03 AM
The real irony here is that the spurs players were tired at the end of the game

Spursfan092120
11-30-2012, 12:04 AM
“Strategic resting of particular players on particular nights is within the discretion of the teams,” - Adam Silver..deputy Commissioner in April. Stern is garbage.

koriwhat
11-30-2012, 12:05 AM
good ol Adolph Stern, David Hitler. POS!

DMC
11-30-2012, 12:07 AM
I see both sides. Stern is in charge of the league and his job is to ensure that the product being paid for is what is being advertised. Fans should get what they pay for. No one would be playing pro ball without fans. For example, a McDonald's franchise cannot just selectively decide to not sell the Big Mac and instead substitute a regular burger even if that's on their menu. Now if they are out of patties, that's another thing, but corporations that sell off franchises are very specific about how their product must be delivered. It wouldn't have mattered if it wasn't televised (to Stern) but it wasn't just the people who were at the game but the sponsors as well. They paid good money to have air time during a game featuring the best teams in the league. That's a black eye for the league and a huge loophole if a coach can randomly decide to switch up the product after the sale.

DMC
11-30-2012, 12:07 AM
“Strategic resting of particular players on particular nights is within the discretion of the teams,” - Adam Silver..deputy Commissioner in April. Stern is garbage.

Strategic resting /= sending them home.

LakerHater
11-30-2012, 12:09 AM
Noone ever likes watchin the Spurs cuz they say theyre boring but then theyre on TNT & they bitch cuz they arent seeing "The Spurs"... WTF!

Trainwreck2100
11-30-2012, 12:10 AM
What i really think it this was about was Stern recognizing this was Pop flipping him off for setting the Spurs up to fail on national television.

Spursfan092120
11-30-2012, 12:10 AM
Strategic resting /= sending them home.
Meh...same shit different smell to me. Same effect as them sitting on the bench in a suit.

NRHector
11-30-2012, 12:12 AM
http://uppix.net/8/6/8/05dc8894e7c431b028a9e6884804a.jpg

that just shows that Stern only cares about making money instead of the players

DMC
11-30-2012, 12:12 AM
Meh...same shit different smell to me. Same effect as them sitting on the bench in a suit.

It's not the same. You can sit them on the bench, they are still part of the game. They can be seen by fans and they are part of shoot around. Consider how franchises work. You cannot just yank the product from under your buyers after they've paid.

Spursfan092120
11-30-2012, 12:13 AM
I see both sides. Stern is in charge of the league and his job is to ensure that the product being paid for is what is being advertised. Fans should get what they pay for. No one would be playing pro ball without fans. For example, a McDonald's franchise cannot just selectively decide to not sell the Big Mac and instead substitute a regular burger even if that's on their menu. Now if they are out of patties, that's another thing, but corporations that sell off franchises are very specific about how their product must be delivered. It wouldn't have mattered if it wasn't televised (to Stern) but it wasn't just the people who were at the game but the sponsors as well. They paid good money to have air time during a game featuring the best teams in the league. That's a black eye for the league and a huge loophole if a coach can randomly decide to switch up the product after the sale.
I see where you're coming from on this, but Pop has been doing this for years..and other coaches have as well. You can't just decide out of nowhere that you're going to punish someone for doing something you've allowed everyone to do for years, unless there's a precedent, or something in the rulebook. As far as I know, there's neither. The only precedent set is that it's ok to do it. Now, you decide to punish them because all of a sudden it's the media darling and a nationally televised game on a station that pretty much owns Stern and the league? Too obvious.

DMC
11-30-2012, 12:13 AM
that just shows that Stern only cares about making money instead of the players

Sorry, but HS grads making 20m a year aren't that philanthropic either. It's all about the money.

Spursfan092120
11-30-2012, 12:14 AM
It's not the same. You can sit them on the bench, they are still part of the game. They can be seen by fans and they are part of shoot around. Consider how franchises work. You cannot just yank the product from under your buyers after they've paid.
He's sent the Big 3 home before with no punishment or sanctions. Hell, he went home once and let Coach Bud coach the game also. No sanctions.

DMC
11-30-2012, 12:14 AM
I see where you're coming from on this, but Pop has been doing this for years..and other coaches have as well. You can't just decide out of nowhere that you're going to punish someone for doing something you've allowed everyone to do for years, unless there's a precedent, or something in the rulebook. As far as I know, there's neither. The only precedent set is that it's ok to do it. Now, you decide to punish them because all of a sudden it's the media darling and a nationally televised game on a station that pretty much owns Stern and the league? Too obvious.
Your argument based on how long it's been happening is a flawed one. The league has to assess their damages. No damages no problem, but when your actions affect the world view of the NBA, the NBA has a right to act. You have to understand that the NBA is a business, and rules that govern the game do not govern the corporation. Forget about it being a game, think of it as a provider, customer relationship. Stern wouldn't issue a statement like that if someone like Ted Turner wasn't breathing down his neck with lawsuits.

Clipper Nation
11-30-2012, 12:16 AM
I'm pretty sure Spo did the same exact thing Pop did tonight last year, resting all his starters in a national game against the Celtics, and Stern didn't do shit.... "worldview" my ass...

Spursfan092120
Your argument based on how long it's been happening is a flawed one. The league has to assess their damages. No damages no problem, but when your actions affect the world view of the NBA, the NBA has a right to act.
Guaran-damn-tee this game got good ratings. Especially because the Spurs bench almost beat Superman and the rest of the Justice League.

NRHector

Stern was just trying showcase his Heat team on national TV knowing the Spurs were going to be tired after a b2b

DMC
11-30-2012, 12:19 AM
Guaran-damn-tee this game got good ratings. Especially because the Spurs bench almost beat Superman and the rest of the Justice League.

No. People who found out the Spurs starters weren't playing probably didn't watch. People who were watching anyhow don't change the ratings just because they liked the game.

Most of you are speaking from your homer position. Pop has always pushed the envelope and has willingly paid the fees in the past (like when he and the team skipped media day). A nationally televised game is very important to the league. To shit on TNT (a huge customer of the NBA) is not going to go unaddressed.

DMC
11-30-2012, 12:21 AM
Stern was just trying showcase his Heat team on national TV knowing the Spurs were going to be tired after a b2b

What makes you think Stern favors the Heat? The Spurs have 4 rings and are a model franchise.

There's too much irrational hyperbole going on to even have a real conversation about it.

DMC
11-30-2012, 12:21 AM
I'm pretty sure Spo did the same exact thing Pop did tonight last year, resting all his starters in a national game against the Celtics, and Stern didn't do shit.... "worldview" my ass...

You're a clipper fan, why do you care?

NRHector
11-30-2012, 12:22 AM
No. People who found out the Spurs starters weren't playing probably didn't watch. People who were watching anyhow don't change the ratings just because they liked the game.

Most of you are speaking from your homer position. Pop has always pushed the envelope and has willingly paid the fees in the past (like when he and the team skipped media day). A nationally televised game is very important to the league. To shit on TNT (a huge customer of the NBA) is not going to go unaddressed.

but this game was not about the Spurs, it was about the Heat.

Trainwreck2100
11-30-2012, 12:24 AM
What makes you think Stern favors the Heat? The Spurs have 4 rings and are a model franchise.

There's too much irrational hyperbole going on to even have a real conversation about it.

This game favored the Heat by a wide margin due to the schedule circumstances.

NRHector
11-30-2012, 12:25 AM

because the Spurs don't have superstars and are small market

Spursfan092120
11-30-2012, 12:25 AM

This is not a homer point of view. I've never been a Spurs homer. I'm a Spurs fan. As a fan, if my best players (who are also the oldest players on the team) have played substantial minutes in the last 4 games, which happen to be in 5 nights, they're going to need rest. This is the way the schedule works out. If people want to call it a middle finger to the league, so be it, but Pop didn't call it that. You can't punish off an assumption. He was doing what was best for his team. This league is supposed to be about the players, not the money...that comes from Stern himself.

DMC
11-30-2012, 12:26 AM
but this game was not about the Spurs, it was about the Heat.

It was on TNT because of the Heat, but that's not the point. The sponsors paid for a matchup and you can bet your ass that the quality of the teams affects the prices. Pop could have sat them all game and would still have drawn the ire of Stern, but him sending all of them home was enough to cause Stern to find a way to punish them. I mean really, why not just sit them?

DMC
11-30-2012, 12:26 AM
This is not a homer point of view. I've never been a Spurs homer. I'm a Spurs fan. As a fan, if my best players (who are also the oldest players on the team) have played substantial minutes in the last 4 games, which happen to be in 5 nights, they're going to need rest. This is the way the schedule works out. If people want to call it a middle finger to the league, so be it, but Pop didn't call it that. You can't punish off an assumption. He was doing what was best for his team. This league is supposed to be about the players, not the money...that comes from Stern himself.

Funny they never seem to need that rest in SA. You can rest your starters without sending them home. I agree he was doing what he felt was good, but he knew he was also violating rules. He's President of Basketball Operations for the most successful franchise in the NBA, surely he knows the rules.

NRHector
11-30-2012, 12:28 AM
It was on TNT because of the Heat, but that's not the point. The sponsors paid for a matchup and you can bet your ass that the quality of the teams affects the prices. Pop could have sat them all game and would still have drawn the ire of Stern, but him sending all of them home was enough to cause Stern to find a way to punish them. I mean really, why not just sit them?

Pop is trying to get a point to Stern but he's just to stubborn not to get it or he's getting it and doesn't give a shit

DMC
11-30-2012, 12:29 AM
because the Spurs don't have superstars and are small market

That's conspiracy talk I don't care to entertain. There's no evidence to support it. The fact Paul didn't go to the Lakers pretty much shits on that notion anyhow.

Spursfan092120
11-30-2012, 12:29 AM
Funny they never seem to need that rest in SA. You can rest your starters without sending them home. I agree he was doing what he felt was good, but he knew he was also violating rules. He's President of Basketball Operations for the most successful franchise in the NBA, surely he knows the rules.
If you can show me the rule he's violating, I'll agree. I don't know of any rule stating he doesn't have the right to send players home if he deems it necessary.

DMC
11-30-2012, 12:30 AM
Pop is trying to get a point to Stern but he's just to stubborn not to get it or he's getting it and doesn't give a shit

Pop isn't in a position to teach Stern anything. Stern is the commissioner of the NBA, Pop just leads a franchise. CEO's are much more powerful than the managers of the franchises they sell, and their rule is much more absolute.

DMC
11-30-2012, 12:31 AM
If you can show me the rule he's violating, I'll agree. I don't know of any rule stating he doesn't have the right to send players home if he deems it necessary.

You'll have to show me the franchise contract first. Stern and Holt/RC will hash that out and if there's no violation there will likely be no penalty.

NRHector
11-30-2012, 12:31 AM

if is the most successful franchise in the NBA because of him then he did the right thing

DMC
11-30-2012, 12:34 AM
This game favored the Heat by a wide margin due to the schedule circumstances.

It did, but Pop didn't do it because the Spurs might lose. He wanted them to perform well in front of Spurs fans in SA. Those are the people who pay Pop's salary. Stern sees a bigger picture, all NBA fans, because that's who pays his salary.

NRHector
11-30-2012, 12:34 AM
That's conspiracy talk I don't care to entertain. There's no evidence to support it. The fact Paul didn't go to the Lakers pretty much shits on that notion anyhow.

what? conspiracy? what are you talking about?

Trainwreck2100
11-30-2012, 12:35 AM
You'll have to show me the franchise contract first. Stern and Holt/RC will hash that out and if there's no violation there will likely be no penalty.

there's nothing anywhere that says the team has to play their players. If there was then we'd just see a return of guy's sitting out for "back spasms" and "flu like symptoms" everyone knew it was going on so they instituted the inactive player list.

Spursfan092120
11-30-2012, 12:35 AM
The only thing going through my head is Deputy Commissioner Silver saying "Strategic resting of particular players on particular nights is within the discretion of the teams." If there was a problem, I don't see that coming out of his mouth this past April.

Spursfan092120
11-30-2012, 12:36 AM
DNP Old...Pop..just say it.

KaiRMD1
11-30-2012, 12:37 AM
I think Stern just made everyone love the Spurs lmao

Spursfan092120
11-30-2012, 12:38 AM
I think Stern just made everyone love the Spurs lmao
I was thinking the same thing. I bet the Spurs just got some new fans...people who HATE basketball because of Stern..lol

Trainwreck2100
11-30-2012, 12:38 AM
It did, but Pop didn't do it because the Spurs might lose. He wanted them to perform well in front of Spurs fans in SA. Those are the people who pay Pop's salary. Stern sees a bigger picture, all NBA fans, because that's who pays his salary.
No he wants them to beat their divisional opponent and conference rival. That Sat. game if vastly more important than the Heat game in tiebreaker scenarios alone. The first home game back from a long road trip is the worst.

DMC
11-30-2012, 12:40 AM
The only thing going through my head is Deputy Commissioner Silver saying "Strategic resting of particular players on particular nights is within the discretion of the teams." If there was a problem, I don't see that coming out of his mouth this past April.

You have to be able to differentiate "strategic resting" and "absence of players". It might seem like the same thing, but it's not. The Spurs could have rested their players on the 2nd of that b2b when they played OT in Toronto. They could have played the bench against the Wizards and still won. Why pick the nationally televised game? I think franchises have a duty to represent the league on the national stage. Pop seems to be more of an isolationist and I don't see how that's good for business. I don't disagree with Pop's call, and I find it entertaining theater, but from an outside view I think Pop's job is also to rep the league, not just the Spurs.

DMC
11-30-2012, 12:41 AM
No he wants them to beat their divisional opponent and conference rival. That Sat. game if vastly more important than the Heat game in tiebreaker scenarios alone. The first home game back from a long road trip is the worst.

Which would mean performing well at home in the next game. Spurs will lose that home game btw. It always happens when Pop rests starters for the next game.

Trainwreck2100
11-30-2012, 12:46 AM
Which would mean performing well at home in the next game. Spurs will lose that home game btw. It always happens when Pop rests starters for the next game.

Yes they are i expect foul trouble and the game to be called really tight as a counter middle finger from Stern to pop.

Spursfan092120
11-30-2012, 12:47 AM
You have to be able to differentiate "strategic resting" and "absence of players". It might seem like the same thing, but it's not. The Spurs could have rested their players on the 2nd of that b2b when they played OT in Toronto. They could have played the bench against the Wizards and still won. Why pick the nationally televised game? I think franchises have a duty to represent the league on the national stage. Pop seems to be more of an isolationist and I don't see how that's good for business. I don't disagree with Pop's call, and I find it entertaining theater, but from an outside view I think Pop's job is also to rep the league, not just the Spurs.
Holt signs the check. This was the 4th game in 5 nights. If they play the Big 3 against an aggressive team like Miami tonight, and something happens to one of the players, fans and others are asking Pop why did he play these guys on the 4th game in 5 nights. Why didn't he rest them? Pop was doing what was best for his players, which he considers like his family. Not a damn thing wrong with what he did.

Clipper Nation
11-30-2012, 12:50 AM
You're a clipper fan, why do you care?

Stern acting like a dictator and overstepping his job description affects all teams, not just the Spurs.....

ElNono
11-30-2012, 01:20 AM
what I want to know if sanctions are also going to be handed out to teams that blatantly tank... sit uninjured players out with some BS excuse to get better odds in the lottery...

not that I would be against that, tbh.

Trainwreck2100
11-30-2012, 01:23 AM
made it myself
http://i46.tinypic.com/280i4d0.jpg

DMC
11-30-2012, 01:27 AM
Stern acting like a dictator and overstepping his job description affects all teams, not just the Spurs.....

Let's see how many other teams come to Pop's rescue.

DMC
11-30-2012, 01:28 AM
Holt signs the check. This was the 4th game in 5 nights. If they play the Big 3 against an aggressive team like Miami tonight, and something happens to one of the players, fans and others are asking Pop why did he play these guys on the 4th game in 5 nights. Why didn't he rest them? Pop was doing what was best for his players, which he considers like his family. Not a damn thing wrong with what he did.

You cannot see the forest for the trees. You're talking about the game and I'm talking about the business.

Trainwreck2100
11-30-2012, 01:28 AM
Let's see how many other teams come to Pop's rescue.
nobody's gonna say shit , but it could fuck teams up that want to rest at the end of the season

DMC
11-30-2012, 01:29 AM
Yes they are i expect foul trouble and the game to be called really tight as a counter middle finger from Stern to pop.

We don't need ref conspiracy theories to find reasons why we lose.

DMC
11-30-2012, 01:29 AM
nobody's gonna say shit , but it could fuck teams up that want to rest at the end of the season

The league hands out fines on a case by case basis. It's not case law.

DMC
11-30-2012, 01:31 AM
I was thinking the same thing. I bet the Spurs just got some new fans...people who HATE basketball because of Stern..lol

LG is in love with Pop about now. They would roast Mike D over an open fire and eat his knee replacement to get Pop as a coach (oddly that wouldn't help them as Pop doesn't coach big personalities and egos).

Spursfan092120
You cannot see the forest for the trees. You're talking about the game and I'm talking about the business.
I know exactly what you're talking about..I see just fine. But the bottom line is, going by Stern, this is supposed to be about the players, not the money.

Trainwreck2100
The league hands out fines on a case by case basis. It's not case law.

How will they justify punishing the Spurs and not anyone else?

DMC
11-30-2012, 01:37 AM
How will they justify punishing the Spurs and not anyone else?

They don't have to justify it to us. The league is supposed to be representing the customer (us). I'm not supporting Stern, but I do see the problem. It's a slippery slope if you let it be, but the so was flopping and just making a penalty for it seems to have really quelled it. Other teams likely will be more careful but Pop is the only person I've ever seen go that far.

DMC
11-30-2012, 01:37 AM
I know exactly what you're talking about..I see just fine. But the bottom line is, going by Stern, this is supposed to be about the players, not the money.

No, he apologized to the fans, not to the players. When a CEO apologizes to his customers, it's always about the money.

Trainwreck2100
11-30-2012, 01:40 AM
No, he apologized to the fans, not to the players. When a CEO apologizes to his customers, it's always about the money.

He apologized to the fans for what ended up being a five point loss, that was close till the end

phyzik
11-30-2012, 01:43 AM
Chalres put it best....

Pop Plays chess, not checkers.

Stern has made this a checkers game. Regardless of the situation, Im thankful to Pop for thumbing his nose at the current NBA standard. In the end, its about championships and Pop hasnt lost sight of that. that doesnt mean the Spurs will win it all, but the ideology behind it is sound in regards to the current state of the NBA.

djohn2oo8
11-30-2012, 08:25 AM
Pop straight up shittin on the mob. Love it.

Spursfan092120
11-30-2012, 09:03 AM
Exactly what I'm saying..Stern has always said it's about the players, not the money...so Pop did nothing wrong.

LakeShow
11-30-2012, 12:36 PM

This is true, I had a couple of people over to watch the game and when we found out that they were not playing, we didn't watch the game.

Koolaid_Man
11-30-2012, 12:47 PM
LG is in love with Pop about now. They would roast Mike D over an open fire and eat his knee replacement to get Pop as a coach (oddly that wouldn't help them as Pop doesn't coach big personalities and egos).

So he coaches small dicks :lol

DMC
11-30-2012, 04:49 PM
So he coaches small dicks :lol

So when you stroke a man's ego you're jerking him off?

Cry Havoc
11-30-2012, 06:07 PM
They don't have to justify it to us.

Wtf are you talking about? Of course they don't have to justify it to us. They DO, however, have to justify it to the 29 other owners in the league who can rightly take this issue to court. You cannot fine people with no rationale, no existing rule, and no precedent. It doesn't work like that in Pro sports, a fact you seem to be completely absent of. Owners and the players union both can, at any time, take a legal issue to court if they see fit.

BlackSwordsMan
11-30-2012, 06:15 PM
nugga 250k is chump change to my boy holt

Spurs9
11-30-2012, 06:18 PM
nugga 250k is chump change to my boy holt
Holt didn't get where he is at by pissing away 250k.