PDA

View Full Version : StT investment advisors

Th'Pusher
11-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Say I have $50 sitting in a savings account. Where would you put it outside of the stock market?

Home improvement?
Rental property?
Lottery tickets?

Drachen
11-29-2012, 11:01 PM
I guess with that amount you could paint your baseboards and door trim

Th'Pusher
11-29-2012, 11:07 PM
I guess with that amount you could paint your baseboards and door trim

I wasn't pretending it was a lot of money. Just wondering what fellow spurs talkers would do with 50k to invest outside of the stock market?..

Drachen
11-29-2012, 11:09 PM
Say I have $50 sitting in a savings account. Where would you put it outside of the stock market?

Home improvement?
Rental property?
Lottery tickets?

I wasn't pretending it was a lot of money. Just wondering what fellow spurs talkers would do with 50k to invest outside of the stock market?..

Th'Pusher
11-29-2012, 11:20 PM
Sorry 50k

baseline bum
11-29-2012, 11:33 PM
You could buy 50 hours son...

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/14713/thumbs/s-ELIOT-KRISTEN-DOUBLE-large.jpg

http://cdn.inquisitr.com/wp-content/ashley-dupre.jpg

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/14707/original.jpg

Th'Pusher
11-29-2012, 11:42 PM
You could buy 50 hours son...

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/14713/thumbs/s-ELIOT-KRISTEN-DOUBLE-large.jpg

http://cdn.inquisitr.com/wp-content/ashley-dupre.jpg

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/14707/original.jpg
Oh my. That doesn't seem like a practical investment.

Wild Cobra
11-30-2012, 03:18 AM
You should keep several months of your living costs in a savings account, in case something happens to your revenue stream.

50 bux... Keep it in savings.

coyotes_geek
11-30-2012, 09:09 AM

Home improvement?
Rental property?
Lottery tickets?

Depends what your finances outside of that $50k look like. If you're carrying any non-mortgage debt or you don't have a rainy day fund set up for yourself I'd put the money there before doing anything else.

DUNCANownsKOBE
11-30-2012, 09:12 AM
If you qualify this year and are sure you won't need the money at all, put as much as you can in a Roth IRA. God knows where tax rates will be when you retire and all income from the Roth IRA is tax exempt.

Th'Pusher
11-30-2012, 09:15 AM
Depends what your finances outside of that $50k look like. If you're carrying any non-mortgage debt or you don't have a rainy day fund set up for yourself I'd put the money there before doing anything else.

No non mortgage debt with the exception of $7k at 1.9% for a car loan. It's over and above a rainy day fund.

Th'Pusher
11-30-2012, 09:17 AM
If you qualify this year and are sure you won't need the money at all, put as much as you can in a Roth IRA. God knows where tax rates will be when you retire and all income from the Roth IRA is tax exempt.

Good to know. I was hoping for something a bit more liquid that that. I don't foresee needing the money in the near future, but would like to have access to it if needed.

CosmicCowboy
11-30-2012, 09:23 AM
I'd put $20K down on two rental properties. At todays interest rates current rental income covers the mortgage, insurance, and taxes.

Th'Pusher
11-30-2012, 09:27 AM
I'd put $20K down on two rental properties. At todays interest rates current rental income covers the mortgage, insurance, and taxes.

That's what I've have been contemplating. Just not sure I want the responsibility of being a landlord. Maybe a condo In Port A where they rent it out and take care of everything and just take a cut of the proceeds? That way I could pull it out of the rental pool and enjoy it myself when I wanted to.

coyotes_geek
11-30-2012, 09:42 AM
No non mortgage debt with the exception of $7k at 1.9% for a car loan. It's over and above a rainy day fund.

My wife and I are fans of being mortgage free so any extra money we have we're using to pay that down. So in your situation I would pay off the car and throw the rest at the mortgage.

Th'Pusher
11-30-2012, 09:43 AM
My wife and I are fans of being mortgage free so any extra money we have we're using to pay that down. So in your situation I would pay off the car and throw the rest at the mortgage.

That's no fun! Really though, thanks for the advice.

CosmicCowboy
11-30-2012, 09:44 AM

That's obviously the safe and conservative thing to do but with interest at historic lows I personally think leverage is the better way to go especially when mortgage interest is deductible. I'm leveraging everything I can on hard assets that will increase in value along with the inevitable inflation.

coyotes_geek
11-30-2012, 09:49 AM
That's no fun! Really though, thanks for the advice.

Well it's no fun now, but the Mrs and I are banking on it being really fun to be mortgage free in our mid-40s. :)

coyotes_geek
11-30-2012, 09:56 AM
That's obviously the safe and conservative thing to do but with interest at historic lows I personally think leverage is the better way to go especially when mortgage interest is deductible. I'm leveraging everything I can on hard assets that will increase in value along with the inevitable inflation.

Nothing wrong with that approach either. It's personal preference. Part of what's affecting our decision is that my wife, who has a good paying job now, is getting pretty close to topping out in her career. She doesn't see herself wanting to stick around once that happens, so getting us mortgage free makes it a lot easier for her to go do something she'll enjoy, even if it pays less.

CosmicCowboy
11-30-2012, 10:08 AM
Nothing wrong with that approach either. It's personal preference. Part of what's affecting our decision is that my wife, who has a good paying job now, is getting pretty close to topping out in her career. She doesn't see herself wanting to stick around once that happens, so getting us mortgage free makes it a lot easier for her to go do something she'll enjoy, even if it pays less.

You are a nicer guy than I am. My wife used to not work. I would pay all the bills and give her 2K cash a month walking around money. When she started spending that AND charging another 2K a month on credit cards I cut her off and told her if she needed money to get her fat ass out and get a job.

coyotes_geek
11-30-2012, 10:19 AM
You are a nicer guy than I am. My wife used to not work. I would pay all the bills and give her 2K cash a month walking around money. When she started spending that AND charging another 2K a month on credit cards I cut her off and told her if she needed money to get her fat ass out and get a job.

:lol

Thankfully I don't have to deal with that situation. My wife doesn't mind working, she just doesn't want to be stuck in a dead end job that doesn't interest her anymore.

symple19
11-30-2012, 11:28 AM
You really gave her 2k a month "walking around" money?!?!?!

Jesus cucking christ, CC.

The above is reason #23876487326482734 that i'm not married. If the worst happens and I do attach the ol' ball n' chain, then it will be in the pre-nup that she must maintain full-time employment :lol

TeyshaBlue
11-30-2012, 12:09 PM
Well it's no fun now, but the Mrs and I are banking on it being really fun to be mortgage free in our mid-40s. :)
I hate you.

TeyshaBlue
11-30-2012, 12:10 PM
But, think of all the LTD's you could by with that mortgage money!

RandomGuy
11-30-2012, 12:54 PM

Home improvement?
Rental property?
Lottery tickets?

Depends on how young you are, and what your risk tolerance is.

If you are under 50, and have that much cash sitting around, you are wildly under-earning on that money.

Down payment on a duplex is probably best, outside the stock market. That said, you have to spend a huge amount of time at the beginning learning how to rent it profitably.

Live on one side and rent out the other.

In the stock market:

Coke stock, w/ automatic dividend reinvestment for part of it that isn't use on the duplex, again works best the younger you are.

RandomGuy
11-30-2012, 12:59 PM

Bingo.

Paying down a mortgage doesn't make sense if you can take the $$ and earn more than you are paying in interest somewhere else.

RandomGuy
11-30-2012, 01:06 PM
That's what I've have been contemplating. Just not sure I want the responsibility of being a landlord. Maybe a condo In Port A where they rent it out and take care of everything and just take a cut of the proceeds? That way I could pull it out of the rental pool and enjoy it myself when I wanted to.

Have good liability insurance, and all else will take care of itself eventually.

If you want, PM me if you live in San Antonio, buy me a good six pack or two, and I will give you a couple of hours worth of help in fleshing this out. Wife and I have a good deal of experience, and I get a lot of satisfaction out of helping others.

The hardest part is finding people to fix shit when it breaks, if you can't do it yourself. Heh, CC would probably make a good place to start for AC/heating.

Get a few episodes of "income property" show to see how to get a good build up that will rent for decent cash, and show you some of the potential pitfalls:
http://www.hgtv.com/income-property/show/index.html

Read a few books, get some standard lease forms etc.

Most important advice is to set aside a little bit of cash every month as a reserve for major repairs and other events.

RandomGuy
11-30-2012, 01:08 PM

Ah.. that changes things, and CG made a good point.

You should have set aside about a year's worth of cash, possibly two, then go investing.

GoodOdor
11-30-2012, 01:11 PM
I'm in a similar situation tbh.

Basically got 20k in cash sitting around, and I'm thinking of getting a mortgage and buying a condo.

My credit is 759, what kind of loan can I get?

CosmicCowboy
11-30-2012, 01:14 PM

Basically got 20k in cash sitting around, and I'm thinking of getting a mortgage and buying a condo.

I just locked an FHA with 3.5% down @ 3.250%

If you go 20% down you can even beat that and won't have to get mortgage insurance or escrow taxes and insurance.

GoodOdor
11-30-2012, 01:19 PM
First time buyer? I just locked an FHA with 3.5% down @ 3.250%

First time anything pretty much:lol

Do you have any good resources to read up for someone who basically knows nothing about buying a house?

Also, assuming I can save up some more, is it better to drop a bigger down payment or not?

DUNCANownsKOBE
11-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Bigger down payment = lower interest rate from what I know.

GoodOdor
11-30-2012, 01:21 PM
Bigger down payment = lower interest rate from what I know.

Makes sense:lol

CosmicCowboy
11-30-2012, 01:34 PM
First time anything pretty much:lol

Do you have any good resources to read up for someone who basically knows nothing about buying a house?

Also, assuming I can save up some more, is it better to drop a bigger down payment or not?

My advice is to hire a realtor.

There is a lot (or should be a lot) of wheeling and dealing involved.

In my recent case I went in with a pre-approval letter from a mortgage company which really helps sellers know you are serious.

In my case asking price was 157K

I offered 150K with seller paying for the survey and paying another $2000 towards closing costs.

I expected a counter offer but didn't get one. Guess I could have been more aggressive but I was already well under appraised value and the house had only been on the market for ten days and it really is a nice unit in a great neighborhood.

Then I got a home inspection and since I now knew they were a motivated seller I hammered them for an additional (approximate) $4000 of repairs/service...even shit like having an A/C company clean and service the A/C and having the electrical panel replaced.

They accepted all my conditions

RandomGuy
11-30-2012, 01:41 PM

1-2 years worth of cash is a good place to start. Tally up your normal expenses, and multiply by 30 to allow for two years of unemployment or similar problems and a little cushion for the inevitable hiccup.

AFTER you get that, then go investing.

That is the conservative way to go. I would point out the current job climate means fairly long stints in unemployment.

GoodOdor
11-30-2012, 01:43 PM
1-2 years worth of cash is a good place to start. Tally up your normal expenses, and multiply by 30 to allow for two years of unemployment or similar problems and a little cushion for the inevitable hiccup.

That is the conservative way to go. I would point out the current job climate means fairly long stints in unemployment.

Good point, I'm trying to save up as much as I can now just in case that happens, but it seems
a waste letting the money sit without it doing much.....on the other hand, it's nice that it's there if I need it right away:lol

Th'Pusher
11-30-2012, 01:58 PM

1-2 years? I have like 6 months in my emergency fund. My wife works though so the chances of us both losing our job at the same time are slim. 30 months though. For me thats like $130k in cash? Mortgage and bills are ~4400 per/month...

RandomGuy
11-30-2012, 02:25 PM
1-2 years? I have like 6 months in my emergency fund. My wife works though so the chances of us both losing our job at the same time are slim. 30 months though. For me thats like $130k in cash? Mortgage and bills are ~4400 per/month...

Unemployment is not the only thing that might keep you from working.

A catastrophic health event will blow through $130k in a month.

If you don't like keeping that amount of cash around, income-replacement insurance would also be good.

Most financial advisers say one year. I prefer two, with a few months extra to allow for something expensive to happen in that time. Just my preference. It is very conservative.

RandomGuy
11-30-2012, 02:30 PM
Good point, I'm trying to save up as much as I can now just in case that happens, but it seems
a waste letting the money sit without it doing much.....on the other hand, it's nice that it's there if I need it right away:lol

One possibility:

Build up this money in 2 year CD's. Take $200 (for example) and buy a 2 year CD, every month. Let the interest build up, and then when the two years is up, roll over the interest into the next two year purchase, as well as continuing to add $200/month. Haven't gotten around to this myself yet, so not really sure the mechanics work well/easy, but it seems like a solid, automatic plan.

This would not be fully liquid, instant cash, but would provide solid income supplement, any time you want to simply stop rolling over.

Th'Pusher
11-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Unemployment is not the only thing that might keep you from working.

A catastrophic health event will blow through $130k in a month.

If you don't like keeping that amount of cash around, income-replacement insurance would also be good.

Most financial advisers say one year. I prefer two, with a few months extra to allow for something expensive to happen in that time. Just my preference. It is very conservative.

Alright. Never mind everyone. Thanks for the advice, but it turns out I don't have 50k laying around anymore :lol

RandomGuy
11-30-2012, 02:39 PM
Alright. Never mind everyone. Thanks for the advice, but it turns out I don't have 50k laying around anymore :lol

AFLAC!!!

Heh. Sorry to ruin the fun. Keep in mind my advice is simply VERY conservative in that one regard. If you have a bit more risk tolerance, by all means invest away, but at least you know a bit more about your risk environment to be able to make an informed decision.

TeyshaBlue
11-30-2012, 02:42 PM

Oh...you went ahead and rented the chick on the first page? :lol

timvp
11-30-2012, 02:47 PM
My advice is to hire a realtor.

There is a lot (or should be a lot) of wheeling and dealing involved.

In my recent case I went in with a pre-approval letter from a mortgage company which really helps sellers know you are serious.

In my case asking price was 157K

I offered 150K with seller paying for the survey and paying another $2000 towards closing costs.

I expected a counter offer but didn't get one. Guess I could have been more aggressive but I was already well under appraised value and the house had only been on the market for ten days and it really is a nice unit in a great neighborhood.

Then I got a home inspection and since I now knew they were a motivated seller I hammered them for an additional (approximate) $4000 of repairs/service...even shit like having an A/C company clean and service the A/C and having the electrical panel replaced.

They accepted all my conditions

Damn, ~91% of full asking price within 10 days? CC with generosity goods :tu

TeyshaBlue
11-30-2012, 02:48 PM
I would've bought SpursTalk with 50k.

CosmicCowboy
11-30-2012, 02:51 PM
Damn, ~91% of full asking price within 10 days? CC with generosity goods :tu

Sounds bad LJ but I did my research on recent closings in the area...8 out of 10 went at full ask price and the others were only a little bit off...this is a damn nice area.

Th'Pusher
11-30-2012, 02:53 PM
I would've bought SpursTalk with 50k.
I do need to replace my septic tank.

TeyshaBlue
11-30-2012, 02:54 PM

OOOooooooo...that's gonna leave a mark.

CosmicCowboy
11-30-2012, 03:00 PM

why?

timvp
11-30-2012, 03:02 PM
Sounds bad LJ but I did my research on recent closings in the area...8 out of 10 went at full ask price and the others were only a little bit off...this is a damn nice area.

Fair enough. Can't really make a judgement without seeing the comps but it sounds like you did your research. Plus, you saved time on negotiations, which has value in its own right.

Though generally, even in the improving market, opening at anything north of 80% is unwise. Hell, for an investment property, I'd wait around until you can snag something at 60-70%.

timvp
11-30-2012, 03:04 PM

:lol Well played.

CosmicCowboy
11-30-2012, 03:14 PM
Fair enough. Can't really make a judgement without seeing the comps but it sounds like you did your research. Plus, you saved time on negotiations, which has value in its own right.

Though generally, even in the improving market, opening at anything north of 80% is unwise. Hell, for an investment property, I'd wait around until you can snag something at 60-70%.

Actually, I think I'm OK...These people had a horrible realtor...we ended up having to go to the broker because the listing realtor wouldn't even return phone calls...and based on other sales in the area I think the realtor didn't do her homework and under priced it...I'm expecting appraisal to be at least 25K more than the offer.

coyotes_geek
11-30-2012, 03:22 PM
But, think of all the LTD's you could by with that mortgage money!

:lol

We could by one of those POS' a month.

Th'Pusher
11-30-2012, 03:35 PM
It's 37 years old

Th'Pusher
11-30-2012, 03:38 PM
why?
It's 37 years old

CosmicCowboy
11-30-2012, 03:42 PM
It's 37 years old

Is it cracked?

Th'Pusher
11-30-2012, 03:49 PM
Is it cracked? No I'm not going to replace it till it's dead just making a joke really. It's likely on it's last leg though.

CosmicCowboy
11-30-2012, 03:49 PM
Is it cracked?

Reason I'm asking is if it's not cracked you shouldn't need to replace the tank. Just get it pumped out. You might need to replace the laterals but the tank should be fine.

Th'Pusher
11-30-2012, 04:05 PM
Reason I'm asking is if it's not cracked you shouldn't need to replace the tank. Just get it pumped out. You might need to replace the laterals but the tank should be fine.
Good to know. I know nothing about septic systems. We bought the house in 2010, had it pumped for the inspection, but the realtor said they had a 30 to 50 year life span so I felt I was living on borrowed time as the house was built in '75.

elbamba
11-30-2012, 04:08 PM

I wish I had more friends and family that think like you.:toast