PDA

View Full Version : Luis Scola: Next Spurs Dominant Force

batman2883
06-28-2005, 02:50 PM
After watching Scola rip through the 2004 Olympics, pulling at least 17.6 points and 5 rebounds a game. I have to admit this guy is definitly spurs material. He plays like a beast on the boards and certainly gets above the rim, however his defense is something that really really needs working on. I think with a little more work and heavy concentration in training camp, Scola could be prepared to take on a starting role, which still is a very long shot though.

Ocotillo
06-28-2005, 02:54 PM
Dumb question: Does Scola speak English?

batman2883
06-28-2005, 02:55 PM
Im pretty sure he has learned a bit, especially playing overseas and working with Manu. The moment he got drafted by the Spurs his language lessons in English should have began.

Gino2882
06-28-2005, 02:56 PM
Even if he struggles with his English he is coming to an environment where he will be accepted. Great friends with Manu, Duncan and crew will make him feel welcome.

This is probably the best organization in the league to come to if you are a foreign player.

Solid D
06-28-2005, 02:58 PM
I disagree with your topic title. I like Luis' game but I don't see him as dominant. He'd be a good addition to a Spurs team that likes lots of passing and moving the defense around. Starting him automatically moves Tim to the 5 and jumping center so I don't think that's the ideal solution. He's better off the bench as an energy scorer and hustle guy. That's how Tau used him.

Ocotillo
06-28-2005, 02:58 PM
I'm just thinking in terms of developing him defensively will the coaching staff have to deal with a language barrier. Obviously, Manu could help and there are a number of Spanish speaking people in San Antonio to help out like Jimmy Chang.

SWC Bonfire
06-28-2005, 02:59 PM
Dumb question: Does Scola speak English?

He's probably coming to the one place where that's not much of a handycap. :lol

batman2883
06-28-2005, 03:00 PM
I disagree with your topic title. I like Luis' game but I don't see him as dominant. He'd be a good addition to a Spurs team that likes lots of passing and moving the defense around. Starting him automatically moves Tim to the 5 and jumping center so I don't think that's the ideal solution. He's better off the bench as an energy scorer and hustle guy. That's how Tau used him.

I actually put a question mark after it so it could be stated as a question but it didnt come out? However i do believe he will not start right away especially with Tim not being comfortable playing the center position, i think after all star break we might see that shift of Scola to the starting line up.

Mr. Body
06-28-2005, 03:01 PM
He's going to be loved for his hustle and willingness to bang. He'll be another fan favorite coming off the bench and has the skills to rip through most bench competition. Very nice pickup. Whatever they draft tonight is icing on the cake, really.

batman2883
06-28-2005, 03:03 PM
He's going to be loved for his hustle and willingness to bang. He'll be another fan favorite coming off the bench and has the skills to rip through most bench competition. Very nice pickup. Whatever they draft tonight is icing on the cake, really.

Excellent point, funny how you say fan favorite for hustling and coming off the bench. We dont have to look further than #20 himself who made a name for himself for hustling and coming off the bench for the past 2 years, Luis Scola has been labled the Manu of Power Fowards, his hustle will win crowds over.

Nikos
06-28-2005, 03:08 PM
If Scola can play similiar to a prime Corliss Williamson or Antoine Carr I would be extatic.

batman2883
06-28-2005, 03:09 PM
Like I always say- he will more than likely be taken to SCOOLA by Reggie Evans!

Okay who let the fan of the team that could'nt even make the playoffs in???

Mr. Body
06-28-2005, 03:15 PM
If Scola can play similiar to a prime Corliss Williamson or Antoine Carr I would be extatic.

I think that's almost a given.

What I love about this is it shores up an already great second unit. Before Duncan went down, we were riding high to one of the best per-game point differentials in league history. There's no reason to suspect it won't be the case next year, and the bench was a big part of it - when the starters go out, the bench is still able to attack and put pressure on the other team's bench, maintaining the separation. With Scola and a better bench post-game, and with a resurgent Barry the bench is even more of a plus, with games getting pushed out of reach more and more often when the second unit picks up where the first left off. (Add to that Pop's new rotations of leaving one of Duncan-Parker-Ginobili in as much as possible.)

That's tremendously exciting. It'll result in more uncontested games, the same reduced minutes for starters, and possibly the deepest team in the NBA.

batman2883
06-28-2005, 03:22 PM
I think that's almost a given.

What I love about this is it shores up an already great second unit. Before Duncan went down, we were riding high to one of the best per-game point differentials in league history. There's no reason to suspect it won't be the case next year, and the bench was a big part of it - when the starters go out, the bench is still able to attack and put pressure on the other team's bench, maintaining the separation. With Scola and a better bench post-game, and with a resurgent Barry the bench is even more of a plus, with games getting pushed out of reach more and more often when the second unit picks up where the first left off. (Add to that Pop's new rotations of leaving one of Duncan-Parker-Ginobili in as much as possible.)

That's tremendously exciting. It'll result in more uncontested games, the same reduced minutes for starters, and possibly the deepest team in the NBA.

You hit that nail square on the head, the spurs' bench with the addition of Scola will definitly continue to dominate any other team's bench for a time to come. Tonight's draft pick will just be the icing on the cake to quote someone else on this thread. As Espn stated on their site, Scola is the best player get drafted today that isnt available to the draft.

Fouled Out
06-28-2005, 03:30 PM
Do the Spurs have a hold on this guy Scola or is he still available for any team to pick up.

batman2883
06-28-2005, 03:31 PM
Do the Spurs have a hold on this guy Scola or is he still available for any team to pick up.

Spurs own this guys rights we drafted him in 2002 we just have to buy him out of his Euro contract

Solid D
06-28-2005, 03:33 PM
The Spurs have his rights. He cannot sign with any other NBA team unless the Spurs trade his rights.

timvp
06-28-2005, 03:34 PM

Good points. Didn't he come off the bench for Argentina too in the Olympics (at least until Oberto broke his hand)?

He's not going to be a dominant force. Hopefully he'll replace some of the energy and toughness the Spurs lost when they traded away Malik Rose.

Fouled Out
06-28-2005, 03:36 PM
All right sounds good then, buy him out and let's keep this team going. What do you think the Spurs should do in this situation, you think they have to trade or give up one of our players in order for us to have some breathing room in money and pick this guy up or what?

MadDog73
06-28-2005, 03:38 PM
Like I always say- he will more than likely be taken to SCOOLA by Reggie Evans!

Who's Reggie Evan?!? :lol

batman2883
06-28-2005, 03:40 PM
Who's Reggie Evan?!? :lol

Don't pay him any attention he thinks Garnett is better than Duncan he has no clue what he's talking about.

Pistons < Spurs
06-28-2005, 03:44 PM
I admittedly don't know much about Scola, but from everything I read, it seems like many ppl are getting a little too hyped before we've really seen him play in the NBA.

It appears that he's not much of a rebounder. 5.4 average I believe. Very few assists. roughly 1 a game. Very poor free throw shooting. 67%? He's listed at 6-10, but I read elsewhere that some scouts believe he's closer to 6-7???? not sure about that, pretty large discrepency.

I enjoyed the little I saw of him from the Olympics. But I just don't see him being all that great. Probably a bench/ energy guy that can bang down low.

Just my initial impression. I look forward to getting more of a look at him.

fonzy16
06-28-2005, 03:48 PM
1. team
duncan, manu, parker, nazr and bowen

2.team
scola, barry, udrih, rasho and brown

and horry helping around in postseason

i like it. i like it alot

manubili
06-28-2005, 03:49 PM
I'd love to see Scola in a spurs jersey.
We don't know how he's gonna adapt, how much time will he need. Only time will tell.

What I do know is that this guy has a LOT of heart. He showed it in the olympics.

Besides, he also has his highs and lows, like Manu, like Tim, like Tony. I remember some moments in 2002 World Championship when I was yelling at him, because he couldn't make a decent play. But this characteristic makes him more spurish!!! That's something inevitable.

And when he is hot, he can be the X factor in crucial moments.

I Can't wait to see what happens!

Mr. Body
06-28-2005, 03:50 PM
I enjoyed the little I saw of him from the Olympics. But I just don't see him being all that great. Probably a bench/ energy guy that can bang down low.

Pretty much what people have been saying. He's a bench guy that can bang down low.

He's about 6'7" and doesn't rebound as much as he should. His overall defense might also be suspect at this point in his career. His real strength is inside scoring, which draws the comparisons to Corliss Williamson. Nobody's projecting him as a star, but he is a borderline starter in this league. Most of all, he's a proven winner, was terrific last year in the Olympics. Most people on this board remember a stunning transition block he threw down on a Jermain O'Neal dunk attempt in the WBCs a few years ago, which caused O'Neal to lose his cool and try to step on him. He still has that ability. He's no yeoman on the blocks - he has game changing ability.

slayermin
06-28-2005, 06:28 PM
His game is probably similar to Kenny Thomas. But I think Scola is better in the open court. Thomas is maybe a little bit better on the boards.

lefty
10-31-2011, 12:08 AM
:lol

slick'81
10-31-2011, 12:15 AM
fck that we got bon bon

baseline bum
10-31-2011, 12:44 AM
Man, fuck you lefty. :pctoss

Mr. Body
10-31-2011, 12:50 AM
Shaking my motherfucking head.