PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo: David Stern's failed culture war against the San Antonio Spurs

timvp
11-30-2012, 03:23 PM
David Stern stumbles again in his failed culture war against the Spurs
by Adrian Wojnarowski
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--david-stern-stumbles-again-in-his-failed-culture-war-against-the-spurs-194828970.html

Before the emperor of the NBA leaves his Olympic Tower office, this is the holy war that those within the San Antonio Spurs' extended family expected David Stern to eventually wage on Gregg Popovich and his program's culture. The commissioner burped that terse, threatening statement promising "substantial sanctions" to the rogue state of his totalitarian nation on Thursday night. This has been a long time coming out of the commissioner's office.

And yet, once more, Stern's tossed a temper tantrum that left everyone around him embarrassed, humiliated and wondering why he insisted on staying until February of 2014. All these years, Stern and his underlings privately complained and moaned that no one wanted to watch the Spurs, that they destroyed his TV ratings, that they were uninteresting, unappealing and impossible to market to the masses.

And now, this act of condemnation for Popovich would be bathed in the ultimate of twisted irony: Without the Spurs' stars, Stern was selling that the NBA logo had been desecrated, that a public trust had been betrayed.

Suddenly, Stern had to issue an apology to NBA fans because Popovich sent his stars home to San Antonio at the end of a long road trip. No one in Miami bought a ticket to watch Tim Duncan and Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, because those players are relevant to no one in Miami. Mostly, they come to watch LeBron and D-Wade, or they don't come at all. Few people watch the Spurs on national television – unless they're playing the Heat or the Los Angeles Lakers – and that's because the Spurs never deliver the dysfunction and self-destructive bents that fuel the sport's storylines.

Stern once declared that his fantasy NBA Finals would be the Lakers vs. the Lakers, and no one laughed in San Antonio because they understood Stern was stone-cold serious. And well, if there was a little "Bleep You" out of Popovich toward Stern after shipping his players back to San Antonio after five games in seven nights, it was beyond understandable.

Back in the Spurs' glory days, it was one disrespectful act after another out of Stern.

The Spurs don't forget how the NBA's vice president of operations, Stu Jackson, directly called Bruce Bowen to warn him about how he was playing defense and threaten him with future punishments. Jackson didn't show the respect of reaching out to Spurs officials before communicating with Bowen, but bypassed them and got into the heads of one of their most important players. Phil Jackson himself couldn't have orchestrated it better on behalf of the Lakers' Western Conference championship chances.

They don't forget how one of Stern's top public-relations officials went out of her way to try to dissuade an NBA team owner from hiring a well-regarded Spurs executive as general manager. And they don't forget that once that executive got the job, she went out of her way to try to undermine his operation.

They don't forget how Stern wanted to infiltrate the inner sanctum of the Spurs with TV cameras and microphones, with the kind of phony, superficial behind-the-scenes access that went against how the franchise conducted its basketball business and kept its edge. The Spurs have been a model of efficiency and innovation that has been an immense resource for the operations of small- and big-market franchises, but the commissioner can't leverage that on TNT with Ernie, Kenny and Charles.

They don't forget how Stern stood by as USA Basketball director Jerry Colangelo publicly embarrassed Popovich. Colangelo went out of his way to insist his close friend Mike Krzyzewski was chosen as Olympic coach because, in part: "I think [Popovich] had a bad taste in his mouth regarding his most recent experiences with USA Basketball, some bitterness, and that came out in my conversation with him. He seemed burned out by it. … He just wasn't as enthusiastic as Mike."

There's a double-standard to how this league operates under Stern, and it won't change until Adam Silver takes over and makes it a priority to do so. When Yahoo! Sports uncovered a pattern of deliberate predraft rules violations that benefited the New York Knicks and penalized the rest of the teams, Stern did little. Brandon Rush blew out his knee in an illegal workout, Wilson Chandler was stashed for weeks in Atlanta so no one else could get access to him before the draft, and Stern fined that Cablevision empire essentially lunch money for a weekend shindig in the Hamptons with the Dolans.

Teams had talked about these violations for years and complained to Jackson's office. Brandon Rush said the NBA had never once contacted him before the Y! Sports' investigation. For two years, the charges went uninvestigated. Had the Spurs been caught doing this, there likely would've been a loss of draft picks, suspensions and millions in fines. And rightly so for the Knicks, Spurs, or anyone who tried to get away with those things. That's the double-standard that Stern runs in the NBA.

In that instance, here's a possible reason for the way the NBA never acted dutifully on its flagship franchise. The scout responsible for running those workouts? Rodney Heard. How did Heard get into the NBA? Jackson, as general manager of the Vancouver Grizzlies, hired him. Rival teams were always suspicious Heard conducted those illicit workouts on the Grizzlies payroll, too. If Rush told me about blowing out his knee as a Kansas undergraduate with the Knicks conducting an illegal workout – and then hiding it – wouldn't he have also told league investigators the same had they pulled him into their Manhattan offices and demanded the truth?

Stern never apologized to the paying public about allowing his franchise with the most resources to get away for years with this behavior. He fined them $200,000, fined Heard $25,000, but never made an example out of them. The Knicks affected competitive balance, and it didn't matter that New York remained horrible. No one gets a lighter sentence for robbing a bank and dropping the money on the way to the getaway car.

Stern doesn't care about the realities of his league, just the appearances. To him, the appearance on Thursday night was that Popovich had tried to embarrass him on national television and that's why the commissioner tossed that tantrum. Apologize to the fans? In a league where the mere appearance of players on the floor doesn't guarantee preparation and effort, the Spurs never cheat the public. They're honest, in a way so few are honest. When too many others wear the uniform and yet still take the night off, the Spurs come to play – or they don't come at all.

In every way, Popovich let his players be the stars. He never self-promoted. He's never done endorsements. Stern wanted a players' league, and Popovich gave him the ultimate players' program. It was team, team, team. Only, Stern couldn't market it. He hated it. Four times they reached the NBA Finals, and Stern didn't like the TV ratings of those series.

For all of his so-called marketing genius, Stern could never sell the global appeal of Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker. They brought the NBA to the corners of the world, glamorized basketball over soccer, and somehow it was Popovich's failure that Stern couldn't market this to people. The NBA failed the Spurs, far more than the Spurs ever failed the NBA. After his fourth championship, I asked Popovich why he never cashed in on all the trappings that come to the immortal coaches.

"Listen," Popovich told me, "it's a player's league. I think it's very important for a coach to make sure that his players believe 100 percent – and not with lip service – that it's about them. Coaches are going to do everything they can to create that environment for them. It's not about creating an environment for us. It's a privilege to be able to coach these guys. We make enough money."

When Pat Riley scored the greatest free-agent coup in NBA history, no one called to congratulate him – except Popovich. This was the kind of power play that should've served to put him out of the championship business in San Antonio, but, still, Popovich admired it. He respected that Riles played to his strengths, Popovich played to his own, and together they would compete for the title. Popovich never tells people that his way would work for them, but it works for him and the Spurs.

Against LeBron James and Dwyane Wade, against Chris Bosh and Ray Allen, what the Spurs did in a 105-100 wasn't an embarrassment to the NBA, but a celebration of it. This is how a franchise ought to be run, how winning is foremost importance. Popovich empowered his bench to hang with the defending champion Heat, and gave his group even greater confidence and belief for when they're called upon again. What happened was one of the most compelling Spurs' regular-season games, and easily the most mesmerizing game of this season.

This was a testament to the Spurs' great scouting and player development, the great coaching and discipline. This was the ultimate testament to the Spurs' way, and it didn't repulse the paying public – it inspired them.

When David Stern issued that belligerent, foreboding statement before tipoff, it was clear he believed the Spurs would get blown out and make his case for him. He never imagined San Antonio would hold the lead into the final minute.

Stern could've waited until Friday, delivered his substantial sanctions – a naval blockade on the Riverwalk, a ban on Napa Valley imports for Popovich, whatever – but he couldn't help himself. He wanted to embarrass Popovich throughout that national TV game, and wouldn't you know it: Popovich embarrassed Stern because the Spurs coach has a complete understanding of his realm, his team, his players, in a way that Stern has lost touch with that with which he lords over.

The emperor of the NBA wasn't standing up for the fan on Thursday night, but settling an old score on his way out of office, on his way to a February 1, 2014, retirement date that suddenly seems so far away. Even within a league that would've never imagined the core of the Spurs dynasty could stay on top longer than the commissioner who wished them away, the expiration date on the emperor still feels so far away. Nevertheless, make no mistake: David Stern wanted these players gone all the way until Thursday night, all the way until they became convenient devices for his failed culture war on the San Antonio Spurs.

timvp
11-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Wow, that was beautiful. Adrian Wojnarowski needs a round of applause. (Speaking of which, be sure you click on that link and refresh it a few times ... he deserves the hits for that article.)

I don't even know what to say ... he said it all :wow

P.S.

Props to Johnny Ludden for also supplying some inside info goods :tu

Spursfanfromafar
11-30-2012, 03:28 PM
As I said on the other thread, this is an ultra-powerful article. It just exposes David Stern for what he really is - a closet Knicks homie who frowns on good governance elsewhere in the league as long as they don't answer the ratings game, but nods and winks at his favorite but wretched franchise's blatant illegalities.

Strong article that basically showed up Stern as an emperor with no clothes. We shall see how this will play out.

Mugen
11-30-2012, 03:30 PM
They don't forget how one of Stern's top public-relations officials went out of her way to try to dissuade an NBA team owner from hiring a well-regarded Spurs executive as general manager. And they don't forget that once that executive got the job, she went out of her way to try to undermine his operation.

When did this happen?

timvp
11-30-2012, 03:32 PM
When did this happen?

The first situation that comes to mind is Dell Demps in New Orleans.

Sa_Spursfan20
11-30-2012, 03:33 PM
That was just fantastic. :toast

Mark in Austin
11-30-2012, 03:34 PM
:toast holy shit that was great. clicking link now...

DPG21920
11-30-2012, 03:34 PM
To be 100% honest, Demps is a terrible GM that made horrific deal with the Lakers. Stern saved that franchise acting as any competent owner would essentially giving that dying franchise a glimmer of hope.

Mugen
11-30-2012, 03:35 PM

Ah that would make sense.

Kori Ellis
11-30-2012, 03:37 PM
WOW!

Obviously that article is full of inside nuggets fed from Ludden to Wojnarowski, but what an awesome article.

Obstructed_View
11-30-2012, 03:37 PM
By the way, everyone that reads this article please click on the link to show woj some love.

Kori Ellis
11-30-2012, 03:38 PM

I think it might be referring to Ferry.

NRHector
11-30-2012, 03:38 PM
By the way, everyone that reads this article please click on the link to show woj some love.

Well done Woj, I already clicked the link

timvp
11-30-2012, 03:39 PM

You're probably right. "Well-respected" fits more with Ferry than Demps.

jeebus
11-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Second to last paragraph was the best part

Obstructed_View
11-30-2012, 03:40 PM
I think Woj wrote the response to "Why are spursfans so butthurt?"

ace3g
11-30-2012, 03:41 PM
I wish Ludden had a twitter

timvp
11-30-2012, 03:41 PM

Yeah, this can't be mentioned enough.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--david-stern-stumbles-again-in-his-failed-culture-war-against-the-spurs-194828970.html

Click. A couple times. On multiple IP addresses if you can :lol

jeebus
11-30-2012, 03:43 PM
Yeah, this can't be mentioned enough.

Click. A couple times. On multiple IP addresses if you can :lol
or retweet him on twitter, share on facebook, etc

ThePop
11-30-2012, 03:43 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-gBOoWjU3wDI/UFdS9Y-9_wI/AAAAAAAADCQ/q-psML1GNqU/s1600/slow-clap-gif.gif

timvp
11-30-2012, 03:44 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-gBOoWjU3wDI/UFdS9Y-9_wI/AAAAAAAADCQ/q-psML1GNqU/s1600/slow-clap-gif.gif

:lol

bthewigwam
11-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Wow. Fantastic read. Clicking away...

spurs10
11-30-2012, 03:51 PM
I am nonplussed! I do indeed applaud Wojnarowski, and consider it one of the most powerful piece I've read about the NBA. Hurray Adrian!! Thank you for telling the truth!

lefty
11-30-2012, 03:53 PM
:tu credit Ace3g for being the 1st to post this article

ace3g
11-30-2012, 03:56 PM
Steve Kerr ‏@SteveKerrTNT (https://twitter.com/SteveKerrTNT) If the NBA punishes the Spurs for sitting players, it opens up a huge can of worms. This is a serious legal challenge for the league.

Steve Kerr ‏@SteveKerrTNT (https://twitter.com/SteveKerrTNT)
The Spurs have done this for years, but not for TNT games vs Miami. Does the new 'sitting' penalty only apply to national TV games?

What about late season games prior to the playoffs? Do those count?

I don't blame Stern for being upset. NBA fans lost out on watching a great matchup. But on what grounds does he penalize Pop?

crc21209
11-30-2012, 03:58 PM
Wow....that article was pure perfection. We as a proud fan base, are damn lucky to have a team with the ownership, coaches, and players that we have. Bravo Woj! (And Ludden as well)

Fabbs
11-30-2012, 03:58 PM
clicking away.

Could you imagine if the Spurs would have completed the upset? :lmao

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Nice. The thing that's jumping out at me the most about the stuff getting written on this incident is that it's clear there were a lot of media who've wanted to drop some heavy accusations at Stern for a while but wanted a chance to do it during the season when the most hoops fans would be paying the most attention. I'd love to puff out my chest and say that the Spurs have really won over so many people over the years but deep down I think they just had the good timing to be the ones Stern was targeting when his gun backfired.

Mugen
11-30-2012, 04:00 PM

If it was Ferry then I think Stern had a point. :lol

Still, Ferry screwing up Cleveland led his marquee player to end up going to a bigger market. Worked out anyways.

Kidd K
11-30-2012, 04:01 PM
Really good read. Not enough people stand up against the crap tactics Stern has been running.

There's a double-standard to how this league operates under Stern, and it won't change until Adam Silver takes over and makes it a priority to do so.

. . .on his way to a February 1, 2014, retirement date that suddenly seems so far away

Couldn't agree more with these comments by Woj. I wish Stern was gone years ago.

timvp
11-30-2012, 04:04 PM
The only scary thing is that Stern may make it his final mission as commissioner to engineer the downfall of the Spurs by any means necessary.

That said, how the hell would Pop have known that out of all things, this would be the event to set Stern off? Pop's been throwing national television games like Mardi Gras beads for damn near a decade now.

crc21209
11-30-2012, 04:07 PM
I'll say this...it will be VERY interesting to see what penalties are handed out against Pop and/or the front office. Not only that, but we should now keep an eye how the Spurs are officiated as well....

RGMCSE
11-30-2012, 04:09 PM
Amazing article! I clicked on the link.

quentin_compson
11-30-2012, 04:10 PM
Wow, that really is a very good and courageous piece of writing. It is stern in tone, but always to the purpose and never hysterical or anything. Woj once again proves he probably is one of the best NBA analysts around.

Zero_Twilight
11-30-2012, 04:11 PM
Wow. Thank you Adrian Wojnarowski. *Applause

Isn't it amazing when something controversial stirs up and the bullshit comes to the surface? You know instantly who is speaking for truth and who is being paid to talk shit. What a beautiful balance. What a "revealing" time we live in.

apalisoc_9
11-30-2012, 04:13 PM
Just posted this on three forums that i usually frequent. Spread the message.

slick'81
11-30-2012, 04:14 PM
fck u stern

UZER
11-30-2012, 04:16 PM
Stern is a Mafia boss....nobody... and i mean nobody....shows him up without paying a penalty. Gotta watch the playoff officiating closely now. I just don't want Duncan on the floor clutching his knee screaming "WHYYYY...WHYYYYY....WHYYYYY!"

I don't like what Pop did for the Spurs team mentality....but I love the big SCREW YOU he gave to Stern. I can understand the reasoning behind it with the schedules of both Miami and SA coming in to the game.

shorttotry
11-30-2012, 04:17 PM
Author will be missing and dead tomorrow most likely. Thanks for the great article!

DesignatedT
11-30-2012, 04:17 PM
What a great read. Awesome article.

Cane
11-30-2012, 04:18 PM
lol @ repeating Stern's retirement date feeling "so far away" in the last paragraph...and it really does too

Damn you Stern

FromWayDowntown
11-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Woj has been on the warpath against Stern. This is the second very negative piece that he's written in the span of about 2-3 months. He's laying out all of the truths, I think, but he's certainly providing the negative counterpoint to any efforts to send Stern out positively.

capek
11-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Woj has been on the warpath against Stern. This is the second very negative piece that he's written in the span of about 2-3 months. He's laying out all of the truths, I think, but he's certainly providing the negative counterpoint to any efforts to send Stern out positively.

Glad somebody is doing it. I don't think there's many people that pay close attention to the NBA that have an overall positive feeling about Stern. Fuck the prick.

FromWayDowntown
11-30-2012, 04:29 PM
Woj's recent tack makes me wonder what he's going to write if there's an officiating controversy next spring.

I suspect that won't be pretty at all.

Clipper Nation
11-30-2012, 04:31 PM

Well, now we know how Stern's Laker$ got Dwight :lol

quentin_compson
11-30-2012, 04:37 PM
I don't like what Pop did for the Spurs team mentality....

I don't get that. A couple of bench players had to play a game that they were going to lose pretty certainly - and they nearly won it. How is that bad for the team mentality?

Cry Havoc
11-30-2012, 04:40 PM
[SIZE=4]For all of his so-called marketing genius, Stern could never sell the global appeal of Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker. They brought the NBA to the corners of the world, glamorized basketball over soccer, and somehow it was Popovich's failure that Stern couldn't market this to people. The NBA failed the Spurs, far more than the Spurs ever failed the NBA. After his fourth championship, I asked Popovich why he never cashed in on all the trappings that come to the immortal coaches.

A billion times, this.

What a perfect encapsulation of why David Stern is one of the most incompetent, arrogant individuals in all of sports.

Kamnik
11-30-2012, 04:40 PM
Great read! Clicking and sharing away...

Cry Havoc
11-30-2012, 04:43 PM
Woj's recent tack makes me wonder what he's going to write if there's an officiating controversy next spring.

I suspect that won't be pretty at all.

It's going to be really fucking interesting if the Spurs stay healthy, the Lakers continue to struggle, bow out early of the playoffs, and suddenly it's OKC minus the player that did so much damage last WCF against San Antonio, who's got a rejuvenated Duncan and another year to gel as a squad. Memphis will undoubtedly be tough too, but they aren't necessarily ready for the WCF, yet. Would be incredible to see an OKC vs Spurs rematch, because this year, I'm not even sure "questionable officiating" would ensure OKC getting to the Finals again, unless it was incredibly transparent.

Stern is honestly probably PRAYING for a Spurs injury right now, because this team is beasting again, and might be better come playoff time than we were last year.

Libri
11-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Sic semper tyrannis.

Emperor Stern and his edicts are not welcomed in SA.

benefactor
11-30-2012, 04:52 PM
Someone needs to do some action to that skater taking a dump gif and make it Sterns picture going by as it hits the ground.

DPG21920
11-30-2012, 04:54 PM
^ Does anyone have that Corey Brewer dunk gif where Stern's face is on Fish's body?

benefactor
11-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Det gif was gold. Can't remember for the life of me which thread it was in.

Arcadian
11-30-2012, 04:57 PM
I clicked the link, refreshed multiple times, and shared on my facebook, thus securing roughly 50-100 more hits.

SenorSpur
11-30-2012, 05:00 PM
A wonderfully-well-wriiten article and another printed home-run by Wojo.

Sheesh, I knew the Commish was a prick, but I didn't know exactly how much - until I read this.

Let's us all marvel and celebrate the Spurs way!

I only wish the Spurs reserves could've pulled out that game versus the Heat. Nothing would've rubbed it in Stern's face more than that!

ace3g
11-30-2012, 05:03 PM
^ Does anyone have that Corey Brewer dunk gif where Stern's face is on Fish's body?

I could only find this:

http://www.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/David-STern-Gif1.gif

Libri
11-30-2012, 05:05 PM
The only scary thing is that Stern may make it his final mission as commissioner to engineer the downfall of the Spurs by any means necessary.

That said, how the hell would Pop have known that out of all things, this would be the event to set Stern off? Pop's been throwing national television games like Mardi Gras beads for damn near a decade now.

He could try but I don't see how he could do anything legally. From what we know, the Spurs have done things right and don't have anything to hide or skeletons in the closet.

Like they say in Spanish, the Spurs "no tienen cola que le pisen."

Splits
11-30-2012, 05:06 PM
And people wonder why Spurs fans think they get jobbed by the refs in the playoffs. Must just be homerism and paranoia.

DPG21920
11-30-2012, 05:08 PM
I could only find this:

:lol Thought it was reversed, would be awesome if someone could put Pop's face on Brewer and Sterns on Fishers

Vic Petro
11-30-2012, 05:10 PM
I could only find this:

:rollin

Trill Clinton
11-30-2012, 05:10 PM
damn i read that entire thing with Nas's instrumental of "Ether" playing.

Old School 44
11-30-2012, 05:12 PM
Great read! It would be fantastic to see Stern hand the championship trophy to Pop at the end of the year.
Although the Spurs wear black and silver, they're not exactly the bad boy Raiders of the NFL, but it does kind of remind me of the Al Davis/Pete Rozelle feud.

Dex
11-30-2012, 05:12 PM
Stern has backed himself into a corner. There is nothing he can do at this point that won't make him look foolish, but the least foolish thing he could probably do is just pretend like he never said anything any hope everything just goes away. A man with the ego of Stern's size, however, would never take that high road.

Still, look at the media backlash already defending the Spurs and Pop, and painting Stern as the villain. And no "substantial sanctions" have even been laid down yet.

If Stern tries to fine or penalize Pop or the Spurs front-office, he will surely see it contested by the Coaches Association, the Players Association, or both. There are no rulings against what the Spurs did, so how can Stern act like they've violated any rule that doesn't even exist? How would that stand up against any kind of appeal?

And as others have mentioned, he will also be shitting in the front-yard of one of his Board of Governors (Holt), one of Player Representatives (Bonner), and one of his Coaches Representatives (Pop).

If Stern tries to change the rules, where does he draw the lines? Do only nationally televised games apply? Or games against playoff opponents? What about late-season games, which have seen this type of behavior for decades? How many minutes must a "healthy" player play, and how does one enforce who is "healthy"? Is he going to demand a doctor's note if a player is given a DNP?

There are just so many can of worms that Stern's bravado can open up here, and he's already ordered a large portion off the menu.

Unfortunately, the only move he can make now that would NOT make him appear the fool would be under-the-table revenge tactics: fucking with the Spurs schedule, convincing some refs to call games badly against the Spurs, etc. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone really believes that is beyond Stern's moral fabric, so maybe we should just hope for a fine and be done with the matter.

Creation88
11-30-2012, 05:14 PM
BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Vic Petro
11-30-2012, 05:15 PM
damn i read that entire thing with Nas's instrumental of "Ether" playing.

:toast

baseline bum
11-30-2012, 05:15 PM
And that is why Woj is the single greatest sportswriter of my lifetime.

ace3g
11-30-2012, 05:17 PM
:lol Thought it was reversed, would be awesome if someone could put Pop's face on Brewer and Sterns on Fishers

what face do you want me to use for Pop?

TDMVPDPOY
11-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Steve Kerr ‏@SteveKerrTNT (https://twitter.com/SteveKerrTNT) If the NBA punishes the Spurs for sitting players, it opens up a huge can of worms. This is a serious legal challenge for the league.

serious challenge for the league? or for stern?

seems like his working out in the best interest for himself then the league...since his a autocratic approach in managing the league me myself and i

MR-Clutch
11-30-2012, 05:20 PM
I didn't know about a lot of the stuff in this article. WOW! what a read, I'm sending it to as many people as I can. The thing that really bothers me though is that it kind of brings my fears about the rigging of refs in playoffs to reality. All those BS calls an non calls in the thunder series were all coming to mind as I read this article. All the BS call against the spurs in the 06 series too. Seriously F stern and his minions.

Blake
11-30-2012, 05:22 PM
Wojo delivering the excellent

mathbzh
11-30-2012, 05:27 PM
How many minutes must a "healthy" player play, and how does one enforce who is "healthy"? Is he going to demand a doctor's note if a player is given a DNP?

Share minutes in proportion with the salaries... problem solved:rolleyes

Libri
11-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Stern can no longer do his little secret war against the Spurs. Everybody is going to be watching him and the Spurs like a hawk.

Dex
11-30-2012, 05:30 PM

Tim Duncan - DNP (stomach virus).....problem solved.

DPG21920
11-30-2012, 05:31 PM
what face do you want me to use for Pop?

http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/13/00/12/2884230/13/628x471.jpg

Dex
11-30-2012, 05:32 PM

Also, no way the league would ever do this. Taken out of this context...that would mean teams like the Spurs (for example) would have to play players like Bonner (for example) substantial minutes just because he has one of the bigger contracts. It would completely change the landscape of not only how coaches hand out minutes, but also how organizations hand out money.

No way the league can control who the coach puts on the floor.

benefactor
11-30-2012, 05:34 PM
http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/13/00/12/2884230/13/628x471.jpg

Perfect.

DPG21920
11-30-2012, 05:35 PM
You know, it just spoke to me.

DBMethos
11-30-2012, 05:36 PM
Fan-fucking-tastic.

Mel_13

I believe that's why the sanctions have yet to be imposed. Whatever he does sets a new precedent and enforcement is going to be next to impossible.

mathbzh
Also, no way the league would ever do this. Taken out of this context...that would mean teams like the Spurs (for example) would have to play players like Bonner (for example) substantial minutes just because he has one of the bigger contracts. It would completely change the landscape of not only how coaches hand out minutes, but also how organizations hand out money.

Did I really need blue?
Of course you can't control who the coach puts on the floor :lol

HI-FI
11-30-2012, 05:38 PM
thanks for posting this, i already emailed it off to some family members who might be interested. They've had to put up with me bitching about the Spurs officiating for quite awhile.

Best article I've read in a long time. Woj is a ballsy dude for laying it out there like that. Reading his article, it was both exhilarating but also disturbing, because it sort of confirms fears you hoped weren't real. Stern is an absolute joke of a commish, I can't believe some on here were saying he was the best sports commish in their lifetimes. Those inside tidbits about the Knicks are bad as well, it shows how if that team wasn't run by complete morons, they'd be just as bad as the Lakers.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Sic semper tyrannis.

Emperor Stern and his edicts are not welcomed in SA.

http://x2d.xanga.com/456f87e069433284200508/b226738565.jpg

Clipper Nation
11-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Btw, it's now undeniable that Stern cheats for the Lakers and Knicks... anyone who denies it is either Lakerfan, Knickfan, or just plain naive....

Dex
11-30-2012, 05:46 PM
Did I really need blue?
Of course you can't control who the coach puts on the floor :lol

:lol Sorry, sometimes the blue helps when I get riled up.

benefactor
11-30-2012, 05:47 PM

Libri
11-30-2012, 05:50 PM

:rollin

DPG21920
11-30-2012, 05:55 PM
Please disregard that youtube video I posted - the video was old

*Edit: Timv:cry deleted the post. Good, now there is no need for tears.

ThaBigFundamental21
11-30-2012, 05:56 PM
WOW, what an awesome article! I can't believe someone finally said it publicly. It's what every Spurs fan has felt for years, yet when brought up it was largely dismissed and everyone rolled their eyes.

Fpoonsie
11-30-2012, 06:03 PM
RT @jadande: The hammer: NBA announces $250,000 fine for Spurs, for...well, you know

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/274649824463314944

Brazil
11-30-2012, 06:11 PM
RT @jadande: The hammer: NBA announces $250,000 fine for Spurs, for...well, you know

250,000 ? wow

Brazil
11-30-2012, 06:11 PM
wojo with the goods per par

Manufan909
11-30-2012, 06:17 PM

Fuck that shit!!! I hope the Spurs fight it somehow.

Bruno
11-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Beautiful article.
If Spurs organization people have leaked all these inside tidbits, they should have a strong resentment against him. I guess they will be happy when Stern will retire. Hopefully Silver, despite being a Stern's product, will be more fair.

TimmehC
11-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Beautiful article.
If Spurs organization people have leaked all these inside tidbits, they should have a strong resentment against him. I guess they will be happy when Stern will retire. Hopefully Silver, despite being a Stern's product, will be more fair.
I don't think it's coincidence that Stern's retirement was announced following the same Board of Governors' meeting that saw Holt elected Chairman. There's some real bad blood there, imo.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Superb article.

The Spurs' benc, and Wojo, just PWNed Stern, exposed his shallow self-aggrandising behaviour.

Vic Petro
11-30-2012, 06:59 PM
Patriots got fined $250K for Spygate. Kobe fined $50K for being caught using homophobic slur on national TV. NFL just fined players $26K for fighting. Take a bow David Stern.

angelbelow
11-30-2012, 07:00 PM
Shared on facebook too.

Shastafarian
11-30-2012, 07:07 PM
http://doubletechnicals.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/293-gregg-popovich-thumbs-up.png?w=580

I think if this had been at the bottom of Woj's article it would've been slightly more perfect.

howbouthemspurs
11-30-2012, 07:21 PM
That article gave me a boner for some reason!

Bill_Brasky
11-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Woj with the greats :worthy:

Yuixafun
11-30-2012, 09:52 PM

Pop made all those moves so he could make this last one.

Checkmate in 4.

JRHernandez88
11-30-2012, 10:11 PM
wow that might be one of the best spurs pieces I've ever read

good stuff good good stuff

ChuckD
11-30-2012, 10:22 PM
The perfect thing about this whole flap-doodle is that it will be Stern's legacy. He's the cranky commish that stayed on way too long, and this nails that point to the wall.

Thanks, David. No one could possibly one up you or show you up like you just did yourself, asshat. Pop has more class in his between toes sock lint than you have ever had.

ShoogarBear
11-30-2012, 10:42 PM
Ha. I came back just to see what the response to this piece was gonna be.

KaiRMD1
11-30-2012, 11:13 PM
He nails it in this article. Woj always brings the goods

Das Texan
12-01-2012, 12:08 AM
Yet the stupid fuck owners don't fire him

phxspurfan
12-01-2012, 12:16 AM
Great article. Clicked and shared. But what does HAM mean?

spursparker9
12-01-2012, 12:48 AM
Prop to woj for writing the article and nba@yahoo for making it headline.

Danny.Zhu
12-01-2012, 03:55 AM
Great read.

TJastal
12-01-2012, 07:35 AM
The perfect thing about this whole flap-doodle is that it will be Stern's legacy. He's the cranky commish that stayed on way too long, and this nails that point to the wall.

Thanks, David. No one could possibly one up you or show you up like you just did yourself, asshat. Pop has more class in his between toes sock lint than you have ever had.

Now that's funny.

Mel_13
12-01-2012, 07:38 AM
Great article. Clicked and shared. But what does HAM mean?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=H.A.M

Mal
12-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Great read.

DMC
12-01-2012, 11:17 AM
250K is a bargain for the fans the Spurs just gained by that move. However, there were probably 130 more people who saw the 4 on SW than wanted to see them in Miami.

DMC
12-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Pop made all those moves so he could make this last one.

Checkmate in 4.
Or it would have been 4 if Stern knew how to play. Mate has occurred.

roycrikside
12-01-2012, 11:57 AM
This article is more proof to what I've been saying. Refs fucked us against OKC and it's gonna be same thing this year. Does anyone expect the Spurs to get a fair shake in the playoffs? Not a chance. Any series against OKC, LAL or LAC will be 5-on-8 and they'll be done. It's rigged. It's wrestling.

If the team wants to win a title, Manu, Tim and Tony should stage a fake fight on center court and pretend to hate each other and argue about wives and girlfriends and shots and minutes for the next four months.

urunobili
12-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Best Spurs related article of the year so far.. :tu

Brazil
12-01-2012, 12:08 PM
another article from the washington post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/wp/2012/11/30/nba-turns-san-antonio-spurs-stunt-into-a-fiasco/

with an interesting quote from Silver

Silver takes over when Stern steps down in February 2014, but he already stated last April that the league would not discipline teams for the practice.
“The strategic resting of particular players on particular nights is within the discretion of the teams,” Silver said then. “And Gregg Popovich in particular is probably the last coach that I would second-guess.”

Brazil
12-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski

[*=left]✔

@WojYahooNBA
Front office executive just texted on Spurs: "Watch, Joey Crawford will do the Memphis game now."

Brazil
12-01-2012, 12:12 PM

Samr.
12-01-2012, 12:23 PM
doing my part:

Samreinhart:

http://tinyurl.com/csz25xs $tern fines Spurs $250k for almost beating a flagship team with scrubs #nbacares #aboutimage #adulttempertantrums

ChuckD
12-01-2012, 12:44 PM
doing my part:

Samreinhart:

http://tinyurl.com/csz25xs $tern fines Spurs $250k for almost beating a flagship team with scrubs #nbacares #aboutimage #adulttempertantrums
You forgot the most important one for an old man: #adultdiapers

CaptainLate
12-01-2012, 02:12 PM
This article is more proof to what I've been saying. Refs fucked us against OKC and it's gonna be same thing this year. Does anyone expect the Spurs to get a fair shake in the playoffs? Not a chance. Any series against OKC, LAL or LAC will be 5-on-8 and they'll be done. It's rigged. It's wrestling.

To show how corrupted it all is, there is not one referee, past or present, who will come forward to expose this multi-billion dollar business. No one has any courage. Society heads faster into hell. Maybe Adrian Woj will be contacted by "Deep Throat" and things can turn around. Probably not...so fans should take comfort in knowing that all will be revealed on Judgment Day.

Darkwaters
12-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Woj is such a great NBA reporter. Yahoo! Sports really is a class act and actually does investigative sports journalism.

MR-Clutch
12-01-2012, 02:58 PM
This can't help our cause http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/12/01/tim-duncan-and-tony-parker-held-guns-to-joey-crawfords-head-on-halloween/

Slomo
12-01-2012, 03:52 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/Slomo/Napoleon_Stern.jpg

Obstructed_View
12-01-2012, 04:05 PM
This can't help our cause http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/12/01/tim-duncan-and-tony-parker-held-guns-to-joey-crawfords-head-on-halloween/

Since you already started a thread with a picture we've all seen, there's not really any need to crosspost. Word to the wise.

SA210
12-01-2012, 05:33 PM
:lmao I don't agree at all with most that Pop did the right thing sending all 4 of those players home, But the bombs everyone is throwing at Stern and the publicity this is getting is frickin awesome!

Spursfan092120
12-01-2012, 05:36 PM
It's not on the front page of Yahoo...

NBA boss's twisted crusade against Spurs (http://hsrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=AjWYwGYtQ_l5RGVx0djngg6bvZx4;_ylu=X3oDMTVmZTl tcGs2BGEDMTIxMTMwIHNwb3J0cyB3b2ogc3Rlcm4gc3B1cnMgd ARjY29kZQNwemJ1ZmNhaDUEY3BvcwMxBGVkAzEEZwNpZC0yODc 1NzU4BGludGwDdXMEaXRjAzAEbWNvZGUDcHpidWFsbGNhaDUEb XBvcwMxBHBrZ3QDMQRwa2d2AzcEcG9zAzIEc2VjA3RkLWZlYQR zbGsDdGl0bGUEdGVzdAM3MDEEd29lAzI0ODgxMjU-/SIG=14bnsc54n/EXP=1354487659/**http%3A//sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--david-stern-stumbles-again-in-his-failed-culture-war-against-the-spurs-194828970.html)David Stern adds a temper tantrum and fine to a long history of disrespecting San Antonio. Wojnarowski column (http://hsrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=AgN21daL93Ow7jsTP.uJF3qbvZx4;_ylu=X3oDMTVlYm1 nbTN2BGEDMTIxMTMwIHNwb3J0cyB3b2ogc3Rlcm4gc3B1cnMgd ARjY29kZQNwemJ1ZmNhaDUEY3BvcwMxBGVkAzEEZwNpZC0yODc 1NzU4BGludGwDdXMEaXRjAzAEbWNvZGUDcHpidWFsbGNhaDUEb XBvcwMxBHBrZ3QDMQRwa2d2AzcEcG9zAzMEc2VjA3RkLWZlYQR zbGsDbW9yZQR0ZXN0AzcwMQR3b2UDMjQ4ODEyNQ--/SIG=14bnsc54n/EXP=1354487659/**http%3A//sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--david-stern-stumbles-again-in-his-failed-culture-war-against-the-spurs-194828970.html)

Related links

Sitting stars was smart (http://hsrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=AnzIhw_yGuE9ntb9MsQGG6ybvZx4;_ylu=X3oDMTVqbHN mMDdzBGEDMTIxMTMwIHNwb3J0cyB3b2ogc3Rlcm4gc3B1cnMgd ARjY29kZQNwemJ1ZmNhaDUEY3BvcwMxBGVkAzEEZwNpZC0yODc 1NzU4BGludGwDdXMEaXRjAzAEbWNvZGUDcHpidWFsbGNhaDUEb XBvcwMxBHBrZ3QDMQRwa2d2AzcEcG9zAzQEc2VjA3RkLWZlYQR zbGsDcmVsLXRpdGxlBHRlc3QDNzAxBHdvZQMyNDg4MTI1/SIG=14flbgasb/EXP=1354487659/**http%3A//sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/david-stern-threatens-san-antonio-spurs-sitting-players-170637381--nba.html)
More on Spurs fine (http://hsrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=AnCxgvAFrkdZUB7kwRv4IQ.bvZx4;_ylu=X3oDMTVqbW9 xZjhjBGEDMTIxMTMwIHNwb3J0cyB3b2ogc3Rlcm4gc3B1cnMgd ARjY29kZQNwemJ1ZmNhaDUEY3BvcwMxBGVkAzEEZwNpZC0yODc 1NzU4BGludGwDdXMEaXRjAzAEbWNvZGUDcHpidWFsbGNhaDUEb XBvcwMxBHBrZ3QDMQRwa2d2AzcEcG9zAzUEc2VjA3RkLWZlYQR zbGsDcmVsLXRpdGxlBHRlc3QDNzAxBHdvZQMyNDg4MTI1/SIG=1331cil3g/EXP=1354487659/**http%3A//sports.yahoo.com/news/spurs-sit-stars-steaming-stern-214150187--nba.html)
Complete NBA coverage (http://hsrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=AnAp9qIyCqvcDbjDfjn9gWabvZx4;_ylu=X3oDMTVqMjV zMjhzBGEDMTIxMTMwIHNwb3J0cyB3b2ogc3Rlcm4gc3B1cnMgd ARjY29kZQNwemJ1ZmNhaDUEY3BvcwMxBGVkAzEEZwNpZC0yODc 1NzU4BGludGwDdXMEaXRjAzAEbWNvZGUDcHpidWFsbGNhaDUEb XBvcwMxBHBrZ3QDMQRwa2d2AzcEcG9zAzYEc2VjA3RkLWZlYQR zbGsDcmVsLXRpdGxlBHRlc3QDNzAxBHdvZQMyNDg4MTI1/SIG=11gql2bk6/EXP=1354487659/**http%3A//sports.yahoo.com/nba/)

milkyway21
12-01-2012, 05:56 PM
:wow :wakeup I'm really proud to be a Spurs fan you know...

superbigtime
12-04-2012, 12:49 PM
Holy shit that gave me goosebumps. I can't wait for that little imp Stern to be gone. My loathing of that crook is snowballing.

boutons_deux
12-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Stern will certainly leave with $10Ms if not $100Ms in NBA wealth, much sucked from what the millionaire players gave up when they lost the CBA war with the billionaire owners.

Manufan909
12-04-2012, 02:29 PM
250K is a bargain for the fans the Spurs just gained by that move. However, there were probably 130 more people who saw the 4 on SW than wanted to see them in Miami.

Airlines?

DMC
12-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Airlines?

So it's reported.

PÒÓCH
12-04-2012, 09:16 PM
http://i.imgur.com/jATyt.gif https://themoviejudge.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/obama-clapping.gif http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-cqSm8ejGLhw/TzO2coJSWEI/AAAAAAAAAtw/m1eMEaN88ec/s200/john-stewart-clapping.gif

temujin
12-05-2012, 05:43 AM
Agree on the specific issue.

Obviously disagree on Stern as the Emperor of a the Historic Crusade Agaisnt the Spurs and their Holy System.

Stern would have sent his Joey Crawfords and Bill Kennedys like he did in the 2012 WCF, and the Spurs would have zero titles.
If the Spurs have 4 titles it's because Stern did not object. Actually, he even eliminated Crawford from the 2007 PO.
Plain and simple.
Stern is just reinforcing the idea that the Spurs will have no more titles. In case nobody noticed Bill Kennedy and Joey Crawford (or the Refs of G5, who were less spectacular, but even more scientifically efficient).
Stern has a lot of other "natural friends" to feed, after the Dallas an Miami owners.