PDA

View Full Version : Cory Joseph Re-Assigned to Toros

ace3g
12-01-2012, 01:03 PM
San Antonio Spurs ‏@spurs (https://twitter.com/spurs) [Press release] http://j.mp/Vbt7KT (http://t.co/H18czrFq) Cory Joseph Re-Assigned to @austintoros (https://twitter.com/austintoros)

polandprzem
12-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Was it Stern approved?

People wants to see NBA players playing in NBA !

Manu-20
12-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Well this is intresting didn't expect this till Kawhi got back.

ChuckD
12-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Well this is intresting didn't expect this till Kawhi got back.
Maybe he is? Spurs don't announce things like that, because they don't have to. We'll know tonight, in any case.

Libri
12-01-2012, 01:11 PM
He's not expected to play tonight, so it's good to send him back to get some burn. Toros have a back to back and the Spurs next game, after Memphis, is Wednesday.

mexpurs21
12-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Canadian fans are gonna be so pissed, they paid big bucks to see Cory Joseph, we should expect a big fine

Bruno
12-01-2012, 01:34 PM
It's somewhat logical given that Kawhi should be back very soon. Another reason of that move is that James Anderson looked very good against Miami. Spurs initial plan with JA should have been to waive him as soon as Kawhi is back. Give his performances, they might want to keep him a little longer to have a closer look at him. When Jack will be back, it will be time for Spurs to assess if they want to keep him for the year.

Boomersgold
12-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Called it.

Joseph's not that bad at everything (passing, shooting, ball-handling), but none of his skills are NBA-ready.

timvp
12-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Called it.

?

Everyone knew CJ was going back to Austin.

Boomersgold
12-01-2012, 01:47 PM
?

Everyone knew CJ was going back to Austin.

Well, then everyone 'called it'. I doubt he would've got called back if the Spurs hadn't signed JA.

jiggy_55
12-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Kawhi back? He did say he was targeting the Memphis game. If not tonight I expect him to be back the next game.

smaka
12-01-2012, 02:11 PM
I think this only means one thing... Welcome back Kawhi :D

wildbill2u
12-01-2012, 02:28 PM
It's somewhat logical given that Kawhi should be back very soon. Another reason of that move is that James Anderson looked very good against Miami. Spurs initial plan with JA should have been to waive him as soon as Kawhi is back. Give his performances, they might want to keep him a little longer to have a closer look at him. When Jack will be back, it will be time for Spurs to assess if they want to keep him for the year.

When Joseph didn't get much time and was behind other PG backups off the bench when the Spurs were shorthanded against Miami, it should have been clear to everyone that the coaches simply don't think he's ready to be competitive in the NBA at this time.

playblair
12-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Patrick mills is a horrible pg .... its proven mills can not pass ..... cojo has all the tolls to be come a legit pg let him develop ... not to mention cojo is on the verge of becoming an elite pg defender .....

Boomersgold
12-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Patrick mills is a horrible pg .... its proven mills can not pass ..... cojo has all the tolls to be come a legit pg let him develop ... not to mention cojo is on the verge of becoming an elite pg defender .....

Thanks for stating something that we all already know. When Patty's on, he's not the playmaker. Pop usually plays him with Manu and lets Manu be the play maker. Mills is expected to score when he's on the court, as evidenced by his 10+ points per game in ~15 minutes of playing time last season. He's a SCORING point guard, like Derrick Rose (not that I'm saying that Mills is near as good as Rose), not a pass-first point guard like De Colo or Rondo.

Obstructed_View
12-01-2012, 02:47 PM
Called it.

Joseph's not that bad at everything (passing, shooting, ball-handling), but none of his skills are NBA-ready.

:lol Yeah you're amazing. Nobody knew CJ was going to be in Austin for playing time.

Darkwaters
12-01-2012, 02:51 PM
I think we're all missing the point. This has nothing to do with the Spurs. The Toros are the reigning NBDL Champions and we need to ensure that they repeat.

Back-to-back!

ChumpDumper
12-01-2012, 07:33 PM
He didn't play in the last two games of the Finals, but I suppose Cory will be getting a ring tonight in Austin.

Mel_13
12-17-2012, 01:56 PM
In other other news, Spurs planning to send Cory Joseph back down to Austin, just to get some minutes.

https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN

Bruno
12-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Cory scored 30 points for his first D-league game of this new stint:
http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20121218/TEXAUS/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021200069

ChumpDumper
12-18-2012, 05:53 PM
Didn't see much of it, but he did hit a dagger three that broke the game open late. The Toros have good guards and a really good three big man rotation.

Bruno
01-04-2013, 09:59 AM
I watched Toros last game and, even if Joseph isn't dominating, I definitively really like the way he plays. He is very good defender and ballhandler. I think he would be a terrific fit with Spurs second unit. I'm rooting for him to get a shot at the backup PG.

On a side note, Wilkerson was solid with a terrific first quarter and he could be worth a 10 days contract. I also got the feeling that Toros had zero team spirit and didn't care about winning games.

TrainOfThought5
01-04-2013, 10:04 AM
I watched Toros last game and, even if Joseph isn't dominating, I definitively really like the way he plays. He is very good defender and ballhandler. I think he would be a terrific fit with Spurs second unit. I'm rooting for him to get a shot at the backup PG.

On a side note, Wilkerson was solid with a terrific first quarter and he could be worth a 10 days contract. I also got the feeling that Toros had zero team spirit and didn't care about winning games.

zero team spirit?? dont care about winning games?? why?

DapDaGenius
01-04-2013, 10:10 AM

Thank you, I've been saying this about Wilkerson for the longest, now that Jackson is hurt again, they really should call him up.

I'm also curious why you say you fell they have 0 team spirit...

CubanMustGo
01-04-2013, 10:10 AM
I went to a game earlier in the season - it did seem like they were just going through the motions at times. The new coach also didn't impress; the Toros gave up double digit leads a couple of times in the blink of an eyelid and the guy didn't really seem to have any answers. CJ should be head and shoulders above most of the talent in the D-League but doesn't seem fully engaged.

Bruno
01-04-2013, 10:37 AM
zero team spirit?? dont care about winning games?? why?

I don't know why but that's the feeling I got watching them. Some players weren't trying hard and there were little interactions between players. I just saw no group cohesiveness which wasn't the case in previous years with the Toros.

Thank you, I've been saying this about Wilkerson for the longest, now that Jackson is hurt again, they really should call him up.

From what I've seen of him, Wilkerson is a PF. He might get a shot with Spurs if Spurs do some trades featuring Blair and/or Bonner or if Blair is definitively unable to play.

phxspurfan
01-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Who has averaged 30 a game in the D League and not been an NBA contributor/NBA ready?

Bruno
01-14-2013, 05:16 AM
Joseph score 30 and 27 points in b2b wins against Mavs D-League team. With 20.7 ppg, he is the 5th best D-League scorer among players that have played a significant number of games. For a player that struggles to score with Spurs, it's nice to see him doing it at the lower level.

I'm warming more and more at the "Free Cory" idea.

Chinook
01-14-2013, 05:20 AM
Joseph score 30 and 27 points in b2b wins against Mavs D-League team. With 20.7 ppg, he is the 5th best D-League scorer among players that have played a significant number of games. For a player that struggles to score with Spurs, it's nice to see him doing it at the lower level.

I'm warming more and more at the "Free Cory" idea.

How does he look at running the offense? I think that's the biggest thing to worry about, especially with Manu out. He should totally get a chance to play, though.

capek
01-14-2013, 06:07 AM
Anyone else kind of amazed at the glut of really interesting guard prospects this team has now? I mainly wish that Pop would give more time to De Colo to play through some of these Rookie jitters. And yet I've really liked what I've seen from CoJo in his limited minutes. He's almost a different player from last year, and it's great to see he's playing so well in the D-League. Until Mills' latest, which has surprised and impressed me, I had been wishing they'd give CoJo his minutes. Now I think it's just better that he stays in the D-League the rest of the year, barring any emergencies. Let him tear it up down there, and keep improving how he obviously did in the off season, by playing basketball. Not living on planes and in hotels rooms, and sitting on the bench after shooting around for maybe an hour.

Personally I think Pop is right to go to Patty here, even over De Colo. The Olympics were the peak (so far) of Patty's career. You have to see if he can recapture that magic this season to not let those memories fade. I imagine Pop said something like that to him, told him this is his chance to grab the back up spot. So far he's convinced me enough that I want to see more. So unless you want to sit Neal down beside De Colo, which after seeing him tonight in his normal SG position I'm sure you don't, I think CoJo's already in the best place he can be. But I think we'll reap some pretty good rewards next year.

Captivus
01-14-2013, 10:55 AM
I think CJ needs more opportunities. I really like him.
For some reason I get a DJ Augustin feeling when i look at him. (dont know if thats good or bad).

ace3g
02-28-2013, 03:06 PM
San Antonio Spurs ‏@spurs (https://twitter.com/spurs) [Press release] Joseph recalled and Baynes assigned to @austintoros (https://twitter.com/austintoros): http://j.mp/Z0wAxY (http://t.co/5MdiSPAMRO)

Does CJ get a chance at back up PG?

DesignatedT
02-28-2013, 03:11 PM
CoJo time.