PDA

View Full Version : Spurs choosing to ignore Popgate...

ChuckD
12-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Not even a mention of it, let alone a discussion during the pre-game. The muzzles are on. It never happened.

JRHernandez88
12-01-2012, 08:47 PM
What you talkin bout???? I never saw nothin... :reading

timvp
12-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Gag order.

I guess this is when it pays off for Pop and the Spurs to have control of the local media. Nothing will get out that the Spurs don't want to get out.

Bruno
12-01-2012, 08:56 PM
IIRC, it's not obligatory for the NBA to make public their fines to owners/franchise.

I can see Spurs having appealed the fine and reached an agreement with Stern: "The fine is canceled but in exchange we shut our mouths about it and we stop with resting top players for nationally televised games." It would be a win/win scenario for everybody: Stern end up with the apparent victory and no controversy, Spurs end up with no fine.

ChuckD
12-01-2012, 09:42 PM
IIRC, it's not obligatory for the NBA to make public their fines to owners/franchise.

I can see Spurs having appealed the fine and reached an agreement with Stern: "The fine is canceled but in exchange we shut our mouths about it and we stop with resting top players for nationally televised games." It would be a win/win scenario for everybody: Stern end up with the apparent victory and no controversy, Spurs end up with no fine.

I would grant your position if Pop didn't have a measured response himself on mysa.com

benefactor
12-01-2012, 09:54 PM
I would grant your position if Pop didn't have a measured response himself on mysa.com
Yup...Pop basically said the league is about money and he is about basketball. Doesn't sound like "shutting our mouths" to me.

howbouthemspurs
12-01-2012, 10:05 PM

howbouthemspurs
12-01-2012, 10:07 PM

ChuckD
12-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Yup...Pop basically said the league is about money and he is about basketball. Doesn't sound like "shutting our mouths" to me.

No one else even mentioned it though. It's as if Pop said, "I got this. Everyone else STFU".

timvp
12-02-2012, 12:12 AM
What's weird is Elliott and Land didn't even mention the Heat game. There was no talk about how close the reserves were to winning that game. It was like Spurs vs. Heat never existed.

racm
12-02-2012, 12:33 AM
What's weird is Elliott and Land didn't even mention the Heat game. There was no talk about how close the reserves were to winning that game. It was like Spurs vs. Heat never existed.

As far as the organization is concerned this is an 81 game season.

Legacy
12-02-2012, 01:25 AM
No one else even mentioned it though. It's as if Pop said, "I got this. Everyone else STFU".

He most likely did just that. It was his decision afterall... and as usual the majority will STFU and color. Simple as that.

Danny.Zhu
12-02-2012, 01:41 AM

wow

Trainwreck2100
12-02-2012, 01:47 AM
Interesting that Pop talked to the league before the league gave the Spurs the fine

TDMVPDPOY
12-02-2012, 01:52 AM
should use the ammendments in the US constitution freedom of speech fagots...

ElNono
12-02-2012, 02:42 AM
I figured it would be like this. I'm sure Holt felt the $250K squeeze and there's nothing the Spurs can do about it. The message is loud and clear: you don't fuck with Stern.

So the Spurs learned the lesson and move on.

Cane
12-02-2012, 02:46 AM
Sean and Bill talked about how the bench should have confidence from the Heat game IIRC, or some shit like that. I think it was during the more desperate moments when Patty and DeColo were being put on the floor?

But yea for 99% of the time it was like they were in Popovich's circle of trust like the CIA Focker father

Manufan909
12-02-2012, 02:50 AM
As far as the organization is concerned this is an 81 game season.

But of course.:toast

rascal
12-02-2012, 10:59 AM

Give it up. The Spurs got fined. Stern doesn't have to reach any type of agreement. Being a tight $ ship the Spurs will not be sitting their players in the future. If the Spurs pull off sitting their players again the fine will be even greater.

Bartleby
12-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Give it up. The Spurs got fined. Stern doesn't have to reach any type of agreement. Being a tight $ ship the Spurs will not be sitting their players in the future. If the Spurs pull off sitting their players again the fine will be even greater.

Pop can just put his starters on the floor for the opening tip and sit them for the rest of the game. Stern will have to either shut the fuck up or put himself in the position of telling teams how many minutes they must play their starters.

kobyz
12-02-2012, 12:43 PM

:td this scenario still very bad, it still make the Spurs Stern's bitches, that is letting Stern interfere Spurs coaching and sabotage their own plans for no right or reason... i can't belive how a lot of you take this case in compromise, forgiveness and sycophancy manner with such dictatorial and criminal behavior from Stern side.
it's similar but much worst than that case when the Spurs didn't fight back the decision of letting Joey Crawford to continue refereeing them after what happened despite the fact that they had all the judicial rights and privileges to force him out of their games and even out of the league at all. and we know that not realize those rights came back to hurt Spurs in their ass over and over again.

Bruno
12-02-2012, 01:08 PM

I don't think Pop/Spurs could have smother this story without a single comment. He basically made a two sentences measured response that end up with "That’s that, and we move on.”. Spurs are really letting it go. I could be of course because they are scared of Stern and additional sanctions but it could be too because they have negotiated an arragement with Stern.

silverblackfan
12-02-2012, 02:11 PM
I at least would hope that the $250K would give us a down payment on Sterns Ref calls in the post season.

Too much to hope for? ;)