PDA

View Full Version : David Stern to fine the Spurs an additional $500,000

timvp
12-01-2012, 11:17 PM
. . . for the grand larceny that took place in the AT&T Center against the Grizzlies on Saturday night.

:smokin

Trainwreck2100
12-01-2012, 11:18 PM
Vegas getting the money back that they lost on thursday

Mugen
12-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Holt should put down a $5 million down payment for da playoffs if we can get some of those calls we got tonight, tbh.

Warlord23
12-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Can we finally stop pretending that last season's 4-0 regular season against the Grizz means anything? With a healthy Randolph, they are a nightmare matchup for the Spurs. They're excellent at getting back on transition D, closing out on shooters and playing the passing lanes. The Spurs' poor 3-point shooting tonight was not a fluke; this is what happens when a contender makes it a point to deny the 3.

Trainwreck2100
12-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Can we finally stop pretending that last season's 4-0 regular season against the Grizz means anything? With a healthy Randolph, they are a nightmare matchup for the Spurs. They're excellent at getting back on transition D, closing out on shooters and playing the passing lanes. The Spurs' poor 3-point shooting tonight was not a fluke; this is what happens when a contender makes it a point to deny the 3.

Except they were missing wide open 3s

Mal
12-01-2012, 11:21 PM
b..b..b..but Spurs gave Stern additional 5 minutes of basketball, that should count as 50k $

spectator
12-01-2012, 11:23 PM
let's not forget that we were without 2 SFs; that should help up get more DREBs

milkyway21
12-01-2012, 11:25 PM
. . . for the grand larceny that took place in the AT&T Center against the Grizzlies on Saturday night.

:smokin

awesome!!!!! :flag:

ChuckD
12-01-2012, 11:25 PM

Uh, we won. We also didn't have Kawhi, who usually shuts down Gay completely.

Warlord23
12-01-2012, 11:28 PM
Except they were missing wide open 3s

They shot horribly overall. Yes there were open looks in the first half that didn't go down, but nothing came easy in the second. If Duncan didn't come through with an MVP performance this would have been embarrassing. It'll be interesting to play them at Memphis when neither team is on a b2b.

jestersmash
12-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Vegas getting the money back that they lost on thursday

If by "Vegas" you mean the main line, then nah. Vegas lost on both nights. Spurs covered the spread on Thursday (Miami -13), and Memphis covered the spread tonight (Spurs -6).

Trainwreck2100
12-01-2012, 11:32 PM
If by "Vegas" you mean the main line, then nah. Vegas lost on both nights. Spurs covered the spread on Thursday (Miami -13), and Memphis covered the spread tonight (Spurs -6).

Just the way they wanted it.

hater
12-01-2012, 11:32 PM
um, we beat the Grizz without Kawai and Jackson. Take the win and enjoy it at least for a day :rolleyes

Agloco
12-01-2012, 11:38 PM
um, we beat the Grizz without Kawai and Jackson. Take the win and enjoy it at least for a day :rolleyes

I don't recall seeing Green either, at least from the mid point of the third quarter on.

Kidd K
12-01-2012, 11:40 PM
They shot horribly overall. Yes there were open looks in the first half that didn't go down, but nothing came easy in the second. If Duncan didn't come through with an MVP performance this would have been embarrassing. It'll be interesting to play them at Memphis when neither team is on a b2b.

We shot like crap pretty much all night until the 4th quarter, and both of our SFs were out. Not to mention Green had to leave early with hamstring tightness.

Grizzlies were 100%.

It'll be more interesting to play them when we're also 100% too.

Obstructed_View
12-01-2012, 11:41 PM

Vegas always wins.

JRHernandez88
12-01-2012, 11:41 PM
oh shit i thought that was foreal ha

Sean Cagney
12-01-2012, 11:45 PM
We shot like crap pretty much all night until the 4th quarter, and both of our SFs were out. Not to mention Green had to leave early with hamstring tightness.

Grizzlies were 100%.

It'll be more interesting to play them when we're also 100% too.Yep too early to tell, lets see later on in the year when they meet and are 100%! I hope they both are 100% that is.

Ice009
12-01-2012, 11:53 PM

Grizzlies were 100%.

Tony Allen didn't play and he is a tough, tough defender.

milkyway21
12-01-2012, 11:54 PM
Green had to leave for hamstring problem, I think

GritandGrind
12-01-2012, 11:54 PM

Grizzlies were 100%.

It'll be more interesting to play them when we're also 100% too.Griz are not at 100% Tony Allen and Tony Wroten the top two SGs miss the game.Playing Bayless at the 2 is not a smart move.

Still is not a excuse Spurs clearly won the game.

jestersmash
12-01-2012, 11:56 PM
Tony Allen didn't play and he is a tough, tough defender.

Manu played tonight as if he was shut down by Tony Allen anyway, tbh.

timvp
12-01-2012, 11:56 PM

I said all year last season that the Grizzlies were overrated. They just never looked right.

This year is a different story. They look pretty damn legit.

Budkin
12-01-2012, 11:58 PM
Grizz fans must be in full on meltdown mode right now. Very satisfying win.

Kidd K
12-02-2012, 12:01 AM
Griz are not at 100% Tony Allen and Tony Wroten the top two SGs miss the game.Playing Bayless at the 2 is not a smart move.

Wroten's not that great, Allen's a'ight but we didn't have Leonard and Stephen Jackson, then no Green.

But I guess they weren't at 100%, just 92% vs our 84% and extra fatigue.

Baseline
12-02-2012, 01:07 AM
We also didn't have Kawhi, who usually shuts down Gay completely.

Whoa. Shutting down gay will get us an even stiffer fine.

Splits
12-02-2012, 01:25 AM
Griz are not at 100% Tony Allen and Tony Wroten the top two SGs miss the game.Playing Bayless at the 2 is not a smart move.

LOL Wroten is in the D-league, not injured.

crc21209
12-02-2012, 03:11 AM
Unfortunately the Grizzlies do look for real. But I still wanna see us at 100% with Kawhi and Jack until I can fully judge how we match up against them...

JRHernandez88
12-02-2012, 03:16 AM
Ya and don't forget Tony Allen on their side... He's a difference maker as well.

12-02-2012, 03:33 AM
if the playoffs started tomorrow, it would probably be a heat vs grizzlies finals. with tony allen back, they will be pretty damn good. you have to respect the discipline hollins instills in that team, turning a bunch of knuckleheads into an efficient machine both on offense and defense. luckily, they have an entire season to screw things up.

racm
12-02-2012, 03:45 AM
I said all year last season that the Grizzlies were overrated. They just never looked right.

This year is a different story. They look pretty damn legit.

One issue I see with the Grizzlies is that they're so used to making big leads that they don't have the opportunity to execute in close situations. On the other hand the Spurs have had fewer blowout wins and are therefore better suited to making plays in crunch time.

If the Grizz want to win it all they can't afford to step off the gas.

letmk
12-02-2012, 03:51 AM
One issue I see with the Grizzlies is that they're so used to making big leads that they don't have the opportunity to execute in close situations. On the other hand the Spurs have had fewer blowout wins and are therefore better suited to making plays in crunch time.

Their problem is that Gasol is their best player, but down the stretch, they go to Conley and Gay by default.

Roger Freemason Jr.
12-02-2012, 04:27 AM
I don't see enough love in this thread for the dunk TD had on Baby Gasol. Now that was not a humble dunk, Duncan showed passion and aggression after he did it.

spurspokesman
12-02-2012, 04:46 AM
Grizz are for real. Nicewin

Ice009
12-02-2012, 05:48 AM
Ya and don't forget Tony Allen on their side... He's a difference maker as well.

I don't mind Allen out there on offense taking jump shots, that can sometimes be great for the opponent, but on the defensive end he is a top 3 player when healthy, so yes, he does make a difference for them.

JRHernandez88
12-02-2012, 06:22 AM
I don't mind Allen out there on offense taking jump shots, that can sometimes be great for the opponent, but on the defensive end he is a top 3 player when healthy, so yes, he does make a difference for them.
True, I'd be glad to have him getting ANY touches on offense.

spurraider21
12-02-2012, 08:39 AM
I'm hearing about Tony Allen will make a difference... its not like our wings were lighting them up today. We couldn't buy a bucket from our wings. And its not like Allen will contribute much on offense

ManuTastic
12-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Lucky win, tbh. In the OT the refs gave us 3 breaks: the tip-off ball that went off Manu's leg but they gave it to us anyway; the hail mary ball off Gay's fingertips after Manu grabbed his arm; and one more that slips my mind now. Without those it's probably a tie game with 10 secs, or very likely Memphis up by one or two.
Props for battling back in the fourth, and PTL for ZBo missing all those easy shots.

ManuTastic
12-02-2012, 09:11 AM
I like Memphis b/c they're a tough-minded, grind it out team. A lot like SA in the old days, really. But also like the old Spurs, they can go through long stretches where they can't buy a bucket, because they don't have that one smoove scorer who just lives to hit huge shots, like Neal or Ray Allen or Terry, etc. (Not that Neal's in that league, but you know the type.)
Of course, those free-flinging shooters don't tend to play gritty D, so maybe there's a connection...

Blackjack
12-02-2012, 09:47 AM
On the topic of disservice to basketball, and ensuing fines, Westbrook's wallet has to be on the verge of getting light.

Tony passes the ball to Manu more.

Poor KD. Poor, poor fans . . .

benstanfield
12-02-2012, 10:31 AM

Grizzlies were 100%.

:downspin:spurfans bitch about schedulers for 2 days
:downspin:rejoice at win over grizzlies
:downspin:their 4th game in 6 days
:downspin:2nd night of a b2b
:downspin:nobody gives a shit

:hatlitmus test, beat the most formidable team in the league
:hatbesides the heat

rascal
12-02-2012, 10:38 AM

Good post. The schedule pretty much evens out over the course of the season. The Spurs will be well rested at times and take on teams coming in on backs to backs.

polandprzem
12-02-2012, 10:47 AM

:D

When they put Gasol on the bench with 4 fouls I was like - hmm I'd rather keep him and put the spurs away.
Well godd for us Spurs fought hard and came back.

Kidd K
12-02-2012, 11:06 AM

You're a Spursfan, so saying "spurfan" isn't exactly a zinger.

Of course we're happy about a win over the Grizzlies. Should we be pissed, disappointed, or angry?

Their 4th game in 8 days, their 5th game in 12 days (all home games until Spurs). vs Spurs' 5th game in 7 days, 6th in 9, 7th in 11, 8th in 13. All road games until the Grizzlies game. Their first road game in 2 weeks after a big, restful home game stretch. But oh no, they played the Pissed-Ons the night before, so that erases all the other facts, right? What a tough schedule.

So yes, no one does give a shit because our recent schedule has been tougher. Spin it all you want, just include all the facts next time.

McGusto55
12-02-2012, 11:13 AM
Shit thought you were forreal....

McGusto55
12-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Unfortunately the Grizzlies do look for real. But I still wanna see us at 100% with Kawhi and Jack until I can fully judge how we match up against them... Oh grizz are legit...there gonna be a Big problem down t:toasthe roa:toastd.....bet on that

phxspurfan
12-02-2012, 11:46 AM
I recorded the game last night so didn't see the larceny just yet. But I think as Marc Gasol goes, goes the Grizz. He is playing really well this year and makes their front line imposing to any team. I'm glad we got a win against them, since we'll probably have to go through them or the Thunder in the playoffs.

benstanfield
12-02-2012, 05:37 PM
You're a Spursfan, so saying "spurfan" isn't exactly a zinger.

Of course we're happy about a win over the Grizzlies. Should we be pissed, disappointed, or angry?

Their 4th game in 8 days, their 5th game in 12 days (all home games until Spurs). vs Spurs' 5th game in 7 days, 6th in 9, 7th in 11, 8th in 13. All road games until the Grizzlies game. Their first road game in 2 weeks after a big, restful home game stretch. But oh no, they played the Pissed-Ons the night before, so that erases all the other facts, right? What a tough schedule.

So yes, no one does give a shit because our recent schedule has been tougher. Spin it all you want, just include all the facts next time.

:downspin:Counts their X games in X days starting with 2 days off
:downspin:I'm "spinning facts"
:downspin:Misses the obvious point that people bitch about the schedule except when the Spurs can benefit from it
:downspin:"Of course we're happy about a win over the Grizzlies. Should we be pissed, disappointed, or angry?"
:downspin:Strawman comprehension fail
:downspin:"our recent schedule has been tougher"
:downspin:We sent the Toros to play a game
:downspin:I'm trying to "zing" you because I post with reply
:downspin:retard

Kidd K
12-02-2012, 08:02 PM
:downspin:Counts their X games in X days starting with 2 days off
:downspin:I'm "spinning facts"
:downspin:Misses the obvious point that people bitch about the schedule except when the Spurs can benefit from it
:downspin:"Of course we're happy about a win over the Grizzlies. Should we be pissed, disappointed, or angry?"
:downspin:Strawman comprehension fail
:downspin:"our recent schedule has been tougher"
:downspin:We sent the Toros to play a game
:downspin:I'm trying to "zing" you because I post with reply
:downspin:retard

Using emotes before every sentence doesn't actually make your points any better.

Obviously no one bitches about when the schedule benefits them, because there'd be no point in that.

You obviously don't know what a strawman argument is, since I didn't change any of the wording in your "points". Logic fail. Congratz.

Our recent schedule has been tougher than the Grizzlies'. I counted their games with the days off because we're looking back further than just a few days. They've had plenty of days off recently and no recent b2bs until our game.

You were trying to "zing" me by using the term "Spurfan", not by replying to my post. I specifically indicated that. Speaking of reading comprehension failure. . . that's a pretty embarrassing comprehension failure on your part.

Ice009
12-02-2012, 10:24 PM
I like Memphis b/c they're a tough-minded, grind it out team. A lot like SA in the old days, really. But also like the old Spurs, they can go through long stretches where they can't buy a bucket, because they don't have that one smoove scorer who just lives to hit huge shots, like Neal or Ray Allen or Terry, etc. (Not that Neal's in that league, but you know the type.)
Of course, those free-flinging shooters don't tend to play gritty D, so maybe there's a connection...

Yeah Memphis play the way the Spurs used to play and the way I kind of still want the Spurs to play. That's the kind of basketball I like. Tough defense, physical play and just keep grinding it out.

I'm pretty sure Hollins wrote an article back in 2003 about the Spurs defense. He broke it down and explained it. I'm sure it was him, I could be wrong, but I think it was him. I was trying to find it a year or so ago, but can't seem to find it anymore. It seems that he's taken some stuff from those early Spurs teams and incorporated that into the Grizzlies.