PDA

View Full Version : Cuban: Fine on Spurs 'absolutely' OK

nbaman99
12-01-2012, 11:28 PM
DALLAS -- Mark Cuban believes the NBA was "absolutely" right to heavily fine the San Antonio Spurs because the Dallas Mavericks' owner considers protecting relationships with national television partners one of the league's top priorities.

Commissioner David Stern fined the Spurs $250,000 after coach Gregg Popovich opted to rest four players, including stars Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker, for Thursday's game against the Miami Heat. The game, televised on TNT, was the Spurs' fourth in five nigh

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/8699650/dallas-mavericks-owner-mark-cuban-ok-san-antonio-spurs-fine-higher

Obstructed_View
12-01-2012, 11:30 PM
From the man who sends in tapes "in the best interest of the game", but only when the other team benefits from the bad calls.

Sean Cagney
12-01-2012, 11:35 PM
FUCK CUBAN.

NRHector
12-01-2012, 11:38 PM
were you all expecting something different from that piece of shit?

ChuckD
12-01-2012, 11:42 PM
were you all expecting something different from that piece of shit?

ffadicted
12-01-2012, 11:42 PM
this really should come to no one's surprise

Drz
12-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Have you guys read the article? Cuban makes many good points and is the first guy I've seen today to actually provide a new viewpoint.

"Look, I respect the Spurs," Cuban said. "Pop is the best coach in the league. I understand why he did it. I might even take the fine if it was us, but I understand why the league (fined the Spurs)."

"We're still a business," said Cuban, whose fine totals from his 13-year ownership tenure are well into seven figures. "Resting the stars for the long haul one game earlier, one game later, sure. Resting when you've got our biggest customer at stake, that's a whole different animal. I'm not saying the Mavs wouldn't have done the same thing, but I realize that it'd be a fineable offense."

"It's just as stupid to put a team in their fourth game in five nights on national television," Cuban said. "That's just as dumb. You're not going to get as good of a performance, and that's what you want to show."

"So I guess you can make the counter-argument that even though the Spurs did what they did, the league was just as guilty for putting them in that position, which was pretty stupid."

timvp
12-01-2012, 11:44 PM
If you listen to the whole interview, Cuban basically talks himself out of agreeing with Stern by the end of his spiel.

Edit: Too slow.

Darius Bieber
12-01-2012, 11:47 PM
:lol Cuban
:lol Mavs

racm
12-01-2012, 11:50 PM
:lol Mavs
:lol signing TOSBs because their young PG was crap
:lol Cuban salty because Pop outtrolled him
:lol one and done

spurspokesman
12-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Nothing new. Anything to spite the spurs,ditto stern.

Obstructed_View
12-01-2012, 11:59 PM
Having to write a big check to Michael Finley after he got a ring with the Spurs still has to sting tbh...

milkyway21
12-02-2012, 12:01 AM
on other interview he said something positive for Pop's decision.

"The unprecedented fine announced Friday overshadowed the first meeting this season between two of the West's winningest teams. Even Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban -- who knows a thing or two about running afoul of Stern and getting hit in the checkbook -- sounded off on the fine before his team's own game Saturday night.

Cuban believes the NBA was right to sanction his top rivals for messing with the league's "money train" -- meaning lucrative national television contracts. Yet he also called scheduling that marquee TNT game at the end of the Spurs' six-game road swing a "dumb" move on the NBA's part."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/gametracker/recap/NBA_20121201_MEM@SA/spurs-99-grizzlies-95-ot

Kidd K
12-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Not surprised Cuban agrees with something that negatively impacts the Spurs. SSDD from him.

He's also not saying anything new. We knew Stern was pissed because it was a TNT game. If Stern really gave a shit about how good the games were, he wouldn't set up or allow the schedule to be so favorable for one team during those meetings. It was right down to the wire anyway and pulled a typical TNT rating. 2nd highest rated TNT game rating of the year outside of the two opening day games.

Spursfan092120
12-02-2012, 12:55 AM
LOL...this muthafucka here. Protecting NBA partners? The fuck? This from the guy who bashed the Power Balance bands this year when the NBA took them on as a partner? Fluke or not, it's not the point...it's a partner. He can't fuckin bash the Spurs for doing the same shit he does.

howbouthemspurs
12-02-2012, 04:27 AM
Hes a businessman that only cares about money.... .. what he thinks is meaningless to those that love the game.

mudyez
12-02-2012, 05:12 AM
Next time Pop sits someone it will surely be with a ""Sternal fracture"!!! :)

mudyez
12-02-2012, 05:32 AM
So Stern can step in, when Timmy isn't playing, but he can't when Pop subs in Bonner in a playoff game? :O

will_spurs
12-02-2012, 02:51 PM
I think the tone and choice of words really matter. He starts by saying he is OK with the decision, and then proceeds to destroy that argument with carefully picked words. In the end Pop is the best coach in the league, the league office was dumb to come up with such a schedule, and the league is a "money train". I'm sure Stern doesn't need any enemies when he has such friends...

KaiRMD1
12-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Surprising? Not at all, it's Cuban. Dude fails to amaze me anymore and I'm not in the least bit surprised he even chimed in.

boutons_deux
12-02-2012, 04:16 PM
FUCK CUBAN.

DOUBLE FUCK CUBAN

He'd defend his coach for doing the same.

ChuckD
12-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Next time Pop sits someone it will surely be with a ""Sternal fracture"!!! :)

Bruised Sternum, tbh...

phxspurfan
12-02-2012, 05:17 PM
lol cute

thOOdee
12-02-2012, 05:20 PM
didn't this fool jack the NETS website.......lol