PDA

View Full Version : Duncan's MVP caliber play/Spurs defensive improvement: Buy or sell?

TD 21
12-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Let's face it, they're tied together. If he can somehow remain at least close to this level throughout, then he'll singlehandedly prop the defense up, but if he falls off, it'll fall with him. It's probably safe to say at this point that if he falls, he's not falling further than where he was from a few weeks before the All-Star break on last season, but even at that level, they were not a top 10 defensive team.

I realize it's still early, but you'd have to go back to 07-08 to find the last time the Spurs were this solid in the following categories: Defensive efficiency, where they're 5th (11th last season), opponent field goal percentage, where they're 10th (17 last season), opponent 3 point percentage, where they're 2nd (19th last season) and opponent points per game, where they're 11th (16th last season). Out of the major categories, only defensive rebounding has not improved, going from 1st last season to 23rd this season.

So, are you buying this or selling it?

lmbebo
12-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Si or No?

JRHernandez88
12-02-2012, 06:11 PM
still to early to tell... let's see how consistent it becomes. So far so good tho.

Ice009
12-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Have any of you guys read yesterday's Buck Harvey article?

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/12/01/value-of-this-duncan-priceless/

I've actually been against sitting out players the last few seasons, but that article changed my opinion on it a little bit, just like that, in one day ;).

I still don't like resting players if they are healthy, but for Tim, I think Pop is doing the right thing.

Richie
12-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Im buying the defensive improvement, roster stability and players like Kawhi, Diaw and Jax having a full training camp with the team.

Duncans play will inevitably fall off though. He is playing at a legit MVP level, and at 36 I don't think he can sustain it.

Lets not forget the positive effect we have seen by limiting Bonner and Blairs minutes too, and playing Splitter more.

TDfan2007
12-02-2012, 08:07 PM
Have any of you guys read yesterday's Buck Harvey article?

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/12/01/value-of-this-duncan-priceless/

I've actually been against sitting out players the last few seasons, but that article changed my opinion on it a little bit, just like that, in one day ;).

I still don't like resting players if they are healthy, but for Tim, I think Pop is doing the right thing.

I remember reading in Shaq's book that Pop told said Tim's knee was just about bone on bone. Basically the cartilage in one of Tim's knees (can't remember which at the moment) is essentially nonexistent, which is why he wears the brace. I mean the guy basically limps to the sideline after each timeout. For these types of issues limiting Tim's minutes in b2b games will do little, since he'll still be experiencing repetitive stress, not to mention the fact that as he fatigues his knees have a greater chance of buckling due to quad weakness (I recall this happening in 2011 against the Warriors).

I agree that Tony could survive a b2b (Manu...idk...), but Timmy's knee issues demand the occasional game off. I have absolutely no idea how he's been this good/explosive playing on essentially one knee, but I'm loving it, and his continued success will be dependent on getting extended rest.

Ice009
12-02-2012, 08:17 PM
I remember reading in Shaq's book that Pop told said Tim's knee was just about bone on bone. Basically the cartilage in one of Tim's knees (can't remember which at the moment) is essentially nonexistent, which is why he wears the brace. I mean the guy basically limps to the sideline after each timeout. For these types of issues limiting Tim's minutes in b2b games will do little, since he'll still be experiencing repetitive stress, not to mention the fact that as he fatigues his knees have a greater chance of buckling due to quad weakness (I recall this happening in 2011 against the Warriors).

I agree that Tony could survive a b2b (Manu...idk...), but Timmy's knee issues demand the occasional game off. I have absolutely no idea how he's been this good/explosive playing on essentially one knee, but I'm loving it, and his continued success will be dependent on getting extended rest.

I don't know if his knee is as bad as Shaq said Pop told him it was, but it seems to me that it is all about his knee. If his knee feels OK then he'll be Tim Duncan. If his knee is bothering him, then he can't be Tim Duncan. To me, it's not so much about age at all with Tim, it's more his knee and how it feels.

He's always been a magnificent fundamental player, and I always thought he would still be very, very good when he gets older because of his fundamentals. I didn't think there would be too much drop off in his game because of this. As long as Tim's body is OK physically, I always thought that he would still be a great player because of his fundamentals and how hard he works on his game.

The Buck Harvey article is the first time that I have read that Tim's knee was bothering him in that Memphis series. I thought it was an ankle sprain late in that season that affected his mobility for the series. I thought that was the main reason that he didn't seem that mobile, but Buck seems to be saying that is was the knee. If that is the case then I am all for resting him every now and then to help him out a little bit.

ChuckD
12-03-2012, 07:19 AM
He appears to be limping at times because the brace on his left knee does not allow it to completely straighten.

eric365
12-03-2012, 08:23 AM
Unfortunetly I don't buy Duncan having a full year of this caliber
Probably a very good Duncan by the playoff but not the almost MVP caliber Duncan we have now

And the defense improvement is partly linked to the Duncan second youth.

spurraider21
12-03-2012, 08:47 AM
While the logical side of me is saying "there's no way a 36 year old can keep this up," I'm starting to think otherwise. As I'm watching the way in which Tim is putting up his numbers, its not a way that is really physically taxing. He's hitting that outside jumper more consistently than at any point in his career. That could probably continue. And even in the post, he's not really muscling and banging his way through people, or truly exploding off the dribble, but rather is taking his time, using his footwork and length to create those easy shots. Now, these hammer dunks we've been seeing are a different story, but even then, if you look carefully, its not like he's getting massive lift. He's just using his length more than anything.

Defensively, I think on somewhere around half of his blocks, he doesn't even leave the ground, but just anticipates and gets great position to block a guard while he's on his way up, rather than meeting him at his peak. The rebounding is also more about positioning and length, things that won't "wear out." He just seems more active, not necessarily more athletic/explosive than last year. I think his level of play will be just fine, but the minutes will come down, so perhaps his totals will drop. I think he'll be just as efficient and effective though. His minutes are around 31 per game, which would be the most since 08-09. He'll probably sink to last year's levels around 28 or 29 minutes.