View Full Version : Lines Blur as Texas Gives Industries a Bonanza

ElNono
12-03-2012, 01:48 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/03/us/winners-and-losers-in-texas.html?hp&_r=0

ElNono
12-03-2012, 02:12 AM
On the same article series:

As Companies Seek Tax Deals, Governments Pay High Price
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/02/us/how-local-taxpayers-bankroll-corporations.html?hp

Wild Cobra
12-03-2012, 03:30 AM
Well, when an article refuses to keep things in perspective, I have no Interest in it.

1) The average cost of living in Texas is approximately 91% that of the US average. Texas may have more people living in poverty by the US poverty line, but it isn't a good representation.

2) Texas may give out more incentives than any other state, but it also has the 2nd largest population. If California wasn't in such a financial bind, I'll bet they would top Texas in that catagory. Don't you find it questionable that it doesn't give a per capita rate?

What isn't said in an article is very often more important than what is said. Especially in today's world of agenda driven journalism. Double that when it's a NY Slimes article.

boutons_deux
12-03-2012, 05:47 AM
TX gives $10Bs in tax expenditures, etc to corporations, but cuts $5B from education. TX is run of, by, FOR the 1%, which ALWAYS fucks the 99%.

And WC, like a whored lawyer, will say anything incredibly, indefensibly stupid to defend the 1% and UCA.

Wild Cobra
12-03-2012, 06:02 AM
TX gives $10Bs in tax expenditures, etc to corporations, but cuts $5B from education. TX is run of, by, FOR the 1%, which ALWAYS fucks the 99%.
OK...

I'll entertail the idea that you are 100% correct. Just how does that disagree with what I said?

And WC, like a whored lawyer, will say anything incredibly, indefensibly stupid to defend the 1% and UCA.
Not true. I will simply say things against the absolute stupidity people like you say.

Here's an idea I'd like you to consider. How many people would have no job if it wasn't for the 1%?

boutons_deux
12-03-2012, 06:24 AM
OK...
How many people would have no job if it wasn't for the 1%?

How many people would have homes, retirement funds, jobs, etc if it WEREN'T for the vampire-squid 1%?

Wild Cobra
12-03-2012, 06:32 AM
How many people would have homes, retirement funds, jobs, etc if it WEREN'T for the vampire-squid 1%?
Since they were stupid enough to refinance, flip houses, or what ever they got cought up in, my opinion is they would have lost to some other poor plan they entered.

Why are you blaming the rich for other people's stupidity?

DarrinS
12-03-2012, 08:49 AM
So, we'd be better off if companies don't move to Texas?

Winehole23
12-03-2012, 09:01 AM
So, you're for the state of Texas using corporate welfare to dictate winners and losers in the marketplace?

Winehole23
12-03-2012, 09:03 AM
also, there's this:

The free flow of tax breaks and subsidies in Texas makes it particularly fertile ground to examine these economic development deals and the fundamental trade-off behind them: the more states give to businesses, the less they have available in the short term to spend on basic services, a calculation made more stark by the recession.

To help balance its budget last year, Texas cut public education spending by $5.4 billion — a significant decrease considering that it already ranked 11th from the bottom among all states in per-pupil financing, according to recent data from the Census Bureau. Yet highly profitable companies like Dow Chemical and Texas Instruments continue to enjoy hefty discounts on their school tax bills through one of the state’s economic development programs.

Winehole23
12-03-2012, 09:04 AM
when the state gives sweetheart deals to attract business, it can end up shortchanging its own citizens

Winehole23
12-03-2012, 09:07 AM
What isn't said in an article is very often more important than what is said. Especially in today's world of agenda driven journalism. Double that when it's a NY Slimes article.you got nothing? count me unsurprised.

coyotes_geek
12-03-2012, 09:17 AM
As long as taxpayers are going to continue to elect politicians based on a percieved ability to "create jobs", politicians are going to continue to use taxpayer money to bribe businesses to locate in their constituency. It's a completely bipartisan practice.

boutons_deux
12-03-2012, 09:22 AM
While top private universities give their education away free on line, TX PUBLIC universities are talking about onlines courses even more expensive than classroom courses.

Online learning can be pricey

“Start-up costs” for building a comprehensive online course catalog at Texas' public universities could be cited for keeping the price of online classes as high and sometimes higher than traditional classes — for now.

University officials say cost is a reflection of the investment associated with a new way of teaching and learning.

“Building an online infrastructure has a large up-front cost but can save the university space and money over years of using the technologies,” said Dominic Chavez, spokesman for the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.

It's not clear when universities will pass on the savings to students, who enjoy the flexibility and convenience of online classes while universities can enroll more without accommodating them on campus.

http://mobile.mysa.com/mysa/db_283104/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=ULkhKHh9&full=true#display

TX typifies REPUG misgovernment against the 99%.

Winehole23
12-03-2012, 09:26 AM
As long as taxpayers are going to continue to elect politicians based on a percieved ability to "create jobs", politicians are going to continue to use taxpayer money to bribe businesses to locate in their constituency. It's a completely bipartisan practice.yep

RandomGuy
12-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Don't you find it questionable that it doesn't give a per capita rate?

Texas cut public education spending by $5.4 billion — a significant decrease considering that it already ranked 11th from the bottom among all states in per-pupil financing, according to recent data from the Census Bureau. Yet highly profitable companies like Dow Chemical and Texas Instruments continue to enjoy hefty discounts on their school tax bills through one of the state’s economic development programs.

In the Manor school district, which comprises the town and part of Austin, Samsung has been awarded more than $231 million in incentives from state and local officials. But the recent budget cuts have left the district with crowded classes and fewer programs.

Texas' education system lags, for rather obvious reasons.

ElNono
12-03-2012, 03:01 PM
I'm actually much more alarmed with the apparent conflict of interest in placing lobbyists in places where they determine grants. It's like they're not even trying to hide the corruption.

boutons_deux
12-03-2012, 03:05 PM
I'm actually much more alarmed with the apparent conflict of interest in placing lobbyists in places where they determine grants. It's like they're not even trying to hide the corruption.

That's REPUG TX, a one-party Repug state.

RickyBobby has corrupted the entire govt by replacing bureaucratic professionals with Repugs operatives, just like the dubya/dickhead WH did at federal level.

RandomGuy
12-03-2012, 03:22 PM

That's what you get when you know you will win elections without a real challenge. US Dems need to step up. The GOP stranglehold is not quite as ironclad as some think, IMO.

Winehole23
12-03-2012, 03:49 PM
I'm actually much more alarmed with the apparent conflict of interest in placing lobbyists in places where they determine grants. It's like they're not even trying to hide the corruption.crony capitalism is alive and well in the USA.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-03-2012, 04:04 PM
It's especially egregious in Texas. The Constitution sets up all manner of commission FFA and it's been a Texas tradition to go with the spoils system for one's friends. Look no further than the judiciary who is stock full of corporate advocates. The corruption is just accepted as a matter of course just like in the NE and certain places in the midwest.

Wild Cobra
12-03-2012, 04:25 PM
you got nothing? count me unsurprised.
I have more than the article did. Would you agree statistics can be made to say what you want? Well, that's exactly what the article did, and I exposed that.

Drachen
12-03-2012, 04:28 PM
WC has been reading some things here and there and so knows stuff about subjects.

Winehole23
12-03-2012, 04:58 PM
I have more than the article did. Would you agree statistics can be made to say what you want? Well, that's exactly what the article did, and I exposed that.you exposed diddly.

Wild Cobra
12-03-2012, 05:14 PM
you exposed diddly.
Then show me otherwise. I at least gave reasonable suspicion to their methodology.

2nd most populous state with the most $$$ spending in such an area... Not unreasonable at all, especially since the most populous state has financial problems.

Cost of living only 91% the national average, and they use the national poverty line instead of a cost of living adjusted line.

Now what I didn't point out is the counties worse off in the poverty statistics are primarily ones bordering Mexico.

I pointed out the flaws in what the article said. I don't really care what you think past that.

boutons_deux
12-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Ah, Texas, how the 1% love ya! even with low CoL, still:

87 percent of Texas communities exceed US poverty rate in new survey
http://texashousers.net/2009/01/01/87-percent-of-texas-communities-exceed-average-us-community-poverty-rate-in-new-survey/

Winehole23
12-03-2012, 05:36 PM
WC, you picked at a nit and ignored the main point.

Capt Bringdown
12-03-2012, 05:40 PM
On a related note:

Paying Taxes to the Boss: How a Growing Number of States Subsidize Companies with the Withholding Taxes of Workers (http://www.goodjobsfirst.org/taxestotheboss)
As Americans file their state income tax returns this month, some may dislike paying taxes but most take heart from the fact that their dollars support public schools and colleges, roads and transit, health care and public safety. However, for some people, the personal income taxes they see deducted from their paychecks aren’t supporting public services. Indeed, this is true for workers at more than 2,700 companies in 16 states.

Nearly $700 million is getting diverted each year. And it is very unlikely that the affected workers are aware, given that no state requires that the diversion be disclosed on pay stubs. Where is the money going? To the employers of those workers. A growing number of states are diverting revenue traditionally devoted to funding essential government services to pay for lavish subsidy awards to corporations for job creation or sometimes simply job retention. The practice of redirecting large portions of the state personal income tax (PIT) withholding deducted from paychecks means many workers are, in effect, paying taxes to their boss.

Along with the worker deception, many of the programs are entwined with two of the most controversial practices in economic development: the economic war among the states and job blackmail. Many PIT diversions are paying corporations to simply relocate existing jobs from one state to another; others are used by states when they capitulate to companies that threaten to move to another state.

Paying Taxes to Your Boss: Another Step Toward 21st Century Feudalism (http://www.nextnewdeal.net/paying-taxes-your-boss-another-step-toward-21st-century-feudalism#.UKkRDkoNqHs.reddit)
"Some conservatives view all taxation as theft, but there’s surely no better term for what happens when employers promise their workers a certain wage or salary and then pocket some of the money for themselves. When you pay taxes to the government, you get something in return, whether it’s a school for your kids or a road to drive on or a firefighter to rescue you from a burning building. When you pay taxes to your boss, you… well, you give your boss your money. Your only reward is that you get to continue to “work the land,” so to speak.

Paying taxes your employer keeps (http://blogs.reuters.com/david-cay-johnston/2011/07/19/paying-taxes-your-employer-keeps/)
Painful as it feels to have a lot of hard-earned income taken from your paycheck for taxes, a new Illinois law does something Americans may find surprising. It lets some employers pocket taxes for 10 years.

You read that right — in Illinois the state income taxes withheld from your paycheck may be kept by your employer under a law that took effect in May.

The Illinois deal shows how competition between the states, and with other countries, helps big corporations wring subsidies from state governments even as the states are being forced to fire teachers and other public workers because of a weak economy that has cost jobs and tax revenue.

Why would the state let companies do this? Most big companies pay little or no state corporate income tax, because companies arrange to take expenses in higher tax states and profits in states with little or no corporate income tax. So the only way to finance incentives without the state writing a check is to let the companies pocket their workers’ state income tax.

The Illinois deal also shows how government, rather than the market, picks winners and losers.

boutons_deux
12-03-2012, 05:58 PM
On a related note:

But right-winger still venerate corporations as the faultless, unchallengeable pinnacle of civilization.

Capt Bringdown
12-03-2012, 06:07 PM
But right-winger still venerate corporations as the faultless, unchallengeable pinnacle of civilization.

And "left-wing" Democrats are equally if not more complicit, so what's a working man supposed to do?

ChumpDumper
12-03-2012, 06:15 PM
So, we'd be better off if companies don't move to Texas?I don't know. Why are taxes in Texas going up?

boutons_deux
12-03-2012, 06:17 PM
And "left-wing" Democrats are equally if not more complicit, so what's a working man supposed to do?

There's plenty of left-wingers who know very well the damage corporations, esp the largest ones, visit on people and the planet. Name some right-wingers who have that position.

ElNono
12-03-2012, 07:49 PM

par the course

Winehole23
12-04-2012, 12:48 AM
SOP, tbh

ElNono
12-04-2012, 01:28 AM
SOP, tbh

:madrun they don't say what I agree with, thus they're lying, don't ask why :madrun

Winehole23
12-04-2012, 01:29 AM
he can't tell you, either. just waves his hands in a sidebar.

Wild Cobra
12-04-2012, 04:11 AM
By all means. Tell me what the main point is.

Winehole23
12-04-2012, 12:36 PM
preferential tax incentives shortchange the citizens of Texas. they fly in the face of free enterprise and essentially suborn the companies on behalf of the party that gives them out.