PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Insider Article: Trade ideas for contenders (Spurs trade idea)

jiggy_55
12-03-2012, 01:16 PM
This article mentioned a trade idea for the Spurs, just posting for everyone to see...

(http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/sa/san-antonio-spurs)http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8697415/trade-ideas-memphis-grizzlies-boston-celtics-other-contenders-nba
San Antonio Spurs acquire: David West (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2177/david-west)
Indiana Pacers (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/ind/indiana-pacers) acquire: Tiago Splitter (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3233/tiago-splitter), Nando de Colo (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3977/nando-de-colo), Matt Bonner (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1996/matt-bonner)
Why it works for San Antonio: The window of opportunity is still open for the Spurs, butTim Duncan (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/215/tim-duncan), Tony Parker (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1015/tony-parker) and Manu Ginobili (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/272/manu-ginobili) aren't getting any younger and it's hard to say how long that window will remain open. That's why it'd make sense for San Antonio to trade a bit of its future for more of the present, and that's just what West is -- a free agent at the end of the season who can come in and help Duncan on the interior with scoring and rebounding.
Why it works for Indiana: If the Pacers get a healthy Granger back in February and finish out the regular season playing well, they almost certainly would keep West in the fold for a playoff run. If they fall out of the race, though, or aren't playing like a team that can contend for the title, they would be wise to deal the veteran power forward for young pieces who can be a part of their future. Two positions of need on this Indiana team in the seasons ahead are point guard and power forward, and that's why promising international players Splitter and de Colo would be an ideal package.

Fireball
12-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Interesting ... West ist still good (although he does not have the passing ability of typical Spurs bigmen) ... I do not want to lose Tiago ... but if we can win a championship this year with him, I would go for it

Paranoid Pop
12-03-2012, 01:22 PM
I'm on board with trading high on Splitter but I don't see it. I think Boston is the only team that needs the size with the low contract but they don't have anything to send.

The_Worlds_finest
12-03-2012, 01:36 PM
David West is pretty consistent and would make a hell of an addition. However much like every other human on this planet, west 32, isn't getting younger either.

bigfan
12-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Nah, I vote we hang on to Splitter for the time being. Bonner, Blair, de Colo, and/or Anderson sure. I smell future headaches with de Colo.

Paranoid Pop
12-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Splitter has no range even his hook shot is atrocious tbh and he's not a good rebounder/ft shooter. He's playing as good as he ever will most likely, I'd sign McDyess and see what I could get for him. If the celtics are still bad when AB comes back they could think about trading him for Splitter.

SenorSpur
12-03-2012, 01:54 PM
IMO, this is a horrible trade scenario. I don't like West. While he's an excellent midrange shooter, he's a blackhole on the offensive end and he doesn't rebound or defend well enough for the Spurs needs. Splitter is just coming into his own and as such, I think the Spurs should resist the temptation to trade him. However, if the Spurs are going to aim high in trading for a PF, it should be a young and up and coming PF like say, Patrick Patterson.

timvp
12-03-2012, 02:03 PM
Meh, I don't like that trade idea. West is a good player but he's not much of a defender, not much of a rebounder and needs a good amount of touches to be an effective overall player. On top of that, he's a free agent that will surely be overpaid this summer. Plus, who is going to be the backup center in order to save TD from playing too much? Blair?

Splitter fits what the Spurs need, has a pretty damn high ceiling and can produce without a lot of touches. Maybe he flames out again this year but I just don't think West gives the Spurs a high enough ceiling. Besides, a fourth scorer doesn't really work next to the Big 3 and it's not like scoring is an issue anyways.

Edit: Pretty much what SenorSpur said. Although I'm not too high on Patterson anymore since he stopped being able to rebound.

acoelho1
12-03-2012, 02:06 PM
I rather have Gortat who is younger and brings the added bonus of blocking shots. He is clearly not happy in Phoenix and I think we could offer more than any other trading partner with Splitter being at the centerpiece.

SenorSpur
12-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Meh, I don't like that trade idea. West is a good player but he's not much of a defender, not much of a rebounder and needs a good amount of touches to be an effective overall player. On top of that, he's a free agent that will surely be overpaid this summer. Plus, who is going to be the backup center in order to save TD from playing too much? Blair?

Splitter fits what the Spurs need, has a pretty damn high ceiling and can produce without a lot of touches. Maybe he flames out again this year but I just don't think West gives the Spurs a high enough ceiling. Besides, a fourth scorer doesn't really work next to the Big 3 and it's not like scoring is an issue anyways.

Edit: Pretty much what SenorSpur said. Although I'm not too high on Patterson anymore since he stopped being able to rebound.

Yeah, Patterson has seemingly focused more on scoring, as of late.

silverblackfan
12-03-2012, 02:15 PM
I don't like the trade either. West has a great mid-range jumper, but has a history of back problems, older, shorter, etc.. Tiago needs time to develop and this is the first year we have seen him getting pretty regular minutes. Lets see where that goes. Same with Nando, who has some serious potential if he can improve his defense and shooting.

SpursRock20
12-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Could the same trade work for Al Jefferson?

mercos
12-03-2012, 02:23 PM
I'm not too high on West. We already have a pair of bigs that can shoot jumpers in Duncan and Bonner. If we trade Splitter along with other pieces, it would need to be for another interior player, preferably one with solid defense. West does not fit any of those roles.

Gagnrath
12-03-2012, 02:23 PM
While West is better than Splitter right now, the difference isn't that great. The 7' Splitter brings intimidating size and a fairly assured pick and roll possession. West isn't the defensive presence and has allready hit his peak.

DesignatedT
12-03-2012, 02:47 PM
West is in the last year of his contract. That trade doesn't really do anything for the Spurs. We still have the Blair problem to deal with.

YoMamaIsCallin
12-03-2012, 02:48 PM
I rather have Gortat who is younger and brings the added bonus of blocking shots. He is clearly not happy in Phoenix and I think we could offer more than any other trading partner with Splitter being at the centerpiece.

If PHX would go for it the Spurs would do this in a heartbeat. Gortat is turning into a really good NBA big man, on the fringe of being an all star, and he's just 28. He's under the radar right now to the average fan and the media.

But PHX would want more if they have any brains.

The time to get him would have been 2 years ago.

YoMamaIsCallin
12-03-2012, 02:50 PM
I don't like the trade either. West has a great mid-range jumper, but has a history of back problems, older, shorter, etc.. Tiago needs time to develop and this is the first year we have seen him getting pretty regular minutes. Lets see where that goes. Same with Nando, who has some serious potential if he can improve his defense and shooting.

This.

crc21209
12-03-2012, 03:07 PM
No thanks. Like timvp and others have already said here, sure West is a pretty damn good option on the offensive end, but the defensive end is another thing. I have never been a fan of his one on one defense and his rebounding. I'll take Splitter over West any day....

12-03-2012, 03:12 PM
it's a decent trade but why would the pacers do it? david west's dead accurate jumpshots are the perfect compliment to roy hibbert. if the pacers want to continue making noise in the playoffs, this trade would be a lateral move.

acoelho1
12-03-2012, 03:15 PM
If PHX would go for it the Spurs would do this in a heartbeat. Gortat is turning into a really good NBA big man, on the fringe of being an all star, and he's just 28. He's under the radar right now to the average fan and the media.

But PHX would want more if they have any brains.

The time to get him would have been 2 years ago.

Well, he wants out of Phoenix and since he is in a contract year and is 28, he would prefer to resign with a contender. You would be hard pressed to find any contending team that could offer a solid big like Splitter and maybe one of our backup point guards and/or Neal, Blair..etc. Gortat is a perfect fit for the Spurs in that he is phyical, he can rebound, block shots and has a nice outside touch. I don't expect the Spurs to inquire but the Suns will need to move him unless they workout the issues he has with the team.

Mel_13
12-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Well, he wants out of Phoenix and since he is in a contract year and is 28, he would prefer to resign with a contender. You would be hard pressed to find any contending team that could offer a solid big like Splitter and maybe one of our backup point guards and/or Neal, Blair..etc. Gortat is a perfect fit for the Spurs in that he is phyical, he can rebound, block shots and has a nice outside touch. I don't expect the Spurs to inquire but the Suns will need to move him unless they workout the issues he has with the team.

Gortat hasn't said that he wants out of Phoenix and he's not in a contract year.

Also, wouldn't trade Tiago for West.

Budkin
12-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Splitter is finally coming into his own. He should be off the trade table for now.

SenorSpur
12-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Since Gortat's name has surfaced in this thread, HE should be THE ONLY player the Spurs should be targeting in any deal that would involve Splitter. Otherwise, any thoughts of trading Splitter should be scrapped. He's playing too well.

Chinook
12-03-2012, 04:00 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=c5jr97e

This would bring together a few often-discussed trades. I only wish the Suns had better 2-guard depth.

Tbiggums47
12-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Nope.....Nice Idea but Tiago is a "young" bird in the hand...(a big man at that)...I'm like Hall and Oates.."I can't go for that...Nooooo! No can do!)

DPG21920
12-03-2012, 04:05 PM
West is certainly the bigger name, more polished/safer player, but I don't see him being the piece and to be honest when Tiago is his best, the Tim/Tiago combo has more upside (which Spurs need some gambles, things like that to win it all anyways). For that reason, I agree that Spurs should not do that trade.

Plenty of teams are going to be asking for Splitter in any deal. They know the big 3 is untouchable, so they will go for the next best asset (maybe Kawhi as well) if they are to give up anything of substance. Even though Jack would be really tough to give up as well, Tiago is even more detrimental in that regard.

It will be tough for the Spurs to do a trade with their assets since you have to assume pretty much they have limited talent and 5 untouchables at this point unless it's a no-brainer (Tim, TP, Manu, Kawhi and Tiago). Best hope is a team like UTA can't find much for Millsap and the Spurs can give up just expiring contract (Jax) + first round pick + decent role player (Blair or Neal) or something similar to that.

Tbiggums47
12-03-2012, 04:07 PM
Could the same trade work for Al Jefferson? Hmmmmm? Jefferson!?????I can go for that...Yessss...Yes can do!

Paranoid Pop
12-03-2012, 04:09 PM
I'd also trade Splitter + filler for a monkeyballer like McGee tbh. I'd also trade Danny Green. Both of them reached their ceiling and don't inspire confidence in the playoffs.

freetiago
12-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Spurs might be able to get Pau Gasol
leader kobe calling out his teammates and making them play like shit
as much as i like stephen jackson we would have to trade him to make salaries work
spurs trade jackson+bonner+filler for pau gasol and maybe one scrub like duhon

lakers get depth+3 pt shooting+ floor spacing
they can insert jamison into the starting lineup since he fits the system well and bonner replaces what he does at a league leading 3pt %

spurs get an elite frontcourt

Richie
12-03-2012, 05:04 PM
I'd like to see if we can lure West here in the summer through free agency.

If we could get him to sign for around what he is on now, $10m, we could have a front court of Duncan/Splitter West/Diaw. Formidable IMO.

If we sign a bigger name like Millsap to more money we may not have the cap room to resign Tiago.

dunkman
12-03-2012, 05:11 PM
The Spurs have to keep Duncan / Splitter / Diaw while adding David West.

elemento
12-03-2012, 05:57 PM
This trade doesn't even make any sense for Indiana. They just signed Roy Hibbert to a max contract, gave Ian 4m/year and drafted a Center in the 1st round. Why would they want Splitter? ESPN is so dumb and clueless about the Spurs that they say Splitter is a PF, when in fact he is the only BIG from SA that can't play PF at all.

Still, I pass. West is old and I am sure he wants to milk his last big contract after this season. Splitter + Nando is way too much for a rental and in order to keep West SA would have to give him a new fat contract and I don't wanna see another Jefferson-esque contract ever.

TD 21
12-03-2012, 06:00 PM
I wouldn't even consider trading Splitter for West and unless the Pacers were going to immediately re-route Splitter or shop Hibbert, I don't see how this would make sense for them either.

The only way the Spurs can trade Splitter is if they're getting a solid backup center in return, in addition to an upgrade at starting power forward. Obviously, him alone wouldn't be enough to get both of these things, but those are the assets required for them to part with him.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Splitter has no range even his hook shot is atrocious tbh and he's not a good rebounder/ft shooter. He's playing as good as he ever will most likely, I'd sign McDyess and see what I could get for him. If the celtics are still bad when AB comes back they could think about trading him for Splitter.

And yet his PER still remains over 20.

Kidd K
12-03-2012, 06:23 PM
This is going to sound very greedy, but while I would like to add David West, I wouldn't want to do that at the cost of Tiago Splitter. On the Spurs, I'm not entirely sure what role Pop would use him in. Would he start? If so, how much good is he against Howard, Gasol, the other Gasol, or Randolph? Or Blake Griffin? Dirk? The top teams out west have pipe hittin frontcourts. We can't afford to be soft defensively. West would work fine against the Thunder though I guess.

If Pop used him off the bench, that's sort of an expensive 6th man, but I guess our bench would be pretty stacked with Manu, Jackson, AND West coming off it. Then perhaps he could finish out halves with the big 3 and Jackson/Leonard. Still, the defensive matchup problem still rears its head. He's not going to be able to stop any of the top frontcourt players in the west. Timmy can't guard both on the court at the same time.

I have a feeling, if we got West, we'd be giving up more in the post. Especially if we use him to close out games. I don't really think we need his offensive ability that badly.

I agree with the Gortat comments though that some have made. We need someone more like that than David West.

Big P
12-03-2012, 06:36 PM
Splitter, Nando, and bonner all for the right to rent DWest??? Gee, what a great deal.

maverick1948
12-03-2012, 09:11 PM
No to West TOO old. No to J McGee. Gortat on the other hand, brings something to the table. I dont think we have to give up much more than Splitter, Bonner and Neal or Anderson. Money works. Phoenix does this because they have lost C Frye indifinately. Bonner is the same stretch 4 that Frye. Splitter is not quite the inside presence as Gortat, but he has good moves and would be playing with Dragic. Neal or Anderson give them scoring. This is the only trade I would go for as nothing else suggested gives us enough return for
Splitter.

Tuddy
12-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Surely we don't want to get smaller

Captivus
12-03-2012, 10:18 PM
I wouldn't trade Tiago, not if he continues to play like he is doing now.
Like everybody says, we need a big one, we need blocking, and NO, no one can stop D12, unless we get him.
I hope the Spurs do something, they have assets to trade. For what i have seen, a 2 team trade is gonna be difficult.

100%duncan
12-03-2012, 11:32 PM
Fuck.That.Choker.Tbh.

Ice009
12-04-2012, 07:26 AM
No to West TOO old. No to J McGee. Gortat on the other hand, brings something to the table. I dont think we have to give up much more than Splitter, Bonner and Neal or Anderson. Money works. Phoenix does this because they have lost C Frye indifinately. Bonner is the same stretch 4 that Frye. Splitter is not quite the inside presence as Gortat, but he has good moves and would be playing with Dragic. Neal or Anderson give them scoring. This is the only trade I would go for as nothing else suggested gives us enough return for
Splitter.

Not interested in West at all, but Gortat on the other hand is very intriguing. I wonder if the Suns would be willing to deal him. Scola is also a good friend of his, so it could be a really good fit together.

I haven't watched Gortat play at all this season though. How good has he been in comparison to Splitter this season?

Manufan909
12-04-2012, 11:30 PM
Spurs might be able to get Pau Gasol
leader kobe calling out his teammates and making them play like shit
as much as i like stephen jackson we would have to trade him to make salaries work
spurs trade jackson+bonner+filler for pau gasol and maybe one scrub like duhon

lakers get depth+3 pt shooting+ floor spacing
they can insert jamison into the starting lineup since he fits the system well and bonner replaces what he does at a league leading 3pt %

spurs get an elite frontcourt

No way in hell would the Lakers ever trade one of their top 3 players to the Spurs, unless the deal was completely one-sided in their favor.

On the discussion at hand, I would prefer Gortat over any other available big man. As many have stated, he is exactly what the Spurs need. In a perfect world, they'd only have to give up a combo of Neal/Green/Bonner/Blair/Diaw to get him. Since we don't live in a perfect world, I guess I'd be ok with SJax or Tiago being traded for him.

dunkman
12-05-2012, 09:39 PM
West is a much better player than what's given credit for, he would be a huge addition. He does score from offensive rebounds, his foot work and post up game is excellent and he shoots great too, all the way to the 3pt range. He's average defensively, but he would improve playing for the Spurs.

If a trade doesnt materialize, I hope the Spurs will sign him as FA after this season.

Sean88888
12-06-2012, 05:22 AM
I like Larry Sanders. Realistically, can we get him? I don't think we need to give up too much.