PDA

View Full Version : Should Ray Allen's Clutch Three have counted? Lebron Three Second Violation?

Boomersgold
12-04-2012, 01:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQOo3TdqSYw

Should Lebron have been called for a three second violation? He clearly was in the key for at least 3 seconds! Another example of biased officiating against the Spurs?

spurraider21
12-04-2012, 01:57 AM
by the letter of the nba rule book, it could a 3 second call (barely). he gets in the paint with 7 on the shot clock and gets out when theres 4 seconds left. in reality, the 3 second violation is more like the 4-5 second violation. looking at this call is very nit-picky and not worth it. nice play by bron to recover the ball. it was a great game for us despite the loss. lets move on

therealtruth
12-04-2012, 02:19 AM
What was Neal doing not covering Allen? The guy did the same thing to Derek Fisher in the WCF. His defensive IQ is ridiculously low.

ElNono
12-04-2012, 02:32 AM
OP sounds butthurt as hell, tbh

bbarry
12-04-2012, 02:34 AM
nope

not even close to being a 3 second violation tbqh

3.75 seconds at best, but no team would ever get 3 seconds called on them in that situation unless they were there for much longer.

Boomersgold
12-04-2012, 02:44 AM
OP sounds butthurt as hell, tbh

As a true Spurs fan, I am butt hurt. If you aren't 'butthurt', then you aren't a Spurs fan. There genuinely should have been a three second call on Lebron, and that three that won them the game shouldn't have been counted.

Juggity
12-04-2012, 02:46 AM
As a true Spurs fan, I am butt hurt. If you aren't 'butthurt', then you aren't a Spurs fan. There genuinely should have been a three second call on Lebron, and that three that won them the game shouldn't have been counted. On Spurstalk, why do people keep adding 'tbh' at the end of their sentences?

tbh = period tbh

Boomersgold
12-04-2012, 02:47 AM
nope

not even close to being a 3 second violation tbqh

3.75 seconds at best, but no team would ever get 3 seconds called on them in that situation unless they were there for much longer.

The three second rule almost never gets called in the NBA. Why even have the rule if you're going to allow 4-5 seconds on a daily basis?

CitizenDwayne
12-04-2012, 02:56 AM
Most ignored rule in the NBA.

And it's Lebron.

So...no surprise here.

Trainwreck2100
12-04-2012, 02:58 AM
bad bounce, shit happens, if shit was called right all the timespurs probably lose saturday

100%duncan
12-04-2012, 02:58 AM
As a true Spurs fan, I am butt hurt. If you aren't 'butthurt', then you aren't a Spurs fan. There genuinely should have been a three second call on Lebron, and that three that won them the game shouldn't have been counted.
:lmao

bbarry
12-04-2012, 03:04 AM
The three second rule almost never gets called in the NBA. Why even have the rule, if you're going to allow 4-5 seconds on a daily basis?

it's not that they don't call it. it's that they won't call it in those situations when a guy is fumbling and trying to gain control of the ball. a lot of it is based on the actions of the would-be offender.

for example duncan has position in the low post inside the paint. let's say he's been there for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 seconds or so. he then receives the ball from parker. duncan is then allowed 2 dribbles, or maybe 3 very quick dribbles then he has to immediately pass it off or attempt a shot. if he tries to then pump fake or attempt something else other than a shot, he will get called for 3 seconds.

i know one situation which they would call 3 seconds is when a guy is lurking in the painted area without being in reach of the opposing player. but still, I think though refs are still usually a bit lenient on actual time they allow. probably closer to 4 seconds if they see the guy making a quick attempt to get out of the paint, they won't call it.

but after those 3-4 seconds, if he is moving towards the middle of the paint, instead of trying to get out, they will call it.

it's pretty much a judgmental call like everything else in the nba.

z0sa
12-04-2012, 03:35 AM
NBA refs tend to act as if they've been instructed only to call it when there's a strong possibility the offensive player will receive the ball via a pass or rebound and/or score, or it becomes more like a 5 second rule and only if both feet are in the paint.

Additionally, due to the speed of the game, I think sometimes refs just don't catch exactly when a player enters the paint. So sometimes they probably start counting seconds after the player has entered into it.

spurraider21
12-04-2012, 07:15 AM
As a true Spurs fan, I am butt hurt. If you aren't 'butthurt', then you aren't a Spurs fan.

:lol coming to a spurs forum and telling us we aren't spurs fans :lol

Drz
12-04-2012, 07:21 AM
What was Neal doing not covering Allen?
This is the bigger question. I thought he had been crashing on the ball, freeing Allen up, which would've been more than understandable. Turns out he just had his back turned to his man and wasn't going after the ball at all.... definitely a huge miscue.

Boomersgold
12-04-2012, 07:24 AM
:lol coming to a spurs forum and telling us we aren't spurs fans :lol

When did I say that?:rollin

I said if you didn't feel upset after that loss against the Heat, a game in which we lead for the majority of the fourth quarter, then you're not a Spurs fan. Am I the only one that wanted to see our bench beat the Heat? (I also wanted them to win as a big F U to Stern for threatening 'sanctions' against the Spurs)

spurraider21
12-04-2012, 08:16 AM
When did I say that?:rollin

I said if you didn't feel upset after that loss against the Heat, a game in which we lead for the majority of the fourth quarter, then you're not a Spurs fan. Am I the only one that wanted to see our bench beat the Heat? (I also wanted them to win as a big F U to Stern for threatening 'sanctions' against the Spurs)
people called you butthurt over the call. you then went on to say "if you are not butthurt you are not a spurs fan"
considering nobody on the thread (besides you) was butthurt, you essentially claimed everybody on the thread is not a spurs fan

Boomersgold
12-04-2012, 08:17 AM
people called you butthurt over the call. you then went on to say "if you are not butthurt you are not a spurs fan"
considering nobody on the thread (besides you) was butthurt, you essentially claimed everybody on the thread is not a spurs fan

The no-call basically caused the Spurs to lose the game. If you aren't upset about the no call, then you obviously didn't care that the Spurs lost the game and therefore aren't a true Spurs fan. I can understand the whole 'let's move on thing', but had we won, Stern would've looked like a fool for threatening sanctions (the fine) against the Spurs!

Captivus
12-04-2012, 08:17 AM
The NBA should eliminate the 3 seconds rule, it doesnt make sense.
Teams would shot more 3 pointers i guess, but then the bigs probably woulndt get the rebound.

spurspokesman
12-04-2012, 08:23 AM
What was Neal doing not covering Allen? The guy did the same thing to Derek Fisher in the WCF. His defensive IQ is ridiculously low. This. It never ceases to amaze me how handsomely paid proffesionals equipped with scouting reports and knowledge of lethal shooters like allen allow them open looks . SMH

Obstructed_View
12-04-2012, 08:25 AM
So can we take away all of Shaq's titles next?

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-04-2012, 08:29 AM
Disagree on the 3 sec violation - if refs called these, then there would be at least 10 each game.

Neal, on the other hand, obviously fucked up majorly on the play. So it's not the refs fault.

Boomersgold
12-04-2012, 08:31 AM
Disagree on the 3 sec violation - if refs called these, then there would be at least 10 each game.

Neal, on the other hand, obviously fucked up majorly on the play. So it's not the refs fault.

Agreed. They might as well change it to being a 4-5 second rule.

Mal
12-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Nah, legit NBA play. Refs let players play. Allen hit clutch three, not that refs gave it to him.

jbspurs
12-04-2012, 08:59 AM
3 seconds rule is not counted as simple 1,2,3.. It's counted as 1 one thousand, 2 one thousand and 3 one thousand. No 3 seconds there and Spurs lost that game, No excuse.

Boomersgold
12-04-2012, 09:03 AM
3 seconds rule is not counted as simple 1,2,3.. It's counted as 1 one thousand, 2 one thousand and 3 one thousand. No 3 seconds there and Spurs lost that game, No excuse.

It was about 3.7 seconds according to the game clock.

jbspurs
12-04-2012, 09:14 AM
Ref's don't look at game clock to start counting, they do their own counting which is the 1 one thousand ... which takes longer than game clock seconds. Just like 25 seconds game clock vs 25 seconds shot clock it's different! C'mon man!!..

silverblackfan
12-04-2012, 09:20 AM
It seemed legit to me. Neal is the culprit in this scene. He is just standing there and loses track of his man. He was probably pretty tired at that point. I am hoping he is looking at the tape right now and vowing to never do it again.

therealtruth
12-04-2012, 09:47 AM
To be honest they usually don't call it if a play is being made. You see guys go up get blocked over and over again in the paint with no 3 sec calls.

FromWayDowntown
12-04-2012, 09:52 AM
If you're going to be upset by that no call, you have to admit that the officials blew the shot clock violation late in the Memphis game (and they did).

And if you admit that, you come pretty damned close to admitting that the calls evened out in the wash.

As between the two, I'd rather have the Memphis win and that particular loss in Miami; it's better than the bench having won in Miami and the rested stars losing a home game to a division rival playing on the second night of its own back-to-back.

Gagnrath
12-04-2012, 10:13 AM
It is a fairly understood point of the rules that the player has to be attempting to gain an advantage by being in the lane, not coincidentally there approximately half a second to long attempting to regain possession of a contested ball. While this isn't written it would be similar fining someone for littering when a quarter fell out of their pocket unnoticed.

JRHernandez88
12-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Lmfao

Boomersgold
12-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Lmfao

Another one of JRHernandez's great posts! :rollin

JRHernandez88
12-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Another one of JRHernandez's useless posts! :rollin

GOT DAM son, quit while your ahead. I have sympathy for you. You've already used up all my fail smileys...

http://imageshack.us/a/img217/8003/scaledphpserver198filen.png

YoMamaIsCallin
12-04-2012, 12:55 PM
This is nothing. Arguably the ball was tipped by a Spurs player and LeBron recovered it, resetting the three second count.

As others have pointed out, it's really only called in the NBA when it's egregious and an advantage is gained.

Had it been the other way you would have been screaming Stern conspiracy and ref bias.

spurraider21
12-04-2012, 03:02 PM
The no-call basically caused the Spurs to lose the game. If you aren't upset about the no call, then you obviously didn't care that the Spurs lost the game and therefore aren't a true Spurs fan. I can understand the whole 'let's move on thing', but had we won, Stern would've looked like a fool for threatening sanctions (the fine) against the Spurs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC75aU47GRk

Boomersgold
12-04-2012, 03:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC75aU47GRk

C'mon man, I'ma be real here. You aren't even slightly pissed at that no-call that cost us the game?

kobyz
12-04-2012, 03:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQOo3TdqSYw

Should Lebron have been called for a three second violation? He clearly was in the key for at least 3 seconds! Another example of biased officiating against the Spurs?

it should not have been called three second violation, by rule when there is a deflection and the offensive team doesn't have totally position of the ball the three second count ends.

FromWayDowntown
12-04-2012, 03:43 PM
C'mon man, I'ma be real here. You aren't even slightly pissed at that no-call that cost us the game?

Assuming you're right (and you're not), are you ready to give back the Memphis win, which came after a blown call that favored the Spurs?

Dex
12-04-2012, 04:15 PM
If you think the refs are going to make that call in crunch time, in Miami, against Lebron James, during a scramble for the ball....then you are more delusional than the Laker fans that think Steve Nash is going to come back and be the savior.

mexpurs21
12-04-2012, 04:32 PM
What about Bosh? He stays below the rim for exactly 3 seconds.

Refs would've never call that.

Boomersgold
12-04-2012, 07:12 PM
it should not have been called three second violation, by rule when there is a deflection and the offensive team doesn't have totally position of the ball the three second count ends.

Well, that's what this thread is about. Your opinions on whether the 3 second violation should have been called.

Obstructed_View
12-04-2012, 07:31 PM
In no universe is that a three-second violation. He was making a move toward the basket, and then the ball was knocked out of his possession. According to the NBA rulebook, both of those negate any count of three seconds. If the refs called that, you'd have about 200 violations per game and the final score would be 40-39.

spurraider21
12-04-2012, 07:43 PM
No. Blaming refs is for Lakers fans unless its something absolutely ridiculous. The call you are asking for would never be made. Ever. Gary Neal was just wandering. Wasn't near ray Allen and wasn't contending for the loose ball. That's what I'm pissed about, not a phantom non call

Boomersgold
12-04-2012, 07:47 PM
No. Blaming refs is for Lakers fans unless its something absolutely ridiculous. The call you are asking for would never be made. Ever. Gary Neal was just wandering. Wasn't near ray Allen and wasn't contending for the loose ball. That's what I'm pissed about, not a phantom non call

Fair enough. The three second rule almost never gets called. It might as well be changed to 4 or 5 seconds. Gary Neal's defense was pretty bad, but so was Patty's. Mills left Wade wide open while helping the defense on Lebron, which potentially could have been dangerous.

therealtruth
12-04-2012, 08:49 PM
Fair enough. The three second rule almost never gets called. It might as well be changed to 4 or 5 seconds. Gary Neal's defense was pretty bad, but so was Patty's. Mills left Wade wide open while helping the defense on Lebron, which potentially could have been dangerous.

The Spurs won't win anything if they are still making dumb defensive mistakes in April.